Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Wales, Friday 13th Nov 2020 7pm

1111213141517»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I know what your saying but O'mahony shoving a few of their players and looking angry isnt going to get us anywhere,

Showing your aggression by smashing them back behind the gainline etc is how you do it,

And in my opinion a Backrow of Doris, Stander and Connors has a far better chance of achieving that,

Connors literally split Wales's talisman in half in his first tackle off the bench - I'd take that kind of aggression over looking angry and handbags after a scrum,

Now were you to argue about O'mahony being included to try and steal their lineout ball or compete at ruck time youd have far more of a point then this push and shove angry POM bollocks which does absolutely nothing.

If POM gets in its because of his lineout work or ruck work thats it

I’ve disagreed with you a lot in the past, kingtheoftheking, but I’d largely agree with this, tbh. Tho I’d probably add one further thing to your list of what is going in O’Mahony’s favour for selection, and that’s leadership. It’s probably as unquantifiable as “passion” but, especially if Sexton is missing, I think there’s a case for his inclusion.

The issue tho is that Doris and Stander are pretty much undroppable at the moment. Personally think we’ll see 6. CJ, 7 Connors, 8 Doris. But is there a case for POM at 7? Or even CJ at 7 and POM at 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I know what your saying but O'mahony shoving a few of their players and looking angry isnt going to get us anywhere,

Showing your aggression by smashing them back behind the gainline etc is how you do it,

And in my opinion a Backrow of Doris, Stander and Connors has a far better chance of achieving that,

Connors literally split Wales's talisman in half in his first tackle off the bench - I'd take that kind of aggression over looking angry and handbags after a scrum,

Now were you to argue about O'mahony being included to try and steal their lineout ball or compete at ruck time youd have far more of a point then this push and shove angry POM bollocks which does absolutely nothing.

If POM gets in its because of his lineout work or ruck work thats it

You should watch a bit more of what England do on the rugby pitch.

Go back as far as the Aviva when Itoje smashed earls late and nobody did anything about it.

If you take that from the English your in for a long day, and we have been taking it from the English for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Downlinz

aloooof wrote: »
    I’ve disagreed with you a lot in the past, kingtheoftheking, but I’d largely agree with this, tbh. Tho I’d probably add one further thing to your list of what is going in O’Mahony’s favour for selection, and that’s leadership. It’s probably as unquantifiable as “passion” but, especially if Sexton is missing, I think there’s a case for his inclusion.

The issue tho is that Doris and Stander are pretty much undroppable at the moment. Personally think we’ll see 6. CJ, 7 Connors, 8 Doris. But is there a case for POM at 7? Or even CJ at 7 and POM at 6?

Of course there is, we should accommodate our best players and those are clearly CJ, POM and Doris. The numbers on their back don't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

aloooof wrote: »

Yep I'd agree with leadership being another one, interesting to see what way Farrell decides to pick it,

Id personally be completely fine with either of these backrows lining out against England:

6.O'mahony
    7. Connors
    8.Doris

or

6. Stander
    7.Connors
    8. Doris

You should watch a bit more of what England do on the rugby pitch.

Go back as far as the Aviva when Itoje smashed earls late and nobody did anything about it.

If you take that from the English your in for a long day, and we have been taking it from the English for a while now.

Theres far more to why we lose to England then a late challenge from Itoje on Earls...

I'd say Itoje making our rucks and lineouts a nightmare and his speed off the line in defense are far more influential then the late hit on Earls that you seem to think has some influence on the game,

I agree that Ireland have to be super aggressive to win this weekend but you definition of aggression seems to be late hits, hand bags etc my definition of aggression is Gainline tackle/carrying dominance,

If you think Itoje hitting Earls late is the type of thing that has caused England to beat us the last number of times then you're delusional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

We could play considerably better than that and still lose to England. At a minimum, I’m looking for more of the same - crisp passing and set-piece competence.

Theres far more to why we lose to England then a late challenge from Itoje on Earls...

I'd say Itoje making our rucks and lineouts a nightmare and his speed off the line in defense are far more influential then the late hit on Earls that you seem to think has some influence on the game,

I agree that Ireland have to be super aggressive to win this weekend but you definition of aggression seems to be late hits, hand bags etc my definition of aggression is Gainline tackle/carrying dominance,

If you think Itoje hitting Earls late is the type of thing that has caused England to beat us the last number of times then you're delusional

I didn’t give any definition of aggression.

You made that up, incorrectly on my behalf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Downlinz wrote: »
    Of course there is, we should accommodate our best players and those are clearly CJ, POM and Doris. The numbers on their back don't matter.

The numbers don't matter but the personnel, and skillset they bring, does. For example, I'd expect Connors to get off the line quicker than either of POM or CJ, and with his chop tackling technique, that could be very useful with England having Billy Vunipola at 8.

I think it could be a close call either way (and I don't envy Farrell having to make it).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭phog

How bad are Wales, Welsh rugby, they're getting hammered most matches now, however, it was a win we needed but we have a fair hill to climb next week to try and beat England. Delighted to see Lowe score on his debut, he deserved a try but I think Wales were in the dressing room for the one he scored.

Awful to see Sexton go off with what looks a hamstring injury, hopefully, he'll be back for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Itoje is such a bollocks. But I would love to have him in my team. Must be such a nightmare to play against.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Awful to see Sexton go off with what looks a hamstring injury, hopefully, he'll be back for next week.

Just seen that Sexton is ruled out, I wonder will we see Murray feature at outhalf. On Friday night Farrell said he was a genuine option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Just ... no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

If Murray starts at 10 we might as well wind up the IRFU because we are absolutely ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    If Murray starts at 10 we might as well wind up the IRFU because we are absolutely ****ed.

A bit of an overreaction

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

KBurke85 wrote: »
    A bit of an overreaction

Hyperbole for sure, but surely no one thinks that Murray at 10 is a genuine option? Madigan, Byrne x2, Carty, Hanrahan, Frawley, and Lowry are all infinitely better options.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Hyperbole for sure, but surely no one thinks that Murray at 10 is a genuine option? Madigan, Byrne x2, Carty, Hanrahan, Frawley, and Lowry are all infinitely better options.

Andy Farrell, head coach with Ireland said he was a genuine option to play against England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I thought Burns and Murray were excellent at fly half. I said it at the time, and imo it's true, that they were two of the best performances by sub 10's in a green Jersey in a long long time. Murray played fly half for Garryowen and possibly at U20?
    Maybe against England it would be foolhardy to put him in but I'd definitely like to have another look. He attacked the line quite well on the few occasions that presented themselves. I don't see the harm in giving him another go.

Playing well at 10 against Wales is a world removed from playing well at 10 against England.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

phog wrote: »
    Andy Farrell, head coach with Ireland said he was a genuine option to play against England.

I mean Joe Schmidt also said Madigan was a genuine option at 9.

I wouldn't read too much into what a coach says in a press conference during an injury crisis.

It would take a really poor coach to give a big old slap to the face of every other 10 in the country that hes gonna parachute a 9 into 10 on a weeks notice,

Only a shockingly bad coach would give such a blow to the confidence of his other 10s,

Wont happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It won't happen. But we also won't be calling up any other players due to the Covid bubble. So Murray will likely be covering 10 unless Burns passes his RTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

molloyjh wrote: »
    It won't happen. But we also won't be calling up any other players due to the Covid bubble. So Murray will likely be covering 10 unless Burns passes his RTP.

Cooney was called up last time without an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bazzo wrote: »

When?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Bazzo wrote: »

And players were released back to their provinces over the weekend who will be rejoining the squad this week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It would take a really poor coach to give a big old slap to the face of every other 10 in the country that hes gonna parachute a 9 into 10 on a weeks notice,

Only a shockingly bad coach would give such a blow to the confidence of his other 10s,

Wont happen

Farrell channelling his internal Marc Lièvremont

• Registered Users Posts: 22,131 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

awec wrote: »
    What's your tipple of choice this evening Akrasia?

I'll have you know, I was as jober as a Sudge when I posted that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Itoje is such a bollocks. But I would love to have him in my team. Must be such a nightmare to play against.

One thing that struck me during the last Lions tour of NZ - every team would pick this guy if they had the chance. He has set a new standard in the NH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Ardillaun wrote: »
    One thing that struck me during the last Lions tour of NZ - every team would pick this guy if they had the chance. He has set a new standard in the NH.

If the offside line was managed by the ref and assistants then Itjoe would be f**ked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement