Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembrance Sunday and no Poppy thread?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭joemurt

Wow :rolleyes:
    Go on and besmirch their memory all you like, but as I have already said .....

"You're obviously looking at this whole episode through the eyes of a 1916 Rebel".

They besmirched their own memory by joining up for a conflict against their European equivalents (poor, ignorant, jobless) on behalf of a supremacist ideology (''royalty). WW1 was nothing but a family feud between cousins. If there had have been any justice after the war the Saxo Gotha Coburg regime (George V as you put it) should have ended. But here we are, now named Windsor, soon to be house of nonce.

Germany was never an enemy of Ireland throughout history. Trying to justify why Irish people joined by mentioning 'food on the table' is an indictment of British rule in Ireland. Kill or starve.

And maybe (s)he is looking at the episode from 1920 when the black and tans arrived to rape, murder and pillage on the 'kings' behalf rather than 1916? You talk about grey areas in life - How would you view the poppy, celebrating those soldiers, if instead of you ancestors going off to the killing fields for folly, remained in Ireland to life a normal non violent life only to one day have their door kicked in by some gang of men who raped their wife or daughter, shot dead their brother or son and burnt down their house just because they could? No other reason. Terrorizing for the sake of terror. Would you have a different prospective on the poppy?

Its a strange phenomenon in Ireland. The victims of tax funded British terrorism always having to apologize for defending themselves. (Never hear Britain calling Americans terrorists for doing the exact same thing.) Martin wears a poppy as a sign of ''bridge building'' (not cowardice.....) but you'll never see a British politician acknowledge/celebrate Ireland's independence nor wear a lily as a sign of respect or bridge building. Funny that.

Stockholm syndrome alive and kicking in the old civil war parties. Embarrassing in the 21st century. It will be a good day in Ireland when the country is finally led by someone who doesn't get down on their hands and knees trying to impress the neighbours next door.

Removing British terrorists is nothing to be ashamed of.

Bravo sir.

Fabulous piece of literature. Go straight to the top of the patriots class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

joemurt wrote: »
    They besmirched their own memory by joining up for a conflict against their European equivalents (poor, ignorant, jobless) on behalf of a supremacist ideology (''royalty). WW1 was nothing but a family feud between cousins. If there had have been any justice after the war the Saxo Gotha Coburg regime (George V as you put it) should have ended. But here we are, now named Windsor, soon to be house of nonce.

Germany was never an enemy of Ireland throughout history. Trying to justify why Irish people joined by mentioning 'food on the table' is an indictment of British rule in Ireland. Kill or starve.

And maybe (s)he is looking at the episode from 1920 when the black and tans arrived to rape, murder and pillage on the 'kings' behalf rather than 1916? You talk about grey areas in life - How would you view the poppy, celebrating those soldiers, if instead of you ancestors going off to the killing fields for folly, remained in Ireland to life a normal non violent life only to one day have their door kicked in by some gang of men who raped their wife or daughter, shot dead their brother or son and burnt down their house just because they could? No other reason. Terrorizing for the sake of terror. Would you have a different prospective on the poppy?

Its a strange phenomenon in Ireland. The victims of tax funded British terrorism always having to apologize for defending themselves. (Never hear Britain calling Americans terrorists for doing the exact same thing.) Martin wears a poppy as a sign of ''bridge building'' (not cowardice.....) but you'll never see a British politician acknowledge/celebrate Ireland's independence nor wear a lily as a sign of respect or bridge building. Funny that.

Stockholm syndrome alive and kicking in the old civil war parties. Embarrassing in the 21st century. It will be a good day in Ireland when the country is finally led by someone who doesn't get down on their hands and knees trying to impress the neighbours next door.

Removing British terrorists is nothing to be ashamed of.

Excellent post.

31 years after the British tried to starve away the "Irish problem", by exporting tons of food, we have quislings going to war for the same people who murdered by starvation 1 million of their fellow countrymen and women. Shame on them, ans shame on those memorializing them.

Excellent post.

31 years after the British tried to starve away the "Irish problem", by exporting tons of food, we have quislings going to war for the same people who murdered by starvation 1 million of their fellow countrymen and women. Shame on them, ans shame on those memorializing them.

it was excellent.

Probably better suited to the fantasy forum than this one, but excellent all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Aegir wrote: »
    it was excellent.

Probably better suited to the fantasy forum than this one, but excellent all the same.

There seems to be a strong element of trying to out 'republican' or perhaps 'armchair republican' everyone else in some posts here. Even to the point of implying that famous Irish patriots weren't republican enough!

• Advertisement

it was excellent.

Pretty weak tbf on your behalf. Would you see the poppy any different if your family members were terrorized or murdered by a British soldier? Would you wear one?

saabsaab wrote: »
    There seems to be a strong element of trying to out 'republican' or perhaps 'armchair republican' everyone else in some posts here. Even to the point of implying that famous Irish patriots weren't republican enough!

There seems to be a lot of armchair apologists for British state terrorism.

Do you celebrate British soldiers who raped and murdered Irish people because they were Irish?

There seems to be a lot of armchair apologists for British state terrorism.

Do you celebrate British soldiers who raped and murdered Irish people because they were Irish?

Of course not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's a sad state of affairs.

If the Brits had tried to starve the country to death in 1989, you'd have Quislings, like the ones in here, thinking it would then be honorable to fight for them now, just 31 years later. How pathetic is that.

Pretty weak tbf on your behalf. Would you see the poppy any different if your family members were terrorized or murdered by a British soldier? Would you wear one?

Weak?

not one piece of your post is factually correct.

• Advertisement

I don't wear a poppy, never did and have questions about where the money goes. But live and let live, if someone wants to commemorate a family member in that way. Same with the Easter lily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭Odhinn

This must be the absolute definition of arm chair republicanism.

See the entire world as black and white. My side good, anything else bad.

I'll see that and raise you

533193.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

I don't wear a poppy, never did and have questions about where the money goes. But live and let live, if someone wants to commemorate a family member in that way. Same with the Easter lily.

And someone that was on the receiving end of the british army's terrorist actions on this island has every right to object to it

They have that right but each to his own.

Odhinn wrote: »
    I'll see that and raise you

How people see Republicans

310?cb=20180908193511

And someone that was on the receiving end of the british army's terrorist actions on this island has every right to object to it

Don't wear one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

It's a bit indulgent in a republic that was founded in spite of the British Army, and not with any thanks to it, to be flaunting a Poppy.

It's actually bad manners.

It's a bit indulgent in a republic that was founded in spite of the British Army, and not with any thanks to it, to be flaunting a Poppy.

I doubt anyone flaunts it here. Would you feel that flying the union jack is bad manners here too?

I doubt anyone flaunts it here. Would you feel that flying the union jack is bad manners here too?

For what it stands for,yes imo

Its worse than the confederate flag imo

(that being said,no issue with emgland,scotland and wales flags flying,just not the butcher apron)

Difference between flying and flaunting.

It would be bad manners not to fly it if that is the official protocol for a state visit, a sporting occasion or whatever. I'm not into needless antagonism, and especially with neighbours I would like to remain on good terms.

I'm not suggesting that people wear a poppy just to annoy the majority, but I'm sure they're aware that it does so.

The apparently necessary connection between remembrance and letting everyone know that you're 'remembrancing' is lost on me.

• Advertisement

Yes it does depend on the context and circumstances. Probably bad manners to fly your union jack down the falls road or the tricolour on the shankill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭Odhinn

How people see Republicans

310?cb=20180908193511

Pic not showing I'm afraid

Who is flaunting a poppy?

Not me, guv.

Didnt kevin myers used boast he wore his to be provocative.....he seems to represent a large amount of peoples views on this and many other subjects

Advertisement