Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour want to bring back auto-birthright citizenship

Options
  • 10-11-2020 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/labour/status/1325858794920939520

I'm not quite old enough to remember fully but I do recall reading about so-called "boat babies" in the late 90's being a serious issue for the asylum system in this country. Not only people arriving pregnant but apparently some literally giving birth on ferries in Irish waters.

Also just looking at the replies and seen this...

EmZs1bxXUAIGozV?format=jpg&name=medium

The law was changed by referendum in 2004 (in fact looks like the big decline arrivals started actually in 2003).

I think Irish people might have questions about going back to such a regime.

Anyhow Labour want to do just that.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, I don't know but i'd have concerns because I think we are lax enough to be perfectly honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The referendum passed by almost 80% margin, I would imagine today, it would be similar.

This is not a vote getter for Labour, it just simply isn't. It may play well with some progressives in Dublin but for the working class.... nope!!
    Then again, Labour don't represent the working class and haven't for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

I didn't agree with the referendum in 2004. I wasn't old enough to vote against it at the time. Populist politics at it's worst. I remember the result being celebrated by the KKK.

I don't think they will garner enough support for repeal, but the mood may change in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Countries with jus soli

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

biko wrote: »
    Countries with jus soli

image.jpg

Interesting.

Since we are forever comparing ourselves to the Utopia that is Scandanavia, perhaps we should stay the course on this one? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats what their priority is? Jaysis, read the room lads.

Apart from the 80% majority at the time, floating it for reconsideration ahead of the mammoth task of refloating the economy, wherein immigration is an issue at the best of times, is simply naive and tone deaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If labour want to make themselves more unelectable then this policy is perfect for them.

There are other issues though. Ireland had to get the British - Irish agreement amended to make this change (rather uncontroversial as the Brits wanted to see this back door to the UK closed too). I doubt they'd have any time to see it reopened. In the context of Brexit and borders, it's a total non runner.

But as I said, if labour want to engage in a bit of electoral hari kari, who am I to stop them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Anyone who wants to make us the only state in the EU with jus soli citizenship is seriously soft in the head.

Edit: And as aside, the case where this latest round of activism around citizenship laws is based off was one where the mother commited passport fraud*, hence the deportation order (the father is curiously off the radar in this hard-case). She earned her marching orders.

*The Chinese kid in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Simi wrote: »
    I didn't agree with the referendum in 2004. I wasn't old enough to vote against it at the time. Populist politics at it's worst. I remember the result being celebrated by the KKK.

I don't think they will garner enough support for repeal, but the mood may change in the future.

I don't know how it can be viewed as populist. No other country in the EU offers birthright citizenship. Babies born here acquire the citizenship of one or both their parents so it's not exactly as if they are being born stateless.

There aren't many cases to be found where it could be argued that birthright citizenship should be allowed given how extensive it is possible to gain citizenship; as the info on Wikipedia points out:

"the law was amended to require that at least one of the parents be an Irish citizen; a British citizen; a resident with a permanent right to reside in Ireland or in Northern Ireland; or a legal resident residing three of the last four years in the country (excluding students and asylum seekers) (see Irish nationality law).[49] The amendment was prompted by the case of Man Chen, a Chinese woman living in mainland United Kingdom who travelled to Belfast (Northern Ireland, part of the UK) to give birth in order to benefit from the previous rule whereby anyone born on any part of the island of Ireland was automatically granted Irish citizenship. The Chinese parents used their daughter's Irish (and thereby European Union) citizenship to obtain permanent residence in the UK as parents of a dependent EU citizen. Ireland was the last country in Europe to abolish unrestricted jus soli."

This seems like a ploy by Labour to try to make themselves feel progressive and relevant. I'm sure SF will jump on the bandwagon also. But it will be difficult to overturn as the obvious question will be - why should we be different than the rest of Europe. What is Labour looking for? To get Ryanair to sell a birth package along with hotel rooms and car hire on their website?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Populist? Is it only populist if the result doesn't agree with your viewpoint? It was passed by the largest majority of Irish people in any recent referendum. Even in leafy south Dublin which is traditionally more progressive it was the resounding choice to remove it. Never mind that Ireland was alone in having this law and loophole and it was a loophole very much exploited. A large percentage of those who got Irish citizenship this way came from nations that today would have a near 100% rejection rate by the immigration authorities. Did they magically have better reasons back then? Oh and just in case the "race" bit gets people looking for pearls to clutch that list also includes White Europeans in origin.

Plus that vote was held at the height of the celtic tiger where confidence was very high, employment was full and people had cash to flash, which tends to make voters more easy going and sure isn't the bit of exotic nice after all and we were in the very early stages of multiculturalism, yet 80% still voted to remove that loophole.
    If anything it will harden as evidenced by every other European nation that is dealing with the failed politic of multiculturalism. Though I suspect it will be pushed by the usual vested governmental and NGO interests, but I further suspect they won't risk putting it to a vote of the Irish people because they know it'll be rejected. There was bugger all support for it then, there will be even less now. Would you hope for the "mood to change" with repealing the 8th, divorce? They passed with much lower majorities.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

How can Labour be considered a party with 6 seats?

They could all be in one house and still not violate Covid 19 rules!

How was your party at the weekend...ah yeah it was great, 5 of the lads came over to my gaff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

markodaly wrote: »
    The referendum passed by almost 80% margin, I would imagine today, it would be similar.

This is not a vote getter for Labour, it just simply isn't. It may play well with some progressives in Dublin but for the working class.... nope!!
    Then again, Labour don't represent the working class and haven't for ages.

It's about three things

Keeping an eye on the social democrats who often out WOKE them and an attempt to steal Green party votes

Ensuring that RTE - Irish Times know they are solid on the progressive agenda

Virtue signalling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yeah, I would not vote for this. It should be based off where your parent are from, not where you are born.

Yeah, I would not vote for this. It should be based off where your parent are from, not where you are born.

Follow that logic.

I'm born in Ireland to an English mother, so I am English but....

My mother was born in England to a Jamaican mother so is Jamaican

Were only at my grandmother and I'm already an Irish Jamaican!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Unfortunately the amendment includes the phrasing "unless provided for by law.". Not that the rule of law is bad, but it means that it won't take another referendum to change the law back to birthright citizenship.

Given that in recent years we have crept more and more in the direction of "government by NGO", it wouldn't surprise me if legislation to restore birthright citizenship is passed, backed solely by a report from the migrant council. The public won't get a say in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Just fix the asylum process so that people don't end up living hear for a decade while their claim is rejected or approved.

Do that and this problem goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Won’t happen, we’d be slapped down by Europe for opening the back door, and when we see the issues there are with the new Europeans being shipped in by the boatload, do we really want to bring this down on our heads?????

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So they want to bring back the Lagos express , with buses and ambulances taking women in labor straight off a plane to the coombe hospital .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Just when you think they can't get any more unelectable - the Labour party delivers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Labour take another step towards eroding their voter base.

What group do they think they are appealing to with this ? Votes will simply not materialise on any election day with these types of policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Lads, think of all the lost opportunities we missed out on by removing the right to citizenship (which was only added to the constitution in the late 90's)

Imagine if we had never put it in? We would never have had the good fortune to be able to house, feed and "educate" such luminaries as the great Dr. E J herself who would be able to tell us that we needed to feel guilty that there are statues outside a hotel

How many other EJ's did we miss out on by bringing in this terrible rule? We could have had thousands and thousands more had we remained the outlier in Europe and just spread the word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Such hypocrisy with this. Populist in Ireland wag their finger at other countries for not accepting migrants. Particularly when it comes to USA Mexico border. We don't have such issues, but what we do is make sure that any child born here doesn't have automatic citizenship and can be deported back to a country that is not their birth place.

The rule almost always impacts African, Asian, S.America and Middle East.
    We as a nation voted this in by 80%, then we should shut our mouth when other countries maintain/protect their citizenship and borders.

you seriously think the KKK would be aware of a referendum result in this country :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the amendment includes the phrasing "unless provided for by law.". Not that the rule of law is bad, but it means that it won't take another referendum to change the law back to birthright citizenship.

Given that in recent years we have crept more and more in the direction of "government by NGO", it wouldn't surprise me if legislation to restore birthright citizenship is passed, backed solely by a report from the migrant council. The public won't get a say in the matter.

what might happen is a " citizens assembly " is organised to study it and whatever they conclude is spun as being reflective of the general population :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Nabber wrote: »
    Such hypocrisy with this. Populist in Ireland wag their finger at other countries for not accepting migrants. Particularly when it comes to USA Mexico border. We don't have such issues, but what we do is make sure that any child born here doesn't have automatic citizenship and can be deported back to a country that is not their birth place.

We as a nation voted this in by 80%, then we should shut our mouth when other countries maintain/protect their citizenship and borders.

It was only added to the constitution in the late 90's and was an entirely unintended consequence of the Good Friday agreement. The purpose of the referendum was only to remove it as a constitutional right. That allows it to be controlled by legislation. Children of people who are in the country legally generally obtain citizenship.

It is not about "accepting migrants" as you say, because if the migrant is "accepted" then their child will get citizenship! It is a completely different point.

Other countries which have Jus soli generally do not have the associated benefits extending to the family the same as in Ireland/Europe. If you moved to the US for a year or two to work and had a child then that child is a US citizen. If your work and visa finishes then you have to leave the country. The child is always a citizen. It generally confers no real rights to you - despite the usage of the "anchor baby" term. When the child is 18 it could go back to the US and petition for you to join it. But there is no such thing as landing off a boat to the US, straight to hospital, have a baby and leave the hospital and be put into accommodation and welfare supports. There are wealthy Chinese women who do take advantage of the US system but it is just so their baby has the citizenship. They fly in, go to an expensive hospital, then return to China afterwards. What we had were wealthy (relative to their peers), generally African, woman who saw a loophole and were able to exploit it and then get on the pigs back for a relatively handy life in Europe.

You also need to remember that Irish citizenship is European citizenship. We cannot be the only outlier and leaving a back door open. It was crazy at the time. Maternity hospitals were literally being packed with woman who had only entered the country to give birth. Plenty were coming off the boat from the UK etc. just as they were about to pop!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

The Uk government and the EU won't want this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nabber wrote: »

Actually quite the few Ukrainian and Russian and Georgian gained citizenship this way. And I would agree, other countries should indeed protect their borders and citizenship.

One singular difference between the US and Mexico that you seem to miss is the USA was a European colony based on and requiring inward migration to even exist and function. Bring your "huddled masses" and all that. Now that they have enough people for the most part they're dialling right back on their need for huddled masses and their ethnic schisms aren't exactly going too well, or going away.

Ireland has a very different culture and background and history. We were a colony of sorts for a time and that didn't go down to well for the locals and often the colonists. However we're not a new world colony in need of immigration and never were.

Never mind that this much vaunted multiculturalist politic(much of it coming from the US where they've been forced to deal with it) is increasingly looking like a busted flush in the European nations where it took hold. Not least for many in the non native population generations in. But yeah, this time, Ireland of all places will get it right... Oh wait... in just two decades we're already seeing the negatives of multiculturalism beginning.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    what might happen is a " citizens assembly " is organised to study it and whatever they conclude is spun as being reflective of the general population :rolleyes:
    You can be sure that whatever happens no way in hell will the risk be taken of putting it to a democratic vote. The answer would almost certainly not be the "acceptable" one, even if it were the will of the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can just imagine the Labour think tanks sitting in and asking why they don't appeal to working class men anymore.

I know, we can ignore the referendum on anchor babies and reintroduce citizenship through birth. That will get tradespeople, factory workers, delivery drivers back on out side. Motion passed.

They are a parody of the UK Labour Party who absolutely dumped on their voter base and got murdered by it.

Unfortunately if this did go to referendum again, they will have the full arm of the media, NGO Industry and Big tech fighting for the cause. No political party would oppose it. I still don't think they'd win but it would be worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    you seriously think the KKK would be aware of a referendum result in this country :rolleyes:

I wish these types would all move to America. They seriously can't help themselves, they constantly have to try and transpose Americanisms on the Irish.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

talk about a way to lose votes. Birthright citizenship is a nightmare for any country with a welfare state. Encourages anchor children. Keep it illegal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement