Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating American names for things

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Sorry, what experience do you have to say what US employers look at, and what degrees here are accepted in the US?

Community colleges offer what we would call trade school certificates, diploma's, degrees, and a pathway into University (usually State) much like our QQI-FET route to Uni.
    You seem to be a bit of a twat

Maybe give it a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Sorry, what experience do you have to say what US employers look at, and what degrees here are accepted in the US?

Like most irish people...quite a bit actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Like most irish people...quite a bit actually.

Like most Irish people...? You're going to have to spell that one out. You're talking a nonsense.

Like most Irish people...? You're going to have to spell that one out. You're talking a nonsense.
    Really

Erm immigrant nation?? ring a bell?

Like many many irish people i have had employers from america have a goo at my c.v. And i didn't have an agency give me advice.

I have a normal B.A ...also another qualification that wouldn't be called a degree here but would be an associates degree in the states.

I was told it wouldn't be considered the same as a four year degree though by most employers.

Really

Erm immigrant nation?? ring a bell?

So most Irish people are immigrants to America, and so are you? Right... so that's the direct experience you have that leads to speaking as if you know about what American's do or don't do as regards to degrees?

• Advertisement

So most Irish people are immigrants to America, and so are you? Right... so that's the direct experience you have that leads to speaking as if you know about what American's do or don't do as regards to degrees?
    read the rest of my post.

Its no secret many irish people have spent time working the states.

You would have to live under a rock to not know this. Many of us have worked there or have family who did.

There are american agencies who help irish people get documents together and even c.vs etc.

You seem to be taking this conversation overly seriously.

Have you done one of these 2 year 'degrees'

They are not considered degrees here.

Its no secret many irish people have spent time working the states.

You would have to live under a rock to not know this. Many of us have worked there or have family who did.

There are american agencies who help irish people get documents together and even c.vs etc.

You're ridiculous now. I quoted the entire post you made, before you edited it, which is what I responded to. So if you have to be disingenuous and say "read the rest of my post" when you know that you edited it, then you don't have a point.

You said most Irish people, because we're a nation of Immigrants and that should ring a bell. Ridiculous statement to make.

You said most Irish people, because we're a nation of Immigrants and that should ring a bell. Ridiculous statement to make.
    That is a ridiculous statement to make ?????
    Its a true statement ...im baffled. Are you not Irish then?
    :confused:

Many Irish people have worked in the States ...that should not be news to you.
    You're ridiculous now. I quoted the entire post you made, before you edited it, which is what I responded to. So if you have to be disingenuous and say "read the rest of my post" when you know that you edited it, then you don't have a point.

Yes ...erm i edited it ..then asked you to re read it.

Many Irish people have gone to agencies that specialize in helping immigrants with c.vs aimed at the american employer. That should not be news to you.

State of you have you DONE of these 'associate degrees '??

My understanding is they are way over priced anyway.

That is a ridiculous statement to make ?????
    Its a true statement ...im baffled. Are you not Irish then?

Many Irish people have gone to agencies that specialize in helping immigrants with c.vs aimed at the american employer. That should not be news to you.

Yes, I can see you're baffled and waffling and deflecting.

I am Irish but that has nothing to do with the fact that it is not a true statement you made saying that most Irish people have direct experience (living/working) with the US. And then when I questioned that you said because we're a nation of immigrants and asked if that rang any bells.
    You don't seem to have a logical point here.

Now you say many Irish have... changing from your first position of saying most. That says it all.

Yes, I can see you're baffled and waffling and deflecting.

I am Irish but that has nothing to do with the fact that it is not a true statement you made saying that most Irish people have direct experience (living/working) with the US. And then when I questioned that you said because we're a nation of immigrants and asked if that rang any bells.
    You don't seem to have a logical point here.

Now you say many Irish have... changing from your first position of saying most. That says it all.
    You are going way out on a tangent here.

The original comment was it was annoying that americans call qualifications degrees that we do not.

Someone said he learnt he had gone to the states and said he was surprised to learn he had a degree.

You said it didn't work like that.

He and I have said we have direct experience of it being JUST like that.

Obv we HAVE worked in the states.

you are the one going on about most irish people etc and derailing the thread.

None of what you are saying is relevant to that point.

You picking apart various posts also is not relevant to that point.

Yes it does work like that. Some qualifications here ..are considered associate degrees in the states.

NFQ level 6 is an associates degree . Or the equivalent to one.

• Advertisement

As you can see, that is a lie. You can't be taken seriously. Judging by the sheer amount of your posts in such a short amount of time, I can see it's quantity over quality which is just a waste of time.

As you can see, that is a lie. You can't be taken seriously. Judging by the sheer amount of your posts in such a short amount of time, I can see it's quantity over quality which is just a waste of time.
    This is an example of someone attacking a poster under the visage of attacking what they are saying.

You are not attacking points.

But simply my right to post at all.

You are incorrect in your facts.

YES NFQ level six qualifications here are considered associate degrees in the states and much of the EU.

I didn't lie one in my posts to you.

The Institutes of Technology operate a unique system which allows students to progress from two year Higher Certificate programmes (NFQ Level 6 /Associate Degree equivalent programmes) to Ordinary degree (NFQ Level 7 ) and Honours degree ( NFQ Level 8 ) level.

https://euroguidance.ie/higher-education-system-ireland

From a site putting the Irish education system into the context of a european framework.

I hope this clears it up for you.

So the poster Pastuer was correct it is VERY possible to have a qualification in Ireland that is not considered a degree and find out in America that you have an associated degree.

You were wrong to tell him that it doesn't work that way.

You are going way out on a tangent here.

The original comment was it was annoying that americans call qualifications degrees that we do not.

Someone said he learnt he had gone to the states and said he was surprised to learn he had a degree.

You said it didn't work like that.

He and I have said we have direct experience of it being JUST like that.

Obv we HAVE worked in the states.

you are the one going on about most irish people etc and derailing the thread.

None of what you are saying is relevant to that point.

You picking apart various posts also is not relevant to that point.

Yes it does work like that. Some qualifications here ..are considered associate degrees in the states.

NFQ level 6 is an associates degree.

More disingenuous posting. You are the one who said "most Irish people" have experience with the US, and that it should ring a bell for me as we're a nation of immigrants. Then you edited your post after I replied. You also claimed you said something that I quite easily proved that you didn't-just so you could try to make a point where you didn't have one. Very bizarre manner of posting.

Also, the other poster did not say he had an NFQ level 6 qualification, saying they didn't even open a book.

If you have a qualification that you're looking to use for getting hired or to enter a university in the states, it very much depends on what you earned here and whether they will deem it an equivalency. It is in no way automatic and that is my direct experience and also of friends of mine too.

This is an example of someone attacking a poster under the visage of attacking what they are saying.

You are not attacking points.

But simply my right to post at all.

You are incorrect in your facts.

YES NFQ level six qualifications here are considered associate degrees in the states and much of the EU.

I didn't lie one in my posts to you.

https://euroguidance.ie/higher-education-system-ireland

From a site putting the Irish education system into the context of a european framework.

I hope this clears it up for you.

NO. Nite nite. You can continue on to meet your quota of daily posts, this is tiresome. You can disingenuously argue with yourself now.

You also claimed you said something that I quite easily proved that you didn't-just so you could try to make a point where you didn't have one. Very bizarre manner of posting.
    Its like talking to the mad hatter. lol

Very apt self-assessment. Have a good nite.

You keep saying goodnight ..but don't leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Well that wasnt fun for anyone. Both of you can take a week off from the thread.

Liberal Arts.

Actually the term liberal for leftest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

kidos . this drives me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

kudos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

State of you have you DONE of these 'associate degrees '??

My understanding is they are way over priced anyway.

Your understanding is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Baggly wrote: »
    kudos?

Kiddos , as in children

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

Being ‘shook’ and ‘obsessed’...
    And dogs being called pupper, doggo, puppeh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The habit that a lot of people have of ending every sentence with an upwards intonation, making everything they say sound like it ends with a question mark. I know it's crept into Ireland, too, especially among the younger generations, but I find it quite irritating. I wonder whether did use it to mean "you know?" without actually saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

New Home wrote: »
    The habit that a lot of people have of ending every sentence with an upwards intonation, making everything they say sound like it ends with a question mark. I know it's crept into Ireland, too, especially among the younger generations, but I find it quite irritating. I wonder whether did use it to mean "you know?" without actually saying it.

Australians are pretty bad at this also.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And Canadians.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The didn't make a hash of the sharp symbol - #

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

New Home wrote: »

It may have crept out of Ireland into America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_rising_terminal

Although it is characterized in Britain as "Australian question intonation" (AQI) and blamed on the popularity of Australian soap operas among teenagers, HRT is also a feature of several Irish-English dialects, especially in mid-Ulster and Belfast English.[citation needed]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The didn't make a hash of the sharp symbol - #

That's another thing; why do they call the # on a phone the "pound sign"? Caught me out the first time I heard it. I made a hash of the call...

Advertisement