Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour want to bring back auto-birthright citizenship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Gervais08 wrote: »
    It absolutely is if they arrived here illegally or their parents did.
    All of our ancestors arrived here illegally. Come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Yeah the Normans were a right laugh. Heard their cuisine really took off around Portobello and Rathmines. Cromwell too - the New Model Army take on the vindaloo really took the country by storm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

You’re clutching at massive straws now, it’s pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Our ancestors built this national. Theirs didn’t.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

Please think about the terms you use as posters can very easily take offence around here

Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this post in thread

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Which laws were arrivals ca. 5,000 BC breaking?

Pray do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Which laws were arrivals ca. 5,000 BC breaking?

Pray do tell.

Said poster claimed to be Jewish in the past, so I think he/she is just a wind up merchant.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

breezy1985 wrote: »
    25% of children born in Ireland were non nationals? That sounds very high where are you getting the figure from

https://www.thejournal.ie/poverty-children-ireland-immigrant-non-irish-1599272-Aug2014/
    One in four children in Ireland are born to a non-Irish mother
    A new study by Trinity College Dublin has also found that migrant parents face a greater risk of poverty.
    Aug 1st 2014

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

In fairness, some of those "non-nationals" could be from other EU/EEA states.

Whilst we should be humane and look after the welfare of the child and mother when born, if there are no issues health-wise and they are there illegally, a one way ticket back out should be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

If someone has been here all their life ..its not right to deport them.

I can see where you coming from, however parents should consider such things when having children.

I have a few friends in Oz who waited until after becoming citizens before having children.
    I had a relative who was illegal in the USA and used to complain about not being able to visit family in Ireland and that they had no security. They made the choice to outstay a visa and had to live with consequences of that decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Those two stats don't mean the same thing, though there will obviously be signigicant overlap.

I have two kids, both born to a non-Irish mother, who fit in one group but not the other.

There is also the 'born outside the state' statistic, and one of my kids fits in that group also.

But both are Irish citizens since birth.

There is some conflation of these terms which muddies the waters a little - but only a little I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Maybe - but in that case we need a framework to deport the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

It would be handy if they could consider the difference between state and island in these things.

osarusan wrote: »
    Those two stats don't mean the same thing, though there will obviously be signigicant overlap.

I have two kids, both born to a non-Irish mother, who fit in one group but not the other.

There is also the 'born outside the state' statistic, and one of my kids fits in that group also.

But both are Irish citizens since birth.

There is some conflation of these terms which muddies the waters a little - but only a little I'd guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah, but how do you break down those numbers? I know and have known a fair few non Irish women who had kids with Irish fathers here, all but two(New Zealander/Russian) are from the EU and are all White Europeans in background, so not too many issues with integration as far as standing out goes anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Labour trying to create the perfect conditions for a future Irish Donald Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If Irish parents decide to emigrate, should they be forced to remain if any of their u-18 offspring don’t want to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If Irish parents decide to emigrate, should they be forced to remain if any of their u-18 offspring don’t want to go?

what a terrible analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Labour are wasting their time.

The majority don't believe everyone born here is Irish just as they don't believe a man can become a woman or a woman become a man. No matter how many fools tell us otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Genuine question then. What do they do to the obese girl with the big belly wearing loose clothes? I doubt the people checking or boarding them whip out the rubber glove for a summary examination.

If a pregnant woman gets on the plane and, if questioned, just insists she is fat, what would or could they do?

Sideroom, a cup and a stick

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Rodin wrote: »
    Sideroom, a cup and a stick

Well there was an outrage thread on here about some woman transiting through the Middle East being subjected to an examination.

So I reckon that if a heavily pregnant woman gets on a plane and just insists that she is fat and not pregnant, she's not going to be stopped for not having a letter from her doctor saying she is less than 30 weeks or whatever.

The rule about having a letter is great in theory for the law abiding honest people...but it won't stop the person who you might actually want to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Yanks seem to be able to manage to keep out the knocked up visitors who want to drop their cargo on US soil.

They have to prove before going there how far along they are and if it is too near the birth date they don't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's a bit concerning to know that the referendum result could be overturned in the Dail, I don't remember this being mentioned during the debate at the time.

Loopholes like that should have been shored up at the time before we voted so the referendum result could never be challenged.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rodin wrote: »
    Labour are wasting their time.

The last polling on this issue had 71% in support of reinstatement. It is from two years ago.

Boards, and this forum in particular, are not vaguely representative of Irish voters.
    It's a bit concerning to know that the referendum result could be overturned in the Dail, I don't remember this being mentioned during the debate at the time.

Loopholes like that should have been shored up at the time before we voted so the referendum result could never be challenged.

The return of power to provide for further options to the Oireachtas was obvious from the text. Its not a loophole, its exactly what was intended.

I say return, as prior to the Belfast Agreement referendum in 1999, the entire power for defining citizenship rested with the Oireachtas. It was the clauses added to work around the dropping of the territorial claim on Northern Ireland that added this. We had birthright citizenship via legislation rather than constitution for decades prior.

The Oireachtas using its power to define other options is not challenging the result of a referendum explicitly intended to give it the right to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Dear Labour Party,

Go f*ck yerselves.

Rgds,

Me.

L1011 wrote: »
    The last polling on this issue had 71% in support of reinstatement. It is from two years ago.

That poll was conducted right off the back of the hard-case and surrounding the kid in Bray. The publicity around it was a major gaslighting excercise. The mother was served a deportation order because she committed passport fraud, and the people asking for the minister to quash the order got upset when that was revealed. Cry me a river. She should have been on a plane back to Fujian (I'll bet my bottom dollar she's from that province as well). She sealed her kid's fate by committing a serious act of fraud.

We don't make legislation off undercooked Sunday Times polls. Nor should we.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yurt! wrote: »
    We don't make legislation off undercooked Sunday Times polls. Nor should we.

I'd be fairly certain there'll be future (imminent, probably) polling on this issue; as multiple parties are proposing or supporting it now.

I'd be very surprised if there is less than 50% support for reinstatement even now at a distance to any hard case examples.

This forum and its equivalent predecessors (it replaced the less strictly serious Politics sub-forums, primarily - the AH cleanup element is only part of it) have generally held significantly harder line opinions on social issues than the general populace as anyone around here long enough to remember them will know. There was virulent opposition (in the non-AH forums) to Civil Partnership even, and people sure in 2014 that the SSM referendum would be rejected by a huge margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

what a terrible analogy.

Why? Ireland will be all the child knows. That’s what we’re told when we try to deport criminals.

I'd be fairly certain there'll be future (imminent, probably) polling on this issue; as multiple parties are proposing or supporting it now.

I'd be very surprised if there is less than 50% support for reinstatement even now at a distance to any hard case examples.

I'd be unmoved if 80+% of people polled favoured reinstatement of jus soli. Even if it were reinstated by the Oireachtas, it wouldn't be long again before it's back on the table after a complete sh*t show of everyone wanting EU residency flooding here. It's seriously a pandora's box we don't want to open.

I'll repeat, for various reasons I'm opposed to jus soli for Ireland, but above all, it will make our immigration system a complete joke and the preferred point of entry for chancers worldwide.

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'd be unmoved if 80+% of people polled favoured reinstatement of jus soli. Even if it were reinstated by the Oireachtas, it wouldn't be long again before it's back on the table after a complete sh*t show of everyone wanting EU residency flooding here. It's seriously a pandora's box we don't want to open.

I'll repeat, for various reasons I'm opposed to jus soli for Ireland, but above all, it will make our immigration system a complete joke and the preferred point of entry for chancers worldwide.

So why bother attempting to discredit the polling if it has no impact on your opinion?

I don't feel that either the current system - allowing people who consider themselves entirely British to dig up a passport via a granny to escape from a disaster of their own voting - or direct jus soli are the answer here.

But there is almost certainly public support for changing from the current system despite an exceptionally one-sided thread on here.

• Advertisement

So why bother attempting to discredit the polling if it has no impact on your opinion?

I don't feel that either the current system - allowing people who consider themselves entirely British to dig up a passport via a granny to escape from a disaster of their own voting - or direct jus soli are the answer here.

But there is almost certainly public support for changing from the current system despite an exceptionally one-sided thread on here.

Because precisely around then there was a noisy bleeding heart campaign around the case for a passport fraudster.

If the poll question had been posed 'do you think that non-nationals found to have committed passport fraud should be deported?' what do you think the reported response would be then?

Privately, and people often don't answer honestly in polls for psycholgical reasons (see shy-Tory effect), I guarantee that a majority of Irish are opposed to jus soli. In the quiet privacy of a polling booth in 2004, people made their true opinions known.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement