Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anne Hathaway apologies for depiction of limb difference

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Hollywood should apologize for butchering the films of my childhood no more remakes
    No creativity in Hollywood anymore. It is remakes or non stop superhero stuff.

Miss Hathaway will never be half as good as Anjelica Houston so why even try?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its 2020

People who have differently shaped bodies shouldn't be portrayed as monsters anymore.

It makes their lives harder.

It makes children afraid of people who are different in real life. And we know it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The people that don't like the movie for whatever reason can just not go.
    It's a free country I'm told.

No creativity in Hollywood anymore. It is remakes or non stop superhero stuff.

Miss Hathaway will never be half as good as Anjelica Houston so why even try?

You gotta start somewhere. And I've enjoyed many of Hathaway's roles. She's a better actor than many others out there (Chris Pratt, for example). There's always going to be a growth curve for actors.

The problem is not the acting. The problem is expecting them to be something more than simply actors, and as such, there is a crossover, with the expectation that their real life issues/agendas, get brought into their acting roles. It doesn't help that the directors, producers, casting, etc have increasingly become more and more political (or social ie. PC)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Nermal

Prejudice against the deformed or ugly is older than time and universal.

Think of all the stories you have read or seen where the villain has a scar or defect. Even the stories where the stereotype is subverted only serve to prove it's depth.

Perhaps we should make beauty one of the protected classes under the equality act, and make sure that the short and ugly have as much chance to be models as those blessed with long limbs and symmetry. Patently ludicrous, but the logical outcome of the movement.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    The people that don't like the movie for whatever reason can just not go.
    It's a free country I'm told.
    Its not about the movie ....

Its a crappy remake.

Its about the fact that hollywood fairy tales ..teaches people PARTICULARLY children to hate fear and be repulsed by people who have different bodies or disfigurements.

Nazis killed many such people. You have many false limbs in Auschwitz.

I mean Ann Hathaway ...should not say sorry ..she should give the fee away to a charity ..and she should not have taken the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Nermal

People who have differently shaped bodies shouldn't be portrayed as monsters anymore.

Perhaps you could tell us who we are allowed to portray as monsters?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

>Nazis

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Its 2020

It makes children afraid of people who are different in real life. And we know it does.

May I ask, how would you design the witches?

Nermal wrote: »
    Prejudice against the deformed or ugly is older than time and universal.

Think of all the stories you have read or seen where the villain has a scar or defect. Even the stories where the stereotype is subverted only serve to prove it's depth.

Perhaps we should make beauty one of the protected classes under the equality act, and make sure that the short and ugly have as much chance to be models as those blessed with long limbs and symmetry. Patently ludicrous, but the logical outcome of the movement.
    Its not logical at all.

We are NOT talking about making people models.

We are talking about stopping hollywood from teaching young children that disfigurement means you are more likely to be a bad person ....and you should be feared.

• Advertisement

Its 2020

Does it? I don't think it does. If anything this focus places greater pressure on kids, because making demands on other people to accept them, simply encourages bitterness/resistance, and reinforces the differences that exist..

The focus should be on being independent of what others think. Resilient, and self-confident, but the emphasis here is that people should be concerned about what others think. This push to make us all dependent on social approval is dangerous.

Life is hard. Anyone with any kind of disability knows that.. but generally we should be accepting that it is hard and accommodating our lives to deal with it. Not expecting people everywhere to suddenly accept us.. because they won't.

May I ask, how would you design the witches?
    Well firstly ...the witches wouldn't be the bad guys ..

Maria von trap in a nun's costume would. :p

I would make the witches as they are ...but like the addams family.

Where to be weird and different ...is good.

And the witches would mix with the hoy poloi of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No creativity in Hollywood anymore.
    This is true. Studios remake good old movies instead of using brain power to think up new concepts.

Remember that studios pump a lot of money into their films so if one fails then they could potentially become bankrupt.

They see wokeness being a new concept and they remake old movies in hope to cash in.

Does it? I don't think it does. If anything this focus places greater pressure on kids, because making demands on other people to accept them, simply encourages bitterness/resistance, and reinforces the differences that exist..

The focus should be on being independent of what others think. Resilient, and self-confident, but the emphasis here is that people should be concerned about what others think. This push to make us all dependent on social approval is dangerous.

Life is hard. Anyone with any kind of disability knows that.. but generally we should be accepting that it is hard and accommodating our lives to deal with it. Not expecting people everywhere to suddenly accept us.. because they won't.

Well then if you are so resilient ..stop moaning and getting triggered by an actress apologizing.

IF you are so resilient you will survive the change. And it won't bother you.

Stop asking for my approval.

We are not teaching kids who are diff to seek approval. We are telling them to put others in their box. Namely people who make hollywood films.

I mean Ann Hathaway ...should not say sorry ..she should give the fee away to a charity ..and she should not have taken the job.

Nah. Hiding the negatives in society does nothing to remove them.

Anyway, it was a movie about witches. Make believe. Fantasy. People need to stop being so damn serious about everything, because they're ruining the joy of leaving this world behind, and entering another one.

This kind of attitude is destroying fantasy as a genre because people are becoming so afraid to express alternative realities. Why? Because every reality must reflect the BS of this reality. Context is dying.

Nah. Hiding the negatives in society does nothing to remove them.

Anyway, it was a movie about witches. Make believe. Fantasy. People need to stop being so damn serious about everything, because they're ruining the joy of leaving this world behind, and entering another one.

This kind of attitude is destroying fantasy as a genre because people are becoming so afraid to express alternative realities. Why? Because every reality must reflect the BS of this reality. Context is dying.
    Witches are real actually.

Fantasy has been dead for a while. Because there is nothing new. And its been really dumped down. People are not using it to express wisdom and guide children anymore.

Hiding discrimination of course is never good. Hiding the ugliness of what normal people feel inside .....is what is needed.

Good creators are serious people.

Fantasy IS dying I agree ....no one has anything intelligent to say. And kids are not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Is this how Dahl wrote the characters?

Well then if you are so resilient ..stop moaning and getting triggered by an actress apologizing.

Where have I shown myself to be triggered?

You're projecting. It's a common tactic with you, and it's rather insulting. I Really wish you would stop with this nonsense of applying crap to people that they haven't done, or said.
    IF you are so resilient you will survive the change. And it won't bother you.

I've had a strong shaking disorder since puberty. Yeah.. I've learned to be resilient in the face of social ignorance, and violence.
    Stop asking for my approval.

haha... you crack me up. really you do. It boggles the mind that you could write this kind of stuff... Where am I seeking your approval? Go on.. quote me.

Utter nonsense. As usual.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Is this how Dahl wrote the characters?
    Dahl wrote it as .....a beautiful woman takes off her mask there is something awful underneath. The witches meeting ....the cover is a children's charity...or govt agency.

It was more about child abuse .....and the mask it wears.

I've had a strong shaking disorder since puberty. Yeah.. I've learned to be resilient in the face of social ignorance, and violence.

And you think others should have to go through what you did?

• Advertisement

Dahl wrote it as .....a beautiful woman takes off her mask there is something awful underneath. The witches meeting ....the cover is a children's charity...or govt agency.

I didn't ask that, i asked if these limb differences were something Dahl wrote.

I didn't ask that, i asked if these limb differences were something Dahl wrote.

If you want to take books literally yes. But obviously that is not very intelligent.

And obv a film that can't point out the metaphor isn't very intelligent either.

Hurrache wrote: »
    She also needs to apologise to people with big noses and facial scars. Imagine having a large nose and everyone assuming you're a witch.
    They did that major theme of anti semitism.

I DO think its funny though that humans have been so manipulated by govts and culture for so long.

There used to be church hymns in medieval times saying it was RIGHT to tax the disabled because they were not godly. Actual hymns sung in church.

And yet people are happy to be manipulated.

Its just to make us feel we don't have to care for people....financially i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think at the moment it's easier to apologise than explain. The whole thing goes away quickly. Warner Bros apologised too. Optics of arguing with people with disabilities would look bad no matter how nonsense the complaint is.

I think this is it, studios are paralysed by the need for making money and actors must be seen to be on the right side of something for fear their career will be damaged.

It's a shame as you can see already that the art is suffering across media, with actors of questionable quality being cast taking precedence over the best available one being cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AnniePowwa

outrageously sexy woman

And you think others should have to go through what you did?

They will or they won't.. because what you're encouraging isn't going to change people's minds/behaviors. Those who are different will receive attention. It's just the way humanity is. How we react to that attention will shape our lives for a long time thereafter. It's less about other people, and more about ourselves. The person with the disability. That should be the focus... but it's not.

This is more about the people who can show their virtue by chasing a crusade.

AnniePowwa wrote: »
    outrageously sexy woman
    Hathaway ..or the witch?:p

They will or they won't.. because what you're encouraging isn't going to change people's minds/behaviors. Those who are different will receive attention. It's just the way humanity is. How we react to that attention will shape our lives for a long time thereafter. It's less about other people, and more about ourselves. The person with the disability. That should be the focus... but it's not.

This is more about the people who can show their virtue by chasing a crusade.
    You can manipulate human behavior very well.

Think of how it affected LGBT people in such a short time.

If we say ...lets just let it be ....it will just be.

You didn't deserve to go through what you did. And saying that ...doesn't make you weak. It makes you stronger in my eyes.

I would have stood up for you ! Not that you couldn't for yourself. But i would support you.

I agree THIS instance ...this apology ..is about virtue sig...i mean if she cared ..just don't do the film etc.

If you want to take books literally yes. But obviously that is not very intelligent.

And obv a film that can't point out the metaphor isn't very intelligent either.

Ah jaysus! In the child's book written by Dahl did this character have elongated fingers?

Maybe you haven't read it, so dont know. That's fine. But maybe let someone who does know answer the question.

My favourite Dahl book was called The Magic Finger and in it a girl rendered a family of thuggish bullies limbless so they had to live in a bird's nest and be fed worms. I managed to not take from that that people who lose limbs are being punished for being kuhnts, young as I was. I did enjoy the revenge and comeuppance in the story, though.

• Advertisement

Ah jaysus! In the child's book written by Dahl did this character have elongated fingers?

Maybe you haven't read it, so dont know. That's fine. But maybe let someone who does know answer the question.

My favourite Dahl book was called The Magic Finger and in it a girl rendered a family of thuggish bullies limbless so they had to live in a bird's nest and be fed worms. I managed to not take from that that people who lose limbs are being punished for being kuhnts, young as I was. I did enjoy the revenge and comeuppance in the story, though.
    I have read it.:)

No she wasn't depicted like that.

She had claws .three fingers or talons..but covered them ...and wore a mask ...but not two ( i havent seen the movie but i think its like two?)

Right now i am reading only books in spanish to improve ..i re read danny the champion of the world and charlie and the choc factory..and i mean the workers in the factory ...well its pretty racist.

Advertisement