Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biofarm 2020

Options
  • 09-11-2020 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭

I think it might be better to have a thread for bio farm if a good few of us are watching it. Just got an email saying the stream will be back shortly.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭alps

Milked just once today so I could sit through this afternoon...

It's been a marvelous weekend so far...Trump beat....Kerry beat...things couldn't be better..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭endainoz

Back on now, Alan Savory should be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

endainoz wrote: »
    Back on now, Alan Savory should be fantastic.

It makes up missing the Christmas sermon this year.

It makes up missing the Christmas sermon this year.

:pac::pac::pac:

He has that kind of a voice alright

:pac::pac::pac:

He has that kind of a voice alright

When you get to his age and with that name. You can give any type of talk you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

When you get to his age and with that name. You can give any type of talk you like.

Hard going, not sure what I was expecting... but... ;)

I think it's pretty inspiring stuff all the same.

Hmmm....

Be interesting to do a buy in rating of this?

Hard going, not sure what I was expecting... but... ;)

I'd say the organisers were expecting a talk on climate change and ruminants.
    But sure..
    He's our Biofarms Sir David Attenborough.

*Darragh McCullough lost weight.

I'd say the organisers were expecting a talk on climate change and ruminants.
    But sure..
    He's our Biofarms Sir David Attenborough.

*Darragh McCullough lost weight.

It's was funny earlier before the stream got cut off and Darragh got shut down pretty quickly when asking about the return from slurry innoculants.

• Advertisement

Oh be Jesus.

Good man Colman.

That was very interesting now, well delivered...

I may educate them on biochar.

More technical difficulties, pity about the hiccups, it's been very interesting so far.

I may educate them on biochar.

Ha, I was just thinking about your posts! Ear to the ground had covered the lads doing it in west Clare but Darragh must have forgotten about it.

It's on the same theme.

There's a good YouTube channel just started up called ' In search of Soil.'

The first interview was with Dr Elaine Ingham.
    Next was with Dr David Johnson of the composting fame.
    Next was Kelpie Wilson of biochar fame.

https://youtu.be/xZv31JYKPUw

Everyone else "on hold" with some weird song playing?

I though Greg Judy was going for some kinda Conor McGregor style over-the-top entrance first with the song playing... :):D

Everyone else "on hold" with some weird song playing?

I though Greg Judy was going for some kinda Conor McGregor style over-the-top entrance first with the song playing... :):D

It's looking like it ain't going to happen.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's been like that for a while now. The Neil young song about monsanto has some interesting lyrics alright, but I think I've heard it enough.

Just tuning in now, more technical issues I take it.

Pity they didn't get into the "pugging" but I have an idea that the root mass coupled with long grass on top, and move them often is the answer.

Oh, and no elephant cows.

Thought Greg Judy calling Darragh sir was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Enjoyed today, Say My Name's Molasses and Biochar referenced.
    I did a bastardised version of the mob grazing this year. Rotation of about 40+ days but grazed it down but not clean. Think Greg Judy's model suited his climate, retaining as much moisture as possible. Now half my grazing land would be long term organic, 23 years. Very interesting to see all the various plants in what is my permanent pasture and Meadow in Glas. I moved stock about every 4/5 days. When stock went onto new ground it wasn't the grass they ate first, it was Sorrel heads.
    The other half of the ground has a ryegrass silage mix. Took some silage off it when it got ahead of the cattle. Thinking of reseeding in some way as the ground has very low root mass and can poach in rain. Just starting to learn.
    Like the two lads will be organic ion Jan 1st 2021.

Lack of rain definitely plays in a big way into the residuals left. More than once it was referenced that if you grazed tight, you would pay the penalty in moisture defecit. He was also doing an extra winter grazing than we would do....a similar 35 to 40 day light Autumn grazingsfollowed by a winter one going much tighter.

And I'm not sure that Savory's reference to rotational grazing is an accurate description of ours..

He promoted rational grazing, but from what I can see, this is a more accurate description of what we do...only difference being the residuals..

Rational grazing is based on the four universal grazing laws developed in the 1950's by André Voisin (1903-1964):

First Law: The Law of Rest
    In order for grass to achieve its maximum productivity, grass must be given time to recover between grazing intervals.

This rest period is essential to give the grass time to build sufficient root reserves capable of sustaining a vigorous spurt of growth
    And this rest interval must give grass enough time to produce a "blaze of fast growth" before it is re-grazed.
    Second Law: The Law of Occupation
    The time spent inside any individual grazing slice should be so short that the animals do not regraze the same grass a second time before they move to the next paddock.

Third Law: The Law of Maximum Yields
    We must help the cattle with the highest nutritional requirements to harvest the most quantity of the best quality grass possible.

Fourth Law: The Law of Regular Yields
    If a cow is expected to produce milk and/or consistent weight gains, she should not spend more than 3 days grazing the same paddock. Milk production and weight gains will be maximized if cattle spend no more than one day in each paddock.

Today should be interesting, I have Richard Perkins' Book 'making small farms work". It's a great reference guide type of a book. Hopefully the technical issues will be sorted this time.

Today should be interesting, I have Richard Perkins' Book 'making small farms work". It's a great reference guide type of a book. Hopefully the technical issues will be sorted this time.

Have it on the shelf here beside me. Anyone not wanting to part with €50 for biofarm would want to be sitting down if they look to buy this book :D

Oops, it's "Regenerative Agriculture" I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EvanFahy

Would you recommend it from what you've seen so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes the conf is excellent.

Advertisement