Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are Ireland's unsung heroes?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Roger Casement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Stovepipe wrote: »
    I dislike him intently, as an airline worker, but credit where credit is due, he is also one of the highest personal taxpayers in the country. One year, he paid Eu 70 million on his earnings. he should have a statue erected to him. Maybe the rudder off a grounded 737 Max, with his name on it?

He has also ran in such a financially responsible manner a company that is able to absorb the losses of 2020 so far and is refunding it’s customers, albeit slowly which for such a high cost low margin business is nothing short of a miracle.

Ryanair will bounce back incredibly well from this due to their flexibility.

I would hate to work for him though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Thomas McMahon, definitely put Ireland on the world stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Tom Kettle. A man with wisdom far beyond his years.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mountain Rescue and Prison Officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Dirtbird

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

My vote goes to Catherine Corless for the tireless work she did exposing the scandal of the Tuam babies. She quietly and diligently researched what had happened to the bodies of nearly 800 babies. An unassuming amateur historian who has uncovered the horrors and dark secrets of the Mother and Baby home and hopefully given closure to those involved.
    Definitely a hero in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I once shook his hand

didnt know who he was until a neighbour told me a few days later he was canvassing for SF in a bye election , out of his own constituency too but sure they help out their own

wasnt much of a political debater , kept giving out about Michael McDowell who was minister for justice at the time , cant remember how he came up but i seem to remember him not being too happy with my praising McDowell , he probably sussed i wouldnt be giving a vote to the shinner on the ballot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

jos28 wrote: »
    My vote goes to Catherine Corless for the tireless work she did exposing the scandal of the Tuam babies. She quietly and diligently researched what had happened to the bodies of nearly 800 babies. An unassuming amateur historian who has uncovered the horrors and dark secrets of the Mother and Baby home and hopefully given closure to those involved.
    Definitely a hero in my book.

id have said absolutely thirty years ago or more but someone like that was always going to be warmly received for her investigation in this day and age so it wasnt especially brave however important it was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Most of them we will never know about because they don't seek fame, fortune, recognition etc. They just get on with doing things quietly.

Carers, volunteers for across a range of areas, especially those who put their own lives at risk to protect others, those who expose issues of corrupt or wrongdoing- Catherine Corless, Veronia Guerin etc.

Some are event accidental, Savita Halappanavar, while unfortunately she had to lose her live. She indirectly brought about momental change for women in this country.

Mark Tighe'a work on the FAI to a lessor extent.

Most are quietly getting on with it, those who are caring for people with limited respite, the teachers that encourage kids when they don't have it elsewhere, those who report child abuse, those who step up and care for kids when their parents can't, the parents who sacrifice so much so their children can have a better life than them, volunteers in disadvantaged areas who give people hope etc.

Anyone who does anything to benefit others for zero personal gain and often with large personal sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Im sorry but that is simple not true.

Im no apologist and theres certainly a lot of ****ty scams pulled on vulnerable people by scumbags but they are not going around killing them or causing them to die.

The Dundons left an old man hanging upside down in his own home after they robbed and beat him, knackers beat old weak people up all the time. do some research.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭careful_now

Tom Crean

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

People who look after the sewerage system and drainage working away.

Can see a bit here the type of places Dublin City Council get to.

@4.30

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The Dundons left an old man hanging upside down in his own home after they robbed and beat him, knackers beat old weak people up all the time. do some research.

Right so, lets clarify this shall we. a criminal gang called the Campions and in fact NOT the Dundons, commited a serious assault over 20 years ago and that in your mind is ample evidence that travellers / pavees are running around the country presently and murdering people in their homes?

You do some research, 1 murder 20 years ago by a settled criminal family, while horrendous, is not evidence of mass traveller on settled murders.

For some consideration, in 2017 Ireland had a total of 41 murders (.9 per 100,000 and way below the global average thankfully). From those 41, over a dozen were directly related to internal criminal murders. 7 were as a direct result of domestic violence.

Im sorry to derail the thread but blatant incorrect statements need to be addressed regardless of how we feel about the target

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Right so, lets clarify this shall we. a criminal gang called the Campions and in fact NOT the Dundons, commited a serious assault over 20 years ago and that in your mind is ample evidence that travellers / pavees are running around the country presently and murdering people in their homes?

You do some research, 1 murder 20 years ago by a settled criminal family, while horrendous, is not evidence of mass traveller on settled murders.

For some consideration, in 2017 Ireland had a total of 41 murders (.9 per 100,000 and way below the global average thankfully). From those 41, over a dozen were directly related to internal criminal murders. 7 were as a direct result of domestic violence.

Im sorry to derail the thread but blatant incorrect statements need to be addressed regardless of how we feel about the target

Travellers regularly rob and beat old people in their own homes. im not saying they murder most of them but them do beat them. if you beat an old person there is a very high chance it might result in their death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Boards got no love for the teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I'm sure that this has been mentioned but they probably deserve another mention.

I was in town the other day and I was heading home late.

I think that the people who help the homeless do fantastic work. Ideally it's work that they shouldn't have to do.

It's good to know that there are people that are still kind and considerate enough that they go out of there way to help the less fortunate.

I sometime feel guilty that I don't do it myself so I tip my hat to them.

Another group that I'd like to mention are those who help people with serious addiction and mental health issues. Difficult for all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

It's one of the few places where you'll regularly see tedious edgelords having a go at nurses, so I don't fancy the teachers' chances. Yes, they get good holidays (although many of them have to find alternative employment or sign on the dole outside of the school term), but the work they do (and it goes well beyond 9am - 3pm) is seriously undervalued.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I once shook his hand

didnt know who he was until a neighbour told me a few days later he was canvassing for SF in a bye election , out of his own constituency too but sure they help out their own

wasnt much of a political debater , kept giving out about Michael McDowell who was minister for justice at the time , cant remember how he came up but i seem to remember him not being too happy with my praising McDowell , he probably sussed i wouldnt be giving a vote to the shinner on the ballot

Shinners hate McDowell because he stood up to them when Blair, Ahern, Clinton were praising them

• Advertisement

.anon. wrote: »
    sign on the dole outside of the school term

fulltime teachers can have their salaries spread over 12 months and cant sign on, its only temps that can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Nope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Your Face wrote: »
    Nope.

Me neither.

Teachers should have to work during the summer in admin roles. Exam marking and invigilation should be part of their contract.

Teachers should have to sit the LC every year in subjects they are paid to teach to ensure their knowledge is up to par.
    So many other professionals undergo regular performance reviews, why not teachers?

They should get 4 weeks annual leave like everyone else whilst doing admin work when kids have their holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Liam Neeson, he died for Ireland’s cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No mention of foster carers yet?

Treated as little more than paid help by Social Services, they deal with some of the most difficult children you could meet (through no fault of their own), their birth parents and The System.

Work with a guy who started fostering kids with his wife. One of the kids stole form them, threatened them, ran away, friend's of the kid called the house and threatened to burn them out etc. Social service were of no help and went as far as to blame them for the behaviour of the kid. so they stopped fostering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Work with a guy who started fostering kids with his wife. One of the kids stole form them, threatened them, ran away, friend's of the kid called the house and threatened to burn them out etc. Social service were of no help and went as far as to blame them for the behaviour of the kid. so they stopped fostering.

The ungrateful little b@stard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    The ungrateful little b@stard.
    It was really awful, the pair of them are saints, they did everything to support him, they were out driving around Dublin at night searching for him a dozen times worried to tears. Whatever about the kid being a hateful little sh1t, the way their liaison officer treated them was disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Sounds like Dodge from Home and Away. A flamin' mongrel of the highest order. Pippa and Tom gave him everything he needed, but he still torched the local store and killed Steven's uncle who was asleep in the adjoining flat. Frank would've died in the fire too, except he went out drinking in Yabbie Creek for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I hear you. If they make a complaint about Social Services, the person they complain to is the top Social Worker in their district. The wagons then start to circle, protecting themselves. Malicious bastards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Me neither.

Teachers should have to work during the summer in admin roles. Exam marking and invigilation should be part of their contract.

Teachers should have to sit the LC every year in subjects they are paid to teach to ensure their knowledge is up to par.
    So many other professionals undergo regular performance reviews, why not teachers?

They should get 4 weeks annual leave like everyone else whilst doing admin work when kids have their holidays.

What admin roles should they work at ? Should they do the work of the schools admin staff ?

There was a genius who posted on boards recently that they should be put to work in school maintenance while on their holidays , cutting grass , painting etc.

How do you know teachers dont do continuous professional development throughout thier career ?

Advertisement