Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating American names for things

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It’s probably been said already but “Standing in line”. The English language has a perfect little word for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

atr2002 wrote: »
    Roasted marshmallows was what we called them

No, s'mores are more complicated than that, involving biscuit and chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Jerk.

Douchebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

hurikane wrote: »
    Drives me especially mental when people call the Atlantic Ocean, a pond.

That's an English thing. Some English still refer to America as "The Colonies".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Think this thread is smug, rude and racist.

No, it isn't.

FortunateNarrowAndeancockoftherock-small.gif

The way Americans pronounce the word 'twat' (twot) annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Wibbs wrote: »
    Americans aren't a "race".

Do you think it's smug, rude and prejudiced? Bigoted? Xenophobic? Ethnocentric?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Do you think it's smug, rude and prejudiced? Bigoted? Xenophobic? Ethnocentric?
    So not so unlike America then? And it's not as if a shed load of Americans don't have woefully daft and ignorant ideas about other countries and cultures. Shure Oil be gettin back to me lucky charms to be sure to be sure, as soon as I bring de sheeep to market. Begorrah. :D

At least half the time a scary number of Americans can't even find on a map or pronounce the names of places they're drone bombing and "bringing freedom" to. EyeRak. :rolleyes:

But nah, it's mostly a bit of fun, for those who have a sense of humour(with a U).

Lovin the offence buzzwords being trotted out though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

So not so unlike America then? And it's not as if a shed load of Americans don't have woefully daft and ignorant ideas about other countries and cultures. Shure Oil be gettin back to me lucky charms to be sure to be sure, as soon as I bring de sheeep to market. Begorrah. :D

At least half the time a scary number of Americans can't even find on a map or pronounce the names of places they're drone bombing and "bringing freedom" to. EyeRak. :rolleyes:

But nah, it's mostly a bit of fun, for those who have a sense of humour(with a U).

Lovin the offence buzzwords being trotted out though.

Sorry, are you trying to justify this thread by claiming that well America is the same, so that makes it okay? We're supposed to be adults here, so we should know better. When our kids come to us and say, will he did xyz first or she said xyz so what I said doesn't matter. We know that isn't true. What a strange angle to come from.

Yeah, Americans have cereal called Lucky Charms, totally the same thing as this whole thread meanly (and often incorrectly) slagging off an entire country with numerous cultures of 330 million people. Not to mention that we're supposed to be welcoming to people here. Or at least that's what we claim. There are thousands of American's here and loads of multinational companies-no doubt there are / have been loads of Americans reading this shíte. Shame on boards for allowing it to continue.
    Then you end your tripe with another stereotyping, generalisation, bigoted commentary towards a country of numerous cultures with 330 million people tarring them all with the same brush. Well done. Its HILARIOUS!

By the way American's are not being ignorant and daft, it's mostly a bit of fun, for those who have a sense of humour (without a U).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

.anon. wrote: »
    The way Americans pronounce the word 'twat' (twot) annoys me.
    I think that's kinda cute, as if they're trying to make it sound posh. :) They do kinda similar with "cunt". It lands on their lips like a foreign thing and they're not quite sure how to deal with it. Unlike Australians who can make the same word dance. American folks can say fuck with the best of them though. Some accents in particular.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Happy thanksgiving y’all

We're supposed to be adults here, so we should know better. When our kids come to us and say, will he did xyz first or she said xyz so what I said doesn't matter. We know that isn't true. What a strange angle to come from.
    Exactly, adults. Adults can give and take it, we're not little kids running to mooomy because of "bad words". Or shouldn't be. If any Americans want to roll up and take the piss out of the Irish I'd welcome it and they'd certainly have enough material to be getting on with. And I know enough Americans including a couple living here that can give as good as they get and have the craic doing so.

begbysback wrote: »
    Happy thanksgiving y’all
    Well that's nice too. Now if an Irish person says it.... fingernails down blackboard time. But not as bad as some Irish who were going on about trump and MAGA. *cringe*

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

begbysback wrote: »
    Happy thanksgiving y’all

YEEHAW!!! *Shoots sixguns in the air*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

They do kinda similar with "cunt". It lands on their lips like a foreign thing and they're not quite sure how to deal with it.
    It sounds like they're invoking a German philosopher, who, ironically is often referred to as cųhnt by students.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    who, ironically is often referred to as cųhnt by students.
    I do hope deliberately. Cos I would. Oh the jolly japes around Uranus as a schoolkid. And now tbh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I do hope deliberately. Cos I would. Oh the jolly japes around Uranus as a schoolkid. And now tbh. :D

Oh yes, deliberately. Especially at exam time. Cus he's a boring cuhnt. Essential and brilliant but fuk me! Zzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don’t give a rrrrraaaaaats aaaaaaassssssss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I saw a moose limb driving a knee sawn

(Muslim driving a Nissan)

Exactly, adults. Adults can give and take it, we're not little kids running to mooomy because of "bad words". Or shouldn't be. If any Americans want to roll up and take the piss out of the Irish I'd welcome it and they'd certainly have enough material to be getting on with. And I know enough Americans including a couple living here that can give as good as they get and have the craic doing so.

Oh please. That's just a piss poor excuse for "I want to say what I want without having to change and think of others."

And I actually personally know Americans who are on boards, who saw this thread and were offended. I'm not even American and I think it's ignorant and rude.

• Advertisement

An Americanism that's become pandemic proportions in recent years is Super.
    I'm super-excited/super-happy/super-optimisic/it's super-cool, etc.

I hear it all the time in meetings, especially from Marketing people from all countries, but especially Germany. Of course they all use US English, with slight twangs picked up from Netflix. It's actually refreshing to hear the odd one who actually learnt their English here or in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Oh please. That's just a piss poor excuse for "I want to say what I want without having to change and think of others."

And I actually personally know Americans who are on boards, who saw this thread and were offended. I'm not even American and I think it's ignorant and rude.

Aaaand block.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Chinasea wrote: »
    Think this thread is smug, rude and racist.

Run along and tell Mom, I mean a Mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I think that's kinda cute, as if they're trying to make it sound posh. :) They do kinda similar with "cunt". It lands on their lips like a foreign thing and they're not quite sure how to deal with it. Unlike Australians who can make the same word dance. American folks can say fuck with the best of them though. Some accents in particular.

That reminds me of something Billy Connolly once said about Americans finding 'cunt' hugely offensive, but being perfectly ok with 'motherfucker', which is far worse when you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

I'm American and I don't find the thread offensive. If people want to get worked up about trash vs rubbish or color vs colour, that's up to them. American and British English have diverged for centuries and it's only natural that terminology and spelling conventions will differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

.anon. wrote: »
    That reminds me of something Billy Connolly once said about Americans finding 'cunt' hugely offensive, but being perfectly ok with 'motherfucker', which is far worse when you think about it.

In Ireland, c**t is an all-purpose swear word, but in America it specifically targets women in a vile and misogynistic way.

It strikes Americans as very odd when Irish people refer to men as c**ts. That does not compute at all.

Invidious wrote: »
    I'm American and I don't find the thread offensive. If people want to get worked up about trash vs rubbish or color vs colour, that's up to them. American and British English have diverged for centuries and it's only natural that terminology and spelling conventions will differ.

Exactly. All languages have regional variations (e.g. European v South American Portuguese and Spanish, Germany German vs Swiss German, French v Canadian French, etc.). There's no right or wrong. Brazilian Portuguese has some very marked grammar differences to that spoken in Portugal, but it's still considered correct.

The problem I have is Irish people or radio stations or componies adopting American English as a type of fashion statement or superiority complex.

Invidious wrote: »
    American and British English have diverged for centuries and it's only natural that terminology and spelling conventions will differ.
    Ditto for Hiberno English, though mass media has contracted that in a big way over the last few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Exactly. All languages have regional variations (e.g. European v South American Portuguese and Spanish, Germany German vs Swiss German, French v Canadian French, etc.). There's no right or wrong. Brazilian Portuguese has some very marked grammar differences to that spoken in Portugal, but it's still considered correct.

The problem I have is Irish people or radio stations or componies adopting American English as a type of fashion statement or superiority complex.

Well said, I totally agree specially about some radio stations and presenters slipping in (consciously or not) a few Americanisms, be it Movie Theatre, vacation or Math (Pat Kenny's fave) and for the 1st time ever I'm hearing the odd mention of "The Holidays" on Irish airwaves :cool:

Very dangerous to be messing with our beloved Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Some may think superior but personally they don't fool me. My OH grew up in the States so we end up there on family visits which aside from them, both of us find being there a bit of a struggle.
    One thing I would say about many Americans is that they often come across as being more intelligent than they actually are.

Advertisement