Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating American names for things

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

And I anglicise the pronunciation of plenty of foreign words, and will expect the same by other English speakers, professional or otherwise. And should not expect to be condemned for doing it.

You can't deliberately anglicise a name that has not been modified by the company itself. Plenty of Irish people laughed at Trappatoni (and rightly so) for how he pronounced the name "Keogh" (kyog). He was f*ing working face-to-face with the guy and yet he didn't bother pronouncing his name correctly. It works both ways.

There is absolutely no reason why Dacia should be pronounced Dassia or Lancia Lansya by people paid to advertise it. So Americans pronouncing lingerie "longeray", or whatever way they pronounce it, is no worse than Irish saying we're having "taglyatelly" for dinner.

The US pronounce oregano the correct way. We don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Orégano came into English from Spanish. It has earlier roots in other languages. The accent on the e changes the pronunciation stress from the second last syllable to the second syllable, and this is closer to the American than the British pronunciation. Without accents on letters, Spanish words always stress the second last syllable in pronunciation. That might explain the British pronunciation.

Neither of the English pronunciations are incorrect, both are standard. This is recognised/recognized by English dictionaries.

Explaining pronunciations in writing is not advisable. Among the thousands of people reading Dacia/Dassia, there could be a few coming up with pronunciations you wouldn't expect.

Orégano came into English from Spanish. It has earlier roots in other languages. The accent on the e changes the pronunciation stress from the second last syllable to the second syllable, and this is closer to the American than the British pronunciation. Without accents on letters, Spanish words always stress the second last syllable in pronunciation. That might explain the British pronunciation.

Neither of the English pronunciations are incorrect, both are standard. This is recognised/recognized by English dictionaries.

Recognised, but the US version is more correct. The British version has become accepted because that's how it's evolved through centuries in which education was not as easy as it is now.

Not all Spanish words without accents have stress on the final.syllable. words ending in n or l have it on the last syllable, but that's neither here nor there.
    Explaining pronunciations in writing is not advisable. Among the thousands of people reading Dacia/Dassia, there could be a few coming up with pronunciations you wouldn't expect.

None of which would be correct. There is only one correct.

What this thread is really doing is highlighting what a nation of ignorant hypocrits we Irish really are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

None of which would be correct. There is only one correct.
    Jawohl, mein language fuhrer! Pity you miss the part where in languages, correct tends not to last too long and varies depending on time and place and even within the same culture and language.
    What this thread is really doing is highlighting what a nation of ignorant hypocrits we Irish really are.
    Pack your hair shirts guys, we're going on the usual guilt trip. The Irish are the gormless fools apparently. No other peoples mangle or rather adapt non native words. I do wish this lack of self esteem in the Irish psyche would kindly fuck/fook/fock right off. It's getting damned irritating and banal at this stage.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Your non-standard spelling of hypocrite might gain currency, and make it to the dictionary in future. That is one of the ways the language can evolve. It is nothing to do with ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They seem to have forgotten what they wrote earlier.
    Exactly. All languages have regional variations (e.g. European v South American Portuguese and Spanish, Germany German vs Swiss German, French v Canadian French, etc.). There's no right or wrong. Brazilian Portuguese has some very marked grammar differences to that spoken in Portugal, but it's still considered correct.

But let's regurgitate the Irish(in some) lack of self confidence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jawohl, mein language fuhrer! Pity you miss the part where in languages, correct tends not to last too long and varies depending on time and place and even within the same culture and language.

Pack your hair shirts guys, we're going on the usual guilt trip. The Irish are the gormless fools apparently. No other peoples mangle or rather adapt non native words. I do wish this lack of self esteem in the Irish psyche would kindly fuck/fook/fock right off. It's getting damned irritating and banal at this stage.

It's not just an Irish thing, but we tend to think that everyone else is wrong and we're right. The same way we slag off the Brits for being biased when we're every bit so. What I said had nothing to do with lack of self-esteem. Quite the contrary.

Your non-standard spelling of hypocrite might gain currency, and make it to the dictionary in future. That is one of the ways the language can evolve. It is nothing to do with ignorance.

Guilty, your Honour. I need to rely more on autocorrect in future. I make you that promise.
    They seem to have forgotten what they wrote earlier.
    Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
    Exactly. All languages have regional variations (e.g. European v South American Portuguese and Spanish, Germany German vs Swiss German, French v Canadian French, etc.). There's no right or wrong. Brazilian Portuguese has some very marked grammar differences to that spoken in Portugal, but it's still considered correct.
    But let's regurgitate the Irish(in some) lack of self confidence.

You need to take a look again. I was talking about regional variations, dialects, etc. of the same language there. My point today is to do with our attitude to other languages. Again, we're not unique in this, but we're wrong in thinking we're not guilty. That's my point.

Here are some more foreign words to amuse your friends, when you have finished explaining Lancia and Dacia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

As long as Turkey Trot doesn't come in here I don't mind the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

"How we roll" , ie how we do things.

Solely used by complete and utter cnunts.

Well, most of them are fat, so, it’s probably easier for them to roll than actually use more energy to walk or run

Ra ra ra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭trashcan

"Call out" which started as an Americanism - challenge/attack/highlight but please don't call out unless you need a tradesman.

Oh yes yes yes. I’m heartily sick of this phrase. Please, someone, make it stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Getting a wee bit sensitive there are we, Wibbs? :-p We have to take it if we're going to give it.

I don't think it's true at all to say no other people mangle or adapt non-native words. In fact that's the most baffling statement of all, which is strange especially coming from you as you seem fairly intelligent, more than most. Have you ever lived abroad, do you mind me asking?

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Getting a wee bit sensitive there are we, Wibbs? :-p We have to take it if we're going to give it.
    Your reading comprehension needs some work.
    I don't think it's true at all to say no other people mangle or adapt non-native words. In fact that's the most baffling statement of all,
    see above. Both my sentences mean the opposite of what you think.
    which is strange especially coming from you as you seem fairly intelligent, more than most.
    Damned by faint praise. :D
    Have you ever lived abroad, do you mind me asking?
    Yes and yes. :)

Your reading comprehension needs some work.

see above. Both my sentences mean the opposite of what you think.

Damned by faint praise. :D

Yes and yes. :)

So it's not my reading comprehension that needs work, it's your writing ability? That's grand if you mean the opposite of what you're conveying.

When and where have you lived abroad? How long? I'm actually interested if you don't mind me asking.

I do, so no.

One I did like is the "Associate Degree"

I arrived in America and suddenly discovered I had a degree which was great

Pasteur. wrote: »

How did you suddenly have an associate's degree from an accredited institution recognised in the US? Or are you just assuming you studied something for 2 years in Ireland so now you can say it's an associates degree? That's not how it works...

I do, so no.

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭blackbox

What's an associate degree?

• Advertisement

blackbox wrote: »
    What's an associate degree?

I had a 2 year national certificate here, never opened a book in my life lol

Anyways the people doing my CV in USA deem this an associate degree

I had a 2 year national certificate here, never opened a book in my life lol

Anyways the people doing my CV in USA deem this an associate degree

What people, recruiters? They may say it's equivalent to, but that doesn't make it an associates degree. Probably trying to get you hired and get their cut? LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Stateofyou wrote: »
    How did you suddenly have an associate's degree from an accredited institution recognised in the US? Or are you just assuming you studied something for 2 years in Ireland so now you can say it's an associates degree? That's not how it works...
    Actually a lot of national certs here are officially deemed associate degrees in the US.

US employers don't look at associate degrees as the same as anything we would CALL a degree here though.

When they say 2 yrs ..its mostly 2 years part time.

They are offered by community colleges only for the most part. Its a way for them to make money.

They are low value on a c.v though.

There are a few exceptions to this. Many nurses in the US for example only have a 2 year associate degree.
    What people, recruiters? They may say it's equivalent to, but that doesn't make it an associates degree.

No ..basically a college here ...gets somewhere in the us ..to accredit it. Or there is an international framework ...of credits ....that the course is a part of ...

NFQ Level 6 is an Associate Degree equivalent programme. So if your course gave you that ...then its deemed equivalent.

I have a honors bachelors degree ..so i have NFQ level 8...or something.

I didn't query it

Means fuKk all anyhow, most of the smartest people I know are not.really into study that much

I didn't query it

Means fuKk all anyhow, most of the smartest people I know are not.really into study that much
    I agree.

But the attitude of having to call everything a 'degree' is the height of intellectual snobbery and insecurity.

I agree.

But the attitude of having to call everything a 'degree' is the height of intellectual snobbery and insecurity.

Well that's the American way

Talk things up

Well that's the American way

Talk things up
    I hope i never become like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Erbs for herbs. over and out.

Erbs for herbs. over and out.

That doesn't sound American

Sounds like some English dialect or something

• Advertisement

Actually a lot of national certs here are officially deemed associate degrees in the US.

US employers don't look at associate degrees as the same as anything we would CALL a degree here though.

When they say 2 yrs ..its mostly 2 years part time.

They are offered by community colleges only for the most part. Its a way for them to make money.

They are low value on a c.v though.

There are a few exceptions to this. Many nurses in the US for example only have a 2 year associate degree.

No ..basically a college here ...gets somewhere in the us ..to accredit it. Or there is an international framework ...of credits ....that the course is a part of ...

NFQ Level 6 is an Associate Degree equivalent programme. So if your course gave you that ...then its deemed equivalent.

I have a honors bachelors degree ..so i have NFQ level 8...or something.

Sorry, what experience do you have to say what US employers look at, and what degrees here are accepted in the US?

Community colleges offer what we would call trade school certificates, diploma's, degrees, and a pathway into University (usually State) much like our QQI-FET route to Uni.

Advertisement