Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are Ireland's unsung heroes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

I'm a healthcare worker and all that rounds of applause and "Feed the Heroes" was an absolute embarrassment in my opinion. The people working in shops, service stations etc for minimum wage in a time of crisis when no-one quite knew what Covid was are/were far more deserving.

Berties_Horse

No mention of foster carers yet?

Treated as little more than paid help by Social Services, they deal with some of the most difficult children you could meet (through no fault of their own), their birth parents and The System.

In my experience they are generally people that take the money and don't give two ****s about the kids.

Bit that's just my limited experience with the bad eggs I guess.

Plenty of good shouts already.

Before covid I think the staff in the old folks home were underappreciated. My grandfather needed 24 / 7 care until covid took him and he was hard work. Mentally gone but still physically strong. No way could I have done that job. Not for double what I'm on now.

Fishermen. Now there's a hard days work and dangerous as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭global23214124

I'd go with Tidy Towns volunteers, who put a huge personal effort into keeping our towns and villages looking nice, and cleaning up other people's mess for no personal reward.

Or maybe the likes of Limerick Suicide Watch, who are trained volunteers who patrol the city, looking to help unfortunate people thinking of taking their lives in the river. Many lives saved.

Or SARDA, the Search and Rescue Dog Association - again, all volunteers, who put an enormous effort into training their dogs to exceptionally high standards for very difficult search and rescue duties.

Plenty of positive unsung heroes about to choose from, this list is not exhaustive.

I'd have the Coast Guard and RNLI volunteers at the top of my list, but in fairness, I don't think they're unsung - I think everyone does recognise their virtually unmatched heroism.

I second Limerick Suicide Watch. They stopped a friend of mine having a turn just in time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It has to be Beasty.

He can be trigger happy from time to time, but the crap he has to put up with must be something that would drive any sane person demented.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Scooping wild animals out of the sea for commercial profit dosn’t make one a hero IMO.

But I agree about the nursing home care
    workers - the ones who care. Not the ones who
    din’t bother, scroll facebook all day and hang with the ‘nurses’ at the station gabbering all day until the bare minimum in feeding or a bed wash or giving knock out tablets has to be done. There are too many of them and I now worry that there are no witnesses, no independent controls and zero
    chance of even a one a year HIQUA inspection.l to monitor what is being done and what os going on. It wouldn’t be allowed happen to criminals what happens to the elderly and vulnerable in nursing homes. It is frightening what is going on in plain sight and what is being allowed
    to happen in this country. But there are some who do a great job and really care. And they are worth their weight in gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Dil Wickremasinghe who used to present Global Village on Newstalk. Has disappeared from the public eye a little in recent years, but she did brilliant work in highlighting the struggles faced by immigrants, minorities, the LGBTQ community etc in Ireland.

Best thing Newstalk ever did was getting rid of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

TCM wrote: »
    Best thing Newstalk ever did was getting rid of her.

One of the most hate filled venemous programmes against the native Irish I have ever heard. If a white Irish person went on air and spewed out her typical bile and anti Irish racism they would have been taken off
    the air months before and prosecuted. I’d say the station was just waiting for their chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

...and making a tidy profit.

ya right , about 3 grand profit on 120,000 outlay . 2.5% would hardly be classed as a ''tidy'' profit . Some years wouldn't even do that after non payment of rent , damage , wear and tear , management fees, tax , prsi and of course the fee to the tenancy board to protect the tenant when they act the bo..ocks.

Any way

I always said the lifeboat and crews are real unsung heros in this country . on standby 24/7 to put their own lives at risk to save others . I've seen then go to sea on days that would terrify you . Running down the road , down the Marina and full speed out the dock into the tempest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Celebrity lawyer Gerald Kean is one of Ireland's unsung heroes if you ask me. He came from relatively humble beginnings, starting on a salary of only £7000 per year, but eventually became fabulously wealthy.

You don't see him in the spotlight as much anymore, but he used to have a lavish lifestyle and a very glamorous relationship with Lisa Murphy. Extremely charitable guy, often raising tens of thousands with his charity dinner evenings. Just seems like a top guy and don't think he's ever got the recognition he deserves.

While not unsung, Sir Bob Geldof is another of Ireland's real gems.

That's Brass Eye level of satire

.anon. wrote: »
    He deliberately killed an already seriously injured man who was trying to get away from him. He should be serving a life sentence for murder.

No one has ever done life for the above, mitigating circumstances were a plenty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

...and making a tidy profit.

In some cases. In some others, they are ripped off by delinquent tenants who are virtually impossible to evict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Most ordinary people are unsung heroes.

Almost everyone has made huge sacrifices for the greater good, to help those that need most help, people they don't even know.
    Volunteers all over the country, delivering meals, prescriptions, shopping, just calling and making sure all is ok, these people are heroes.
    Adhering to guidelines despite the hardship it brought, these people are heroes.

The small few who take up most air time, the anti-maskers, conspiracy idiots, can't tell me what to do morons, they think they are heroes, they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I think our children should get a mention. Back in March their world was turned upside down when the schools closed, all their usual activities were suddenly cancelled.
    They were at home, often with a parent working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Samsgirl wrote: »
    I think our children should get a mention. Back in March their world was turned upside down when the schools closed, all their usual activities were suddenly cancelled.
    They were at home, often with a parent working from home.

lol heroes. kids never had it as good in this country even with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,278 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

pgj2015 wrote: »

Most of the ones I know were delighted with the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Michael O Leary.

There should be a statue of that man oConnell street in Dublin.

He has done more for the Irish Economy than any other Irish Person.

His methods are extraordinary, his manner lacks refinement but Ryanair and tourism in Ireland wouldn’t be what the success it has been for years now without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Office cleaners, it’s only now working from home that their efforts come to the fore.

Actually it's the elderly who " never had it as good "

Poverty amongst children is far higher than amongst pensioners

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Decent builders, mechanics, plumbers, electricians, roofers etc. who do a good job and don't rip people off.

Had a builder out recently doing some work, was wary as builders have tried to rip me off a fair bit over the years, this guy was top notch, nice guy, did great work for a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Michael O Leary.

There should be a statue of that man oConnell street in Dublin.

He has done more for the Irish Economy than any other Irish Person.

His methods are extraordinary, his manner lacks refinement but Ryanair and tourism in Ireland wouldn’t be what the success it has been for years now without him.
    I dislike him intently, as an airline worker, but credit where credit is due, he is also one of the highest personal taxpayers in the country. One year, he paid Eu 70 million on his earnings. he should have a statue erected to him. Maybe the rudder off a grounded 737 Max, with his name on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Actually it's the elderly who " never had it as good "

Poverty amongst children is far higher than amongst pensioners

If poor people exercised some self-control and responsibility and stopped having children that they're unable to provide adequately for, then all would be well.

Signed: an elderly git from a poor background who has "never had it as good".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,278 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

spook_cook wrote: »
    Given the abuse they get and the way they've been mistreated for generations, yet they've survived and have a thriving now and unique culture, I think we can all agree that Travellers are in fact Ireland's unsung heroes.

We should reward them by moving them to luxury homes Dublin 4 and plush suburbs of South Dublin. Where they’ll be surrounded by individuals who love them and support them the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

spook_cook wrote: »
    Lol. Poverty... I think OAPs might be able to educate the kids nowadays on what their own childhood was like. Remember if both the following apply, you're in "basic deprivation"!

- Unable to afford to have family or friends for a drink or meal once a month
    - Unable to afford a morning, afternoon or evening out in the last fortnight for entertainment.

It's not exactly Angela's Ashes out there.

Angelas Ashes in Limerick and the rare oul times in Dublin beloved of Rich Boy Barrett and Posh Boy Murphy and the great unwashed knew their place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I have to disagree with you there. For some children school is a safe place as home life may not be so good. The calls to childline and garda stations from children at home with abusive or addicted parents skyrocketed.
    I know that isn't the majority but its not to be discounted with the sweeping statement you made.

In my own situation my children had one parent working full time out of the house and one working full-time at home. They are only 7 and 8 and had no supervision while Mr Sam worked upstairs in the office.

So yes, children are to be commended with how they handled the Covid situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Samsgirl wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you there. For some children school is a safe place as home life may not be so good. The calls to childline and garda stations from children at home with abusive or addicted parents skyrocketed.
    I know that isn't the majority but its not to be discounted with the sweeping statement you made.

In my own situation my children had one parent working full time out of the house and one working full-time at home. They are only 7 and 8 and had no supervision while Mr Sam worked upstairs in the office.

So yes, children are to be commended with how they handled the Covid situation.

They dont have much option do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

They dont have much option do they?

CHILDLINE! That other great quango.
    Not long since the I.S.P.C.C. scandal when it's C.E.O. was abusing it's Street collectors for not getting bank details from punters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

In some cases. In some others, they are ripped off by delinquent tenants who are virtually impossible to evict.

I agree, some tenants are scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

ya right , about 3 grand profit on 120,000 outlay . 2.5% would hardly be classed as a ''tidy'' profit . Some years wouldn't even do that after non payment of rent , damage , wear and tear , management fees, tax , prsi and of course the fee to the tenancy board to protect the tenant when they act the bo..ocks.

Any way

I always said the lifeboat and crews are real unsung heros in this country . on standby 24/7 to put their own lives at risk to save others . I've seen then go to sea on days that would terrify you . Running down the road , down the Marina and full speed out the dock into the tempest

Lots of LL's don't bother with any of the above, hence my comment.

Advertisement