Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble playing Bluray discs in it?

I've tried to watch a couple of movies and most of the time itwill start but shortly thereafter I'll get an error and the app will close.

Not a problem playing them on my PS4

Just replying to myself in case anyone else is having this issue.

It turns out that I have "BD Live" set as on in the settings. It's the BD Live thing that's failing and killing the discs playing.

I turned this off and now I can finally play movies on my console :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Upgrade to PS5 was worth it for the QoL upgrade that it is,faster loading is a god send. Was so sick of progress bars and twirling circles on PS4!!

Although I'm still playing games that came out on PS4 the boost to framerates or just the fact they actually stay bloody locked to 30fps is such a different change of pace for console gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Went to turn on the PS5 this evening to claim the Plus games for this month.

Console beeped when I turned it on and light flashed blue about five times, then white five times and then solid white. No output to the TV.

Tried shutting down using the power button as per Sony instructions and I got white flashing lights, followed by blue then orange, after about 30 seconds all lights finally turned off.

Tried turning on again and the exact same thing happened so I did a force shutdown by holding the power button and then unplugged for 30 seconds. Still no joy.

Same story on another TV. Eventually got it going on the PC monitor on the third go. I hope to God this isn't the start of issues popping up, I'm already having an issue with the right trigger on my controller.

And it's happened again tonight. Getting very annoyed now between this and the right trigger not working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

And it's happened again tonight. Getting very annoyed now between this and the right trigger not working properly.

Are you using rest mode?

I don't think that was quite fixed from launch, I haven't been using it at all as heard can cause issue's...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

Fieldog wrote: »
    Are you using rest mode?

I don't think that was quite fixed from launch, I haven't been using it at all as heard can cause issue's...

Yeah I've had the same problems recently with rest mode and external hard drive. Disabling rest mode does the trick but you'd of thought it would be fixed by now.

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Are you using rest mode?

Yes using rest mode but not using an external hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yes using rest mode but not using an external hard drive.

Try not using it a few days and see how you get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Picked up my new PS5 this morning after giving up my old one after launch due to the coil whine on it. This one seems to have the same issue. Very annoying electronic buzz when you launch a game. Almost silent when in menus. Will just have to put up with it now I guess.

Picked up my new PS5 this morning after giving up my old one after launch due to the coil whine on it. This one seems to have the same issue. Very annoying electronic buzz when you launch a game. Almost silent when in menus. Will just have to put up with it now I guess.

The best thing you can do is try not to listen for it because the more you do then the more you are gonna hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,570 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Balls I'd say you're just more susceptible to the noise than others. The whine/buzz annoys me but i just think of the ps4 pro days and figure it could be worse. Sucks though.

• Advertisement

Yeah its a balls alright and say I'm def more sensitive to it. I'll try using headphones and will hopefully eventually forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

what ps5 do you lads have? im torn between disc and digital... which is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

what ps5 do you lads have? im torn between disc and digital... which is better?

If you're never ever going to buy or borrow a game on disc or look to play a Blu Ray or dvd, get the discless. Its as simple as that. Otherwise, they're the exact same outside of appearance.

You're essentially relying on PlayStation Store prices and can't trade in games once done with them if you get the discless.

Personally, I have and would recommend the disc version.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Returned my faulty Dual Sense controller to Harvey Norman yesterday.
    R2 trigger was gone very loose and went off without touching in the odd game and used to fast forward Youtube and Netflix when flat on the bed.
    No hassle getting a refund as they had no new ones left in stock. Manager said they've had loads returned since launch with dodgy R2s and drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saz2020

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get my controller replaced by argos this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Looks like Sony are soon to allow the expanded storage slot to be used but also increasing the speeds the cooling fan can run at.

Suggestion is that the fan speed increase is to help dissipate heat generated from the SSD in the expansion slot.

If the console ends up being loud because of the SSD expansion im feckin selling it and buying a Series X

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Anyone have trouble capturing group audio? Playing Apex legends with buddies on PS4 and PC but the only voice that I can hear on playback is my own. Gone through all the settings, and everything seems to be set to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Maybe I am showing my ignorance here, but are people not being a bit precious about the noise that the PS5 console is making?

I have looked at YouTube videos for coil whine and they are practically sitting on top of the console trying to record the noise. When I sit back and am playing a game with the volume up I can't hear the console. If I put my ear on top of it, of course I will.

Compared to my PS4 which sounded like a jet taking off, the PS5 is silent most of the time in comparison.

Maybe I am just lucky...or have bad ears!

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Maybe I am showing my ignorance here, but are people not being a bit precious about the noise that the PS5 console is making?

I have looked at YouTube videos for coil whine and they are practically sitting on top of the console trying to record the noise. When I sit back and am playing a game with the volume up I can't hear the console. If I put my ear on top of it, of course I will.

Compared to my PS4 which sounded like a jet taking off, the PS5 is silent most of the time in comparison.

Coil whine can be seriously annoying. I had it on a PSU for my PC and it did my head in, eventually had to RMA it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Dave0301 wrote: »

Have a look at this and tell me i'm being precious afterwards

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115636638&postcount=1709

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I can barely hear that when you're standing beside it, can definitely hear it when your phone is 3 centimetres away.

Not a chance I'd hear it from 2.5 metres away on the sofa* with the sound on.

* Understand not everyone plays from a sofa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The disk drive is loud when it runs the disk but it lasts 20-30 seconds usually unless you're installing the game from the disk. Rest of the time, I don't hear a thing. Can't say it's something I'd feel the need to complain about. Maybe if it was sitting at a desk with it beside me but it's about 2 metres from from where I normally sit under the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

gerrybbadd wrote: »

But that's not coil whine is it? That is the noise from the disc spinning?

Mine has made that noise when installing or loading up from a disc at the start, but usually stops within 20 seconds.

Agreed if it was a constant thing when gaming it would be irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Playing with PS5 on a desk in front of me with it being normally less than arms length away, and it's extremely quiet. I've had it on by mistake and only realised it later when either I've gone to turn it on or left the heat off it.

Most of the videos complaining about coil whine are far too low pitch to actually be coil whine, and the person is as close as they can possible be with the camera. The disc drive is loud but there's not much that can be done about that, it's spinning at over 2.5x times that of the PS4 and that's going to be louder.

Most of the noise in general is probably the console resonating with whatever it's on, particularly if it's some hollow IKEA esc furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The disk drive is loud when it runs the disk but it lasts 20-30 seconds usually unless you're installing the game from the disk. Rest of the time, I don't hear a thing.

This is the same as mine. Makes a LOUD noise for 30 secs or so when I first turn it on but not a peep fro it threafter.

Surely this isn't what people are complaining about though? Has to be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's odd that Spider-Man Miles Morales does not support individual trophy tracking considering it's a Playstation exclusive and is supposed to be showing the capabilities of the PS5 to a lesser degree...

I have a question regarding auto uploading to the cloud (and the answers elsewhere online seem to be ambiguous): With the PS4 the auto uploading only takes place in rest mode to my knowledge. Am I correct in saying the PS5 cloud uploading happens automatically even as you're playing the game? The reason I ask is because as soon as I closed Bugsnax I went to do a manual upload and it told me that if I do that it will disable auto upload (which is weird; why not both?) It also showed exactly the same time and amount of data as my console storage.

I compared the times on the saves to set off the one in the cloud is the same as on the PS5.
    But yeah PS5 uploads right away for PS5 games. I upload the PS4 saves manually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

fixXxer wrote: »
    Anyone have trouble capturing group audio? Playing Apex legends with buddies on PS4 and PC but the only voice that I can hear on playback is my own. Gone through all the settings, and everything seems to be set to share.

I have in fortnite, I can héar them but they can't hear me, playing with friends on PS4 and Nintendo switch.

My new ps5 def has some buzzing sounds which I can hear from entering the room my console is in. It's worse when playing astros compared to ps4 games but still there. Not as bad as the first console I had though thankfully. With volume up pretty high or with headphones it can't be heard. It's def the console ad tried lifting it up and it makes no difference to the sound. Those with quite consoles are very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi all,
    If I was to buy some movies to play on the PS5 and I want the best possible quality\experience what sort\type of Blu-ray disc should I be going for? Are there now different types and does the PS5 play them all? I would like to have Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame as two that I would watch regularly for example. The Star Wars collection would be nice to have and possibly The Lord of the Rings series. I just want to make sure I am buying the one that will give me the best experience possible on the PS5 hardware coupled with my LG CX 55'.

Thanks,
    M

• Advertisement
Advertisement