Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anne Hathaway apologies for depiction of limb difference

Options

Comments

Tony EH wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with orcs?

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/487285-orcs-racism-woke-dnd/

Knock yourself out.

I won't be quoting from this ****show of an article.

nj27 wrote: »
    I long for the day when every single Hollywood actor is a jet black, disabled, trans, Muslim, asexual.

They missed a trick not getting Christopher Reeves to play Superman after his accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"Im sorry Mel Gibson, we have to give the part of William Wallace to Wee Jimmy Krankie to fulfil our gender, disability, age, nationality quota"

I'd watch that.

"They can takes our lives...but they'll never take our fan-dabby-dozy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/1106/1176307-anne-hathaway/

For **** sake. What the hell is wrong with people getting so easily offended?

Before the usual suspects get in to accuse me of being offended by the apology, I'm not. Yes, I'm baffled, but certainly not offended.

It's so bizarre.

I think the article is a bit misleading. It says she's facing 'heavy criticism'. I mean really? I would say Donald T is facing heavy criticism at the moment. I wouldn't use those words for Anne H's situation. Really she's facing SOME criticism and probably not for a very long time. I think some celebrities need to focus more on their work and less on the robots in the comment section of their social media accounts. If she got away from technology for a second, she might see that really hardly anyone is confronting her about this.

1. Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/487285-orcs-racism-woke-dnd/

Knock yourself out.

I won't be quoting from this ****show of an article.

I'm going to be sorry I asked, aren't I?

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'm going to be sorry I asked, aren't I?

From the horse mouth.

DIVERSITY AND DUNGEONS & DRAGONS

and the more woke analysis of the above.

Wizards of the Coast is addressing racist stereotypes in Dungeons & Dragons

4. Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Orcs represent black people and I know because when I see an orc, I think of black people because I secretly think of black people as disorganized, bloodthirsty monsters with low intelligence and a predilection for violence.
      You're racist if you don't agree.
      I am very smart."
      Funny because it's true

5. Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Black people....apparently.

Orc_mask_by_GrimZombie.jpg

6. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Black people....apparently.

Orc_mask_by_GrimZombie.jpg

Its certainly a POC... green in this case

7. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

colm_mcm wrote: »
      Oddly enough I’ve just started reading ‘The witches’ to my son. We did the chapter last night on how to recognise a witch.
      I must say I wasn’t very comfortable with the way physical afflictions were associated with something supernatural but put it down to the fact that it was written in a different time.
      The grandmother in the story was smoking a cigar and offered it to the 7 year old telling the story - obviously something that would never fly in 2020!
      I’m not a fan of rewriting books, but if making one into a movie (The witches was already released as a film 30 years ago) then I have no issue with removing details that send out the wrong message to their audience.

It shouldn’t be up to actors to apologise for this. Obviously it’s for self preservation and not down to conscience.

I agree with everything you say here, with the exception of the bolded part.

If it was any other actor, I'd probably agree too, but not Anne Hathaway.

""I do my best to be sensitive to the feelings and experiences of others not out of some scrambling PC fear, but because not hurting others seems like a base level of decency we should all be striving for."

I think she is one of the few who is genuinely more concerned with her conscience then her career.

On the topic itself, I guess it wouldn't have occurred to me either, but I do have a friend whose daughter was born with a deformed hand and she got a tough time in school enough as it was. I'd imagine something like this could make a child like her's life a lot more difficult.

8. Advertisement
    9. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Blondini wrote: »
      "Limb Difference"

FFS

What's wrong with twisty leg or gammy hand like we used to say in Old Dublin Town.

Stop the world and let me off.

As someone who was born with a fairly severe deformity it’s preferable to not have individuals like yourself using ignorant terms like the above, you might think it makes you look a “character” to others but in reality it just makes you look ignorant and dense.

10. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

What the hell is wrong with orcs?

Orcs are apparently a racist troupe.

As with everything fun or interesting, those with the outrage boner, need to ruin it for everyone else.

11. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

EazyD wrote: »
      As someone who was born with a fairly severe deformity it’s preferable to not have individuals like yourself using ignorant terms like the above, you might think it makes you look a “character” to others but in reality it just makes you look ignorant and dense.

It is preferable for you and I do feel for you. But you do using the words twisty leg or gammy hand isn't ignorant or dense. It all depends on context and intent.

As unpalatable as it may seem, just because a word offends or isn't the description de jour, doesn't mean it is mean or bad spirited.

The descriptors change on an annual basis.

Can you tell me why "gammy hand" is more offensive than "deformed hand" other than it's what's we are told is acceptable?

12. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

And the same could be said for yourself by using the word dense. Which is why we need to move away from this offended culture.

Social media, internet, mass media for individuals, means that there's few options to stay isolated from such language.... because depending on what decade you're living in the language will change to have different meanings for those who are offended.

You know this yourself. You ignore the ignorant comments in the hope that it's just ignorance, and not pure nastiness.. but either way, there's rarely any positives in calling people up on their behavior. Since in most instances, it's an instinctive use of the term, and likely they won't be in the situation to use it again any time soon. The danger is getting offended on behalf of other people... and believing that you can force change on them.

In this world of ours, we are connected so much more than ever before, which means that there are far more opportunities for people to make stupid remarks, or for someone to get offended (from something intentional or something innocent)

13. Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Its 2020

People who have differently shaped bodies shouldn't be portrayed as monsters anymore.

It makes their lives harder.

It makes children afraid of people who are different in real life. And we know it does.

Seriously, the vast majority of people born in the last 50 years weren't afraid of people with different bodies. Those who were were probably mentally afflicted.

Why will kids these days be?

14. Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Orcs are apparently a racist troupe.

Trope or troupe? Doesn't really matter as people will claim both.

15. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

It is preferable for you and I do feel for you. But you do using the words twisty leg or gammy hand isn't ignorant or dense. It all depends on context and intent.

As unpalatable as it may seem, just because a word offends or isn't the description de jour, doesn't mean it is mean or bad spirited.

The descriptors change on an annual basis.

Can you tell me why "gammy hand" is more offensive than "deformed hand" other than it's what's we are told is acceptable?

Your absolutely correct, context does matter. As such using words like “gammy” in the context of an inanimate object (damaged car, broken door, whatever) is perfectly normal. It implies the object in question is broken and in need of fixing/scrapping.

In the context of referring to another human being like that, it’s hardly the same is it?

16. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

And the same could be said for yourself by using the word dense. Which is why we need to move away from this offended culture.

Thats a very good point.

Someone using the phrase "gammy hand" could easily have no malice but just happened to be using a word you wouldn't prefer.

You on the other hand purposely used dense to insult.

17. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Your absolutely correct, context does matter. As such using words like “gammy” in the context of an inanimate object (damaged car, broken door, whatever) is perfectly normal. It implies the object in question is broken and in need of fixing/scrapping.

In the context of referring to another human being like that, it’s hardly the same is it?

Well no it's not the same. Using it for an inanimate objext would be even more incorrect.

gammy
      /ˈɡami/

(of part of a person's body, especially the leg) unable to function normally because of injury or chronic pain.

18. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Thats a very good point.

Someone using the phrase "gammy hand" could easily have no malice but just happened to be using a word you wouldn't prefer.

I assume you mean EazyD used the word?

19. Advertisement
    20. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Social media, internet, mass media for individuals, means that there's few options to stay isolated from such language.... because depending on what decade you're living in the language will change to have different meanings for those who are offended.

You know this yourself. You ignore the ignorant comments in the hope that it's just ignorance, and not pure nastiness.. but either way, there's rarely any positives in calling people up on their behavior. Since in most instances, it's an instinctive use of the term, and likely they won't be in the situation to use it again any time soon. The danger is getting offended on behalf of other people... and believing that you can force change on them.

In this world of ours, we are connected so much more than ever before, which means that there are far more opportunities for people to make stupid remarks, or for someone to get offended (from something intentional or something innocent)

With all due respect there is no instance where substituting a word like “disabled” with “h-capped” would be deemed socially acceptable and that has been the case for quite some time, why would this be considered any different? You wouldn’t refer to your own parent/sibling/child with such terminology so why not extend that courtesy to others?

21. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

I assume you mean EazyD used the word?

Sorry chief. Yes, I didn't mean you. I was just quoting you because you made the point.

More than happy to clarify.

22. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

With all due respect there is no instance where substituting a word like “disabled” with “h-capped” would be deemed socially acceptable and that has been the case for quite some time, why would this be considered any different? You wouldn’t refer to your own parent/sibling/child with such terminology so why not extend that courtesy to others?

Wait, handicapped is now offensive?

Actually, I just looked it up. Aren't you out of date too?

It's now "differently abled" as "disabled" has negative connotations.

Do you see how ridiculous this is becoming?

23. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Thats a very good point.

“Happened to be using a word you wouldn’t prefer” is just ignorance in this context. Whilst it is certainly preferable to it being said with malice it nonetheless can cause a lot of hurt to an individual and is completely unnecessary. Before you say something, perhaps just for one second think “would I say that to my own lot or have it said to me”, the answer is of course no.

I don’t know the poster in question, I simply believe using those words amounts to that person being either ignorant and/or particularly stupid (or dense) in the context of speaking about disabled people.

24. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Whilst it is certainly preferable to it being said with malice it nonetheless can cause a lot of hurt to an individual and is completely unnecessary.
      I simply believe using those words amounts to that person being either ignorant and/or particularly stupid (or dense) in the context of speaking about disabled people.

If you can't see the hypocrisy, then I don't know what to tell you

25. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Wait, handicapped is now offensive?

Actually, I just looked it up. Aren't you out of date too?

It's now "differently abled" as "disabled" has negative connotations.

Do you see how ridiculous this is becoming?

I think your angle on this is..... completely disingenuous to say the least. Using the word disabled in public when referring to disabilities or disabled individuals wouldn’t attract a second look, you think substituting the word “gammy” for it would have the same reaction? No it wouldn’t and you full well know it wouldn’t.

26. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

I think your angle on this is..... completely disingenuous to say the least. Using the word disabled in public when referring to disabilities or disabled individuals wouldn’t attract a second look, you think substituting the word “gammy” for it would have the same reaction? No it wouldn’t and you full well know it wouldn’t.

In an official capacity, perhaps you are correct.

In a social capacity, no. I don't think so. I think it's actually quite clinical.

27. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

In an official capacity, perhaps you are correct.

In a social capacity, no. I don't think so. I think it's actually quite clinical.

Perhaps in your circles using that kind of terminology to refer to disabled people is seen as normal. I think you’ll find most reasonable well adjusted people wouldn’t use or condone same.

28. Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Perhaps in your circles using that kind of terminology to refer to disabled people is seen as normal. I think you’ll find most reasonable well adjusted people wouldn’t use or condone same.

Bollocks, frankly! :pac:

Quoting something I wrote before, but feck it -

That seems more like a useful skill than an unwanted bodily quirk :P

Blind in one eye (uveitis) with a gammy hip (congenital hip dysplasia)...

I can also tell when someone is bursting to tell a pirate joke but keeps it in trying to be polite, it's written all over their face :pac:

You talk about context, but it's permissible for you to use whatever words you like in an deliberate attempt to humiliate someone where it's clear no malice is intended,,, and one doesn't have to be a genius to figure out that much either.

29. Advertisement
    30. Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I have never heard anybody refer to a person as gammy. I have heard people with various conditions refer to their own affected limbs and organs as gammy though.

Advertisement