Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More people believing Conspiracy theories

Options
  • 28-10-2020 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

With all this extra time on our hands, I find more & more people are believing the random conspiracy theories online.

Talking to relatives & friends, most of which would laugh if ya mentioned a conspiracy theory before are now telling me they are starting to agree?
    I mean, these people are not the kind you would ever associate with them before.

After watching "Social Delima" on Netflix, I guess that this shows a remarkable resemblance to how if you see it enough on your feed, even if your not subscribed, it slowly starts to take grip in your mind
    I'm also put it down to people having more spare time on their hands to "Research" them.

I'm not on about the NWO theories, but that covid is purpose made, or the government prefer to keep us in lockdown bullsh1t.

I keep relying back on my reply of "What experts? Who are "they"? Why is no actual medical professionals saying this" but being honest I'm loosing interest in arguing with the facebook facts..

Anybody else circle starting to wear tinfoil hats or is it just me?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well if the average IQ is 100 that's a lot of people floating about below that so that's one factor. The next is boredom. Many if not most people have lives full with routine stuff they do everyday which keeps the mind and body active, take that away and they start to think about stuff more and maybe for the first time in their adult lives so the mind wanders. Then you have an apparently novel and out of the ordinary change in life and society and that raises questions and shatters the comfortable routine. Then you have quite the number out there who otherwise are informed around their general lives but are lacking much beyond it. Then you have social media and Ann and Paddy on Facebook... Lots of ingredients for tinfoil and how to make hats right there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yurt. The Dumb is strong in a lot of people, an air-sea change in lifestyle like the one currently obtaining lets that bubble to the surface in several ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

A good conspiracy is hard to prove and hard to disprove. If the idea appeals to someone they are more likely to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It’s pretty clear that fluoride in drinking water, 5G, Bill Gates’ vaccines and the Soros funded liberal media are all engineered to make people believe all kinds of absolute nonsense about who is controlling the world and how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I have no information about covid being man made...

But how in the world do you think the government is not keeping us in lockdown on purpose? How is that even disputable, let alone a conspiracy theory?

The government had 2 real choices. Either total China shutdown that roots out the virus, allowing people to get back to their lives, or no lockdowns Sweden/Belarus style, accepting the consequences.

The current quasi kind of-not really lockdown achieves nothing but ruining the economy while keeping most avenues for the virus to spread open, ensuring endless waves of lockdowns.

Please explain how that is wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Boredom is humanitys worst enemy. When we think too much we come up with strange ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Interesting paper on the psychological motivations and issues behind the growing rise of the conspiracy.

https://phys.org/news/...storylines-fall.html

This particular paper is based around pizzagate and its growth, proliferation and the subsequent layering and connecting with other CT's.

The AI tangent is interesting but quite honestly the mind-maps are enough for any rational person espousing this particular CT or ones related to it, to at least question their certainty.

Even debating with CT proponents become tiresome as they Gish gallop or rely on tiny variances.
    Spend a little time over on boards CT forum and meet the inmates ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Conspiracy theories are the sign of the comfortable, complacent and bored If you have real stuff to get on with you just don't have time for this crap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

spook_cook wrote: »
    Yeah, I've seen more and more on the rounds.

The political ones usually just ally to the person's own politics, but seeing a lot of:
    - Melania is dead/is a double.
    - Boris's baby doesn't exist (that rabbit hole is hilarious).
    - Russia is behind <literally_anything>

Then you've the ones on corona and the great reset. Which oddly is on the cover of Time, which must drive CTers nuts.

And then a lot of ones I think are derived from the Epstein case involving world leaders and human trafficing.

I wanna say they're all nuts. But you would have said that a while ago about the spying on everyone in the West, UFOs... :)
    That's the thing about conspiracies, they seem believable and sometimes they turn out to be true, or have a grain of truth in them.

I suspect the Epstein case will be one of them. In the sense that there is a group of so called elites in positions of wealth and power that are deviants out of the box, or become deviants through boredom or greasy pole climbing and Epstein was one of the facilitators and likely(or wouldn't be a shock) groomed and placed in that position by some agent, state or otherwise for leverage purposes on his "clients"(his lifestyle, wealth and initial near immunity to prosecution don't add up). And yeah was likely killed to keep him quiet. I have the feeling we got a look behind a couple of curtains there, but it will be a brief one, swallowed up by the pandemic and other news, used as distractions and left in the box marked "conspiracy".

Hell Weinstein was sexually abusing and raping women, many of them very high profile women for many years while he was being feted by the "great and good" because he was making oodles of cash while producing "worthy" blockbusters. Note how it all only came out after his star had faded. It wouldn't have come out in the 90's I'm pretty sure of that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Bound to happen. A legacy of the disaster Invasion of Iraq. People were sold a pup. A litany of lies. No one held accountable for it, nor ever will be held accountable. The aftermath created even more realms of confusion on the western population with the Arab spring, one minute some dictator is a disgrace, next month they are a great lad, next month a disgrace again and must be killed, but then we'll get a even bigger disgrace such as ISIS to kill the dictator for us and afterwards we will go kill ISIS. Its not difficult to gleam why people don't trust anything anymore given the goings on within the last 20-15 years.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

With all the crap that's going on lately it's hard to say what's theory and what's real.

Sings.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

OMM 0000 wrote:
    The pair were struck off as solicitors in 2018 for matters completely separate to this garda investigation.

Boredom is humanities best friend. When we think to much we come up with great ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It’s an interesting one, I think the big ones like JFK, 9/11 pearl harbor are interesting and should not be muzzled by the likes of youtube.

On the other hand you have people peddling ****e for profit, there is a fine line though.

Gogglebox is of course an elaborate surveillance programme disguised as a light entertainment format. Everyone on those sofas is being watched for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭jackboy

If anyone was told a year ago that soon people will be banned from going from relatives funerals that would have been one of the most lunatic conspiracy theories going, yet here we are.

I think the reason for an uptick in conspiracy theories gaining legitimacy is because of things such as Jeffrey Epstein and his island/paedo network were routinely dismissed as absolute bunkum and conspiratorial only a year ago.

Further back you had the ridiculousness of the twin tower attackers passports being miraculously found, albeit slightly charred, in the wreckage of the buildings. The whole Bohemian Grove thing was apparently bull****, until it wasn't. The widespread acceptance and silencing of molestation in hollywood and the depravity of many previously respected people has come to the fore.

A lot of what was dismissed has now been proven to be true. Therefore you can't blame people distrusting the narrative they are regularly and repeatedly told in the mainstream media.

If Trump has done anything good in his presidency, it is the fact that people now have less faith in what they are being told.

*Edit: Wibbs beat me to it*

jackboy wrote: »
    If anyone was told a year ago that soon people will be banned from going from relatives funerals that would have been one of the most lunatic conspiracy theories going, yet here we are.

Only if you didn't offer a plausible, medically sound reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The_Brood wrote: »
    I have no information about covid being man made...

But how in the world do you think the government is not keeping us in lockdown on purpose? How is that even disputable, let alone a conspiracy theory?

The government had 2 real choices. Either total China shutdown that roots out the virus, allowing people to get back to their lives, or no lockdowns Sweden/Belarus style, accepting the consequences.

The current quasi kind of-not really lockdown achieves nothing but ruining the economy while keeping most avenues for the virus to spread open, ensuring endless waves of lockdowns.

Please explain how that is wrong?

Because most countries actually believe in human rights and most governments erroneously believed that they could strike a balance between imposing Draconian restrictions on free movement and still allowing people as much as possible get on with their lives. That citizens could be trusted to do what was right as a lot of European countries constitutions wouldn't even allow for the tight measures implemented in China. That borders could be kept open as citizens could be trusted to only use international travel for truly essential purposes.

Unfortunately, as much as I hate the phrase, the virus doesn't care about human rights. So inevitably any country that tried a sort of in-between set of lockdown measures has had to re-implement Draconian measures as once freedom of movement was restored, people took liberties and what is an extremely contagious virus inevitably spread again.

Behind all the conspiracy nonsense, the fact of the matter is, most world leaders are not in any way scientific minded or have any sort of medical background. Most countries had some sort of "expert advisory board" who implemented recommendations which were then half arsedly implemented or twisted to suit big industries. They are not trying to keep us in lockdown, why would they do this? To what ends? If anything most governments are trying to keep us out of lockdown, our very own government rejected a lockdown proposal a few weeks ago only to have to row back on it. A lot of European countries re-opened to tourism against medical advice as they knew it was a massive industry that needed to be serviced in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭jackboy

Only if you didn't offer a plausible, medically sound reason.

Even if all the facts were accurately predicted it still would have been an off the wall conspiracy theory.

Not really, there is a history of "global" pandemics and this just happens to be the current one.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    Behind all the conspiracy nonsense, the fact of the matter is, most world leaders are not in any way scientific minded or have any sort of medical background. Most countries had some sort of "expert advisory board" who implemented recommendations which were then half arsedly implemented or twisted to suit big industries. They are not trying to keep us in lockdown, why would they do this? To what ends? If anything most governments are trying to keep us out of lockdown, our very own government rejected a lockdown proposal a few weeks ago only to have to row back on it. A lot of European countries re-opened to tourism against medical advice as they knew it was a massive industry that needed to be serviced in some way.

The theory is that they're deliberately trying to crash economies, to bring in The Great Reset (already publicly announced), a part of which is 'The Great Debt Reset'. That theory says once economies are on their knees and people in huge debt as a result, the proposal will be "in return for wiping all of your debts, agree to give up ownership of your property etc, along with agreeing to mandatory vaccination programs and enrollment in a digital ID program, increased surveillance/tracking etc"

It will effectively leave most of the population at the mercy and control of government (more EU/world government), in which if you won't have much of a choice but to do what you're told.

A continued transference of wealth from middle/bottom to the top is happening as we speak. Notice how currently these start/stop lockdowns are wiping out small businesses, with people being forced to spend their money with the likes of Amazon etc even more.

Government 'rejecting' Level 3 a while ago was to simply give the illusion of choice. Another Level 5 was always the plan. But by doing a quick Level 3, they could say "well we tried, but people can't be trusted. No choice now". Quietens dissenters/protest a bit more.

Covid has a 0.03% chance of killing anyone outside of the elderly and medically vulnerable. Yet here we are, locked down and restricted, with no end in sight. 0.03%... "Pandemic".. really?

Here's some of their promotional material. Sounds amazing, right? :rolleyes: Look into it yourself. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss publicly proposed plans like this as "nonsense" just yet.

7s8ngbi5ggv51.png

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

spook_cook wrote: »
    Yeah, I've seen more and more on the rounds.

The political ones usually just ally to the person's own politics, but seeing a lot of:
    - Melania is dead/is a double.

Now to be fair I did make a thread on this on in the CT forum but you would have to be blind to not notice that trump has been using melania doubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The_Brood wrote: »

This is where you're wrong. The government here didn't have the choice of a total Chinese style lockdown. Our Constitution and laws, not to mention our economy, culture and society, don't allow for that level of restriction. We never had the option to totally eradicate the virus. We went as far as we could in Spring - hell, we actually went further, because in some instances the Government gave the impression that some restrictions were legally mandated, when in fact they were only guidelines. It's not due to a conspiracy that we didn't go further - it's the natural limits of western democracy. We're always going to be fighting with one hand behind our back in comparison to a dictatorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

My favorite ones are "The Russian's did it" that so many people seem to buy into. It's like taking a step back in time to 1960's America i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Here's some of their promotional material. Sounds amazing, right? :rolleyes: Look into it yourself. I wouldn't be so quick dismiss publicly proposed plans like this as "nonsense" just yet...

As far as I can make out from that video, the plan is to turn the entire population into Millennial baristas and Deliveroo riders in Trendy Co-Living Environments.

jimgoose wrote: »
    As far as I can make out from that video, the plan is to turn the entire population into Millennial baristas and Deliveroo riders in Trendy Co-Living Environments.

And as if that's not bad enough, that's just their glossy promotional front. Look into some independent sources/videos who analyze their proposals/ideas more objectively. It's not good. At all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think a lot of it is people who want to be smarter than everyone else and thus is there way of proving it and that everyone else are puppets as they like to say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I don't think more people are believing conspiracy theories , I think the definition of "Conspiracy theory" has become quite broad though, in order just to smear people with different political views.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's the thing about conspiracies, they seem believable and sometimes they turn out to be true, or have a grain of truth in them.

I suspect the Epstein case will be one of them. In the sense that there is a group of so called elites in positions of wealth and power that are deviants out of the box, or become deviants through boredom or greasy pole climbing and Epstein was one of the facilitators and likely(or wouldn't be a shock) groomed and placed in that position by some agent, state or otherwise for leverage purposes on his "clients"(his lifestyle, wealth and initial near immunity to prosecution don't add up). And yeah was likely killed to keep him quiet. I have the feeling we got a look behind a couple of curtains there, but it will be a brief one, swallowed up by the pandemic and other news, used as distractions and left in the box marked "conspiracy".

Hell Weinstein was sexually abusing and raping women, many of them very high profile women for many years while he was being feted by the "great and good" because he was making oodles of cash while producing "worthy" blockbusters. Note how it all only came out after his star had faded. It wouldn't have come out in the 90's I'm pretty sure of that.
    The Epstein case is an interesting one. The British royalty, the former Mossad agents, the honey trapping, the sex island - it has it all. I can only imagine how deep it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I don't think more people are believing conspiracy theories , I think the definition of "Conspiracy theory" has become quite broad though, in order just to smear people with different political views.
    Apparently the term "conspiracy theory" was invented by the CIA to discredit anyone who questioned the official version of John F Kennedy’s assassination. Or is that a conspiracy theory too?

Advertisement