Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembrance Sunday and no Poppy thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭3DataModem

McMurphy wrote: »
    As a nation we were officially neutral during the war.

Not during the 1st World War. We were part of the UK until 1922.

RasTa wrote: »

Just a few from this year

I thought we were bad on Patrick’s Day. They bring tacky to new levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

McMurphy wrote: »
    As a nation we were officially neutral during the war.

The families of Irish people who for whatever reason decided to go off and fight in the war have every right to commemorate their loved ones, as can those without family members and who just want to remember/honour those who died.

Just don't expect the rest of us to feel the need to.

Very liberal of you but I'm not sure I remember any case in Ireland where those who marked Remembrance insisted that others must do.

People do berate others for wearing the poppy as being British when they simply want to remember the dead at war.

Perhaps this spirit of liberalism could work both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

What has poppy day got to do with the Irish? I don't see the English complaining if someone is wearing some shamrock around St Patrick Day?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What has poppy day got to do with the Irish? I don't see the English complaining if someone is wearing some shamrock around St Patrick Day?

A lot of Irish died in both wars.

We celebrated Remembrance Sunday in my church growing up. There was a portion of the service devoted to remembering the fallen and placing a poppy wreath on the memorial for local men who died. We could buy poppies on the day with the proceeds going to charity. I can't remember whether or not it was the RBL.

It's a sharp contrast to the modern British abomination we get in this day and age where their sacrifice is nothing more than a tool to guilt people, deflect and score cheap political points.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

apples and oranges imo, a lot of people refuse to wear a poppy after the atrocities such as bloody sunday. You only have to at Mclean and the abuse he gets for refusing to wear it which is sick. If you are foreign and work in media or sports in Britain, say goodbye to your job or be prepared to be public enemy number 1 if you do not wear one. And you're supposed to have the freedom to wear what you like, don't think so:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Very liberal of you but I'm not sure I remember any case in Ireland where those who marked Remembrance insisted that others must do.

People do berate others for wearing the poppy as being British when they simply want to remember the dead at war.

Perhaps this spirit of liberalism could work both ways.

I never said they did, perhaps I should have quoted to aid the flow of discussion, but I was following on from the berating of James McClean.
    Maybe the Brits should do the same when they tear strips off James McClean every year because he isn't wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Even British TV people are wearing the little metal ones.

Arlene made up for those, she was wearing one you could see from space.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

EmOCUdFXMAA_6EZ?format=jpg&name=medium

Top class remembrancing and very respectful.

votecounts wrote: »
    apples and oranges imo, a lot of people refuse to wear a poppy after the atrocities such as bloody sunday. You only have to at Mclean and the abuse he gets for refusing to wear it which is sick. If you are foreign and work in media or sports in Britain, say goodbye to your job or be prepared to be public enemy number 1 if you do not wear one. And you're supposed to have the freedom to wear what you like, don't think so:(

Have you ever gone to the US? they are flag nuts but I don't see the same response to it. Plenty of people get killed over it as well.

If you are living/working in the US then you abide by the traditions of that country. I would expect the same if living in the UK.

Plus I still don't see what it has to do with Ireland? what difference does it make to anyone living in Ireland what someone has to wear on British TV?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I would expect the same if living in the UK.

No thanks. I have a right to make whatever choice I want about what I wear.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

No thanks. I have a right to make whatever choice I want about what I wear.

So you move to a country and then don't want to abide by the local traditions?

What about the local tradition of individual liberty?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

namloc1980 wrote: »

It's a mock grave in a garden.
    It's weird, it's like something kids do for Halloween.

What about the local tradition of individual liberty?

If you don't want to adhere to them well then don't move to that country. Plenty of other around the World. Seems a bit silly to me to move to a country and then complain about the traditions in that country?

I am still struggling to see why people who are living in Ireland give a s**t about a poppy or what people in the UK wear on UK TV?

If you don't want to adhere to them well then don't move to that country. Plenty of other around the World. Seems a bit silly to me to move to a country and then complain about the traditions in that country?

I am still struggling to see why people who are living in Ireland give a s**t about a poppy or what people in the UK wear on UK TV?

I can live wherever I want without your approval. The UK isn't a dictatorship so I'll exercise my right not to wear a poppy while respecting others' right to do so.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

They wear a poppy, I wear an Easter lily, live and let live

This is stupid.
    It's not a local tradition.
    You do know not all British people walk around with a poppy on them for November!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Wearing a poppy is not a local tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's a mock grave in a garden.
    It's weird, it's like something kids do for Halloween.

I assumed namloc was being sarcastic. were they not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Wearing a poppy is not a local tradition.

It's a dwindling tradition in the ROI, I'll give you that, and there's not many of us wearing poppies anymore, specially since the 1970s & 80s, but it's a tradition that has been with us since the 1920s.

Somebody else mentioned that it is a CofI tradition, and by and large (but not exclusively) that's true, but the poppy is a non denominational symbol.
    The tradition in the Republic of marking the Armistice on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th Month will continue . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

The poppy was chosen for rememberance because of a Canadian man, John McCrae, who wrote In Flanders Field.

The wearing of a poppy in remembrance was adapted by the american legions and later the French. It is not originally a British tradition which people seem to get their knickers in a twist over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭saabsaab

EmOCUdFXMAA_6EZ?format=jpg&name=medium

EmJC7aPWMAEQlXi?format=jpg&name=medium

EmH9cZKWoAAwxkh?format=jpg&name=medium

What part of Dublin can these be seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

:D that cannot be Dublin...

It's a dwindling tradition in the ROI, I'll give you that, and there's not many of us wearing poppies anymore, specially since the 1970s & 80s, but it's a tradition that has been with us since the 1920s.

Somebody else mentioned that it is a CofI tradition, and by and large (but not exclusively) that's true, but the poppy is a non denominational symbol.
    The tradition in the Republic of marking the Armistice on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th Month will continue . . . .

I mean in the UK, Some people wear them some choose not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Is armistice day a thing in Ireland still? Was it ever? Only people I've ever seen wear them in Ireland have been English folk living here or some unionists up north. Doesn't bother me who wears one, but I wouldn't like to be dictated to and asked why I'm not wearing one.
    I happened to be in London on armistice day or around it in 2014, when the moat around the tower of London I think was covered in poppies. Plenty of folk around London at the time were not wearing one.
    If I were to appear on tv there and asked to wear one. Would I? Probably not, but I wouldn't wear an Easter lily either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

.... between 35,000 and 50,000 Irish died in WWI.

Wasted lives for a decrepit regime no better than the ones they lost their lives to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Wasted lives for a decrepit regime no better than the ones they lost their lives to.

Patrick Pearse thought it was wonderful that that the Earths soil was being revigorated once again with human blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Its the fact its used to fundraise for soldiers who served in NI causes issues for people

Anyone i see wearing one,i just assume supports soldier F nowadays

Also those who served in Aden, Kenya, Uganda, Iraq, Burma, etc and so on.

• Advertisement

Its the fact its used to fundraise for soldiers who served in NI causes issues for people

Anyone i see wearing one,i just assume supports soldier F nowadays

Your assumption would be wrong.

Advertisement