Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can’t you sleep?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Yeah but I'd rather get no sleep than be foggy from booze the next day, so I try and only drink once or maybe twice a week these days.
    I've just kind of accepted it now, I don't sleep much at all, but I'm still more active than anyone I know.
    Meditating most days, a sleep therapist, clean diet, exercise, all of that stuff, still doesn't come easy.

I think it's the mind in my case

Overactive and constant thought

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think that's the case for most people who can't sleep. My mother isn't far off 70 and is the exact same as myself, so I think we're just wired this way. She's healthy and quite active for her age too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hope the above is helping you.

What a re people's experiences of seeking help on dealing with insomnia from a doctor?

Probably about the same as seeking help with pain relief from a doctor..

I think that's the case for most people who can't sleep. My mother isn't far off 70 and is the exact same as myself, so I think we're just wired this way. She's healthy and quite active for her age too.

The constant thought is mostly a waste of time

The only thing is i find I've already thought up the answers to lots of unasked questions when they arise , which has its uses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

That is the liver meridian!!!

• Advertisement

That is the liver meridian!!!

What's that?

Astrology?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Drinking too much tea since working from home, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Thinking bout the cringe thing I said in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ste551

Childhood trauma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

What's that?

Astrology?

You point is liver 8

https://acumeridianpoints.com/liver/liv-8-ququan/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭4Ad

20+ years of shift has my sleep fecked, and I wasn't great to start with, thw whole family suffer with poor sleep..I am never really really tired, doesn't matter how often or far I run I'm just not tired.. I take a quarter of a 10mg sleeping tablet (Stillnoct) to get to sleep everynight,unless I have had a lot of drink..
    Generally wake at 4am and eat a bowl of porridge which puts me back to sleep again.
    It doesn't work before bed though.

4Ad wrote: »
    20+ years of shift has my sleep fecked, and I wasn't great to start with, thw whole family suffer with poor sleep..I am never really really tired, doesn't matter how often or far I run I'm just not tired.. I take a quarter of a 10mg sleeping tablet (Stillnoct) to get to sleep everynight,unless I have had a lot of drink..
    Generally wake at 4am and eat a bowl of porridge which puts me back to sleep again.
    It doesn't work before bed though.

It can't be good to be taking sleepers every night in the long run. Would you not be better off weaning off them?
    I have some benzos upstairs somewhere but I don't see the point in taking them to try and sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Can never switch off from work, always thinking of what needs to be done, what can be improved, what we done wrong today, etc. Find it difficult to sleep more than 5 hours a night, unless I put away a bottle or 2 of wine, which will give me 6 to 8 hours. 20 odd years like this and it doesn't really bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I’m trying to work out where I can cut back where I can offset the €9000 in 2 paycuts I’ve been given this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Just watch the Ireland team play soccer lads and you'll be out like a light in minutes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just had a weird dream involving an enclosed field and three people wearing roughly hewn wooden masks covering their heads just staring at me in some eerie Wickerman vibe, so thought fcuk that, I'm getting up. :eek: :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sdiwan

Have gotten used to waking at 4 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

THC and alcohol work

I personally think it's a dysfunctional method of achieving sleep, but I can understand why a person with insomnia would go down this road, it's a dreadful affliction, assume you ve tried all the usual approachs?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I personally think it's a dysfunctional method of achieving sleep, but I can understand why a person with insomnia would go down this road, it's a dreadful affliction, assume you ve tried all the usual approachs?

Alcohol and THC is for catch-up

The other stuff melatonin and bananas etc. don't work for some, you might as well throw that stuff at the wall

The other stuff melatonin and bananas etc. don't work for some, you might as well throw that stuff at the wall

Yea I'm aware the usual don't work for some, I can understand why you d go down the alcohol and the thc route, I'd probably do the same if everything else failed. Assume you ve tried things such as yoga and meditation etc?

• Advertisement

Yea I'm aware the usual don't work for some, I can understand why you d go down the alcohol and the thc route, I'd probably do the same if everything else failed. Assume you ve tried things such as yoga and meditation etc?

Already do mindfulness

Tried that Paul McKenna crap too going to bed

I definitively slept for a few hours because i had a dream i stumbled upon a pub production of Uncle Vanya and kept sitting on people by accident as it was so dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

went to bed ‘early’ at 0130 - nice and sleepy - woke up intermittantly by thirst/cold/heat/cat - finally woken completely at 5am by freezing feet to discover I hd worked myself somehow horizontal in the bed to be sleeping across the pillows with no duvet and my feet stuck up against the cold exterior wall. Lord bring me on the sleeping drugs...

Already do mindfulness

What do you do for this?
    Tried that Paul McKenna crap too going to bed

What have you tried, even though I suspect, it's quickly getting to a, what haven't you tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What’s the real true reason why you cannot sleep as of now?

Sadly it's not a straight forward answer for some. My reason is a curious and unexplainable side effect of a Thyroid Disease (Graves). Its not quite insomnia but the challenges similar. Without rhyme or reason and no matter how early or late I go to bed, my body clock wakes me between 3 & 4am every morning .

Thankfully on going to bed I eventually get to sleep but only helped by reading etc Oddly enough whilst fatigue is also a side effect, I rarely if ever have a feeling of Tiredness in the true sense of its meaning. So there you go, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it (I've no choice). :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

What do you do for this?

What have you tried, even though I suspect, it's quickly getting to a, what haven't you tried?
    Mindfulness , anything really

Paul McKenna, I can help u sleep

I think the brain is hardwired not to sleep much

went to bed ‘early’ at 0130 - nice and sleepy - woke up intermittantly by thirst/cold/heat/cat - finally woken completely at 5am by freezing feet to discover I hd worked myself somehow horizontal in the bed to be sleeping across the pillows with no duvet and my feet stuck up against the cold exterior wall. Lord bring me on the sleeping drugs...

Thank God, good night sleep, had two atrocious nights in a row previously, my fitness band didn't even register on the previous night, too short of a sleep, said I had a 2 hour 'nap, more or less comatosed last night

Paul McKenna, I can help u sleep

Never heard of that, I 'll check it out
    I think the brain is hardwired not to sleep much

Some brains have faulty wiring, regarding sleep, I think it takes a lot of experimentation, to find what works for you, but it can be a lifelong battle for some.

I've been experimenting with sound effects, I leave them run all night, on my phone, at very low levels, barely audible at times, light rain seems to be working for me, I'm also hearing good things about asmr to, still need to experiment with that

Never heard of that, I 'll check it out

Don't

Some brains have faulty wiring, regarding sleep, I think it takes a lot of experimentation, to find what works for you, but it can be a lifelong battle for some.

I've been experimenting with sound effects, I leave them run all night, on my phone, at very low levels, barely audible at times, light rain seems to be working for me, I'm also hearing good things about asmr to, still need to experiment with that

I might try low dose indica about 5mg, I see some using it rather than a big blast of it and pints
    You'd need a circuit break to cut tolerance though

• Advertisement

I might try low dose indica about 5mg, I see some using it rather than a big blast of it and pints You'd need a circuit break to cut tolerance though

I personally won't ever go down the alcohol route, I've had issues with it in the past, not just sleep related, stopped drinking few years ago. What do you mean by a circuit break?

Advertisement