Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can’t you sleep?

Options
  • 15-11-2020 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

What’s the real true reason why you cannot sleep as of now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

A three and a half year old and a 26 month old. Been up since 5.30. Currently watching the muppets movie, im ok with it tbh.

It's 1.45pm. I'd love a nap but I have a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Theopinionater

A three and a half year old and a 26 month old. Been up since 5.30. Currently watching the muppets movie, im ok with it tbh.

You’ve got your hands full anyway haha

It's 1.45pm. I'd love a nap but I have a headache.

What would that timezone be?? Instinct to try sleep it off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Puppy woke up to go to bathroom. Then doesn't want to go back to sleep.

I'll get a snooze this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Its time to get up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

daheff wrote: »

I'll get a snooze this afternoon.

What so you stay awake because a bloody puppy won't sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Yeah my son doesn't sleep

Eight month old and a two year old. Today was an unexpected lie in and the eight month old slept through the night for the first time so feel refreshed having only woken at 6.10am, having gone to bed at 10. It'll be Peppa Pig and looking for spiders in the garden for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm autistic, sleep issues are common with it, but I don't feel too bad now, had a reasonable night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Body clock gone beserk since lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

daheff wrote:

This and this! Love him...but my goodness I wish he'd give me an extra hour.

He's only young so we are getting up during the night to let him out for toilet breaks so I can't wait for that to stop! He's cute enough that in the morning he refuses to pee until he's had a play and his breakfast for fear we put him straight back into bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm up since 5:45 for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Had trouble with mosquitos last night, divebombing the bastards, i took down the net as I thought they'd be dead or less of them but no, two of them last night attacking me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

My normal waking time is about 5.30. I go to bed very early. Love sleep. Sometimes I get insomnia. Deadlines at work or hormone changes being main culprits. Chocolate too - dark chocolate makes me wakeful. Things I find work if a bit insomniacal are woollen socks in bed, oatstraw tea about 5pm, lavender oil on pillow, sex, a few minutes sitting meditation before sleep, eye mask in summer, avoid scary films, let go the world, dance for a while in the early evening. Magnesium supplements. Avena sativa tincture if this sh1t is not funny anymore! Sleep is extremely groovy and good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Ikozma wrote:

Well, yes. If you bring a baby animal into your home and want it to grow up into a happy, well adjusted family pet then you can't very well expect to do everything the same way as you did before. It's a massive responsibility.

Growing up someone would have always gotten up to feed our family dogs at around 8 and then gone back to bed for a couple of hours. Now, they were adult dogs so happy to go back to sleep in their comfy beds with full bellies - but a puppy who hasn't had interaction with his/her favourite people for maybe 10 hours? Not a hope!!

Having said all that...I've been close to putting him in the shed at least twice over the last 10 days haha. It is hard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Had trouble with mosquitos last night, divebombing the bastards, i took down the net as I thought they'd be dead or less of them but no, two of them last night attacking me.

they are the most annoying cnuting yokes ever, they just love my bloody, the bastards, where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Ikozma wrote: »

Yes. If I don't it'll wake everybody else & the neighbours.

She'll grow out of it...bit like babies

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Too tired.

jennyners wrote: »
    i take a lot of drugs so i only get 2 hours sleep

Curious as to pharmaceutical or the other kind? You’re not under caution haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

If you are having issues regularly getting a good night sleep do talk to your GP. I let it go for years getting only an hour maybe 2 hours a night and it ****ed up my life. Im only getting back into a normal rhythm now a year after seeking help.

On a lighter note I had the guts of a bottle of brandy last night and I was one groggy bastard all day as if I was up with a young kid all night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

beerguts wrote: »
    If you are having issues regularly getting a good night sleep do talk to your GP. I let it go for years getting only an hour maybe 2 hours a night and it ****ed up my life. Im only getting back into a normal rhythm now a year after seeking help.

On a lighter note I had the guts of a bottle of brandy last night and I was one groggy bastard all day as if I was up with a young kid all night :)

What kind of help did u get

Most of the regular stuff like turning off screens , blackout blinds , meditation etc makes no difference to serious case of insomnia

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

What kind of help did u get

Most of the regular stuff like turning off screens , blackout blinds , meditation etc makes no difference to serious case of insomnia

All bollocks articles rehashed as content filler by journalists. You will usually see it pop up biweekly on all the news websites slightly edited to make it loo like a new study from 'Researchers'

If it is from chopping and changing sleep patterns because of shift work you either have to get off the shift or if its an option look for work with a normal lifestyle
    Other than that it might be due to health issues if it is over a long period (3+ months) then the GP might refer you for a sleep study. This is what I got done and it finally told me what was wrong with me. Look in the Sleeping & Dreaming board for threads on sleep studies. You might happen on something that might give a few answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Get the plug in bottle and put it beside your bed, that'll keep them away, or buy the burning ring, it'll also be effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Can sleep fine during week. What i have trouble with is automatically waking up on Saturday and Sunday at my usual work time and then not being able to go back to sleep so im lying there fully alert but with my eyes closed and willing myself back to sleep.
    I envy people who can bypass their usual waking rhythms at weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Overthinking. Greatest hits of 1982 spring to mind.

Also waking up in between hours,too early to get up but to late to go back to sleep.

Also suffer with hearing problems

dubstarr wrote: »
    Overthinking. Greatest hits of 1982 spring to mind.

Also waking up in between hours,too early to get up but to late to go back to sleep.

Also suffer with hearing problems

Curious to what is it that you overthink? Is it a general thing day to day or specific thing(s) on replay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Overthinking and thought is a big issue imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Be right back

Irregular sleep pattern thanks to night duty!

• Advertisement

Sleep problems can be rooted in psychological issues. I'd advise anyone with long term insomnia to speak to a mental health professional as well as a GP.

Advertisement