Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating American names for things

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Das Reich wrote: »
    And where are you from? Because all Europeans (non british islanders) and non Europeans I met have exactly this impression from Ireland soon as they arrive.

They're wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Our culture is basically American, our wealth is from American companies.

American english is superior english anyway so i'm glad it's getting more common in Ireland :)

Not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Rothko wrote: »
    They're wrong

How are they wrong that Irish culture is very Americanized? Most Irish people in the 70s, 80s and 90s grew up watching American TV & films and listening to American music. A new generation of kids are now growing up watching predominantly American content on YouTube and Netflix. American country music is huge in Ireland — in what other European country would there be a national meltdown over Garth Brooks being denied permission to hold concerts? And Irish people seem to follow US politics even more avidly than their own domestic politics — threads on Boards.ie about the recent US elections probably got more posts than threads about the Irish general election in February. Most of the top employers in Ireland are now US multinationals, meaning that many people's professional lives are deeply entwined with America as well. There's no getting away from it, sorry.

The point of this thread is to do with irritating American English creeping into (and displacing) our own understanding of English. Standard/ Hiberno English is our traditional tongue, not American English as well you know.

So you can put out your Trash on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, while we put out our rubbish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Diaper / nappy
    Motor/engine
    Trash/rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

tringle wrote: »
    One I have heard recently is "on accident" instead of by accident. It happened on accident. First time I heard it was on an unscripted TV show i I thought it was just the person's style of talking. Second time was in a interview but can't remember where and third time was an Instagram story where a well spoken chef/food writer explained how this recipe was developed on accident when they didnt have X ingredient available. Is this a new thing, has anyone else heard it. Its only in the past 4 weeks i have come across it.
    I mentioned 'on accident' earlier in this thread. I've heard it numerous times but most recently was by two different characters in the comedy Community which finished in 2015, so it's not a very new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Their recipes

1 cup of....

They just love to break everything down into cups

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Invidious wrote: »
    How are they wrong that Irish culture is very Americanized? Most Irish people in the 70s, 80s and 90s grew up watching American TV & films and listening to American music. A new generation of kids are now growing up watching predominantly American content on YouTube and Netflix. American country music is huge in Ireland — in what other European country would there be a national meltdown over Garth Brooks being denied permission to hold concerts? And Irish people seem to follow US politics even more avidly than their own domestic politics — threads on Boards.ie about the recent US elections probably got more posts than threads about the Irish general election in February. Most of the top employers in Ireland are now US multinationals, meaning that many people's professional lives are deeply entwined with America as well. There's no getting away from it, sorry.
    I agree, though would say it has accelerated massively in the last 20 years. I grew up in 70's and 80's Ireland and like you say we had a lot of US media exposure and British with it, but the absorption wasn't nearly so obvious. Nobody(outside of parts of Kerry) was calling their mother "mom", nor going to the "store" and the only time you'd hear a cheesy mid atlantic accent was coming from a club DJ, and they were lampooned for it.

The UK has had a similar exposure to US media in that time, but they haven't gone the mid atlantic thing and use of loan words to near the same extent as we have. Then again we Irish have long had an uncomfortable relationship with our accents and origins for all sorts of historical reasons. We had mass elocution going on in schools of the 50's and 60's to take the (mostly rural)accents away. First it was an aping to a large degree of the received british accent, now it's the American.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Diaper / nappy
    Diaper sounds a lot posher(from the Greek, into English). Nappy is short for napkin, which could be confusing in a restaurant... :D
    Motor/engine
    More a confusion/mashup between the types. IIRC an engine converts energy into a reciprocal motion, a motor turns energy into a rotating motion. So an internal(or external) combustion device is an engine, a an electric device is a motor. So a Tesla has a motor, a Small block Chevy has an engine. Even that can vary across time. So something like a windmill is an "engine" though it's mostly rotational.

Different terms for the same thing can give a glimpse into history too. So an estate car was as it suggests a car with loads of luggage space for people who owned large estates, a "stationwagon" was a vehicle that transported people and all their luggage from train stations to their properties. A "shooting brake" was a two door car for estates with room in the back for guns and the like. These days of course it's up for grabs marketing wise, so VW have a four door "shooting brake". No VW. NO. :D

Trunk makes more sense than boot. Early cars literally had trunks strapped to the back. Hood makes more sense than bonnet, the latter sounds a bit girly. :) I dunno where fenders or wings came from. In the very early days they were called mudguards on both sides of the Atlantic.

I do like how Americans as far as they're concerned don't seem to live in houses or apartments, they live in homes. Welcome to my home. Kinda sweet. We'd rarely say that, more likely get inside you muppet you're letting the heat out. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I mentioned 'on accident' earlier in this thread. I've heard it numerous times but most recently was by two different characters in the comedy Community which finished in 2015, so it's not a very new thing.

Community is an American production.

• Advertisement

The post that I originally replied to said that out culture was "basically" American. That's pretty much implying that we have no culture of our own, which is blatantly untrue.

Of course Ireland has been influenced by America to a certain extent, no one can deny that. However, we still very much have our own identity.

Dude you need a vacation to the car rib be in

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

With the above example, it's unclear as to whether the emphasis is on the second syllable or the third syllable.

What a retard remark

What a retard remark

Is it?

I'm genuinely not sure which pronunciation of Caribbean you believe to be the correct one. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Their recipes

1 cup of....

They just love to break everything down into cups

The minute I see the mention of cups in a recipe I lose interest, it might be fine for basic baking but not for anything where more exact measurements are required.

Most people this side call it Caribbean
    Yanks call it the Carib be in.
    Jesus you need a hobby

Most people this side call it Caribbean
    Yanks call it the Carib be in.
    Jesus you need a hobby

Okey dokey, we'll leave it there so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,832 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Pronunciation advice in writing is pretty much useless, without phonetics. Second best is to bold the syllable which is stressed in speech, Car rib e an. Another example would be the Japanese and the Irish pronunciations of Fukushima. Foo koosh ma / Foo koo she ma.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

What a retard remark

Do people still use that word in 2020? Really? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Become...

• Stateofyou wrote: »

Appropriate thread, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If you're being in your car or your rib then you should be grand as long as you don't risk infecting any passengers

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Indeed, it would arguably be more grammatically correct to type "retarded".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Seamai wrote: »
    The minute I see the mention of cups in a recipe I lose interest, it might be fine for basic baking but not for anything where more exact measurements are required.

In work we were tasked with carrying out a technical test for a NOAA subdivision (to do with repairing coral off Florida). The official test method stated to "add half a cup of sea salt..." to water to simulate sea water. We Googled what exactly a cup is and of course found several wildly different definitions. And this is for NOAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Imitation Cheese- it's fake cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

Fanny pack

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Rothko wrote: »
    The post that I originally replied to said that out culture was "basically" American. That's pretty much implying that we have no culture of our own, which is blatantly untrue.

Of course Ireland has been influenced by America to a certain extent, no one can deny that. However, we still very much have our own identity.

I'd say Ireland has a hybrid culture. Some aspects are clearly Irish, such as the Irish language & literature, GAA sports, and traditional Irish music. But many people also follow English football and soaps, watch American films and TV, eat Asian food, and so on. And then there are the ever-increasing numbers of foreign-born residents: One in six people living in Ireland was born elsewhere. So it's an open question as to what "our own identity" actually means anymore.

I'd say Ireland has a hybrid culture. Some aspects are clearly Irish, such as the Irish language & literature, GAA sports, and traditional Irish music. But many people also follow English football and soaps, watch American films and TV, eat Asian food, and so on. And then there are the ever-increasing numbers of foreign-born residents: One in six people living in Ireland was born elsewhere. So it's an open question as to what "our own identity" actually means anymore.

A clear and concise, common sense post.
    It's mad, Ted.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Advertisement