Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

This is seems to be much much better for motion sickness. I played for hours yesterday and didn't get it, as I said the only one that did slightly was gt7 and I'm not a regular user of the tech in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You can do a few things to limit sickness. Teleport instead of free walking. Use the tunnel effect too can help. Lower the brightness. Walk on the spot 🤣.

Horizon was gas with the option to walk by moving your arms rather than using the stick. Standing in my room walking in the spot and climbing hand over head 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭MikeRyan87

What a poor State of Play.

Was expecting too much from the 5 PSVR2 games.

Suicide Squad doesn't look great either.

RE4R on the other hand 🤤

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Well I'm a bit disappointed with it. I came home after a match pint for a go and she was watching tv in the dark room. I said grand, fire up the vr and give it a blast, nope!

The room was too dark and because I had set it up earlier in a standing position, it had a meltdown because I was seated. I couldn't do anything with it because it demanded that I recalibrate the room, but because it was dark, I couldn't. I got nowhere with it and just turned the lot off.

I will give it a go again later and then decide if I should flog it.

Things I like, light weight, controllers... Small box... I'm struggling here. I wouldn't say it's more comfortable than vr1, but it's 100% less cumbersome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, the entire technology is based on cameras that can accurately track positioning - and they need decent lighting to do so, so it shouldn't be a surprise that it struggles in dark rooms. Even the highest-end film cameras buckle under low-light conditions, let alone integrated cameras in a consumer VR headset :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

But to be fair, gen 1 didn't have the issue, ya think things woulda moved on a bit. ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

VR1 had lights for head tracking but VR2 doesn't have anything to focus on the same way. From what I remember with VR1, the light from your tv helped the camera see but if you sat too far away I think it has trouble in the dark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah VR1 was a bit of a Frankenstein's monster of a device given the tech involved and the camera - which wasn't explicitly designed for VR purposes - needed separate light data to track what was going on. Hence why you needed a bright light on the controller (light bar or the PS Move 'balls') and the headset. I think it did struggle a bit in very low or very bright light conditions, although naturally the light given off by the devices wouldn't hurt in low-light conditions. It was very primitive, cobbled together VR tech even compared to the first wave of PC headsets.

Given the generational leap on offer here - finger tracking, integrated cameras, proper VR controllers - having to have the light turned on seems like a very small price to pay.

Played loads of no man's sky today. They have done an amazing job.

It's the small VR specific things that really set it apart. The menu that floats from your left hand and you use the right hand to interact with your inventory like something Tony Stark would have.

Your scanning visor. You don't just press a button and your character turns it on. You actually have to lift your left hand up beside your head then press the button. It's a small thing, but it makes it seem like you do flick an actual visor to start scanning.

But the cream is flying the space ship. Sit into the cockpit, reach down and grab the throttle and joystick. Push forward for full throttle and pull back and you take off. You have full 1 to 1 control of the ship using virtual controls. It's an amazing feeling.

I took off went into space and then turned around and came back down and landed. Incredible stuff. Looking out the side window of the ship as you cruise at high altitude.

I know I prob get over enthusiastic about games at the best of times, but this really is next level stuff. Not just "kinda cool" in small bursts, but I'm not sure I could play this game any other way now it's so good.

Ran a few errands today, thought I'd get something for myself...

• Advertisement

I picked up the charger for the controllers. Feel it's like the controllers lose battery fast and having two separate cables were annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Was thinking the same,might wait for one of the 3rd party ones on Amazon next week that hold the headset aswell as charge the controllers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I think they only get around 4-4.5 hours per charge. But the charging dock is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You're killing me man. I've trying to buy a house and every time I come on this thread I have to take 10 mins to talk myself out of buying a third VR headset

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

How's the theatre mode on these? Is it a viable option over a standard 4k telly?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Let us know how this thing is keep considering buying the thing but it very expensive currently :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭brady12

I'm building one and I couldn't talk myself out buying a 2nd one 😅🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well I guess you need stuff to put in the house, so consider it home décor.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,912 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Or if you wear your VR headset all the time then you don't need to do anything with the house at all 😂

So I'm not sure if it's because I wear glasses or a limitation of VR lenses but things are only sharp on the display if I look straight. If I look around at the corners it's not clear, I have to move my head and look straight. I don't believe it's eye tracking as it's the same in the 2D menus?

Also I noticed when adjusting the eye distance there's no definite sweet spot, it doesn't seem to be an issue if it's not dead on.

Based on that, my initial impressions aren't great so far. When I get into a game after 5-10 minutes it's not so bad but definitely seems to limit my impression of the tech. Eye tracking is cool in Rez though, but in GT7 if I look around without moving my head it looks crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Damien360

The only test I can see to test this for yourself is put in contact lenses and do the same test again. If you can, would you mind posting back here as I wear glasses also and I'm debating buying.

Son has a VR headset on his PC and I used it without getting sick and didn't see anything strange like that. His is a HTC vive so maybe the tech is a little different.

I find the same with the blurry edges. I'd hoped if you looked at the side eye tracking would then render that clearer but it doesn't seem to work like that. I think it's to do with the shape of the lens so not sure if anything can be done.

There is a sweet spot that is very clear but it's small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭jj880

Psvr2 is fresnel lens right? So there would be a bit of adjustment for the sweet spot but shouldnt be as bad as you describe.

Ive no doubt Sony will produce top AAA games for psvr2 but Im a bit surprised they didnt use pancake lens for a larger area of full focus.

It's outputting at 1080p rather than 4k in cinema mode I think, but it will do 120fps. So if you didn't have a TV that did 120fps this is an alternative.

But I'm not sure I'd play for hours with the headset on.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Played 2 hours of Pistol Whip and am back in love with it again.

It was wise not to release Beat Saber on launch day to give this a bit of time to breathe.

GT7 was incredible but need a wheel and pedals to get the most out of it.Not sure I'll invest as I've already completed all of the Menus.

Call of the Mountain seems great so far but only played 20 mins. Heard the climbing sequences get too repetitive.

Looking forward to Walking Dead Saints and Sinners upgrade as I bought original on PSVR but never played it.

Same with Fracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was totally confused about TWDS&S, I thought it was a new game coming out, Chapter 2. Didn't realise the first was getting an update. I liked it, but the movement put me off playing more of it. So will be nice to give it another go.

My arms are wrecked from Ragnarock. And my upper legs. Guessing bouncing on the spot while drumming does that. Great game if you like this kind of metal-y music (mostly the fun/not-serious stuff, Alestorm, Gloryhammer, Electric Callboy, Paddy and the Rats, etc). But my god does it get hard! Great game to keep me going until Beat Saber releases, if it ever does...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Loving Pistol Whip again myself. Gives a dam good workout too!

And for a sitting down game, Drums Rock builds up a sweat also, plus the music on this is more up my street.

Really enjoying both of these, but will try give Horizon a bash in the next day or so... Best get my climbing arms ready!

It's very good but no it's never going to be an option over a 4k telly. It's a different experience. Try drink a beer or a cup of tea while wearing it and come back to me ha ha.

I got this the first evening but haven't seen it since. I was playing horizon the other night and while I was playing my smart lights had turned off and I was playing with just the light from the TV and it was fine. To be fair the TV is 65 inch and very bright with horizon on it and could of help light the room enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭jj880

Just watched todays TLOU episode "Left Behind". It's good. Enjoying the series overall. HBO rarely disappoint.

Advertisement