Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

coastwatch wrote: »
    Some good news.
    Sage ( UK's Nphet) are recommending people should avoid playing board games over christmas.
    Nphet wont want to be out done by Sage, so we'll have a ban on board games, cards and charades.
    Fine with me.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55107473

Is Defrost Grandad a board game?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

eagle eye wrote: »
    We are there because of a lockdown. You could already see bunches of people out and about today after all the leaks to the media and it's not supposed to change until Tuesday.

Out and about ? I was out shopping , in the chemist and we went for a walk in the park
    Nothing wrong with any of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 55,170 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't people be out and about?

I was out yesterday.

I went to and from work. To and from the supermarket.

I went out for a jog.

You seem to be stuck in some time warp.

March is gone, let it go.

Yes, this L5 is not near the eerie type feel that March-April's was

Many people have simply got on with their lives these past couple months. The wearing of masks is like: "Ok, I am sorted here. Doing my bit."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1332495702463819776

It's really just unbelieable isn't it? Sometimes I'm just stunned by the sheer scale of the deaths in the US

Not really tbh. They are 11th worldwide deaths per million so not the worst by a distance.

Belgium though, what a mess that is.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

And that is exactly when government should have realised that Covid is not the deadly disease it was made out to be (for most people) and acted accordingly.
    People are in and out of supermarkets quickly, and they are usually high-roofed buildings with lots of room for air to circulate. You haven't been keeping up with the science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Not really tbh. They are 11th worldwide deaths per million so not the worst by a distance.

Belgium though, what a mess that is.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/
    Deaths, while tragic, are not main story, that is where countries have shown massive failings in managing the disease and their systems have come near collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭gipi

There's been a lot of talk here and elsewhere about the benefits of Vitamin D as an aid to boosting the immune system, which in turn may help the body fight the coronavirus. Someone had commented that the booklet recently circulated by the Government on keeping well in Winter didn't actually mention taking Vit D as a good idea!

I read today that the UK government are being a bit more proactive about Vitamin D, and will provide free supplements to vulnerable people, starting in January.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18905878.vulnerable-groups-offered-free-vitamin-d-deliveries/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,972 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

gipi wrote:
    There's been a lot of talk here and elsewhere about the benefits of Vitamin D as an aid to boosting the immune system, which in turn may help the body fight the coronavirus. Someone had commented that the booklet recently circulated by the Government on keeping well in Winter didn't actually mention taking Vit D as a good idea!
    Yes, I've been taking it since the end of February. It's a good comfort to know you are less likely to become seriously ill with the virus should you contract it. I take 2000 iu per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

What are exactly the "with extra restrictions" referring to in relation to the pubs/restaurants? Not the food cooked on-site nonsense, that's already there - speaking of which, have they explained this particular rule, that makes behaviours different if an on-site chef cooks you up a plate of food as opposed to a chef next door?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Some good news.
    Sage ( UK's Nphet) are recommending people should avoid playing board games over christmas.
    Nphet wont want to be out done by Sage, so we'll have a ban on board games, cards and charades.
    Fine with me.

I would say Nphet and George Lee will make a concerted attempt to raise our ‘worry’ levels for their models which show we’re not worried enough, especially after the Toy Show last night.
    Cillian DeGascun tried his best tweeting the Toy Show hashtag to remind us that Roald Dahl lost someone to measles in the 60s, alas no one seemed to care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They are actually serious about wearing a facemask when making your dinner :pac:

Face masks while cooking and no hugs: Here's the advice on how to plan Christmas Day this year https://jrnl.ie/5281013

These medical extremists have had far too much say in the public discourse over recent decades. They are the greatest threat we have to social cohesion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭prunudo

All this chef/no chef, kitchen/no kitchen is just muddying the water. It doesn't matter where the food is cooked, the virus spreads from person to person.
    Why can't they simply say your floor space is x amount of sq metres therefore you are allowed y number of customers in depending in what level we are currently in. Its easy to police and easy to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

They are actually serious about wearing a facemask when making your dinner :pac:

Face masks while cooking and no hugs: Here's the advice on how to plan Christmas Day this year https://jrnl.ie/5281013

These medical extremists have had far too much say in the public discourse over recent decades. They are the greatest threat we have to social cohesion.
    I think people should put perspex shields on the dining table and take temperature checks on visitors coming into your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Some good news.
    Fine with me.

Do they have any advice on what we should have for breakfast on Christmas morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

You understand you don’t have to, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Do they have any advice on what we should have for breakfast on Christmas morning?

No but bring your own plates and cutlery with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The reality is this so called pandemic/virus kills less then 1 in a million people that are healthy...Over 150,000 people die worldwide every day of the week all year every year...unhealthy food kills more people every year than any virus...if they really care about people health why dont they ban all fast food and alcohol...it does far more damage than any virus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The reality is this so called pandemic/virus kills less then 1 in a million people that are healthy...Over 150,000 people die worldwide every day of the week all year every year...unhealthy food kills more people every year than any virus...if they really care about people health why dont they ban all fast food and alcohol...it does far more damage than any virus

You can eat something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

why on earth would you discount people with underlying illness in your assessment of how deadly this virus is? do they not count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

froog wrote: »
    why on earth would you discount people with underlying illness in your assessment of how deadly this virus is? do they not count?

Deadly to some , not even an issue for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,566 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Regardless of your view on the severity or outcomes, neither the pandemic nor the virus are "so called". It is a pandemic and a virus.

Fortunately I can decide whether to eat healthy food or not and as to what my alcohol consumption will be. I don't appear to have much of a choice as regarding contracting a virus though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

prunudo wrote: »
    All this chef/no chef, kitchen/no kitchen is just muddying the water. It doesn't matter where the food is cooked, the virus spreads from person to person.
    Why can't they simply say your floor space is x amount of sq metres therefore you are allowed y number of customers in depending in what level we are currently in. Its easy to police and easy to implement.

When will people realise that it's the optics, an in house kitchen provides a useful selection criteria to limit the numbers that are open, the underlying real issue is keeping the total number of wet pubs down to a minimum, as they are a potential problem for the spread of Covid.

NPHET didn't want ANY hospitality open until Mid January, the Government have decided to take a risk on opening some hospitality despite the danger of numbers being adversely affected, but they have decided to put limits on how many can open by using selection criteria that allow that to happen.

I am sure there are some wet pubs that are well run, and equally, there are some that don't actually care about the restrictions they are meant to operate under, and they demonstrated that during the summer, when all manner of creative wriggles were used to circumvent the closures, and the result was a higher level of lock down in recent weeks to get the numbers down again. One local pub caused a massive spike in cases, until they had to close because they had no staff fit to work.

There are also all sorts of issues around liability if something goes wrong, and given the creativity of some of the schemes, I'm amazed that there were not more problems during the summer.

Plenty of people in this thread and the "wet pub" thread have made it very clear that they're not interested in restricting or limiting their visits to multiple pubs, despite the rules and risks, so the decision has been made for them in some ways, there are now not going to be the same number of places open over Christmas.

Until the vaccines that are coming are out there and working safely, which remains to be proven, the only other option is for all of us, of all ages, to limit social contacts, it is unfortunately that simple and black and white.

We need as much as possible of the economy to be working to the best of its ability, which will mean a certain underlying level of Covid as an ongoing problem for some time to come, and if choices have to be made, things like pubs (and live music shows, and so many other events) are the casualties of keeping the rest of the show on the road, as they can be deemed as non essential in comparison to so many other parts of the economy.

I am involved with a group that does living history displays, and we've done nothing this year, because of the limits on gatherings indoors and outdoors, which has been hard, financially and mentally, but it wasn't an essential activity like producing food, or so many of the other things that keep life as we like it.

Hopefully, we will be able to get back to some sort of normal next year, and start doing the shows and events that we enjoy, and we'll also be able to sit down and enjoy a meal, chat and drinks at the end of a long day, which is also part of the whole scene.

Until then, while it might look absurd to some, we have to live with some significant limits on every day life in order to allow as much as possible to continue to operate. The alternatives don't bear thinking about too much, Covid out of control is one extreme, and the other is a fundamental collapse of the economy, and we don't need either of those options, and so far, while we might not like it, we seem to be managing to find a middle road between those extremes.

For sure there will be some big bills to be paid at the end of all of this, and the exact how that is done may not be pretty, but the one good thing (if there are any good things) to come out of Covid is that all countries are in the same loop, so hopefully there will be a different attitude to sorting out the consequences.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Hooter23

froog wrote: »

Sadly most of the people with underlying illness are so ill that they would die even if it was just the flu...so if the death rate is less than 1 in a million for healthy people we might not even have 1 reported death of a healthy person in the whole of ireland...

Why do they not report this information why do they not give us the real fact that this virus is so mild most people that get it dont even realise they have it...Why do they just keep counting the number of cases...it means nothing its like counting the number of people with the flu...since this virus is not much worse than that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The shops are packed in Galway today.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The shops are packed in Galway today.
    Most are not open til Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Sadly most of the people with underlying illness are so ill that they would die even if it was just the flu.

Yeah?
    Sure about that?
    Have you a percentage if you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭jackboy

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

I see some shops have opened today rather than wait till Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

So many shops are open during Level 5 and Black Friday is on. B&Q, Wooodies (Xmas stuff), Halfords, Harry Corry, Boots, Easons, Harvey Norman, Currys, Homestore and More etc. Very busy. Click and Collect at Smyths & Elverys busy. Harvey Norman and Currys had massive queues. The usual Dunnes/Tesco/Aldi also very busy. Big queues at coffee shops. Car parks full.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

so by your account my 48 year old husband with type 1 diabetes which he has had since he was a child, his life does not matter, he could easily live till 80 as his mother did who also had type 1 diabetes.
    If he contracts covid and dies, sure he had an underlying condition, so his life does not count or matter.
    Don't think you realise what % of people in Ireland have some condition that puts them at risk if they get covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

mightyreds wrote: »
    Those stupid people have us at the second lowest incidence rate in Europe.
    This stat will be meaningless soon enough.
    The piper will eventually have to be paid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement