Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Wales, Friday 13th Nov 2020 7pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Neil3030 wrote: »
    We need to have a serious conversation about Murray at 10....

Indeed.

Very positive night overall, we coped well with two late changes and losing both tens. Blooded some new guys and saw some massive fights for selection. The likes of Chris Farrell was superb tonight and I'd be playing him with Bundee v England tbh. Keenan also, solid in defence if a bit naive in attack, but he has serious talent and is around for the long term.

A 7/10 game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Stander Doris and Leavy would be great for the 6n

Loose Head is an area of concern

POM was close to MOM tonight...

But in terms of an 80 minute team, Being able to bring on any of these lads at 50-60 minutes is a really powerful weapon in the arsenal

Our weakest positions in terms of depth now, are 10, 9 and 1 and 2 with tighthead prop being dependent on Furlong making a full recovery as there is a fairly big drop off from Porter to Bealham/Ryan/Marty Moore/Archer

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

I agree I'd have bundee and Farrell in midfield.
    O'Mahony to be fair played very well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just a small observation I may have made before. Whoever gives the half time chat to the players,

STOP..... YOU’RE NOT HELPING.

Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Has anyone ever managed to catch Quin Roux smiling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sanjuro wrote: »

Not even his Ma on Christmas morning.

griffinlee wrote: »
    I agree I'd have bundee and Farrell in midfield.
    O'Mahony to be fair played very well today.
    Geordan Murphy's out of contract now, stick him at 15, Stockdale on the wing, Aki and Farrell at 12/13 and Earls at 9 while Murray plays 10

The opposition would never expect it

Incredible Beverly hillbillies haircut on him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Akrasia wrote: »
    POM was close to MOM tonight...

So ??

Doris I think offers far more around the park and starts.
    Stander is first choice

#7 shirt Up for grabs. Leavy getting back to form over the next few months

VDF I think misses out altogether.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Once but they never lived to tell the tale

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    Geordan Murphy's out of contract now, stick him at 15, Stockdale on the wing, Aki and Farrell at 12/13 and Earls at 9 while Murray plays 10

The opposition would never expect it

Would someone please think of zebo. He hasn't been brought up in at least 3 days

So ??

Stander is first choice

Has Doris proven himself anywhere near POM's level at the set piece?

On a good day, POM can really disrupt the opposition lineout. That is something that wins games, it's one of the biggest impacts a back row forward can have on the game.

Doris is a very fine player and has earned his place in the squad, and maybe he starts ahead of POM on merit, but the real impact from these players comes from using all of them, either as 'finishers', or starters.

Stander is our best 8 by a mile, but maybe he doesn't start every game either. Bring him on from the bench at 50 minutes, that's a titanic replacement, a man with a full on 80 minute engine compressed into 30 minutes at the business end of the match...

griffinlee wrote: »
    Would someone please think of zebo. He hasn't been brought up in at least 3 days

Zebwho?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Another solid showing from Bealham off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Third game on the trot where you wonder what Wales are actually trying to do in attack. The only invention they show is from strike plays off line outs or scrums. But their set piece is so awful that they never give themselves a platform to attack.

There was nothing of note in that first half as Wales barely had the ball. But they upped intensity in the second half and won some collisions. But even then they didn't seem to know what to do after. Kept shipping the ball wide to the wings but that was well marshalled by Ireland's defence. And the one time they tried a drag back screen pass to draw in a defender, the pass went to ground. No platform from set piece, very little in the way of getting over the gainline by the forwards, and no real plan to use their backs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

So ??

Stander is first choice

So?? That means the people on here saying he is useless are wrong. He has proven time and again over his career he is top class.

Getting near the end now and probably won’t make the team but to take it personally that he played well is juvenile of you.

Admit it. Both Joe Schmidt and Andy Farrell aren’t less knowledgable than you and the experts on here calling him useless throwing up tackle stats and metres gained as the benchmark stats for backrow.

There’s so much more to the game and OMahony brings a competitive edge and competes for every scrap on the park. He brings niggle and gets under opponents skin at ruck and maul time. People slag him for it because they hate how good he is at it saying things like he makes hard man faces.

It’s all jealousy. Or snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

So ??

Stander is first choice

You're assuming a lot to think that Leavy is going to get back near test level let alone be the player he was.

So?? That means the people on here saying he is useless are wrong. He has proven time and again over his career he is top class.

Getting near the end now and probably won’t make the team but to take it personally that he played well is juvenile of you.

Admit it. Both Joe Schmidt and Andy Farrell aren’t less knowledgable than you and the experts on here calling him useless throwing up tackle stats and metres gained as the benchmark stats for backrow.

There’s so much more to the game and OMahony brings a competitive edge and competes for every scrap on the park. He brings niggle and gets under opponents skin at ruck and maul time. People slag him for it because they hate how good he is at it saying things like he makes hard man faces.

I never said he didn't play well.

I just think when picking our best backrow Doris is playing himself into the team alongside Stander and think the 7 shirt is up for grabs as I don't VDF is bringing enough.

Farrell has dropped POM BTW, for Doris

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So ??

Stander is first choice

You are assuming a lot about Leavy considering the injury he had, time out of game etc.
    Doris doesnt start. POM offers huge amount that im not sure Doris would replace
    Another solid showing from Bealham off the bench.
    Very much so.
    Clegg wrote: »
    Third game on the trot where you wonder what Wales are actually trying to do in attack. The only invention they show is from strike plays off line outs or scrums. But their set piece is so awful that they never give themselves a platform to attack.

There was nothing of note in that first half as Wales barely had the ball. But they upped intensity in the second half and won some collisions. But even then they didn't seem to know what to do after. Kept shipping the ball wide to the wings but that was well marshalled by Ireland's defence. And the one time they tried a drag back screen pass to draw in a defender, the pass went to ground. No platform from set piece, very little in the way of getting over the gainline by the forwards, and no real plan to use their backs.
    Gatland staying as long as he did covered a lot of cracks and wont help wales into long term.
    all far too predictable. Their poor regions form to show at international level...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

MOH wrote: »
    The RTE fake crowd noise was incredibly annoying. Especially when the entire commentary team kept going on about how quite it was, and eerie, and that you could hear the players calls. You couldn't because of the fake nonsense.

The worst bit was the sympathy applause for Sexton going off injured by the non-existent crowd.

More annoying, for me, was RTE commentators droning on while the ref was talking to players or TMO. It's far more interesting listening to the ref than it is to Donal Lenihan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

POM was by a county mile our best player tonight.
    The lineout was completely different with him today.

Doris got it for one block down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

KaneToad wrote: »
    More annoying, for me, was RTE commentators droning on while the ref was talking to players or TMO. It's far more interesting listening to the ref than it is to Donal Lenihan.

He's such a whinge. Always so dour.

PO'M is not useless. He was, at one stage, a nailed on starter in the green shirt. He's not anymore, others have eclipsed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

POM had a fine game. He got his hands on the ball, was a nuisance on the other side of possession and gave us an added dimension out of touch in attack and defence.

But Doris was clearly involved in far more than his highlight reel moment of the block and scoop off the deck. He carried excellently throughout. His link play was of a high quality including the carry and pass for Lowe's try. His defence was extremely solid. How many times do we see AWJ smashed in contact like that?

MOTM? I don't know. But he certainly looked completely at home against the incumbent Lions test 8.

POM was by a county mile our best player tonight.
    The lineout was completely different with him today.

Doris got it for one block down.

PO'M played well but I disagree with your opinion. Giving him MOTM wouldn't be an outrageous decision but it could have gone to one of a few players..

Buer wrote: »
    POM had a fine game. He got his hands on the ball, was a nuisance on the other side of possession and gave us an added dimension out of touch in attack and defence.

But Doris was clearly involved in far more than his highlight reel moment of the block and scoop off the deck. He carried excellently throughout. His link play was of a high quality including the carry and pass for Lowe's try. His defence was extremely solid. How many times do we see AWJ smashed in contact like that?

MOTM? I don't know. But he certainly looked completely at home against the incumbent Lions test 8.

I’m pretty sure billy isnt Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I’m pretty sure billy isnt Welsh.

Um... incumbent?

KaneToad wrote: »
    PO'M played well but I disagree with your opinion. Giving him MOTM wouldn't be an outrageous decision but it could have gone to one of a few players..

Like who?
    VDF wasn’t at the races. Doris had a good game. James Ryan made a litany of mistakes.

Quinn roux I could agree with.
    JGP had a fine game.

As I said Doris had a good game, but POM was a different level and quietened a lot of detractors tonight.

Two weeks ago we couldn’t win our own ball at the lineout, and tonight he is pinching theirs and making the throw away from him.

As I said Doris had a good game, but POM was a different level and quietened a lot of detractors tonight.

The same POM who was dropped by the current coach for the start of the 6n and the resumption too. He put in a very good performance doeant mean the "detractors" were wrong about his performance levels in the last 18-20 months

Doris was outstanding tonight. Our best player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Healy was getting knocked back. He is literally just scrummaging now.

Advertisement