Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can’t you sleep?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fretting about not being able to sleep is worse than not being able to sleep.. And increases insomnia. I seldom sleep through and enjoy pottering and doing housework in the dark hours .

Graces7 wrote: »
    Fretting about not being able to sleep is worse than not being able to sleep.. And increases insomnia. I seldom sleep through and enjoy pottering and doing housework in the dark hours .

Yes Orthosomnia (when you worry so much about getting a so called perfect nights sleep it stops you from sleeping) I wish I could learn to let go but unfortunately the only times I sleep ok is when I'm on holidays.

Yes Orthosomnia (when you worry so much about getting a so called perfect nights sleep it stops you from sleeping) I wish I could learn to let go but unfortunately the only times I sleep ok is when I'm on holidays.

You mean they invented a name for it? oh MY!

Just accept the way you are? That relaxes you. I get up and do housework. It is lying there that does the damage.

My other issue is the hypersomnia that comes with CFS/ME and SAD. I can clock up to 19 hours of the 24 in a bad spell. Sheer waste of time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

.anon. wrote: »
    Piriton - an over-the-counter antihistamine helps me get off (to sleep, I mean).

Is that addictive and how would you take it to aid sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

dubstarr wrote: »
    Is that addictive and how would you take it to aid sleep.

I googled it and won't be taking it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Managed to cause enough chaos lately so find myself busily planning next steps at night time

I googled it and won't be taking it

Interesting. It is basically a hay fever medication and very effective. Which has as do many antihistamines the side effect of sleepiness. Works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

A three and a half year old and a 26 month old. Been up since 5.30. Currently watching the muppets movie, im ok with it tbh.

Great movie to be fair

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Had a horrendous night sleep last night. Had a cup of chamomile and took a melatonin. One or other usually does the trick. Was out for about an hour, maybe 2 but woke up and pretty much stayed awake until after the GF went to work. Called in a half day cos had a wicked headache. Not usual for me. Anyway, dozed off and woke about 10:30. Got up, took an Advil and feel a lot better. Should be good for the rest of the week now.

iamstop wrote: »
    Had a horrendous night sleep last night. Had a cup of chamomile and took a melatonin. One or other usually does the trick. Was out for about an hour, maybe 2 but woke up and pretty much stayed awake until after the GF went to work. Called in a half day cos had a wicked headache. Not usual for me. Anyway, dozed off and woke about 10:30. Got up, took an Advil and feel a lot better. Should be good for the rest of the week now.

Easier for me as I do not have to be anywhere at any time.. Easier too when I stopped worrying about it! The Piriton helps greatly and I have serious allergies anyways.

Been awake for a few hours now; storm raging and cats in and out. But I can rest later. Nothing needing me except the cats I " called home " ie Canada when I woke so all is fine now.

Old age has its advantages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I can never sleep beside someone ..even if they don't snore. :(

Nonsense, you just havent found the right person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I always sleep badly on the nights when I need sleep the most. Usually that'd be before an early morning for a race or a hike, or an appointment, or working in a new location. It's weird to get anxious and restless before events that are supposed to be fun (as opposed to ones that could reasonably considered somewhat stressful).

Video games and social media stop me from over-thinking about anything else, but don't exactly help with falling asleep either.

This is exactly me! Woke at 6 this morning, and slept on / off..because I'm working in a new spot tomorrow. Same happens for races/events.. it's a weird one..was tired going to bed but for some reason the mind overthinks I reckon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Anybody....... What is the recommend hours sleep you should get each night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Dunno, I guess any person sleeping next this one would get an urge to punch the poster in the head. Would be difficult to sleep then

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Dunno, I guess any person sleeping next this one would get an urge to punch the poster in the head. Would be difficult to sleep then

Only you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is the secret of life!

I have used it for decades..Your post reminds me to send for more.. ;) Thank you!

Does it not leave you feeling groggy when you wake up...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Why not just say a 2 year old. I don’t get it

Coz there is a huge difference between a 26 month old, and say a 2 and 10 month old :-).
    But yeah, most people would just say a 2 year old....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Ah here, please.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Ah here, please.

Hey I am married and in love...... I am just up studying for an exam.

Jequ0n wrote: »

In English?

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    Does it not leave you feeling groggy when you wake up...

Not at all. Just refreshed,,But then we are all different. And sometimes if you have not slept well for a while you do wake up groggy after any sleep. .

It works great for me thankfully. :)

Tuesday nights I tend to sleep badly. Last night was successful thanks to lemsip max and a few glasses of wine :)

Can I suggest a bit of Rumpy pumpy, something to poke and something to choke as a pre-bedtime activity.
    Physical exertion, is always good for a nights sleep!!

Sorry I'm too lazy to go back in the thread, but to the person who said that they were having trouble sleeping due to autism, have you tried taking melatonin I did read that autistic people often don't produce enough so I could be worth trying to see if it improves things.

Sorry I'm too lazy to go back in the thread, but to the person who said that they were having trouble sleeping due to autism, have you tried taking melatonin I did read that autistic people often don't produce enough so I could be worth trying to see if it improves things.

Never tried it. I do get acupuncture on both the Kidney and Liver meridians and An Mian.

Hope the above is helping you.

What are people's experiences of seeking help on dealing with insomnia from a doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I find it hard to shut my brain down. Like I think I was probably awake till nearly 2 in bed last night and then awake at 0513 when I looked at the time! Didn't really get back asleep, so I just get up really early and do stuff. It's weird because I never feel sleepy, or physically tired. I exercise most days so I don't know what I have to do to just go to bed and sleep for 8 hours, well unless I drink and smoke a load of weed or something. To me being able to go to bed and just sleep for ages is like a superpower.

I find it hard to shut my brain down. Like I think I was probably awake till nearly 2 in bed last night and then awake at 0513 when I looked at the time! Didn't really get back asleep, so I just get up really early and do stuff. It's weird because I never feel sleepy, or physically tired. I exercise most days so I don't know what I have to do to just go to bed and sleep for 8 hours, well unless I drink and smoke a load of weed or something. To me being able to go to bed and just sleep for ages is like a superpower.

Same bout 25 hrs sleep a week

THC and alcohol work

Other stuff is all placebo to a real insomniac

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Same bout 25 hrs sleep a week

THC and alcohol work

Other stuff is all placebo to a real insomniac

Yeah but I'd rather get no sleep than be foggy from booze the next day, so I try and only drink once or maybe twice a week these days.
    I've just kind of accepted it now, I don't sleep much at all, but I'm still more active than anyone I know.
    Meditating most days, a sleep therapist, clean diet, exercise, all of that stuff, still doesn't come easy.

• Advertisement

Hope the above is helping you.

What are people's experiences of seeking help on dealing with insomnia from a doctor?

Re-reading Joe Duffys biography!! My GP is a dope from the cheap contract the HSE would purchase. He is no good except for signing forms!!!

Advertisement