Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭lukas8888

The shops are packed in Galway today.

Any every time posters continue to tell us the same thing,shops are packed,streets are heaving,car parks are full,do they not realise that they are part of it all.But of course the posters trips are absolutely essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,972 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

lukas8888 wrote:
    Any every time posters continue to tell us the same thing,shops are packed,streets are heaving,car parks are full,do they not realise that they are part of it all.But of course the posters trips are absolutely essential.

You can see this in Galway just by driving by you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭lukas8888

eagle eye wrote: »

I know There is absolutely no chance that you are adding to the packed shop numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

lukas8888 wrote: »
    I know There is absolutely no chance that you are adding to the packed shop numbers.

He can see all these things with his eagle eyes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Sso if the death rate is less than 1 in a million for healthy people we might not even have 1 reported death of a healthy person in the whole of ireland...
    How are you defining these "healthy" people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So many shops are open during Level 5 and Black Friday is on. B&Q, Wooodies (Xmas stuff), Halfords, Harry Corry, Boots, Easons, Harvey Norman, Currys, Homestore and More etc. Very busy. Click and Collect at Smyths & Elverys busy. Harvey Norman and Currys had massive queues. The usual Dunnes/Tesco/Aldi also very busy. Big queues at coffee shops. Car parks full.

Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Good to hear.

Join in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

My sister was driving past Dunnes on her way home from work and said the same. I guess it's as they have a queueing system in place. Once it's done orderly I can't see any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

353 positive swabs from 11217 tests, 3.1% positivity.
    7 day rate of 2.7%

blade1 wrote:
    He can see all these things with his eagle eyes!
    Ha, nice one. :D

It's really easy to see all in Galway, a lot of the parking is at the front of the shops. You've got Curry's, Harvey Norman, Smyth's toys, McDonald's and a bunch of others on one side of the road and then right across the other side there's another shopping centre with Tesco, Supermacs and lots of other shops and most of the parking is in front in those two shopping centres.
    Then not too far from there is the Westside and again a lot of the parking is in front.
    I don't live there but know it very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The shops are packed in Galway today.

My sister said she has just come from town and its depressingly quiet :confused:

h2005 wrote:
    My sister was driving past Dunnes on her way home from work and said the same. I guess it's as they have a queueing system in place. Once it's done orderly I can't see any problems.
    Yeah, need to control the numbers in the shops. So long as they do that things should be ok. I can't see that happening in the retail shops though. It's just going to get out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

7 day rate of 2.7%
    Slight rise which is somewhat disappointing. How does it compare with the last few Saturdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Yeah, need to control the numbers in the shops. So long as they do that things should be ok. I can't see that happening in the retail shops though. It's just going to get out of hand.

Maybe people should be made eat a substantial sandwich while they shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

7 day rate of 2.7%

Not good, R rate must be close to 1 atm. Pubs 0.3, hospitality 0.2 Other gatherings etc 0.2. We are looking at an R rate of 1.5-1.7 in the next few weeks. This is probably an optimistic projection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

7 day rate of 2.7%

Not great

Could be close to 400 cases today I fear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

*Check in to have a peep.
    Sees pro-lockdown lunatics are still at large.
    Checks out as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭jackboy

Most of the scientists in Ireland are now clear that we are heading for a mess. We are opening up with much higher numbers than in the summer. The lockdown needed after may end up being much longer and stricter than the one we have just come out of.

There is pretty much consensus also that it will be at least six months before vaccines will make a significant impact towards reducing the need for restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

For sure there will be some big bills to be paid at the end of all of this, and the exact how that is done may not be pretty, but the one good thing (if there are any good things) to come out of Covid is that all countries are in the same loop, so hopefully there will be a different attitude to sorting out the consequences.

The irony of course is that the people at risk won’t be repaying the bill, which is about €3 million per hour since March and counting.

The ones paying the bill will be the youngsters sitting at home for the next few years forbidden from having social contact and having serious limitations imposed on their social development

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Drove by the Nutgrove shopping centre on the way back from work earlier. Huge queues to get in to the car parks so I'm guessing they've opened the shops early. I'm thinking 500 cases per day by mid December with over 2000 a day by the turn of the year if people continue on like this countrywide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Drove by the Nutgrove shopping centre on the way back from work earlier. Huge queues to get in to the car parks so I'm guessing they've opened the shops early. I'm thinking 500 cases per day by mid December with over 2000 a day by the turn of the year if people continue on like this countrywide
    so NPHETs modelling is wrong? They're predicting 500 cases per day by January 1st earliest

My sister said she has just come from town and its depressingly quiet :confused:

That's good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

wadacrack wrote: »
    Not good, R rate must be close to 1 atm. Pubs 0.3, hospitality 0.2 Other gatherings etc 0.2. We are looking at an R rate of 1.5-1.7 in the next few weeks. This is probably an optimistic projection
    One day is not a trend.

Was in and out of Dublin today - pretty deserted and little to no traffic.

so NPHETs modelling is wrong? They're predicting 500 cases per day by January 1st earliest

I hope they are right. Of course they are the experts and I'm just another gob****e on an opinion forum but I don't like what I'm seeing out and about. Xmas rush will be like throwing petrol on the fire imo and it's a huge mistake thinking otherwise

jackboy wrote: »
    Most of the scientists in Ireland are now clear that we are heading for a mess. We are opening up with much higher numbers than in the summer. The lockdown needed after may end up being much longer and stricter than the one we have just come out of.

There is pretty much consensus also that it will be at least six months before vaccines will make a significant impact towards reducing the need for restrictions.
    Many scientists are convinced their own voices sound best of all and have recently added honorary degrees in spoofology to their long list of letters. Even NPHET is way off at times and they have the data. If it comes it won't be long as there will be even less compliance with it plus there will be some vaccines in the Spring.

NPHET work off numbers, not off predicting people's behaviour. They have no idea what people are going to do over the next couple of weeks.
    I think it won't be good. I think we'll be close to where we were in mid October by Christmas.
    And yet they keep telling us people "were ahead of them". Consistent behaviour like that can be assigned a value, after all we know that negative behaviours do have assigned values.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    That's good to hear.

Some people are only content in the misery of others. For shame. Then I notice the join date on boards and realise their opinion is not worth a damn investing in.

is_that_so wrote:
    And yet they keep telling us people "were ahead of them". Consistent behaviour like that can be assigned a value, after all we know that negative behaviours do have assigned values.
    They have no history to go on as regards Christmas shopping.
    They'll be in position to properly evaluate it in about two weeks time.

• Advertisement

They have no history to go on as regards Christmas shopping.
    They'll be in position to properly evaluate it in about two weeks time.
    There's plenty of data on it from retailers and it can be modelled. One major criticism of epidemiological modelling is that they do not take population responses into account properly, it's all about what the pathogen will do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement