Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anne Hathaway apologies for depiction of limb difference

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I agree THIS instance ...this apology ..is about virtue sig...i mean if she cared ..just don't do the film etc.

Far as I know, she issued the apology after the film came out, because like she said it’s just basic human decency not to want to hurt or offend other people. She only realised how it could be hurtful when she became aware of how it affected other people, perfectly normal stuff. This kind of stuff for example -

The Witches: Why are Paralympians writing '#NotAWitch' on their bodies?

As Ann Hathaway herself said, it’s nothing to do with being PC or virtue signalling, for her it’s just about having a basic level of human decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Far as I know, she issued the apology after the film came out, because like she said it’s just basic human decency not to want to hurt or offend other people. She only realised how it could be hurtful when she became aware of how it affected other people, perfectly normal stuff. This kind of stuff for example -

As Ann Hathaway herself said, it’s nothing to do with being PC or virtue signalling, for her it’s just about having a basic level of human decency.

Well i think knowing hollywoods actual level of intelligence and sophistication I would believe she actually didn't have a clue.

But i mean ...her fee must have been huge and tempting.

TBH though

Coraline ..had a great villain and designed it so well. The other mother.

Its 2020

People who have differently shaped bodies shouldn't be portrayed as monsters anymore.

It makes their lives harder.

It makes children afraid of people who are different in real life. And we know it does.

Woah!

Thats some next level stuff there.

Theres a huge difference between being a monster BECAUSE you have a differently shaped body and being a monster WITH a differently shaped body.

Thats madness.

Vampires shouldnt have fangs because people with pointy incisors might get called dracula?

Woah!

Thats some next level stuff there.

Theres a huge difference between being a monster BECAUSE you have a differently shaped body and being a monster WITH a differently shaped body.

Thats madness.

Vampires shouldnt have fangs because people with pointy incisors might get called dracula?
    vampires are depicted as glamorous ..perfect even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

"Limb Difference"

FFS

What's wrong with twisty leg or gammy hand like we used to say in Old Dublin Town.

Stop the world and let me off.

• Advertisement

nosferatu would like a word

nosferatu would like a word
    I know ..but i have a strange need to LOOK like a vampire ok!

:D

I used to draw ..i guess ....differently abled fairies ....but they were all good ..but good in an Addams family kind of way.

I never thought it could get me into trouble tho.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Is there a disability where people have 3 long claws for a hand? The athlete in the photo with 'not a witch' written on her arm didn't look anything like the witch claw thing Anne Hathaway's character had. It was completely and totally different and comparing the two is weirdly insulting to people with physical difference. As if all differences are completely the same, including totally made up fantasy supernatural ones.

I don't have a physical disability but I do have a facial birthmark so I have an understanding of having a difference on your body that can result in you being treated differently and shape, to some degree, how you act in the world. And more importantly, how for the most part it really, really doesn't. How it's a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny part of how I am and how people treat me. (Obviously something that meant I had different abilities and need to make adaptations to how I get through life would be a real difference, but this about how people treat people with differences.) Any campaign of this sort will result in making people feel an absolute fücktonne worse about their differences than just getting on with life. It's looking for problems that aren't there and finding hurt and offence where none was intended. I can't actually imagine how bloody insecure I'd feel about myself if I'd been subjected to this kind of shït when I was growing up. Teaching people about differences, about how not to hurt others, talking about the whats and whys of things is good. But creating problems where there aren't any only hurts people more and makes difference much bigger than they are.

iguana wrote: »
    Is there a disability where people have 3 long claws for a hand? The athlete in the photo with 'not a witch' written on her arm didn't look anything like the witch claw thing Anne Hathaway's character had. It was completely and totally different and comparing the two is weirdly insulting to people with physical difference. As if all differences are completely the same, including totally made up fantasy supernatural ones.

I don't have a physical disability but I do have a facial birthmark so I have an understanding of having a difference on your body that can result in you being treated differently and shape, to some degree, how you act in the world. And more importantly, how for the most part it really, really doesn't. How it's a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny part of how I am and how people treat me. (Obviously something that meant I had different abilities and need to make adaptations to how I get through life would be a real difference, but this about how people treat people's with differences.) Any campaign of this sort will result in making people feel an absolute fücktonne worse about their differences than just getting on with life. It's looking for problems that aren't there and finding hurt and offence where none was intended. I can't actually imagine how bloody insecure I'd feel about myself if I'd been subjected to this kind of shït when I was growing up. Teaching people about differences, about how not to hurt others, talking about the whats and whys of things is good. But creating problems where there aren't any only hurts people more and makes difference much bigger than they are.

I respect your opinion.

I agree actually.

You need to do things in a way ...so that people don't work out what you are doing.

Do it subversively.

Edward scissor hands style.

You can manipulate human behavior very well.

I can manipulate human behavior? Err...
    Think of how it affected LGBT people in such a short time.

If we say ...lets just let it be ....it will just be.

Ahh.. I'm not entering that rabbit hole. I've seen your views before, and we're at opposite ends there.
    You didn't deserve to go through what you did. And saying that ...doesn't make you weak. It makes you stronger in my eyes.

I would have stood up for you ! Not that you couldn't for yourself. But i would support you.

And your support would have been worth absolutely nothing, and in many ways, be worse than nothing. Why? firstly, it still relates to how I deal with my individual situation. Every individual has to come to terms with their own changing environment. Secondly, though, your need to enforce your views on others would simply create more hostility for me to deal with. You wouldn't have to deal with that hostility, but the person you're trying to protect, would. People really dislike having their flaws thrown in their faces, and then, being told to change (but lacking any effective means to bring about change, even if they wanted to)
    I agree THIS instance ...this apology ..is about virtue sig...i mean if she cared ..just don't do the film etc.

No. Do the film. It wasn't a film about disabilities. It was a film about fantasy. For entertainment. If people want to see the film, good for them. If they don't, good for them.

This wasn't about people with disabilities until the outraged people sought recognition, and gained that recognition with the Studio/actors apology. YAY. How perfectly useless a gesture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Edward scissor hands style.

You can't call him that any more.

It's now Edward Limb Difference.

I can manipulate human behavior? Err...

Certainly you can. In fact klaz ..it might be your greatest unexploited power!

:D

I cannot speak to your personal experiences obv they are not within my frame of life experience etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

She only realised how it could be hurtful when she became aware of how it affected other people, perfectly normal stuff.

How much of our art, culture and tradition must we suppress or reinterpret to ensure no-one is ever hurt?

Blondini wrote: »

Whatever his name he was the crush of a generation of teen girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Blondini wrote: »

Edward Differrntly Fingered

No, that wouldn't do, would it? I didn't think that one through but will leave it there cos it made me giggle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's a push in fiction for this nonsense, the woke have a real problem with ****ing orcs for instance and Elves are obviously white supremacist. Since all fantasy/scifi species/races/whatever are just stand-ins for humans,

Nermal wrote: »
    How much of our art, culture and tradition must we suppress or reinterpret to ensure no-one is ever hurt?

All of it.

Not to worry though. Soon, the only actors who can play a role, will genuinely be the same as that role. ie. A disabled person playing a disabled person, a trans playing a trans, etc. We'll have a incredibly diverse cast in every production even when historically the era only had white people (no need for diversity when it's a black cultural reference).

No doubt we'll soon have a reproduction of Glenmore with a Nigerian Irish Biddy, and a Syrian Irish Fr. Tracy, etc

Varik wrote: »
    There's a push in fiction for this nonsense, the woke have a real problem with ****ing orcs for instance and Elves are obviously white supremacist. Since all fantasy/scifi species/races/whatever are just stand-ins for humans,

Yup. they've been going after Orcs recently. The world has gone full retard. :pac:

Well i think knowing hollywoods actual level of intelligence and sophistication I would believe she actually didn't have a clue.

But i mean ...her fee must have been huge and tempting.

TBH though

Coraline ..had a great villain and designed it so well. The other mother.

Ahh it’s understandable that if someone has no experience of something, they’re not likely to have a clue or to make the same associations as other people who have these conditions would make, nothing to do with enormous fees or any of the rest of it. It was just an oversight on Ann Hathaways part and she apologised for any hurt or offence caused to people with these conditions. It was probably the least Hollywood-like behaviour I’ve ever seen because normally, Hollywood types don’t apologise for shìt, they always try and turn it around and make themselves out to be the victim.

I haven’t seen Coraline (it’s on my “must watch” list now though :D), but one of the best re-tellings of a story I’ve seen in recent years was Angelina Jolie in Maleficent - thought of as the villian of the Sleeping Beauty story, but the “reality” as it were, was more complicated.

Varik wrote: »

Are pixies still cool?

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Are pixies still cool?

Well, Tinker Bell did try to have Wendy killed... not cool :pac:

Tinker Bell is a fairy, so what would you expect.

I hated wendy.

She was so boring

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Tinker Bell is a fairy, so what would you expect.
    imma fairy and YES we are evil :D

All of it.

Not to worry though. Soon, the only actors who can play a role, will genuinely be the same as that role. ie. A disabled person playing a disabled person, a trans playing a trans, etc. We'll have a incredibly diverse cast in every production even when historically the era only had white people (no need for diversity when it's a black cultural reference).

No doubt we'll soon have a reproduction of Glenmore with a Nigerian Irish Biddy, and a Syrian Irish Fr. Tracy, etc

ha.

Imagine the casting directors:

"We are looking to cast the part of a rape victim, can you please confirm you've been raped?"

"Im sorry Mel Gibson, we have to give the part of William Wallace to Wee Jimmy Krankie to fulfil our gender, disability, age, nationality quota"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

This happened only about a decade ago. The choice of the children’s programme presenter viciously attacked by numerous parents, because she only had one arm and would give their kids nightmares... or something.

Apologies about the source, it was just the first link that popped up with the story from 2009.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1152466/One-armed-presenter-scaring-children-parents-tell-BBC.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Untitled-1.jpg

People with large ears might get upset.

Actually, on the modern vampire...their transformation into a, largely, female sex object has led to their deep, deep, decline. It's the reason they...um...suck these days.

I prefer my vampires to be frightening creatures. Not something that sparkles or people want to fuck.

Untitled-2.jpg

Oh no, bad teeth.

Untitled-3.jpg

Yup. they've been going after Orcs recently. The world has gone full retard. :pac:

What the hell is wrong with orcs?

I haven’t seen Coraline

Watch it. It's excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I long for the day when every single Hollywood actor is a jet black, disabled, trans, Muslim, asexual.

Advertisement