Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are Ireland's unsung heroes?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Mine is Padraig Nally.
    He did society a favour and ridded us of vermin that otherwise would have robbed and terrorised other vulnerable people. Ward messed with the wrong person.

He deliberately killed an already seriously injured man who was trying to get away from him. He should be serving a life sentence for murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Cleaners. 10.80 an hour.

Probably worked harder than 90% of other people working in hospitals during the first lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭CharlesMartel

.anon. wrote: »
    He deliberately killed an already seriously injured man who was trying to get away from him. He should be serving a life sentence for murder.

He was living in absolute fear on his isolated farmhouse, with no support(law enforcement or otherwise) in an area where other farmers had been tortured and murdered. I suspect if he hadn't killed a larger gang would have come back and tortured and murdered Mr Nally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Dil Wickremasinghe who used to present Global Village on Newstalk. Has disappeared from the public eye a little in recent years, but she did brilliant work in highlighting the struggles faced by immigrants, minorities, the LGBTQ community etc in Ireland.

she turned what had started out as an interesting programme about foreign places and the lives of people into a platform for LGBTQ issues.....plenty of air space given to them already so I turned it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Some will say that but in that type of World Ward wouldn’t have being able to walk free with his 80 previous convictions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Dil Wickremasinghe who used to present Global Village on Newstalk. Has disappeared from the public eye a little in recent years ....

..... although she still managed to have an article published in the Irish Times as recently as two days ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

This seems to be like the "What person can you inexplicably not stand?" thread where people give incredibly common examples like Ryan Tubridy and also give an explanation.
    It's a total contradiction to the claimed purpose of the thread, but realistically the aim was just to harvest thanks anyway.

Who do people think they're kidding saying nurses are "unsung"? They're publicly feted, praised and sympathised with, and have been long before the pandemic.

..... although she still managed to have an article published in the Irish Times as recently as two days ago!

Just read Dil's online bio. Seems as a lesbien she was told her media career wouldn't progress in Sri Lanka, so she left. Bravery right there. Lecturing us on LGBT/immigrant rights, where safety is guaranteed, and career protected etc but wouldn't fight for her rights where she grew up and where she worked in the media. Pathetic. It would be like David Norris leaving Ireland as a young man and only returning after homosexuality is decriminilised, then lecturing us on how homophobic we are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

This seems to be like the "What person can you inexplicably not stand?" thread where people give incredibly common examples like Ryan Tubridy and also give an explanation.
    It's a total contradiction to the claimed purpose of the thread, but realistically the aim was just to harvest thanks anyway.

Who do people think they're kidding saying nurses are "unsung"? They're publicly feted, praised and sympathised with, and have been long before the pandemic.

Pre covid nurses were certainly believing their own hype - I watched plenty of ignorant, disinterested, lazy and in some cases shockingly dangerously lazy nurses in the 3 years I spent visiting an acute ward in a so called centre of excellence city hospital. I guess now that there is risk and consequence attached to their job they will be permanently sanctified. I wonder how many are getting away with their lazy disinterested ways now that there are far less witnessess and no families to watch put for the vulnerable and those needing anything done for them in long term ‘homes’ and unsupervised family funded commercial care institutes.

Firemen. Unsung heros.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Do you think Ward would have cared if Nally was injured?

The fück he would. He'd step over him to get what he wants. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When he was in jail he received more well-wishers mail than anyone I've ever seen in my life. Take from that what you will.

Omackeral wrote: »
    When he was in jail he received more well-wishers mail than anyone I've ever seen in my life. Take from that what you will.

A hero to those who think it's acceptable to shoot a person dead when he's on the ground, trying to escape, having already been shot in the arse and given a beating. Not unsung, and not a hero to anyone with a shred of basic human decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A hero to those who think it's acceptable to shoot a person dead when he's on the ground, trying to escape, having already been shot in the arse and given a beating. Not unsung, and not a hero to anyone with a shred of basic human decency.

Trying to escape from what? What was he doing there? Most people's sympathies lie with Mr Nally. The poor man took no joy in what he dead. He was reduced to sleeping in a shed like an animal. Where's the human decency in that?

You post like Nally was leading a normal life, not living in fear, and didn;t have to make a pressured hasty decision. And Ward was not the new postman either

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

To be honest, Mr Ward f*cked with the wrong guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Celebrity lawyer Gerald Kean is one of Ireland's unsung heroes if you ask me. He came from relatively humble beginnings, starting on a salary of only £7000 per year, but eventually became fabulously wealthy.

You don't see him in the spotlight as much anymore, but he used to have a lavish lifestyle and a very glamorous relationship with Lisa Murphy. Extremely charitable guy, often raising tens of thousands with his charity dinner evenings. Just seems like a top guy and don't think he's ever got the recognition he deserves.

While not unsung, Sir Bob Geldof is another of Ireland's real gems.

G Kean is hardly a "hero" though...

Omackeral wrote: »
    Trying to escape from what? What was he doing there? Most people's sympathies lie with Mr Nally. The poor man took no joy in what he dead. He was reduced to sleeping in a shed like an animal. Where's the human decency in that?

Trying to escape from a man who was trying to kill him. Whatever Ward was doing there - and let's assume, based on his history and his general character, that he intended to steal from Nally - he didn't deserve to be killed for it. We don't have the death penalty for the most heinous crimes, let alone theft. It could be argued that when he shot and brutally beat him (to the extent that his skull was exposed), Nally was acting in self-defence. There's a chance that he might even have died from those injuries. But Nally went back, reloaded his gun and made sure to finish him off. That's not heroic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Landlords. Supplying housing for the proletariat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I live in a rural area, so pretty much every GAA player is a hero according to many of my neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Are Frogs a preserved species under the Wildlife Acts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Granadino wrote: »

Gerald does give a lot to charity, in both time and money. I’ve encountered him at a number of, the more upmarket, “events”.

Was at one such event last Christmas in the Shelbourne Hotel, Mark Cagney was MCing, and not only did he win an auction prize but when one of the prizes was for a meal cooked in your own home by a “celebrity chef”, whom Mr. Kean was aquatinted with, he generously put himself up as a prize where he would, himself, come to your home and cook a meal. Raised a tidy sum too.

As for my own suggestion, I would put forward 2 “unsung” heroes. The first being Rory O’Neill aka Panti Bliss. For their tireless campaigning for LGBQTIA+ rights.

The second is, of course, Brian O’Driscoll. A great sportsman for both club and country and a great “ambassador” both rugby and for Ireland, itself.

The tide is turning…

The second is, of course, Brian O’Driscoll. A great sportsman for both club and country and a great “ambassador” both rugby and for Ireland, itself.

Unsung? Brian O'Driscoll is a glorified deity in this country - he is BOD after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

No mention of foster carers yet?

Treated as little more than paid help by Social Services, they deal with some of the most difficult children you could meet (through no fault of their own), their birth parents and The System.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cleaners. 10.80 an hour.

Probably worked harder than 90% of other people working in hospitals during the first lockdown.

Not forgetting the great supermarket workers who kept the shelves stocked from the very start of Covid. But then Sharon and Monika from Tesco aren't as sexy a story as Nurse Mary so don't deserve the 8 o clock round of applause

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Boards.ie

I know I know! Don't shoot me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Landlords. Supplying housing for the proletariat.

...and making a tidy profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Ryan Tubridy for his 'Late Late Christmas Toy Show Special', kids love it, so they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Edgware wrote: »
    Not forgetting the great supermarket workers who kept the shelves stocked from the very start of Covid. But then Sharon and Monika from Tesco aren't as sexy a story as Nurse Mary so don't deserve the 8 o clock round of applause

The "applause" was the most insulting thing thought up by govt.

Cleaners, carers, shop assistants, delivery people. The ones without unions or lobby groups and a ****ty pay packet to show for it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

Turlough O'Carolan. Harper and composer from the 17th Century, considered to be our national composer but hardly anybody knows of his works.

All I know is this, you want a 5 month old baby to go to sleep, stick on a bit of Turlough O'Carolan and all will be well. Very good music melodies too. Lounging job vibes.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Granadino wrote: »

He's the hero Ireland deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Rich Loud Lawyer.”

Advertisement