Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

34 Days of back to back snooker begins today !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Judds attitude is the big difference. Always go back to the time he was engaging in a twitter row during a mid session interval at the crucible, 2015 i think. That young immature idiot was going nowhere fast. Credit to him for turning it around. Maturity on and off the table is impressive. Seems like a genuinely nice bloke, a little boring even!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hard to see how he won't beat the ranking title record really. 3 a year for 8 years doesn't seem unreasonable given the opposition.

He'll smash the titles record, no question, but how many world titles will decide his legacy i think. That's the standard measure. He has, what, maybe 15 years to get to or surpass hendrys 7. Not sure about it but then i couldn't see ronnie ever getting the 6th so it shouldn't be outside judds grasp the way things stand.

He'll smash the titles record, no question, but how many world titles will decide his legacy i think. That's the standard measure. He has, what, maybe 15 years to get to or surpass hendrys 7. Not sure about it but then i couldn't see ronnie ever getting the 6th so it shouldn't be outside judds grasp the way things stand.

Don't see him getting that one. I'd say 5 maybe. Robbo, Wilson and maybe a few in the shadows will cost him a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I think he can win 6-7 World titles on top of the titles record, easily, really his main competition is Selby and Robertson who are pushing 40 now, Judd is only 31...apart from them who is there to stop him dominating.

The likes of Wilson, Ding, Allen etc..aren't good enough, there just not on his level, maybe Wilson can improve but the rest I just don''t see it.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    Don't see him getting that one. I'd say 5 maybe. Robbo, Wilson and maybe a few in the shadows will cost him a few.

Something about judd seems to be more vulnerable in the early rounds of these tournaments, like thepchaiya had him all but beat the year judd won it. 5 would be a decent haul for him if he could manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I dunno Trump is 31. Wait till he has a few kids running around the practice table.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I think he can win 6-7 World titles on top of the titles record, easily, really his main competition is Selby and Robertson who are pushing 40 now, Judd is only 31...apart from them who is there to stop him dominating.

The likes of Wilson, Ding, Allen etc..aren't good enough, there just not on his level, maybe Wilson can improve but the rest I just don''t see it.

I do think there isn't a huge array of contenders alright and not exactly a huge number of talented kids bubbling under either. So it's definitely there for him. One concern for me is he's going to have such a busy season, no let up, and possibly arrive in sheffield overcooked. Maybe he'll take the foot off the gas a bit after the masters though. For whatever reason i thought he looked a bit jaded or out of sorts at the worlds this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

his main competition is Selby and Robertson who are pushing 40 now, Judd is only 31...apart from them who is there to stop him dominating.

Historically, even 31 was getting on a bit. Davis won his last World Championship at that age. Hendry was 30. Now it seems 40 is no age. Many players seem to be peaking late 30s. Robertson is better than ever now. However, that could be ominous for the rest if that means that Trump will keep improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

For whatever reason i thought he looked a bit jaded or out of sorts at the worlds this year.

He wasn't the same after lockdown. He wasn't great in the June Championship League or the Tour Championship so I wasn't expecting great things from him at the Worlds. Maybe it was the pressure of the "Crucible Curse". Also trying to beat Robertson's century record.

• Advertisement

What a serious performance tonight from Judd Trump! No one could have lived with him.

A bit premature methinks that he's going to be this 'force' for at least the next 10yrs... It just doesn't seem feasible, with the amount of dedication that would be required. No doubt he has the skill, talent, and temperament.

Don't know about all this Judd talk from every single pundit, and the pressure that goes with it (supposedly he's going to win all around him - and well he might, but hardly a certainty).... Be great to see him land 4 or five World's, and beat Ronnie's ranking titles record. All that focus and practise might take it's toll somewhere down the line; with the possibility of 'burnout'... Can only hope he's still as good in 4/5 years time :)

He might be a 'machine' , but not a literal one :pac:

I reckon he should do a Ronnie, and do a lot of picking and choosing; maybe in the next 18 months or so he can ease off a bit. He's consolidated enough points for sure to leave him at the top, with I imagine a gulf between him and the second ranked..

The two year ranking system would be in his favour were he to decide to ease off.. Don't know for sure, but it might be yearly now...

Be great to see him thrash Selby in the final, even though I'd rather Jack beats the jester tomorrow..

And Ronnie's still in the mix.. Doesn't seem to have any nerves nowadays, and is improving with every comp. His antics aside, which were annoying no doubt; but they do serve to keep the 'Mercurial O'Sullivan' legend going. Not done much wrong tonight did Ronnie. No kamikaze shots, and some magnificent safety play. He's definitely still a force in the game. Top 3 atm in terms of winning comps in the near future are Judd, with Ronnie/Robertson joint second imo. Selby - nah :p. Don't think he has enough about him, so I'll have him fourth in line :pac:

Next year's WC will be highly anticipated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

On the other hand, being struck in Milton Keynes the players are not doing any real travelling this year. In previous years, the top players would be pulling out of tournaments by now, complaining of jet lag from flying back and forth to China. They've a rest now and January/February will not be as intense as these last 34 days have been.

On the other hand, being struck in Milton Keynes the players are not doing any real travelling this year. In previous years, the top players would be pulling out of tournaments by now, complaining of jet lag from flying back and forth to China. They've a rest now and January/February will not be as intense as these last 34 days have been.

Good point. Absence of the china events should help alright, not to mention the one was going to be held in saudi arabia. Hadn't taken that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I think time has finally caught up with Ronnie.

I remember hearing this in 2005.

He won the world championship a few months ago. Hes bee in the finals of the Northern Irish and the Scottish and the semis of the Grand Prix all in the last 3 weeks with 4 new cue tips and no practice. Hes number 3 in the world. He was ranked 39 a few years ago.

Trump was just flawless.

Well when I say time has caught up with him, I mean it in the sense that he's on the way down and someone who is raising the game to new heights is on the way up. Maybe he'll have another resurgence and maybe he's playing the long game to come good for April. I hope so!

Come on Selby! turn this into a slog and put the squeeze on him.

Have tended to be hard on lisowski last couple of years but would love him to take a big leap forward here. Just an exquisite player to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Yates is out of control, can’t open his mouth now without making a joke or pun.

Yeah Lisowski’s deft technique is very enjoyable to watch. Still lacks a killer instinct though.

Hopefully It's Foulds and Hendon after the midsession on comms.

Hopefully It's Foulds and Hendon after the midsession on comms.

That's more like it.. :D No Yates tf :pac:

Come on Jack!

• Advertisement

This is great stuff from Lisowski, hope he can continue it and win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Lisowski playing some beautiful snooker, but also looking pretty ruthless at the table. Looks like he means business tonight. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Come on Selby! turn this into a slog and put the squeeze on him.

As much as I like Selby and a good hard slog I have to admit that these breaks from lisowski are surprisingly enjoyable.

He'll hardly mess it up from here. Impressive display but we've always known he's capable of this, just producing it when required is all.

amens wrote: »
    As much as I like Selby and a good hard slog I have to admit that these breaks from lisowski are surprisingly enjoyable.

Ah yeah, I was jesting a bit with that post to be honest, I don't really have any particular favorites, I just like seeing the best player win, but I also feel Selby gets too much stick.

But Lesowski has been pretty flawless here, great snooker from him.

Crazy, jack, crazy. Why does he keep doing that stuff? So casual about it too.

I'd bet my life savings judd wouldn't even have contemplated playing that blue the way jack did and judd is a far better right handed than jack.

I doubt Selby's even 9/4 to win from here... Will check now

I doubt Selby's even 9/4 to win from here... Will check now
    6/4 :eek:

• Advertisement

Even with the lead slightly worried for jack here, will be losing a few brain cells way this frame is panning out.

Advertisement