Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can’t you sleep?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

For meditation try headspace, it definitely helps give you some tools to quieten the mind. I think I got maybe 4 hours last night but it was with vivid dreams so it didn't feel like much sleep at all, still feel great this morning though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I personally won't ever go down the alcohol route, I've had issues with it in the past, not just sleep related, stopped drinking few years ago. What do you mean by a circuit break?

A break to reset tolerance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

For meditation try headspace, it definitely helps give you some tools to quieten the mind. I think I got maybe 4 hours last night but it was with vivid dreams so it didn't feel like much sleep at all, still feel great this morning though.

been recently recommended this myself, still have to fit it in

been recently recommended this myself, still have to fit it in

It can be as little as 10 minutes a day, we all have 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I work alternate shifts, days nights every second month so re-adjusting is a brute ,just when i get used to a certain pattern I'm back on my alternate shift. Falling asleep is not the problem but waking up after 3 or max 4 hours is a killer because then your fully awake at lets say 3.30 am and that's it.:(:eek:

• Advertisement

It can be as little as 10 minutes a day, we all have 10 mins

its very true alright, if something is not a part of my normal routine, i tend to forget it, it takes me a while to adjust routines

I read a book called The Science of Sleep by Matthew Walker, it's fascinating. He did a podcast with Joe Rogan, and it's very good, worth a listen if you have some time to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

beerguts wrote: »
    If you are having issues regularly getting a good night sleep do talk to your GP. I let it go for years getting only an hour maybe 2 hours a night and it ****ed up my life. Im only getting back into a normal rhythm now a year after seeking help.

On a lighter note I had the guts of a bottle of brandy last night and I was one groggy bastard all day as if I was up with a young kid all night :)

Talk to your gp is solid advice. The Mater Private and the Bon Secour. Both have Sleep Disorder clinics, maybe the OP could get referred

https://www.materprivate.ie/dublin/centre-services/all-services/sleep-disorders-clinic/

https://www.bonsecours.ie/dublin-departments/dublin-respiratory

I know firsthand how debilitating insomnia is. It CAN lead to other health issues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I have no problem going asleep.My problem is staying asleep.

dubstarr wrote: »
    I have no problem going asleep.My problem is staying asleep.

i can have both issues, waking regularly is my current situation, my fitness band is making me realise, my perceptions of my sleep, could be worse than my actual sleep, im spending too long in light sleep, and not enough in deep sleep, regularly shifting into light sleep

• Advertisement

i can have both issues, waking regularly is my current situation, my fitness band is making me realise, my perceptions of my sleep, could be worse than my actual sleep, im spending too long in light sleep, and not enough in deep sleep, regularly shifting into light sleep

I wouldn't pay to much heed to those wrist based sleep trackers it's just an estimate based on heart rate and movement, to truly tell how much time your brain operates in different stages you'll need a proper sleep study.

The simplest way to work out how well you slept is to see how you feel the next day.

I wouldn't pay to much heed to those wrist based sleep trackers it's just an estimate based on heart rate and movement, to truly tell how much time your brain operates in different stages you'll need a proper sleep study.

The simplest way to work out how well you slept is to see how you feel the next day.

ah yea i know its a pinch of salt situation, but i dont truly need a full sleep assessment, the only problem with the emotional approach is, what if you fell like sh1t every morning, i always feel tired upon waking, and some days that never truly lifts

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If you are on any medication it can leave a hangover effect the next day. Also if you sleep well after a bad spell, the same can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Keep getting abducted by aliens, then put straight back as soon as they look at my ugly mug. FFS let me sleep you busturds!

Advertisement