Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anne Hathaway apologies for depiction of limb difference

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

You cannot possibly make an argument that if a villain displays some physical characteristics that may match the physical characteristics of particular groups of people, be that skin color, disability etc - then the the movie is trying to suggest that all people of said group are villainous.

If you in any way shape or form believe that, you are a brainwashed idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭tscul32

The point that's missing is that she doesn't have "missing" fingers cos she's not human. She has 3 fingers cos that's what witches have and she's a witch. That's like saying a dog has 2 "extra" legs. You can't expect different species to look the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I don't know ... I really hate political correctness for the sake of political correctness.

However .... I don't have any limb deformities. If the community of people who do have such deformities say that they take offence at this portrayal, shouldn't we accept and respect that?

I mean, say for example the entire cast of witches were black in this movie, and we were told we can identify witches by the dark colour of the skin. The black community (and most of the rest of us) would be up in arms over it.

Just because the community of people with limb deformities is much much smaller, should we respect their feelings any less? I don't think so.
    I find your post offensive, and as a member of the community of people with an ounce of common sense, shouldn't you accept and respect that and issue a grovelling apology to me?

For starters, there is no such thing as "the community of people who have such deformities". (Or "the community of people with an ounce of common sense" of course; I was using irony to make a point, which will probably be lost on you). There are people with ectrodactyly, but to suggest that they form a cogent community of themselves is to go down the route of splitting society into any number of infinitesimal "communities" which are not communities at all.

Secondly, clearly no offence was meant in a fictional film. And I don't see anyone affected by ectrodactyly complaining. In fact, that seems to be a common trend here - these things almost always involve people taking offence on behalf of other anonymous people. That completely skews the number of people who are actually bothered about the thing. (They're mostly white females too I think - though they probably wouldn't like to be called pale, stale and female for some reason)

What is offensive is how (American) society seems to be going further down the North Korean route of badgering people into holding certain opinions acceptable to society. There's a bit in This is Paradise by Hyok Kang, a North Korean escapee, about the use of self-criticism in North Korean schools -
    The pupils targeted by the denunciations had to rise to their feet, lower their heads, their chins pressing to their chests, and admit their mistakes, because you don't challenge your incrimination. So my drawing of Kim Il-Sung brought me the admonition of 24 of my classmates. It was absolute hell, because each time it happened, I had to stand up in class once again and tell the whole class how remorseful I was.

This is how North Korea keeps its populace towing the party line from a very early age. And as I say, it's eerily similar to what's happening in America right now with all these bull**** apologies. If that's not a reason to stop being offended by this crap and giving it air to breathe, then the place is in trouble...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

AllForIt wrote: »
    Only actors with limb differences should play characters with limb differences.

I’m surprised you didn’t say only members of the Wiccan faith should play witches - and they should all be positive portrayals.

• Advertisement

tscul32 wrote: »
    The point that's missing is that she doesn't have "missing" fingers cos she's not human. She has 3 fingers cos that's what witches have and she's a witch. That's like saying a dog has 2 "extra" legs. You can't expect different species to look the same.

Dogs are real. Witches aren't real.

Dogs are real. Witches aren't real.

Exactly. So why the **** does it matter if they have elongated fingers or odd shaped hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Exactly. So why the **** does it matter if they have elongated fingers or odd shaped hands?

AmyJane have you a personal perspective a few posts up - I would give more weight to her perspective than yours

Um, witches and warlocks are actually real. You've got the Wicca belief, but there are a variety of groups out there with religious or social beliefs that they consider themselves to be witches, warlocks, shamans, etc. I know a Shaman healer in Kildare who considers himself to be part shaman and part warlock. He dabbles in witchcraft, but his true calling is Shamanism. :D (makes a decent living from it too)

So.. I wonder do we just abolish all forms of expression which might portray any possible group in a negative light or stereotype?

I have a friend who is a fireman. He's tall, very skinny, but still able to do his job extremely well... but the stereotype is vastly different from how he appears. So.. should he be offended by the stereotype....., or going further should only those who fit the stereotype be allowed to be firemen? (do we call them firepeople now?)

AmyJane have you a personal perspective a few posts up - I would give more weight to her perspective than yours

What way do you believe the fictional witches should have been portrayed? What way would you have shown them to ensure that ABSOLUTELY NOBODY could feel offended by it?

Does my perspective that fictional witches aren't representative of disabled people carry less weight because I am not comparing the two?

• Advertisement

What way do you believe the fictional witches should have been portrayed? What way would you have shown them to ensure that ABSOLUTELY NOBODY could feel offended by it?

Does my perspective that fictional witches aren't representative of disabled people carry less weight because I am not comparing the two?

Speaking of weight - can I retroactively take offence and get an apology from Mike Myers and his creation Fat Bastard ???

To be honest as a big girl I was more offended by Shallow Hal - my inner beauty is hotter than Gwyneth Paltrow ffs!!!!

Alex Brooker for one has to realize he was only hired as a comic DUE TO his disability - he’s as funny as an ingrown pubic hair.

Gervais08 wrote: »

Alex Brooker for one has to realize he was only hired as a comic DUE TO his disability - he’s as funny as an ingrown pubic hair.

How many series of the Last Leg have we had now? Prime time Channel 4 and you reckon it's all done for charity?

That's clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Um, witches and warlocks are actually real. You've got the Wicca belief, but there are a variety of groups out there with religious or social beliefs that they consider themselves to be witches, warlocks, shamans, etc. I know a Shaman healer in Kildare who considers himself to be part shaman and part warlock. He dabbles in witchcraft, but his true calling is Shamanism. :D (makes a decent living from it too)

I'm sure there are people who consider themselves to be astronauts, badgers or deep fat fryers who are not really any of these things but make a decent living from it from the deluded.

How many series of the Last Leg have we had now? Prime time Channel 4 and you reckon it's all done for charity?

That's not what was being alluded to.

Are you saying his disability has no bearing on why he got the gig?

Where did I say for “charity” ???

Box ticking, quotas - whatever you want to call it but charity implies some sort of altruism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, I'm sure there are many gobshites out there that think they're "witches" and that they are practising "witchcraft". But the reality is that neither are, technically, "real", because witchcraft doesn't exist.

There's fucking ejits that think they're vampires too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Tandey

Really enjoyed that movie, especially the parts with the mad toes and fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Tandey

AllForIt wrote: »
    Only actors with limb differences should play characters with limb differences.

And only aliens should play aliens ffs.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well, I'm sure there are many gobshites out there that think they're "witches" and that they are practising "witchcraft". But the reality is that neither are, technically, "real", because witchcraft doesn't exist.

There's fucking ejits that think they're vampires too.

haha.. technically, witchcraft does exist since the formulas and ritual exist, and are practiced. It's the same with any religion. And people call themselves witches, so witches exist. It doesn't matter that their rituals are useless, the belief is there. so technically :D it does exist, and has for most of human history.

In any case, it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I'm doing a video documentary about the fact that The Clangers from the moon were not actually real.

JS65009877-1.jpg

Trouble is, I don't want to be offending anyone and I need to find a real life clanger to interview and to be able to speak up for his/her race......please don't hate me for assuming genders. There is not enough space or time to fit them all in.

Yeah, the western world is officially more fúcked up than the east......and the east have bombs going off in their back yard :rolleyes:

Stay Free

• Advertisement

I'm doing a video documentary about the fact that The Clangers from the moon were not actually real.

JS65009877-1.jpg

Trouble is, I don't want to be offending anyone and I need to find a real life clanger to interview and to be able to speak up for his/her race......please don't hate me for assuming genders. There is not enough space or time to fit them all in.

Yeah, the western world is officially more fúcked up than the east......and the east have bombs going off in their back yard :rolleyes:

Mr Spoon from Button Moon now identifies as a non-binary fork.

I don't know what kind of point your trying to make here.
    You are inventing a fictional issue. I remember going down a YouTube rabbit hole around the time of the marriage equality referendum, and there were people the making the point that if we allowed two men to get married then it was inevitable that people would end up marrying there children or marrying goats - that is what you sound like. Not everything is a "slippery slope"

I don't know what kind of point your trying to make here.
    You are inventing a fictional issue. I remember going down a YouTube rabbit hole around the time of the marriage equality referendum, and there were people the making the point that if we allowed two men to get married then it was inevitable that people would end up marrying there children or marrying goats - that is what you sound like. Not everything is a "slippery slope"

For the love of God please stop using the gay community in spurious arguments like this.

My pink brothers were born gay, and want nothing more than the rights they deserve as equals.

They are not making up 100 bull**** identities and making people say black is white and the sky is green.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

For the love of God please stop using the gay community in spurious arguments like this.

My pink brothers were born gay, and want nothing more than the rights they deserve as equals.

They are not making up 100 bull**** identities and making people say black is white and the sky is green.

Is that a bit like saying a man is a
    woman and a woman is a
    man if they want to be?!

There are many ways could represented witches without making a disability a core attribute.

You are entitled to your perspective of course, but you are lucky enough hat you are not really affected by this day to day. The extent of your injury comes down to what, Anne Hathaway sayings two line apology? You don't have a family member getting bullied or called a witch or just generally feeling self conscious due to how their disability is portrayed - your advice to those people would be suck it up and get over it I guess?

Anyway as a final point, representation does matter. There aren't too many disabilities portrayed on TV and I don't think we need to go crowbar disabilities into every film "just because", but if they are portrayed then it should be done in a positive light, or just a normal light. They certainly shouldn't be highlighted as something negative for sure, and in this case it sounds like it was a completely unnecessary detail amyway

Are you deliberately missing my point or did it just go over your head?

Where did I say for “charity” ???

Box ticking, quotas - whatever you want to call it but charity implies some sort of altruism.

What's the quota for smug, white, male, middle-aged comedians?

Full update from Alex Brooker here;
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-54817164

There are many ways could represented witches without making a disability a core attribute.

You are entitled to your perspective of course, but you are lucky enough hat you are not really affected by this day to day. The extent of your injury comes down to what, Anne Hathaway sayings two line apology? You don't have a family member getting bullied or called a witch or just generally feeling self conscious due to how their disability is portrayed - your advice to those people would be suck it up and get over it I guess?

Anyway as a final point, representation does matter. There aren't too many disabilities portrayed on TV and I don't think we need to go crowbar disabilities into every film "just because", but if they are portrayed then it should be done in a positive light, or just a normal light. They certainly shouldn't be highlighted as something negative for sure, and in this case it sounds like it was a completely unnecessary detail amyway

Their disability was not portrayed. The fictitious witches happened to have hands that may look somewhat similar to people who have ectrodactyly .

Huge difference.

The extent of my injury? That is commonly used tactic to attempt to stifle conversation. I never claimed to be injured. My advice to people who are called nasty names? Yes, it would be suck it up. People will always be nasty to people who are "different" and quite frankly, it is naive to think that people with ectrodactyly will be called names because of the witches. If they weren't going to be called witches, it would be another equally insulting names.

You say that disabilities should be portrayed as positive. Maybe, I don't necessarily agree but this film wasn't portraying ectrodactyly so that is moot.

The witches are also bald. How come they haven't issued an apology to alopecia sufferers?

What's the quota for smug, white, male, middle-aged comedians?

Full update from Alex Brooker here;
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-54817164

Too many white guys for you Andrew? Probably would suit you better to consume media from non majority white countries so.

• Advertisement

Too many white guys for you Andrew? Probably would suit you better to consume media from non majority white countries so.

Outside of the Last Leg, do you think that representation of people with disabilities, or black people, or Asian people, or women, or trans people is anything near representative their presence in this population?

Advertisement