Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

GameStop exclusive alright but I'd say if you went in tomorrow you'd get one. Unlikely by the weekend as good reports get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

No man's sky isn't compatible for psvr2 yet, nor is synth riders

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Have they switched on the ability to play 3D films on PS5 yet? I got 3D Blu-Ray Dr. Strange still waiting on the shelf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

No, and I don't believe it's in the pipeline either. You would be hard pressed to find a tv made in the last 10 years that supports 3D playback and it probably costs too much wrt licencing the required software from the Blu-Ray Forum to bother supporting it on PSVR2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Anyone looking at dyschronia? reviews seem decent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭jj880

I tried to set it up with PSVR + PS5. Quickly found out the PS5 functionality for this is paywalled to a crowd called RADtv who have a downloadable app in the PS5 TV section. Instructions stated you can rip your 3d blurays (or acquire elsewhere) then sideload via USB if you pay a monthly sub. Was a complete rigmarole as you also had to mess with metadata and naming conventions on your rips so gave up in the end and setup a plex server for Quest 2.

A PSVR2 media player for all 3d formats would be amazing. The 8k 360 videos on Quest are very immersive but not the sharpest as the picture is obviously spread 360. PSVR2 with the eye tracking rendering could take it to the next level. E.g. you can click and drag this video with your mouse to get an idea of the 360. Works really well in a VR headset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zXZIgnub6w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Synth Riders is working with PSVR2, just had a go at lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gave gran turismo a spin with my wheel setup. Hopped in the Mk7 golf GTi as I used to own one, it did feel quite like being back in the car. The image quality is not as sharp as I was expecting though, this is my first VR headset so wasn't really sure what to expect either.

Post edited by Royale with Cheese on

• Advertisement

Ah yes, it just updated. But not a given that psvr1 work with the psvr2

Yeah, I tested it aginst a car I'd IRL (an RX8) and it was identical

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Apparently the light glare during night racing in your rearview mirror is realistic in GT7. I wonder could eye tracking apply depth of field, so if you're looking through your windscreen the dash could be out of focus as you're not looking at it. That would be pretty cool.

Looks like GameStop have stock available if their website is to be believed. Be interesting to hear from staff if they're seeing much interest.

Bit strange to give exclusivity to GameStop though, I know the US has some exclusivity deals but considering our lack of game shops here it doesn't make much sense and not something we normally have. No reason the shop dedicated to selling Funkopops and merch should get dibs over Smyths?

There's no PSVR1 games automatically working with PSVR2, only those that have been updated by their developers, which is still relatively few. And of those a fair few are charging an upgrade fee. No Man's Sky & Walking Dead S&S are the main ones I can think of where the upgrade has been announced but not released yet (think they're both due next month). Beat Saber was also mentioned but I don't think confirmed whether its upgrade from PSVR1 or completely new game purchase, may find out more at tomorrow State of Play. Updates for PSVR2 versions of Synth Riders, Pistol Whip, Thumper, After the Fall, Moss 1&2 all look to be active.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Part of the inescapable problem with VR is that your eyes are right up to the displays, so you'll always be able to spot things like individual pixels in a way you don't really get with standard TVs at regular viewing distances. Given it needs to project two images as well (with more demanding rendering and frame rate requirements) it will also have limitations.

But rest assured the PSVR2 is sharper than pretty much any other mainstream VR headset on the market - those OLED screens will be a big leap over others, and it's much better at limiting light bleed compared to other headsets too. So yeah while there are limits you're definitely getting pretty much the best image quality VR has to offer at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,927 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd imagine it's way to expensive for most casual buyers.

If it had been €400 I probably would have preorder one, €500 then would have maybe got one if the launch games were excellent but at €600 it's just to much. And that's coming from someone who spent €350 on a keyboard.

I find adjusting the lens distance can help with that 'screen door' effect that is produced by having the lenses so close, much like those lenticular images or magic eye things, your eyes just need to relax into it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Cotts72

You do need to line it up with your eyes. If you wear it too high or low so your eyes are looking anywhere other than dead in the middle of the lens it gets blurry.

I'd hoped the eye tracking would stop this and where ever you looked was in focus, but maybe it's more to do with the shape of the lens.

Gave the star wars demo a blast. It's well worth the demo. Holding the gun in both hands, aiming down the site. Pulling the trigger pew pew pew Amazing. 😂😂

Will try no man's sky next but so far every game has been great fun.

Okay, the left-hand menu in no man's sky might be the coolest thing I've seen in VR.

If you haven't used it, you lift up your left hand, face it palm down and then a hologram menu magically appears and you select the options with your right hand. Recharge items, build things, fix things. Feels like Iron Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For anyone who wears glasses, I was just having a look at VR Opticians and they have an ETA on lenses for this of end of March. I use their lenses for the Quest 2 and they work great.

Also for anyone not aware, there is a PSVR thread in the Virtual Reality forum

• Registered Users Posts: 29,608 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, gt7 and no man's sky look so epic, damn jealous of ye! Would be great if a place hired this kit out for a week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Didn't pick mine up till late afternoon, as no electricity here so no rush. But power came back about 2 hours ago so I've a bit played.

Pistol Whip is Pistol Whip. Very entertaining, but really makes me want to play Beat Saber. GT7 is crazy, it's not perfect but it's still stunning to experience. Its the first time i really "felt" the carousel on the Nürburgring. It don't have any cars I previously had, but the C63s is close enough...

Horizon is downloading, and I'll be giving NMS a spin shortly. Too many games I want to try now!

Also picked up that city builder one, GS doing VR2 games half price today so took a chance for twenty bobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I see Resident Evil 4 VR update development has started and will be released as a free update at some point, that will be a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭recyclops

Resi 4 vr was the game that almost made me buy a VR headset loved it from start to finish, it may have been due to the fact I knew the game so well.

The vr2 looks excellent just needs some heavy hitting games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Spend way to much time with psvr yesterday. Excellent! Horizon is gorgeous and fun, gt7 is very cool but the only game I didn't feel I could play for hours without feeling sick and resident evil 7 is probably my favourite experience so far, very scary stuff haha!

I found that the tracks that level and direction changed sharply (like most of the nordschleife or the corkscrew in Laguna Seca) in GT7 were the ones that made me feel 'off' when using VR. One feature that blew me away in GT was the vr replay as it places you right adjacent to the track to watch the cars fly by inches from you (although there's no walk-around feature in pause mode), I'd a race recently against some top split drivers recently in a community lobby where we raced in Spa in the wet and jesus watching it back in VR mode was almost as fun as the race itself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It seems I'm quite susceptible to motion sickness. Going to have to really ease myself into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭divide_by_zero

I was the same couldn't play anything at all with the original PSVR. Bought myself a desk fan and had it blowing into my face, could play NMS for hours after that with no motion sickness. I was walking around too not using the teleport option.

• Advertisement

You definitely need to watch yourself when starting off in VR, get your 'VR legs' as they say. The first day I got my PSVR1 played for a few hours due to the excitement, but then felt so bad couldn't touch it again for at least a week. Advice I was given was start with 20mins, then build yourself up an extra 5mins a day, definitely helped me. Although it is game dependent too so if a certain game is making you feel bad put that on the shelf until you've a bit more time in VR played with easier (sickness wise) titles

Advertisement