Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    If

Yeah, maybe... I'm not too sure.

You need to go for the UHD Blu-Ray's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    If I was to buy some movies to play on the PS5 and I want the best possible quality\experience what sort\type of Blu-ray disc should I be going for? Are there now different types and does the PS5 play them all? I would like to have Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame as two that I would watch regularly for example. The Star Wars collection would be nice to have and possibly The Lord of the Rings series. I just want to make sure I am buying the one that will give me the best experience possible on the PS5 hardware coupled with my LG CX 55'.

Thanks,
    M

There are a few variables and issues here.

First off, you want UHD Blu-rays for the best experience. Problem is the PS5 won't run UHDs in Dolby Vision, which your TV does support. Of the movies mentioned above, only The Lord of the Rings has on-disc Dolby Vision, the rest only have HDR 10. You can watch Star Wars and the Marvel movies with Dolby Vision via the Disney + app on your TV, problem with this is that the sound is vastly inferior to the disc counterparts and you may encounter compression artefacts from the stream.

What I would recommend is:

Buy the UHD discs of Lord of the Rings
    Watch Star Wars/Marvel on D+ if you don't have a decent surround set up
    Watch Star Wars/Marvel on UHD if you do have a decent surround set up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

got a disc ps5 for 500 yessss

picking up spiderman today for it... kids (me without telling the wife) are so excited

have ps5 disc, series x, switch and loving them all

spiderman looks unbelievable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

got a disc ps5 for 500 yessss

picking up spiderman today for it... kids (me without telling the wife) are so excited

have ps5 disc, series x, switch and loving them all

spiderman looks unbelievable

Spiderman is grand but gets very very repetitive late on. Sunset Overdrive is a better game overall from Insomniac.

Some of the character movements and UIs are very similar. Two I noticed straight away were when Spiderman rolls when he hits the ground when he does a little spin in the air. The weapon wheel even looks and acts the same (blur behind the wheel and slow down of the game).

It's well worth playing though but don't burn yourself out on all the collectables.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Spiderman is grand but gets very very repetitive late on. Sunset Overdrive is a better game overall from Insomniac.

Some of the character movements and UIs are very similar. Two I noticed straight away were when Spiderman rolls when he hits the ground when he does a little spin in the air. The weapon wheel even looks and acts the same (blur behind the wheel and slow down of the game).

It's well worth playing though but don't burn yourself out on all the collectables.
    yeah gonna play through it and sell or trade it on

yeah gonna play through it and sell or trade it on

I finished the main game the other day and going to do the DLC next but then I'm going to play something completely different before I try Miles Morales.

I buy my games digitally on everything bar Switch because I never trade anything in and just prefer being able to try a new game without moving :pac: but I'd say I've definitely gotten value for money on Spiderman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Markitron wrote: »
    There are a few variables and issues here.

First off, you want UHD Blu-rays for the best experience. Problem is the PS5 won't run UHDs in Dolby Vision, which your TV does support. Of the movies mentioned above, only The Lord of the Rings has on-disc Dolby Vision, the rest only have HDR 10. You can watch Star Wars and the Marvel movies with Dolby Vision via the Disney + app on your TV, problem with this is that the sound is vastly inferior to the disc counterparts and you may encounter compression artefacts from the stream.

What I would recommend is:

Buy the UHD discs of Lord of the Rings
    Watch Star Wars/Marvel on D+ if you don't have a decent surround set up
    Watch Star Wars/Marvel on UHD if you do have a decent surround set up

Thanks a million, only have the LG TV with built in sound so for now the UHD Blu-rays seem like the way to go. Have no plans to get D+ at the moment as only have a wireless router with a 3 SIM in it. I know, any PS4\PS5 games I decide to download will take yonks but that is the main reason I went with the disc PS5.

Much appreciated,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

problem with this is that the sound is vastly inferior to the disc counterparts

This! People don't talk about this enough. I played Infinity War and Endgame through Disney+ on my Dolby Atmos setup, and I found myself walking around checking the speakers to see if they were working. The amp picked up the Dolby Atmos stream, but it was so, so poor compared to a disc.

If it's good surround sound you're looking for, my favourite example to this day is still Saving Private Ryan blu-ray with good old fashioned Dolby Digital 5.1. The bullets whizzing through the water on the opening scene are just WOW. And the German tanks approaching before the final battle scene... it actually changes the whole scene, as you hear the tanks coming before you do on regular stereo, and even before the characters notice in the movie.

• Advertisement

This! People don't talk about this enough. I played Infinity War and Endgame through Disney+ on my Dolby Atmos setup, and I found myself walking around checking the speakers to see if they were working. The amp picked up the Dolby Atmos stream, but it was so, so poor compared to a disc.

If it's good surround sound you're looking for, my favourite example to this day is still Saving Private Ryan blu-ray with good old fashioned Dolby Digital 5.1. The bullets whizzing through the water on the opening scene are just WOW. And the German tanks approaching before the final battle scene... it actually changes the whole scene, as you hear the tanks coming before you do on regular stereo, and even before the characters notice in the movie.

Most people use the TV speakers and at a push use a cheap soundbar or speakers. So they don't even know there's a difference. I'd imagine the percentage of people who have anything better is relatively small.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Most people use the TV speakers and at a push use a cheap soundbar or speakers. So they don't even know there's a difference.

Let them eat sound cake.

Let them eat sound cake.

Yup, I know people that have spent 3K on a telly and then just use the ****ty speakers that come with it. A massive upgrade on them costs relatively peanuts, people are missing out on half of the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I solved this on my tcl telly with a soundbar built in. Only happened with Disney plus but for my telly I had to turn on the night mode in the sound setting and then the sound was perfect. I'd look for a similar setti g in your own TV and see does it work for you.

iamtony wrote: »
    I solved this on my tcl telly with a soundbar built in. Only happened with Disney plus but for my telly I had to turn on the night mode in the sound setting and then the sound was perfect. I'd look for a similar setti g in your own TV and see does it work for you.

Thanks, but it's not the setup. As Markitron pointed out above, streaming services are compressing the crap out of the audio, to the point where it's Dolby Atmos in name only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Thanks, but it's not the setup. As Markitron pointed out above, streaming services are compressing the crap out of the audio, to the point where it's Dolby Atmos in name only.

Yeah i know what your saying but if the volumn is very low even on max volumn and only the Loud parts are loud then just have a look. It's a known issue with Disney+.

I must look out for a good uhd blueray to see the difference. I love watching stuff in dolby vision with the atmos soundbar. It sounds damn good to me from the streaming services as it is it will be interesting to see the difference.
    Shame the ps5 doesn't support atmos.

It will allow Atmos pass-through for blu-ray, so if your soundbar has a decoder, you're sorted. Just doesn't support if for games, which was a head-scratchingly bizarre decision by Sony.

Yeah i know what your saying but if the volumn is very low even on max volumn and only the Loud parts are loud then just have a look. It's a known issue with Disney+.

I must look out for a good uhd blueray to see the difference. I love watching stuff in dolby vision with the atmos soundbar. It sounds damn good to me from the streaming services as it is it will be interesting to see the difference.

Set the sound output to bitrate, not PCM, and you can get Atmos just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You know what? I've just realised that the loud buzzing sound the PS5 makes sometimes while I'm playing games is it uploading the saves to the cloud. Incredible. :)

thats your internets :D

playing spiderman yesterday and on 3 occasions the console froze **** itself and was making screaching noises... is that normal?

• Advertisement

playing spiderman yesterday and on 3 occasions the console froze **** itself and was making screaching noises... is that normal?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Hi all, couldn't get a PS5 at launch (circumstance, rather than physically being unable to get one), but hopeful of picking one up in late May / early June.

When I'm reading about the issues some people are having (coil whine, random crashing / freezing, controller problems) I'm kind of glad I didn't get one straight away. Haven't had the best luck with consoles, first PS4 I got at Xmas of launch year had to be sent back within 2 months with a fault. Also went through 3 PS3s, including a launch one. Believe me when I say it wasn't me as I treat them like babies.

I suppose my question is, are Sony ironing out the kinks as production goes on (I know some problems are software related). Will a PS5 I pick up May / June differ much from one picked up in November or is it still too early in the production cycle? Knowing my track record if there's a faulty console out there I'm bound to pick it up

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

tgdaly wrote: »

I suppose my question is, are Sony ironing out the kinks as production goes on (I know some problems are software related). Will a PS5 I pick up May / June differ much from one picked up in November or is it still too early in the production cycle? Knowing my track record if there's a faulty console out there I'm bound to pick it up
    Hard to know. I think if you want one, and can get one then you should just buy one. I've not had any significant issues with my machine and it's been used constantly since launch day.
    Even if you waited for 2 or 3 years there's still the possibility of buying a machine that will have an issue. Life's too short!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ya, I got a launch day PS5 and have had no issues with it. Few crashes during the first few weeks but nothing significant. Have not had a crash in months now.
    Cant hear coil whine either. Not sure if it's because it's a digital edition as that has less moving parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

THis happened to me a couple of times at first when playing Spiderman but stopped after that.

That screecihng noise is awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

MrStuffins wrote: »
    THis happened to me a couple of times at first when playing Spiderman but stopped after that.

That screecihng noise is awful!

Same here too. Terrible!!!

It happened in a high traffic area so just before rhino part starts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Set the sound output to bitrate, not PCM, and you can get Atmos just fine.

Ha, thanks for this. I bought a Sony soundbar before the PS5 launch, with Dolby Atmos as a feature. Could never get it to work however. Tried this method, and it works....

However, there's a new problem (isn't there always!). So, when i get Dolby Atmos, the resolution drops to 1080P (stays in HDR however). So it seems i can either get 4K with no Atmos, or Atmos with no 4K:rolleyes:

Advertisement