Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are Ireland's unsung heroes?

Options
  • 05-11-2020 2:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

Mine is Padraig Nally.
    He did society a favour and ridded us of vermin that otherwise would have robbed and terrorised other vulnerable people. Ward messed with the wrong person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Seeing as we go the Anti-Traveller post shoe-horned into the thread so early, there is no need for anyone else to do it.

Be civil with any contributions from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'd go with Tidy Towns volunteers, who put a huge personal effort into keeping our towns and villages looking nice, and cleaning up other people's mess for no personal reward.

Or maybe the likes of Limerick Suicide Watch, who are trained volunteers who patrol the city, looking to help unfortunate people thinking of taking their lives in the river. Many lives saved.

Or SARDA, the Search and Rescue Dog Association - again, all volunteers, who put an enormous effort into training their dogs to exceptionally high standards for very difficult search and rescue duties.

Plenty of positive unsung heroes about to choose from, this list is not exhaustive.

I'd have the Coast Guard and RNLI volunteers at the top of my list, but in fairness, I don't think they're unsung - I think everyone does recognise their virtually unmatched heroism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Dil Wickremasinghe who used to present Global Village on Newstalk. Has disappeared from the public eye a little in recent years, but she did brilliant work in highlighting the struggles faced by immigrants, minorities, the LGBTQ community etc in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Paddy Maine.

Played rugby for Ireland and the Lions, successful amateur boxer, lawyer, and in WW2 destroyed 47 enemy aircraft in a single (ground) action, so technically outscored the RAF's highest scoring ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

Drapers, Cobblers... Costermongers, to name a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My grandfather's dog , Jacko , killed nine rats one night after they overran his canary aviary.
    In saying that he was a JRT, so killing rats was no big deal to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

In fairness his post wasn't anti-traveller, it didn't even mention travellers. If anything it was anti-criminal which to me is no bad thing.

You couldn't be that naive.

My grandfather's dog , Jacko , killed nine rats one night after they overran his canary aviary.
    In saying that he was a JRT, so killing rats was no big deal to him.
    Junior... Rat... Terminator?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In fairness his post wasn't anti-traveller, it didn't even mention travellers. If anything it was anti-criminal which to me is no bad thing.

Mod:

PM the mod, don't derail the thread discussing mod actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Dil Wickremasinghe who used to present Global Village on Newstalk. Has disappeared from the public eye a little in recent years, but she did brilliant work in highlighting the struggles faced by immigrants, minorities, the LGBTQ community etc in Ireland.

Otherwise known as Dr Ebun Joseph these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Checks username .....

Checks post .....

eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

careers, I know they are looking after their own family but still they are saints in my eyes.

Mine is Padraig Nally.
    He did society a favour and ridded us of vermin that otherwise would have robbed and terrorised other vulnerable people. Ward messed with the wrong person.

I'm in complete agreement with you. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Yvonne in Hedgehog Rescue Dublin.
    She's doing amazing work taking in so many sick, injured little hogs, while still studying at college.
    She's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Choirs.

I just want to put it out there, to balance this thread a little - that I quite like the travellers, I've had about 3 or 4 experiences with travellers - and I guarantee you a settled person wouldn't have helped me out in the same way that the travellers did. There is bad and good in everyone folks - and I've only encountered the good in travellers - I don't doubt there is bad out there, but as I say - there is good and bad in everyone. I'll share ONE, this one was from my childhood - there were a good few more, but here's one...

I remember a couple of new travellers came to town, and they had quite a few children - one of whom was in our class, now... on the morning this new lad appeared, his old man arrived at the door of the classroom, a little worse for wear - but smiling from ear to ear, and walked into the room - and presented the teacher with a big box of sweets for the class, he wished us all well - and went on his way. He didn't HAVE to do that, but he did - the poor man probably just wanted to try and make things a little easier for his beloved child - because... let's be real - a large section of Irish society have nothing but contempt for travellers - and it genuinely sickens me no end. It's just something that always stuck with me - as I say, there was a few more that I won't go in to - I just wanted to take the opportunity here to add some balance to the tone of this thread.

Mine is Padraig Nally.

Yep, I remember even the Irish Times reporting on the story, reporting on his wife who was shouting and screaming obsenities outside the court room ... something like "Mrs _____ did her best to articulate her disagreements...."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

In that vain, I'd say that loads of Travellers are gas with their gift of the gab. I remember talking to one of the lads that was on one of the infamous call-out videoes (SIMEY!). He was coming out of the gym. I said hello to him and went ''ah good man Simon, back training?''. ''Doing a bit alright sir, I likes doing the boxing bag cos the boxing bag won't box ya back.''

Jedward

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Unsung heroes? Nurses, doctors, cleaners, bin men and bin women, shop keepers, fruit pickers, shelf stackers etc. But it's a bit of a stretch to call them "heroes". Well maybe doctors and nurses.
    Any influencer, celeb, singer, actor, professional athletes etc are not heroes. Never were and never should be. If they didn't exist tomorrow, the world would still turn. Not the case with doctors, nurses, bin men, fruit pickers, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think general society has almost canonised doctors and nurses. Wouldn't say they're unsung at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I used to listen to global village...got bored of her though. She’d absolutely shout down as opposed to listening to and engaging with those who had differing views to her own.... even people with similar views but a different road map to achieving them... she’d be talking over them, getting scorpy and personal, an arrogant individual...she asked at one point a guest on her show to explain how not being an lgbt person they felt qualified to make the points they were making about a particular subject ..,the interviewee.. “ your producer called me up, invited me on the show, ask him.... SILENCE !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Celebrity lawyer Gerald Kean is one of Ireland's unsung heroes if you ask me. He came from relatively humble beginnings, starting on a salary of only £7000 per year, but eventually became fabulously wealthy.

You don't see him in the spotlight as much anymore, but he used to have a lavish lifestyle and a very glamorous relationship with Lisa Murphy. Extremely charitable guy, often raising tens of thousands with his charity dinner evenings. Just seems like a top guy and don't think he's ever got the recognition he deserves.

While not unsung, Sir Bob Geldof is another of Ireland's real gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Theres a couple of neighbours down the road from me - paint over grafitti, sweep up the roads, hedges & edges, cut the couple
    of acres grass - have been doing it for tears - a totally thankless task and the same scummy neighbours that toss their children out to wreck the place take them all for granted and that they will clean up after their kids and their scumbag behaviour year after year - which they do. Total unsung hereos. Working away quietly keeping an area good while knackers wreck the place. It is these people who are local heros - its on a different scale of personal responsibility and casual ongoing commitment and hard unrelenting unpaid work and sacrifice in all weathers.

Also people who are so abandoned by the resources the state does not give have no option but to become carers. They give up their lives and ambitions and personal dreams l for their lived one often to the cost of their future, own health, relationships , careers and to
    their own long term personal financial ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd say those priests who have worked tirelessly for their communities and have had to carry the burden that those many bad apples in the priesthood have earned for them over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Cleaners.

Celebrity lawyer Gerald Kean is one of Ireland's unsung heroes if you ask me. He came from relatively humble beginnings, starting on a salary of only £7000 per year, but eventually became fabulously wealthy.

You don't see him in the spotlight as much anymore, but he used to have a lavish lifestyle and a very glamorous relationship with Lisa Murphy. Extremely charitable guy, often raising tens of thousands with his charity dinner evenings. Just seems like a top guy and don't think he's ever got the recognition he deserves.

While not unsung, Sir Bob Geldof is another of Ireland's real gems.

In next Sunday's edition of Life magazine, a double feature on the hidden charity of Johnny Ronan.

Your D4 dilettante,

Barry Egan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I just want to put it out there, to balance this thread a little - that I quite like the travellers, I've had about 3 or 4 experiences with travellers - and I guarantee you a settled person wouldn't have helped me out in the same way that the travellers did. There is bad and good in everyone folks - and I've only encountered the good in travellers - I don't doubt there is bad out there, but as I say - there is good and bad in everyone. I'll share ONE, this one was from my childhood - there were a good few more, but here's one...

I remember a couple of new travellers came to town, and they had quite a few children - one of whom was in our class, now... on the morning this new lad appeared, his old man arrived at the door of the classroom, a little worse for wear - but smiling from ear to ear, and walked into the room - and presented the teacher with a big box of sweets for the class, he wished us all well - and went on his way. He didn't HAVE to do that, but he did - the poor man probably just wanted to try and make things a little easier for his beloved child - because... let's be real - a large section of Irish society have nothing but contempt for travellers - and it genuinely sickens me no end. It's just something that always stuck with me - as I say, there was a few more that I won't go in to - I just wanted to take the opportunity here to add some balance to the tone of this thread.

Appreciate your sentiment but It goes both ways.

For me, cleaners. Utterly thankless job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭CharlesMartel

Mine is Padraig Nally.

In all fairness, his praises have been sung far and wide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭CharlesMartel

The real heroes are those that managed to listen to her shows without destroying the radio

Advertisement