Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembrance Sunday and no Poppy thread?

Options
  • 08-11-2020 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you COVID-19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

We forgot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I think it has been much more dignified this year, how it should be every year, sadly won't be of course. The right wing press will be back on poppy watch next year.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The nationalists have been cunningly distracted by two old men fighting over a Zimmer frame

The absence of poppy shaming is rather dignified. Eclipsed by real issues like Covid-19. And Remembrance Sunday itself is no less important, watching a moving commemoration service unfold on BBC1. Beautiful tribute to those who served the cause of peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

We were doing so well OP *shakes fist*

Although I agree the lack of focus on it is good. Even British TV people are wearing the little metal ones. Folks who want to commemorate it can continue to do so in quiet reflection, as is appropriate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

The absence of poppy shaming is rather dignified. Eclipsed by real issues like Covid-19. And Remembrance Sunday itself is no less important, watching a moving commemoration service unfold on BBC1. Beautiful tribute to those who served the cause of peace.
    This is part of the same group that murdered innocent civilians on bloody sunday as well as many others over the years. Cause of peace, mehole, murdering scum and they can stick the poppy where the sun doesn't shine. No self respecting irish person should wear one to support them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

yet people will say it's all mcleans fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

EmOCUdFXMAA_6EZ?format=jpg&name=medium

EmJC7aPWMAEQlXi?format=jpg&name=medium

EmH9cZKWoAAwxkh?format=jpg&name=medium

Just a few from this year

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

RasTa wrote: »
    EmOCUdFXMAA_6EZ?format=jpg&name=medium

EmJC7aPWMAEQlXi?format=jpg&name=medium

EmH9cZKWoAAwxkh?format=jpg&name=medium

Just a few from this year

These are more than a bit weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't know why Irish people get so worked up about this British custom, it has nothing to do with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't know why Irish people get so worked up about this British custom, it has nothing to do with us.

Maybe the Brits should do the same when they tear strips off James McClean every year because he isn't wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    This is part of the same group that murdered innocent civilians on bloody sunday as well as many others over the years. Cause of peace, mehole, murdering scum and they can stick the poppy where the sun doesn't shine. No self respecting irish person should wear one to support them

Yawn zzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Maybe the Brits should do the same when they tear strips off James McClean every year because he isn't wearing one.
    It wont matter in a few years when he is struggling to get his game with Stanraer reserves

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Except for the remembering British troops shooting unarmed people on Irish soil bit..

But other than that, I agree with you.

Not something to get too excited about but not something to dismiss either...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Edgware wrote: »
    It wont matter in a few years when he is struggling to get his game with Stanraer reserves

But we aren't talking about his soccer skills, its the fact that he gets abuse every year from Brits because he won't wear something he associates with the murder of innocent unarmed Irish people by the British Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lots of Irishmen signed up to fight on the promise of Home Rule for Ireland. The events of the easter rising of 1916 then superseded this. Not everything was as black and white as it is in hindsight. We had family who were on both sides - residual bitterness in the family to this day. Ireland used have huge rallies supporting the poppy - bbc pathe have footage of it. Likewise Islandbridge War Memorial Gardens used be thronged with families remembering loved
    ones - another forgotten memory now and place rarely mentioned or visited.

The scrolls of homour of the names of those who signed up to fight for an Irish Freedom from British Rule were immortalised by one of Irelands leading and most sought after artists of the day. comissioned, and paid for in full.

It’s no surprise we descended into a bitter civil war after - and the cachet of Home Rule is Rome Rule was irrelevant as time told - Own Rule became Rome Rule too. No doubt tens of thousands are spinning in their faraway lonely graves. As are the GPO ‘patriots’ - if they saw what a mess this nation has become.

maybe he should just wear one or work in a different country. Thankfully he's so sh*te now we wont have to hear much about him for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We’re not worked up about it. Vast majority of people pay no heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

maybe he should just wear one or work in a different country. Thankfully he's so sh*te now we wont have to hear much about him for much longer.
    so no one should work in britain if they won't wear a poppy, should only people be allowed work in ireland if they wear the easter lilly

• Advertisement

votecounts wrote: »
    so no one should work in britain if they won't wear a poppy, should only people be allowed work in ireland if they wear the easter lilly

I just can't stand James McClean and get sick of his moaning, while on the other hand he's posting balaclava IRA videos on Twitter.
    I lived in the UK and I don't think I bothered wearing them, lots of people don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

I just can't stand James McClean and get sick of his moaning, while on the other hand he's posting balaclava IRA videos on Twitter.
    I lived in the UK and I don't think I bothered wearing them, lots of people don't.

You seem to be getting a little bit worked up yourself there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The nationalists have been cunningly distracted by two old men fighting over a Zimmer frame

It's British Nationalists that have been, and continue to be, the problem in Ireland.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thank you COVID-19

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Remembrance Sunday and no Poppy thread ?

There was one way back about six weeks too early, it then fizzled out after the usual mud slinging and insults :cool:

Wearing my poppy today and for the next few days, as s mark of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

UDAWINNER wrote: »

Surely someone call UDA winner should be right behind the poppy? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There was an MP trying to virtue signal about it by wearing one early. I forget his name but it perfectly exemplified the perverse nature of it here in the UK. I'd be a unionist, or at least former unionist and frankly want nothing to do with this odious nonsense. A ceremony to remember the fallen is only right and proper. Obscenely ostentatious virtue signalling on Twitter is not.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Nothing to do with us besides the 35,000 Irish men who gave their lives during the Great War.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

.... between 35,000 and 50,000 Irish died in WWI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

As a nation we were officially neutral during the war.

The families of Irish people who for whatever reason decided to go off and fight in the war have every right to commemorate their loved ones, as can those without family members and who just want to remember/honour those who died.

Just don't expect the rest of us to feel the need to.

Advertisement