Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Great news about nasal spray preventing infection in ferrets. Hopefully they can ramp up human trials.

In the meantime, it does seem important that we avoid places with low temperatures and low relative humidity during the winter period and particularly if you're not wearing a mask. If your nose or throat dries out, you become more susceptible to infection. Seems like best thing to do if indoors, is to try maintain moderate humidity i.e. 40 to 50 percent.

Saw that , you posted it yesterday , very good article .
    So no overhead heaters outside then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

niallo27 wrote: »
    So let me get this straight you all want to stay in level 5 until next June if it means saving just 1 life.

No.

Bizarre comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Russman wrote: »
    Can you point out where anyone suggested that ? Thanks.
    What is an acceptable level of death? 1 million people die worldwide every 6 and a half days. What are we actually aiming for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Russman

That's got nothing to do with any restrictions. It's because our so called experts let it run rampant in Nursing homes.
    Their policies and recommendations actually added to the death toll.

Fair point, but it’s the world over, thousands are dying from this. It’s probably the biggest event in terms of impact in any of our lives. I’m all ears if someone can explain why we in Ireland won’t have a disaster if we open up too soon. I just think it’s better to err on the side of caution. It’s sh1t for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

What is an acceptable level of death? 1 million people die worldwide every 6 and a half days. What are we actually aiming for?

we're aiming to save a few thousand lives until we get a vaccine next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,009 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arghus wrote: »
    No.

Bizarre comment.

So what's an acceptable amount of people to die for you.

I think we’re trying to prevent needless deaths brought about by a new virus, along with maintaining a functioning health service. Of course, there’s no text book definition of what number of deaths that means.

froog wrote: »
    we're aiming to save a few thousand lives until we get a vaccine next year.
    People are going to die with or without COVID. We'll likely have the exact same amount of deaths as any given year, let's be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

What's the acceptable number of your family to die?

Fair point, but it’s the world over, thousands are dying from this. It’s probably the biggest event in terms of impact in any of our lives. I’m all ears if someone can explain why we in Ireland won’t have a disaster if we open up too soon. I just think it’s better to err on the side of caution. It’s sh1t for everyone.

There is opening up and there is staying in level 5 until June as the poster that started this present discussion wanted.

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    Chances of anybody on here's family members dying of COVID is ridiculously slim. That's just pure and utter scaremongering.

Chances of anybody on here's family members dying of COVID is ridiculously slim. That's just scaremongering.

Say that to those that have lost family here.

Say that to those that have lost family here.
    That's an utterly bizarre argument.

People are going to die with or without COVID. We'll likely have the exact same amount of deaths as any given year, let's be honest.

Even if that turns out to be true, how much is due to our two lockdowns saving lives that might otherwise not have been saved, whether from covid or not. Surely we can’t make an argument that 2,000 people died from/with Covid but the same number of people died overall as last year so it’s ok, can we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Fair point, but it’s the world over, thousands are dying from this.

No, we have the second highest rate of nursing home deaths in the whole world.

NPHET got it badly wrong,
    A) allowing visitors right up until the first lockdown
    B) then sending thousands of sick untested patients out of hospitals and into nursing homes in order to free up bed space.

Their policies caused the spread and deaths in nursing homes yet they have never admitted any mistakes, much les apologies for them.

Your getting personal, you can't think rationally when your thinking personally. I would want everyone locked in their houses for the next year, everyone out of work, nobody to visit anyone if it meant saving someone in my family. Now do you think that is rationale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If we kept pubs closed we would safe thousands of alcohol releated deaths, further lockdowns would save hundreds of flu deaths, that's just two.

Would you stop digging and read what you're posting ffs! It's just becoming absurd at this stage. Nobody wants restrictions, nobody enjoys putting their life on hold or suffering financially but sometimes, just sometimes, maybe even just once in our lifetimes we have to do or suffer something. It's more than a few lives. It has been quite a number of lives but, get into your head, it could be an awful lot more deaths if we didn't act.

Even if that turns out to be true, how much is due to our two lockdowns saving lives that might otherwise not have been saved, whether from covid or not. Surely we can’t make an argument that 2,000 people died from/with Covid but the same number of people died overall as last year so it’s ok, can we ?
    Our first lockdown shut down our health system and is likely going to result in deaths, so it goes both ways really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Saw that , you posted it yesterday , very good article .
    So no overhead heaters outside then ?

Sorry that wasn't me, was another poster. In terms of heaters, from doing a bit of reading it would seem
    heaters that use Infrared radiant heat are best bet. Overhead heaters that move and dry the surrounding air are more risky and not great for environment either.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Would you stop digging and read what you're posting ffs! It's just becoming absurd at this stage. Nobody wants restrictions, nobody enjoys putting their life on hold or suffering financially but sometimes, just sometimes, maybe even just once in our lifetimes we have to do or suffer something. It's more than a few lives. It has been quite a number of lives but, get into your head, it could be an awful lot more deaths if we didn't act.

Your coming late into the discussion, the original poster wanted level 5 until next June. Do you think this is logical.

• Advertisement

Your getting personal, you can't think rationally when your thinking personally. I would want everyone locked in their houses for the next year, everyone out of work, nobody to visit anyone if it meant saving someone in my family. Now do you think that is rationale.

You got personal with the other poster wanting to know if they lost their job etc.

If expect others to just take it and and let family die then you should be be prepared to do the same.

You got personal with the other poster wanting to know if they lost their job etc.

If expect others to just take it and and let family die then you should be be prepared to do the same.
    Who is letting family die? What are you actually on about?
    You know people die like it's a thing? I've had family members die this year, not from COVID, is that just to be ignored? Pretend they don't die?

it's clear you and others here give zero f*cks for the older people in this country.

also seems like you still don't get it as regards our hospital capacity. we let covid run unchecked and lots of more people die of non covid illness.

Yes but its not rationale. I would not expect to shut down the country to save a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That's an impossible question to answer.

The real aim is to prevent the hospital system from becoming overwhelmed. Which would result in a good deal more than one death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

That's an utterly bizarre argument.

It is bizarre to think it can't happen to your circle when it is more or less random, higher odds for those who don't care and of course it is dynamic and the odds rise with rising cases.

froog wrote: »
    it's clear you and others here give zero f*cks for the older people in this country.

also seems like you still don't get it as regards our hospital capacity. we let covid run unchecked and lots of more people die of non covid illness.
    'you and others', come down off your high horse man. Acting like someone who's king of the hill. What a disgusting comment.

Your coming late into the discussion, the original poster wanted level 5 until next June. Do you think this is logical.

no i didn't. i said we probably would have level 5 until june cause there's a lot of selfish pricks in this country unwilling to follow the guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

Yes but its not rationale. I would not expect to shut down the country to save a family member.

You have a real way with words, i will give you that. Quite obvious what you are up to and i am sure you tire your opponents out.

Like a ninja

• Advertisement

There is opening up and there is staying in level 5 until June as the poster that started this present discussion wanted.

Ohh I totally agree we’re unlikely to stay in 5 for that long, unless something truly epic goes wrong. Ultimately people’s behaviour will drive it though. If Dublin ever got to the point where we’re like, say New York was back in the spring, we might have to. Hopefully it’ll never happen obviously. Personally I think we’ll have one more L5 in spring and by then hopefully we’ll have 3 or more vaccines on the go and we’ll be vaccinating 200k+ people per month and can start getting somewhat back to normal by the summer ish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement