Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More people believing Conspiracy theories

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

The theory is that they're deliberately trying to crash economies, to bring in The Great Reset (already publicly announced), a part of which is 'The Great Debt Reset'. That theory says once economies are on their knees and people in huge debt as a result, the proposal will be "in return for wiping all of your debts, agree to give up ownership of your property etc, along with agreeing to mandatory vaccination programs and enrollment in a digital ID program, increased surveillance/tracking etc"

It will effectively leave most of the population at the mercy and control of government (more EU/world government), in which if you won't have much of a choice but to do what you're told.

A continued transference of wealth from middle/bottom to the top is happening as we speak. Notice how currently these start/stop lockdowns are wiping out small businesses, with people being forced to spend their money with the likes of Amazon etc even more.

Government 'rejecting' Level 3 a while ago was to simply give the illusion of choice. Another Level 5 was always the plan. But by doing a quick Level 3, they could say "well we tried, but people can't be trusted. No choice now". Quietens dissenters/protest a bit more.

Covid has a 0.03% chance of killing anyone outside of the elderly and medically vulnerable. Yet here we are, locked down and restricted, with no end in sight. 0.03%... "Pandemic".. really?

Here's some of their promotional material. Sounds amazing, right? :rolleyes: Look into it yourself. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss publicly proposed plans like this as "nonsense" just yet.

7s8ngbi5ggv51.png

Yeah this is complete nonsense.

The "own nothing and you'll be happy" article can be found here

It is a hypothetical piece written by a single Danish MP several years ago that made some speculative theories about the direction things are heading with an increasing service economy with things like uber replacing car ownership, pay as you go bike rental schemes, Netflix replacing owning movies etc, and the article specifically calls out the downsides of dependence on such services as they can involve trading away your privacy, and leave sections of society left behind.
    The Author wrote:
    Some people have read this blog as my utopia or dream of the future. It is not. It is a scenario showing where we could be heading - for better and for worse. I wrote this piece to start a discussion about some of the pros and cons of the current technological development. When we are dealing with the future, it is not enough to work with reports. We should start discussions in many new ways. This is the intention with this piece.

It's a long, long way from some kind of statement of intent that world governments are going to set a virus loose and use it as an excuse to steal everyone's property.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

Boredom is humanitys worst enemy. When we think too much we come up with strange ideas.

Blaise Pascal — 'All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

People are often comfortable convincing themselves of this stuff because it absolves them of responsibly.

Don’t want to wear a mask, well it’s easier to agree with the nit jobs saying your poisoning yourself with your own Co2, now you have a reason not to and because it mentions Co2 it’s obviously science based.

China is far away and they live a totally different lifestyle, they are so different socially, so yea they probably made this to hurt us. Ignoring the fact that it’s hurt them terribly too.

The government are doing this just to control people and enforce a new world order. Yea that’s a handy thing to lumber onto a government you maybe didn’t vote for, it confirm you were right all along not to vote for them.

If your bored of being locked down, just start believing that we should drop lockdown and old people should hide away and protect themselves. Easy to justify this because you get normality back and blame anyone who catches covid because they should have stayed away. Not to mention that between older people and vulnerable people we would expect about a million people to hide, forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I think anxiety is a big issue here. People worry way too much, the media used to be a suitable amount of worry for most but phones have made worrying a main activity. To some people worrying about CTs feels like constructive worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

quokula wrote: »

See, the problem here is that you're looking up source material and applying logic and context to interpreting what it means. That's not research.

Research is falling down Twitter, Facebook and YouTube rabbit holes of completely unverified lies and half truths, out of context quotes, memes and misunderstood statistics. How do you ever expect to believe in the global conspiracy for imminent human enslavement if you don't put the work in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't think more people are believing conspiracy theories , I think the definition of "Conspiracy theory" has become quite broad though, in order just to smear people with different political views.

Totally agree with this. Some of the stuff mentioned on this thread have nothing to do with 'conspiracy theories' even.
    I'd add though, like a lot of things the proliferation of the internet and sites on top of it have given a platform to everyone. Generally this is a good thing as is the proliferation of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

See, the problem here is that you're looking up source material and applying logic and context to interpreting what it means. That's not research.

Research is falling down Twitter, Facebook and YouTube rabbit holes of completely unverified lies and half truths, out of context quotes, memes and misunderstood statistics. How do you ever expect to believe in the global conspiracy for imminent human enslavement if you don't put the work in?

Exactly. Abraham Lincoln never got involved in social media and was a great president unlike Trump who is forever tweeting ****e

Is it any surprise when an official Garda twitter account posts pictures of Gardai guarding a display of Cadbury's Roses in the name of public health.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

_Brian wrote: »
    People are often comfortable convincing themselves of this stuff because it absolves them of responsibly.

Don’t want to wear a mask, well it’s easier to agree with the nit jobs saying your poisoning yourself with your own Co2, now you have a reason not to and because it mentions Co2 it’s obviously science based.

China is far away and they live a totally different lifestyle, they are so different socially, so yea they probably made this to hurt us. Ignoring the fact that it’s hurt them terribly too.

The government are doing this just to control people and enforce a new world order. Yea that’s a handy thing to lumber onto a government you maybe didn’t vote for, it confirm you were right all along not to vote for them.

If your bored of being locked down, just start believing that we should drop lockdown and old people should hide away and protect themselves. Easy to justify this because you get normality back and blame anyone who catches covid because they should have stayed away. Not to mention that between older people and vulnerable people we would expect about a million people to hide, forever.
    Well yes, in the same way 9/11 hurt America, but then they were able to justify invading the middle east. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but there could be a bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I like reading books on conspiracy theories, but I don't take them seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Joe Rogan just had Alex Jones on the podcast and almost from minute one it was; "HUNTER BIDEN IS A BIG TIME CRIMINAL, THEY ARE BENT AS FÚCK, IT'S ALL REAL, IT'S A HUGE DEAL, CHECK IT OUT, IT'S ALL THERE............!"

I mean ok, if he was right about Jeffrey Epstein years ago that's one thing. But legitimizing an obvious Trump smear tactic a couple of week before an election is just sick. It's Hillary's emails all over again. You'd just hope the electorate could wake the fúck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

branie2 wrote: »
    I like reading books on conspiracy theories, but I don't take them seriously.
    I read one of David Icke's books. It was entertaining, especially the Bohemian Grove stuff, not so much the lizard people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

My brother has become a conspiracy theorist of sorts. It's always people of below average intelligence who go down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole. He's also a heavy cannabis smoker, which seems to be a factor as well. It started for him around the time of the water meter protests - European conspiracy, Denis O'Brien, signals from the meters impacting your health, fluoridation etc. It always seems to boil down to (if you'll pardon the pun) people in positions of authority or a perceived elite plotting against the poor auld pleb.

quokula wrote: »

It is a hypothetical piece written by a single Danish MP several years ago that made some speculative theories about the direction things are heading with an increasing service economy with things like uber replacing car ownership, pay as you go bike rental schemes, Netflix replacing owning movies etc, and the article specifically calls out the downsides of dependence on such services as they can involve trading away your privacy, and leave sections of society left behind.

It's a long, long way from some kind of statement of intent that world governments are going to set a virus loose and use it as an excuse to steal everyone's property.

What are you waffling about Netflix and renting bicycles for? The article is literally headlined:
    "Welcome to 2030. I own nothing, have no privacy, and life has never been better".
    "Welcome to the year 2030. Welcome to my city - or should I say, "our city". I don't own anything. I don't own a car. I don't own a house. I don't own any appliances or any clothes."
    You're right, it is nonsense. Weird, weird sounding nonsense. Why the hell have they still got it on their site?

You should research into Klaus Schwab and his 'Great Reset' (based on his sh*t book of the same name). He's dreamed of it for years, apparently, and now says the 'pandemic' is the "perfect window of opportunity to implement it". There's some big backers involved, and a lot of countries are already adopting the 'Build Back Better' slogan (Biden and Trudeau being two examples who've featured the slogan at their campaigns). It's not coincidence they're all using the same slogan; someone is writing the script. World Economic Forum set to meet January:
    "The Great Reset" will be the theme of a unique twin summit to be convened by the World Economic Forum in January 2021. The 51st World Economic Forum Annual Meeting will bring together global leaders from government, business and civil society, and stakeholders from around the world in a unique configuration that includes both in-person and virtual dialogues."

Unsurprisingly, they've been wiping a lot of his interview clips off youtube and other platforms. I shared one on another thread here last week where he says "the Great Reset / 4th Industrial Revolution will feature "facial recognition, tracking people, and synthetic biology vaccines". His book is also obsessed with increased surveillance, sacrificing privacy etc, showing repeated admiration for the Chinese style of government. Hence why they never bothered moving that 'nonsense' article off their website. Go check out some of his interviews. He'd be better off moving towards his true calling of playing a Bond villian, instead of trying to position himself as some unelected leader of a new world government/economic/societal reshape.

Sky News Australia ran a feature calling it for what it is:

My brother has become a conspiracy theorist of sorts. It's always people of below average intelligence who go down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole. He's also a heavy cannabis smoker, which seems to be a factor as well. It started for him around the time of the water meter protests - European conspiracy, Denis O'Brien, signals from the meters impacting your health, fluoridation etc. It always seems to boil down to (if you'll pardon the pun) people in positions of authority or a perceived elite plotting against the poor auld pleb.

Just because your brother is a stoner, doesn't mean the average thinking person should blindly trust the word of governments and big corporations :pac:

It’s not a lunatic conspiracy theory to believe that an NGO has proposed various social and economic initiatives called The Great Reset. They have a fully public website all about it:

https://www.weforum.org/great-reset/

There’s think tanks, Left, Right, Centre and other that come up with plans like this all the time. It’s what they do.

What is a lunatic conspiracy theory is that Covid 19 and the reaction to it is all part of some secret elite one-world government plan to implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

And then of course there are the real conspiracies.

Anyone remember the huge hype about ocean floor nodules mining from the 1970's?

Was supposed to make us all rich and the world a better place ...turns out it was all made up by the CIA to steal a Russian sub :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/deep_sea_mining

peasant wrote: »

Was supposed to make us all rich and the world a better place ...turns out it was all made up by the CIA to steal a Russian sub :D

Wasn't around back then, but ya know how it is for some people. Whatever government/RTE tells them must be true, whereas anything to the contrary is 'conspiracy theory' :pac:

If anything, what this whole 'pandemic' has taught me is how easily people are controlled. To use an even earlier example from history, after the Ludlow Massacres in 1914, Rockefeller hired Ivy Lee to rebuild his public persona. Lee basically told him "be seen and pictured giving money to poor people. If you do it enough, people will trust you again and believe you're good". Guess what, it worked :D The approach has been adopted by many since and still works to this day :pac:

141f17e64510b35b3e340d8ba01788ea.jpg

What is a lunatic conspiracy theory is that Covid 19 and the reaction to it is all part of some secret elite one-world government plan to implement it.

Are you calling them liars? :D

david_rockefeller_on_the_verge_of_new_world_order.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Conspiracies exist and are an undeniable fact of life and always have been.

There are quite clearly some very tall tales being peddled as conspiracies. That is also obvious.

People and their opinions will clearly range from the extremely naive (i.e those who believe 100% of everything that they are told all of the time by everyone) to those who are conspiratorial or paranoid by nature whose opinions are at the other of the scale.

When it comes to matters of conspiracy I've chosen to keep an open mind on a lot of these subjects until I know enough to form an informed opinion one way or the other.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Joe Rogan just had Alex Jones on the podcast and almost from minute one it was; "HUNTER BIDEN IS A BIG TIME CRIMINAL, THEY ARE BENT AS FÚCK, IT'S ALL REAL, IT'S A HUGE DEAL, CHECK IT OUT, IT'S ALL THERE............!"

I mean ok, if he was right about Jeffrey Epstein years ago that's one thing. But legitimizing an obvious Trump smear tactic a couple of week before an election is just sick. It's Hillary's emails all over again. You'd just hope the electorate could wake the fúck up.

The media have bashed Donald Trump from the day he took office.

This is a two way street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I’m on the fence about whether I will get a Covid-19 vaccine. One of the pharmaceutical CEOs was on the radio saying it would usually take 10 years for a vaccine but we have done it in 9 months. What short cuts have you taken to do that? I don’t want to wake up one morning with two heads, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I’m on the fence about whether I will get a Covid-19 vaccine. One of the pharmaceutical CEOs was on the radio saying it would usually take 10 years for a vaccine but we have done it in 9 months. What short cuts have you taken to do that? I don’t want to wake up one morning with two heads, thanks.

That doesn't read like you are on the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

That doesn't read like you are on the fence.

I haven’t decided either way, but I certainly won’t be in a queue on day one for a vaccine.

A recent survey from Ireland showed that approx 50% would get a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

It is a hypothetical piece written by a single Danish MP several years ago that made some speculative theories about the direction things are heading with an increasing service economy with things like uber replacing car ownership, pay as you go bike rental schemes, Netflix replacing owning movies etc

Er the article says that you'd have to share your house with strangers all the time

"My living room is used for business meetings when I am not there."

What if you have children ? The person who has been reduced to slavery in this scenario says "All in all, it is a good life" and the headline says "Life has never been better."

It is sick.

That it was a hypothetical thought experiment by a Danish MP helps to answer the question in the OP: more people perceive that the powerful (in media/the government/officials) are not trustworthy. Social trust in institutions and authority is taking a nosedive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

A excerpt from a recent Jim Al-Khalili book is prescient about conspiracy theories as being the polar opposite of scientific theories.

"...(conspiracy theories) seek to assimilate whatever evidence there is against them and interpret it in a way that supports rather than repudiates their core idea thus making them unfalsifiable. Many who hold such views will always try to interpret and favour evidence in a way that confirms their pre-existing hypotheses. This is known as confirmation bias. Often, in the case of ideological beliefs, we also hear the term cognitive dissonance whereby someone will feel genuine mental discomfort when confronted with evidence supporting a view contrary to their own. This potent combination of confirmation bias and the avoidance of cognitive dissonance works to reinforce pre-existing beliefs..so, trying to persuade someone in this frame of mind with scientific evidence can often prove to be a waste of time."

So if you can't present evidence which can be verified in order to form some kind of consensus or to discount that hypotheses (e.g. 5G causes Cancer/Covid) then it's not a theory at all it's merely an opinion, a gut feeling....and has a high probability of being complete BS. Critical thinking skills and even common sense are waning if nonsense like Pizzagate and Flat Earth "theory" gain traction. Even successful theories such as relativity and natural selection (which have been tested and verified ad nauseum) remain falsifiable so long as new evidence might happen to disrupt them. Any proper theory is essentially saying "Given all that we currently know to explain XY or Z and considering the evidence conducted to support that explanation then this theory is currently our best, most current and robust explanation for XY or Z".

Conspiracy theories are not theories because they are just opinions posited as absolute truth and any application of some semblance of the scientific method seems to amplify them all the more e.g. the "scientists" are part of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I haven’t decided either way, but I certainly won’t be in a queue on day one for a vaccine.

A recent survey from Ireland showed that approx 50% would get a vaccine.

And 12% said they would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

peasant wrote: »

The CIA have admitted that they secretly subverted democracy in Guatemala in the 1950s.

They admited they were funding and influencing most modernist art and literary magazines like the Paris Review. They admitted that Ernest Hemingway worked for the CIA. In other words, they are on record as having a hand in determining the direction of 20th century art, literature and culture as well as politics.

All conspiracy fact, not theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Any vaccine that makes it to market will have been trialled on at least 30,000 people and confirmed to have no major side effects. If those 30,000 people get covid instead, many of them will have major side effects including death.

The process has been sped up by throwing more resources and more volunteer test subjects at it, not by cutting corners. Regulators in Europe at least are extremely strict, and no pharma company would want to leave themselves open to litigation if they cut any corner either.

Advertisement