Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour want to bring back auto-birthright citizenship

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TomTomTim wrote: »
    That reminds me. Another group have popped up recently.

https://twitter.com/LeCheileDND/status/1325434551582257153

I'm sure they'll be getting state funding soon for their heroic endeavours.
    Well of course. Diversity not division indeed. Sadly the fact is and is shown wherever diversity is in play diversity is division and the more diverse leads to more division. If it weren't it would hardly need to be said. The more a nation becomes multicultural the less socially cohesive they become.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Great we need more NGOs. This is filling a gap that was not already handled by about 951 other groups.

Hopefully in the near future we can all be employed by NGOs

I'm wondering on what grounds could you potentially bring a legal case against the state for this stuff. They fund groups with a narrow belief system, who then use their funding and power to lobby the government, often successfully, for things that the state has no idea if there is wider support for. A good example would be the NGO group who thanked the state for passing some legislation about trans people "under the radar". Stuff like this goes against the very nature of democracy, so there must be a path.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Can someone explain the racism claim here to me?

I personally don't really care where the people come from and as Georgia and Albania seem to have the most asylum seekers claiming asylum here ( https://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/statistics ) surely it affects them most. I would expect most of them are Caucasian/white so it wouldn't be considered racist or am I missing something here.

I don't see anyone claiming it's ok for them and not the other non EU countries so surely it's the definition of treating all the same.

Not a major talking point on this but it's very much against advice to travel when heavily pregnant and anything that may encourage people to do so should be rejected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Leo supports it now but points out abuse from people in UK...nowhere else?

Leo supports bringing back birthright citizenship ? Though I'd say his days as an Irish politician are numbered. He might get a nice EU job but they won't entertain this BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

statesaver wrote: »
    Leo supports bringing back birthright citizenship ? Though I'd say his days as an Irish politician are numbered. He might get a nice EU job but they won't entertain this BS.

Good enough for him , he barely got in the last time . I hope the latest scandal is his final nail in the coffin . There's some shower of self serving gob****es and clowns running this country .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Good enough for him , he barely got in the last time . I hope the latest scandal is his final nail in the coffin . There's some shower of self serving gob****es and clowns running this country .

Plato was without doubt right when he said that the best rulers are the ones who do so reluctantly. Those who want power are the worst ones to wield it. Unfortunately for us all our politicians are driven by power alone for the most part.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Yurt! wrote: »

*The Chinese kid in Bray.

I'm always confused by this argument.

"It is unfair and immoral to forcibly uproot a child from his school, his friends, from the only country he has ever lived in, to send him to a country of which he has at best a basic grasp of the language and culture"

Under the above criteria, surely, under no circumstances should we accept foreign children being brought to Ireland by their own parents.

Contradiction no. 567 part IV section II in the Leftie Playbook I believe. There's just a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

So just bring in rake of africans etc,to prop up the whole system,except now the rents are paid by the state as "employers" drive down wages to this new wave of immigrants and exploit the fcuk outta them with sh1t terms and conditions.....while proclaiming this as progress

We already did that. It’s not working out so good. The vast majority of Africans now resident in the state are not in employment*. A splice that are, work in one of the many NGOs and quangos and lecture us and call us racist. Meanwhile, we pay the majority of them to live here.
    Second in the list of foreign groups availing of free accommodation, courtesy of the State, are who? Citizens of fellow EU states, such as the Poles, the Latvians, the Czechs or Slovaks? No, indeed not. The people who come second in the rent-allowance league table are the Nigerians -- barely less than the British, with 3,024 claimants. But whereas the British figure constitutes just 2.7pc of the total population of Britons living here, the figure for Nigerians is 18.6pc of their total Irish population of 16,300. Alas, just how many more Nigerian dependents are the beneficiaries of the rent allowances that are being granted to the 3,024 family-heads, I cannot say.

Now this reliance upon the state for the accommodation of so many Nigerians reflects another rather uncomfortable truth which was revealed in the 2006 census, but which has never -- so far as I know -- been highlighted in the media. It is this: contrary to almost all predictions about the impact of immigrants upon an economy, a majority of Nigerians are not economically active at all. For even at the height of the boom, in 2006, only 38pc over the age of 15 were at work.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/risible-lies-about-immigrants-no-substitute-for-honest-debate-26469455.html

Having a child here whilst in the asylum process gave them leave them remain and the child automatic Irish citizenship. The only EU member state that gave anyone born there citizenship. Circa 30k got leave to remain after we closed that loophole through the Irish Born Child scheme of 2005*. How many got it before?

We were known as a soft touch for a few years after, but word got out that our laws had changed and the number of asylum seekers coming here drastically dropped off(it was circa 10k per annum in 2005).

https://www.ucd.ie/geary/static/publications/workingpapers/gearywp201816.pdf

http://www.inis.gov.ie/Website/inis-en.nsf/0/52E1E2F19885A8DF802572E30032AB52/$File/IBC05Renewal.pdf?OpenElement

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000030

As we have seen recently with Brexit, huge numbers of Brits have scrambled to get an Irish passport via descent*. Implement a jus soli citizenship policy and watch huge numbers come here to give birth, get their child an EU passport and get to remain in the EU/Ireland where they will qualify for social welfare due to having an Irish born child.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/record-900-000-passport-applications-in-2019-94-000-from-uk-1.4124946

It’s why we have Balbriggans etc today. Anyone who wishes to repeat that lunacy is either involved with a NGO or quango, an open borders nut or extremely naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

TomTomTim wrote: »
    That reminds me. Another group have popped up recently.

https://twitter.com/LeCheileDND/status/1325434551582257153

I'm sure they'll be getting state funding soon for their heroic endeavours.

You would swear the KKK were riding through the streets of Dublin going by some of the dramatic tweets on that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

You would swear the KKK were riding through the streets of Dublin going by some of the dramatic tweets on that page.

The demand for racism doesn’t meet with the supply. How many quangos are there now involved in the immigration industry? Must be one of the largest growing sectors in Ireland.

5nnshnygyco51.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,920 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

seamus wrote: »

But a change back seems like it would be equally unnecessary. I'd love to know what the specific issues are that are trying to be fixed?

I know there's a specific blind spot in regards to citizenship for people who've been here a long time in direct provision or otherwise without an official visa. Children especially. But that seems to me to be easily solved with legislation rather than a modification to the consitution.

I havent seen specifics but I havent seem them suggest repealing the 27th at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭KaneToad

He was the second person elected in a four seat constituency. I wouldn't call that barely getting in.

I don't think he's self serving or a clown. But I wouldn't vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭enricoh

Great we need more NGOs. This is filling a gap that was not already handled by about 951 other groups.

Hopefully in the near future we can all be employed by NGOs

There's nearly 200k people employed in charities in Ireland! I would have thought it was 20k!
    Think I'll set up a support network for disadvantaged eskimos and see if I can get government funding!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/irish-charities-4145144-Jul2018/%3famp=1

Irish charities have an annual income of €14.5 billion and employ 189,000 people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

enricoh wrote: »
    There's nearly 200k people employed in charities in Ireland! I would have thought it was 20k!
    Think I'll set up a support network for disadvantaged eskimos and see if I can get government funding!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/irish-charities-4145144-Jul2018/%3famp=1

Irish charities have an annual income of €14.5 billion and employ 189,000 people

Jaysus, that's nearly 10 percent of the workforce and 2/3rds of the Civil Service. That is certifiably insane.

That said I am totally on board with your Eskimo Charity. In keeping in line with existing ratios might I suggest 16 employees per Eskimo?

Edit : just see hospitals and Universities are included in that figure

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Edit : just see hospitals and Universities are included in that figure
    Are the crazy number of NGO's a holdover of our Catholic Church past? When the state was founded there was feck all money or resources to throw about and the state offloaded a lot of their responsibilities to the Church and the Church was only happy to fill that gap(would that explain the health and education inclusion as both were heavily propped up by the Church). Both out of a sense of control from the top brass and for the foot soldiers a usually genuine sense of charity and service to God and Ireland. The Church may be mostly gone in that capacity(though still holds sway in education), but the mechanism remains.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Unfortunately the amendment includes the phrasing "unless provided for by law.". Not that the rule of law is bad, but it means that it won't take another referendum to change the law back to birthright citizenship.

Given that in recent years we have crept more and more in the direction of "government by NGO", it wouldn't surprise me if legislation to restore birthright citizenship is passed, backed solely by a report from the migrant council. The public won't get a say in the matter.
    This was my primary objection to that referendum. Citizenship should be defined in the constitution, not subject to the whim of a government. It's too important.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Jaysus, that's nearly 10 percent of the workforce and 2/3rds of the Civil Service. That is certifiably insane.

The Civil Service is 35,000, maybe 40,000.

The public service is 300,000 - 350,000.

Geuze wrote: »
    The Civil Service is 35,000, maybe 40,000.

The public service is 300,000 - 350,000.

Wouldnt mind I had Public typed and went back and changed.

Staggering numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Anchor baby? try airport baby....I work in the airport and one day, not that long ago, a Nigerian woman, on the verge of birth, got off the aircraft and the first thing she said was, when she got to the top of the airbridge and was looking around in some confusion, and was asked her business by one of our desk staff, "take me to the Com-bay". The wha? The Coombe. Lagos-London-Dublin and asks for the Coombe. They got her there with minutes to spare. It probably would have been easier to simply give her a passport in Lagos, if you believe some of the open-door merchants here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Anchor baby? try airport baby....I work in the airport and one day, not that long ago, a Nigerian woman, on the verge of birth, got off the aircraft and the first thing she said was, when she got to the top of the airbridge and was looking around in some confusion, and was asked her business by one of our desk staff, "take me to the Com-bay". The wha? The Coombe. Lagos-London-Dublin and asks for the Coombe. They got her there with minutes to spare. It probably would have been easier to simply give her a passport in Lagos, if you believe some of the open-door merchants here.

That’s how that Joseph bint got to stay here so clearly it’s continued despite the 04 referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Stovepipe wrote: »

Out of curiosity, what will happen in the case of this particular Nigerian woman?

Neither she, nor her new born has any right to remain in this jurisdiction. Presumably she will be returned to Lagos as soon as she has recovered from childbirth? Any other outcome is farcical.

Hamachi wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what will happen in the case of this particular Nigerian woman?

Neither she, nor her new born has any right to remain in this jurisdiction. Presumably she will be returned to Lagos as soon as she has recovered from childbirth? Any other outcome is farcical.

Surely it wouldn't happen now (if it even happened then) . Very few airlines would carry a heavily pregnant woman.

Surely it wouldn't happen now (if it even happened then) . Very few airlines would carry a heavily pregnant woman.

They lie - saying you’re 31 weeks pregnant when in reality you’re about to drop.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    They lie - saying you’re 31 weeks pregnant when in reality you’re about to drop.

Most need a letter now, we had it a few years ago. Anyways bit off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

enricoh wrote: »

Must be the biggest industry in Ireland.

The problem with charities is that the income gets to a point where it is not in their interests to actually solve the problems they profess to care about. Because then they'd be out of business.

We've had the church, we've had the banks....i'm pretty sure the next big reckoning is charities in this country.

We've had the church, we've had the banks....i'm pretty sure the next big reckoning is charities in this country.

Id hazard a guess,it will be direct provision centres and political connections among those running them

It would be a foolish political party,would take donations or be anyway associated with those running them....its pure wrong,whats going on.and will eventually blow up in peoples involved faces

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Let more people in. Close direct provision and have these people fight for resources with our own poor we cannot house or treat in our abysmal health service.

3500 people here in Tipperary on the council waiting list. 45 houses to be given to Syrian refugees despite assurances that accommodation would be sourced from the private sector by the Department of Justice when Ireland agreed to accept migrants. What happened to all the spare rooms offered by people in Dublin 4? Economic blackspots like Nenagh, Clonmel, Thurles and Tipperary Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

If someone has been here all their life ..its not right to deport them.

If someone has been here all their life ..its not right to deport them.

It absolutely is if they arrived here illegally or their parents did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,127 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Most need a letter now, we had it a few years ago. Anyways bit off topic

Genuine question then. What do they do to the obese girl with the big belly wearing loose clothes? I doubt the people checking or boarding them whip out the rubber glove for a summary examination.

If a pregnant woman gets on the plane and, if questioned, just insists she is fat, what would or could they do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement