Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can’t you sleep?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What’s the real true reason why you cannot sleep as of now?

Up drinking wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

Overactive mind :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Can sleep fine during week. What i have trouble with is automatically waking up on Saturday and Sunday at my usual work time and then not being able to go back to sleep so im lying there fully alert but with my eyes closed and willing myself back to sleep.
    I envy people who can bypass their usual waking rhythms at weekends!

It goes against all the professional advice, but at weekends, I wake early. 6-ish, go to the loo, then sit up on pillows finding something distracting on my phone. After 45-60 minutes, I can generally drop off again, and I really love that extra 60-90 minutes of refreshing sleep with no alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Curious to what is it that you overthink? Is it a general thing day to day or specific thing(s) on replay?

I basically over think ****e.

I have to pay x which will leave with y.Nothing bad like i cant pay my mortgage but its stupid ****.I cant explain.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I always sleep badly on the nights when I need sleep the most. Usually that'd be before an early morning for a race or a hike, or an appointment, or working in a new location. It's weird to get anxious and restless before events that are supposed to be fun (as opposed to ones that could reasonably considered somewhat stressful).

Video games and social media stop me from over-thinking about anything else, but don't exactly help with falling asleep either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Theopinionater

dubstarr wrote: »
    I basically over think ****e.

I have to pay x which will leave with y.Nothing bad like i cant pay my mortgage but its stupid ****.I cant explain.

It’s important enough that you do worry though but it makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Theopinionater

I always sleep badly on the nights when I need sleep the most. Usually that'd be before an early morning for a race or a hike, or an appointment, or working in a new location. It's weird to get anxious and restless before events that are supposed to be fun (as opposed to ones that could reasonably considered somewhat stressful).

Video games and social media stop me from over-thinking about anything else, but don't exactly help with falling asleep either.

Anxious and restless are like two best-friends I think haha, I agree with that, I just shift the focus elsewhere too but not where it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm on nights tomorrow and I can never sleep the night before, and for whatever reason my brain won't let me lie in in the morning or nap during the day. So then I'm completely knackered before I even start my nights.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

A three and a half year old and a 26 month old. Been up since 5.30. Currently watching the muppets movie, im ok with it tbh.

Why not just say a 2 year old. I don’t get it

Have you tried the headspace app? I find it brilliant. It helps to still the mind if you find it jumping from one thing to another. There's also loads of meditation clips on YouTube.
    Sleep is crucial for our wellbeing.

My own can be a bit all over the place at times but I know the reasons or will get to them eventually. There was a period back in August and early September where I wasn't great mentally and so my sleep was bad. Funnily enough I didn't link the two at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Sleep 5-6 hours a night from Sun- Thurs and 10 hours minimum Fri & Sat so it all evens out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm up since 5:45 for work.
    I had the same waking time last year. Weirdly it did make it harder to sleep.

When i got back to a 7.00 waking time ..it was much easier to sleep again. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Have you tried the headspace app? I find it brilliant. It helps to still the mind if you find it jumping from one thing to another. There's also loads of meditation clips on YouTube.

My own can be a bit all over the place at times but I know the reasons or will get to them eventually. There was a period back in August and early September where I wasn't great mentally and so my sleep was bad. Funnily enough I didn't link the two at the time.
    If I've had a few bad nights of sleep,I usually use ASMR on YouTube.That usually works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

I have in the past, must get it again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

That has caused havoc with my sleep many a time. But I find if I can change my thoughts into something else, I usually nod off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

A three and a half year old and a 26 month old. Been up since 5.30. Currently watching the muppets movie, im ok with it tbh.

our four year old shouts from morning until night but he sleeps soundly from 9 pm to 8 am and has done since he was four months old

i come from a renowned lineage of world champion sleepers , my other half is not bad at the sleeping either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I always sleep badly on the nights when I need sleep the most...

Awfully common.

I heard that this does not actually matter so much. When you are stressed and need to perform, it seems that the body draws upon the reservoir of the previous night's sleep moreso. Elite runners called this the Two-Night Rule.

There are other suggestions that it is a myth though. I think personal empirical judgement is king here. What works for you?

I can report it does indeed apply in my case (the two-night thing, not being elite sadly). I have my 10km P.B. off an anxious 2/3 hour sleep. The only explanation for how it did it is being well-rested that night before that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Because shes Fcuking snoring beside me again ,im a light sleeper ,AC/DC wouldnt wake her if they played in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Have a 16 month old and a 2 month old. 16 month old is a good sleeper but until night feeds stop for the younger one, I am grateful for the 4-5 hours sleep I get a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pain and no meds that work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Not knocking it but that's just a bedtime drink for people with normal sleep patterns

Takes about 8 pints and 100mg thc for me to get a good night's sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I just really like been awake, as soon as I wake up in the morning I get straight out of bed and get on with the day

The gale huffing and puffing out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Try a tablespoon of nutmeg in yogurt or icecream. You'll sleep like a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Piriton - an over-the-counter antihistamine helps me get off (to sleep, I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

blingrhino wrote: »
    Because shes Fcuking snoring beside me again ,im a light sleeper ,AC/DC wouldnt wake her if they played in the room.
    I can never sleep beside someone ..even if they don't snore. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Graces7 wrote: »
    The gale huffing and puffing out there...

If noises keep you (or anyone else on the thread) awake, one of the best things you can buy is a white noise machine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptive-Sound-Technologies-LectroFan-Non-Looping/dp/B074FL2HL2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Not sleeping - not enough exercise before bed, no long hot shower before bed, stayed in bed all day, stuffed face with random booze and bucketfull of calarofic snacks just before ‘retiring’, coughing up a lung in bed for hours because there is (still) two inches of un-vaccumed dust under & around it, shoulders cold, duvet too heavy, wind too windy, where is the cat l, boards etc

• Advertisement

.anon. wrote: »
    Piriton - an over-the-counter antihistamine helps me get off (to sleep, I mean).

That is the secret of life!

I have used it for decades..Your post reminds me to send for more.. ;) Thank you!

Advertisement