Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

hmmm wrote: »
    I wish we had more consistency in policing restrictions from the Guards in difficult situations, and less checkpoints pulling in families on the N11 heading to the beach. "Policing by consent" is all very well, but that shouldn't be confused with passiveness.

In saying that rant, I'm torn about the street drinking. You'd prefer it not to happen, but if it did you'd prefer it to be outside and not inside. We lost a trick I think by not creating outdoor areas which could be controlled - apparently our climate makes this impossible, despite the obvious evidence of hundreds of people standing out in a street when they get a chance.

Important to mention they are standing outside as they are desperate for some normality, company etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

So why are the measures taken to prevent these outbreaks - PPE, hand sanitising - not working?

Aerosol transmission and nothing is perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well if your not willing to discuss your working status then I can presume your still in full employment with full pay, so its very easy to preach and tell people to stay at home and sure don't worry about your job, here is 350 quid that should cover your mortgage and pay for your family needs you greedy bollox, just watch Netflix.

once again, it's about saving lives. these restrictions stop people dying. that doesn't seem to register at all with some people which is baffling and worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

froog wrote: »
    once again, it's about saving lives. these restrictions stop people dying. that doesn't seem to register at all with some people which is baffling and worrying.

We have to accept some people will die, its a pandemic. When the vaccine comes in, do you think we should keep the restrictions, we would save thousands of lives from other diseases and viruses or are you only worried about covid deaths.

We have to accept some people will die, its a pandemic. When the vaccine comes in, do you think we should keep the restrictions, we would save thousands of lives from other diseases and viruses or are you only worried about covid deaths.

Or more validly imo we have to accept that some businesses will die. I know which unfortunate trade off I prefer as dead or disabled people can't brush themselves off and start again.

• Advertisement

nofools wrote: »
    Or more validly imo we have to accept that some businesses will die. I know which unfortunate trade off I prefer as dead or disabled people can't brush themselves off and start again.

As long as its not your business though.

oh right you're back to the flu is worse than covid again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

hmmm wrote: »
    I wish we had more consistency in policing restrictions from the Guards in difficult situations, and less checkpoints pulling in families on the N11 heading to the beach. "Policing by consent" is all very well, but that shouldn't be confused with passiveness.

In saying that rant, I'm torn about the street drinking. You'd prefer it not to happen, but if it did you'd prefer it to be outside and not inside. We lost a trick I think by not creating outdoor areas which could be controlled - apparently our climate makes this impossible, despite the obvious evidence of hundreds of people standing out in a street when they get a chance.

Yes , many drink and dine outside in colder climates , it's the bloody rain that does for us here , but am sure something could and should have been organised by now . If businesses had known from May or June that this winter would be a complete shambles unless everyone could eat outside then maybe they could have built covered spaces that were well ventilated . Councils should have got on board since the summer , with many not even allowing restaurants put tables outside , except Cork notably .
    Thing about outside is it can still be transmitted in cold dank weather if in uncontrolled situations , like those we were discussing .
    Let businesses open in December, give funds for pergolas and awnings and overhead twinkly lights and everybody wear some knitted Longjohns and woolly jumpers, or just under armour even , with social distancing, and it might not be so bad after all ;)

I already took a financial hit myself actually, not that it is relevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

You'll never change some peoples sense of entitlement and selfishness. This pandemic has reared the ugly side of human nature not just here but in a lot of countries.

• Advertisement

bizarre attitude to value jobs more than lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Peoples lives > any business

This shouldn’t be difficult for any rational person

oh right you're back to the flu is worse than covid again. :rolleyes:

Who mentioned the flu, answer the question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Peoples lives > any business

This shouldn’t be difficult for any rational person

Key being ‘rational’

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

Nearly two thousand people have already died, even with our level of restrictions.
    What’s an acceptable level that society will accept ? I know obviously it can’t be quantified but that’s basically the dilemma for government. It has no good choices no matter what it does.
    How many people will Joe be ok with dying so he can pay his mortgage ?
    How many jobs lost will Jim accept as long as his granny is safe ?
    What do we do if we end up like Belgium and non covid patients are dying because all the spaces are take up with covid victims ?
    Wouldn’t like to be a minister trying to find a balance tbh. Especially when every lobby group under the sun is explaining why their industry is perfectly safe and should be open.

Russman wrote: »
    Nearly two thousand people have already died, even with our level of restrictions.
    What’s an acceptable level that society will accept ? I know obviously it can’t be quantified but that’s basically the dilemma for government. It has no good choices no matter what it does.
    How many people will Joe be ok with dying so he can pay his mortgage ?
    How many jobs lost will Jim accept as long as his granny is safe ?
    What do we do if we end up like Belgium and non covid patients are dying because all the spaces are take up with covid victims ?

Yes exactly, to the OPEN UP crowd, what is your acceptable number of deaths? Or do you care?

There is a trade off

Who mentioned the flu, answer the question though.

why the hell would i want lockdowns after covid is sorted with a vaccine?? what other viruses are you worried about in particular?

So let me get this straight you all want to stay in level 5 until next June if it means saving just 1 life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

So let me get this straight you all want to stay in level 5 until next June if it means saving just 1 life.

Can you point out where anyone suggested that ? Thanks.

why the hell would i want lockdowns after covid is sorted with a vaccine?? what other viruses are you worried about in particular?

If we kept pubs closed we would safe thousands of alcohol releated deaths, further lockdowns would save hundreds of flu deaths, that's just two.

• Advertisement

but it's not just 1 life though. it's likely a few thousand.

what a stupid argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nobody has said that, but yes you know that... being disingenuous is becoming a habit now with you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Great news about nasal spray preventing infection in ferrets. Hopefully they can ramp up human trials.

In the meantime, it does seem important that we avoid places with low temperatures and low relative humidity during the winter period and particularly if you're not wearing a mask. If your nose or throat dries out, you become more susceptible to infection. Seems like best thing to do if indoors, is to try maintain moderate humidity i.e. 40 to 50 percent.

ETA: Important to avoid high humidity also as it can make virus more viable, hence why it can spread effectively in hot but tropical climates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

lemonTrees wrote: »
    You'll never change some peoples sense of entitlement and selfishness. This pandemic has reared the ugly side of human nature not just here but in a lot of countries.

Some right ones like abandoning nursing homes and leaving the residents to die not only from covid but also dehydration. Glad a few in here are not working in homes.

If we kept pubs closed we would safe thousands of alcohol releated deaths, further lockdowns would save hundreds of flu deaths, that's just two.

ah stop will ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

As I've said its a case by case basis, for the 2 you know that got a break I've a family member that didn't when they lost their job due to 2nd lockdown, know others in the same boat as well.

So there isn't the automatic safety net there that was there previously when you got a break no questions asked

That is bad alright , sorry to hear .
    Heard Mary Lou on about that and rent freezes prior to this lockdown , and thought it was a done deal along with renewal of PUP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Russman wrote: »

That's got nothing to do with any restrictions. It's because our so called experts let it run rampant in Nursing homes.
    Their policies and recommendations actually added to the death toll.

but it's not just 1 life though. it's likely a few thousand.

what a stupid argument.

To stay in level 5 restrictions for 8 more months, it would not mean thousands of lives. You said you want level 5 for 8 more months.

ah stop will ya.

Ah your a spoofer, won't answer any question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Parts of the US are in a scary position, and more will join them soon. We're about to see the consequences of a laissez faire approach to Covid.

https://twitter.com/JimChandler1075/status/1328074580502704129

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement