Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies meeting boardsies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Kylta wrote: »
    I agree when people meet me, I go from hero to like god status, its unbelievable, many a mortal can't take the admiration, but I fu¢king love. After that then the gifts come.
    Fu¢k yeah meet me if im your hero

You better empty your inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I didn't go to any of the Boards AH meet ups, but I did go to a UL one back in the day, which was pretty small. I then met a Boardsie because they helped with my dissertation, and two more Boardsies because they came up to me in pubs and went "hey, are you sup dude?" (which was my username at the time). The first time it was actually my friends who let it out of the bag that I was a Boardsie and I was unceremoniously dragged over to this other person in the smoking area they had been chatting to. The second time I'm not actually sure how they recognised me.

Only met one boardsie in RL and only found out he was a boardsie by accident. I was at a client's site and looked behind me and saw a guy on boards and could see his username in the top right. I recognised the username immediately as he's a very prolific poster and he looked exactly like I imagined. I didn't say anything to him.

It's nice to be able to put a face to a username, it's one of the few things Twitter has to offer.

And that would be the death of AH.

And no more of the below. Chap would, at best be 'cancelled' :(
    #mycarmychoice
    .anon. wrote: »
    I attended one meet up, a few years back. No offence, but there were too many creeps and weirdos for my liking. Well, I say 'attended' - I sat outside the venue subtly masturbating in my car while watching all the creeps and weirdos arriving. That was enough for me.

May not be wholly original, but this is comedy gold :D

Gave me a good laugh anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I met loads of fellow posters from the fitness forum (and a subsequent spin-off site) over the years. As someone noted it is probably easier and less awkward at meet-ups when there is a common interest/hobby. And that forum was one of the busiest on the site with, to be fair, a very low percentage of weirdos.

Loads of us used to just go training together, it became almost a weekly thing. I am still in touch with a lot of them although none are still on boards.

Tbh I only really "re-discovered" boards myself during the recent covid boredom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

The Sex & Sexuality beers used to be great fun.

Until the "incident".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Until the "incident".

Couldn’t get it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I've been a member for about 18 years now (different profiles) and met a lot of boardsies over the years. 95% have been super sound.

Even went on some of the nights out and had some of the best craic ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Until the "incident".

The incident now sounds like its some sort of secret for all the old boardies keep.
    Yet if this secret is not shared with those of us who is knew. How will we know whats right and whats wrong? So in the interest of the boards fraternity and if those who were involved in the incident are no longer here, then the incident should be revealed to all because I believe it will make all us boardies stronger. Rather than have a division between new and old members of those who knew and those who didn't know the facts of the incident.

I must say the above statement is cool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

Many a great night had in Doyle's

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

.anon. wrote: »
    I attended one meet up, a few years back. No offence, but there were too many creeps and weirdos for my liking. Well, I say 'attended' - I sat outside the venue subtly masturbating in my car while watching all the creeps and weirdos arriving. That was enough for me.

Can’t bate an aul snakey fap at these things !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Kylta wrote: »

The incident now sounds like its some sort of secret for all the old boardies keep.
    Yet if this secret is not shared with those of us who is knew. How will we know whats right and whats wrong? So in the interest of the boards fraternity and if those who were involved in the incident are no longer here, then the incident should be revealed to all because I believe it will make all us boardies stronger. Rather than have a division between new and old members of those who knew and those who didn't know the facts of the incident.

I must say the above statement is cool

The incident was already spoken about in the thread. As for who the perpetrator was I don't know, I suppose I could guess but trying to find a creep on Boards.ie would be a bit like looking at a Where's Wally picture in which at least eighty percent of the people in it are Wally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

A scary while ago, I nearly went to an AH beers. In the end the cost of travel and blah blah, I didn't.

But that night I a dream about the night. Yes I did go to the ball. It was an awful journey and I ended up at the darkest, dingiest most unwelcoming pub in the country.

There were two Mods on the door granting admission or not. One was a big lad with a surly sort of smirk, and the other was a little weedy sort of guy who kept sucking his teeth.

Big Lad: Who are you [smirk]
    Little guy: [Tsssst]
    Me: Um Hi I'm Purgative [not then], good to ...
    Big Lad: Never heard of you
    Little guy: You wrote that thing on feedback how everything was shoite [Tsssssssst]
    Me: Well there were a lot of positive things in there too ...
    Big Lad: Nah sorry [Big smirk]

Thankfully then I woke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The incident was already spoken about in the thread. As for who the perpetrator was I don't know, I suppose I could guess but trying to find a creep on Boards.ie would be a bit like looking at a Where's Wally picture in which at least eighty percent of the people in it are Wally.

A needle in a needle stack as the saying goes. Any place there's an easy shaggeen going they're bound to congregate. But no woman wants to shag a creep, twould be against their religion. So what do you get? A bitter stalemate where nobody gets anything and a big phuqqing hullabaloo when one of the creeps decides to push his luck.

Kinda like we are seeing now

Purgative wrote: »
    A scary while ago, I nearly went to an AH beers. In the end the cost of travel and blah blah, I didn't.

But that night I a dream about the night. Yes I did go to the ball. It was an awful journey and I ended up at the darkest, dingiest most unwelcoming pub in the country.

There were two Mods on the door granting admission or not. One was a big lad with a surly sort of smirk, and the other was a little weedy sort of guy who kept sucking his teeth.

Big Lad: Who are you [smirk]
    Little guy: [Tsssst]
    Me: Um Hi I'm Purgative [not then], good to ...
    Big Lad: Never heard of you
    Little guy: You wrote that thing on feedback how everything was shoite [Tsssssssst]
    Me: Well there were a lot of positive things in there too ...
    Big Lad: Nah sorry [Big smirk]

Thankfully then I woke up.

This deserves the obligatory -
    cool story bro :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yep. Was a lot more fun than expected. Don't know if it'd be such a good idea nowadays.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Yep. Was a lot more fun than expected. Don't know if it'd be such a good idea nowadays.

Why not?

Why not?

Seems much less friendly, no real sense of community anymore, I think anyway.

5+ years ago I'd meet at least monthly with various groups from boards and would/would've called some of them genuine friends, now I'd struggle to think of more than one or two posters that I'd have any interest in meeting for a pint.

Throwaway accounts were the downfall of boards in my opinion. Ironic that this isn't my original account :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is it wrote: »

5+ years ago I'd meet at least monthly with various groups from boards and would/would've called some of them genuine friends, now I'd struggle to think of more than one or two posters that I'd have any interest in meeting for a pint.

Throwaway accounts were the downfall of boards in my opinion. Ironic that this isn't my original account :)

Mostly this. It's a more hostile place than it was years ago sadly but that's the internet in general. If I decide I have too many teeth, I might change my mind but I'd be extremely picky about meeting anyone here who hasn't been around on the same account for a very long time.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Mostly this. It's a more hostile place than it was years ago sadly but that's the internet in general. If I decide I have too many teeth, I might change my mind but I'd be extremely picky about meeting anyone here who hasn't been around on the same account for a very long time.

Pretty sure you were at a TGC beers myself and a few other boardsies gate crashed in Messrs/Sweetmans :D long time ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Isn't that a very sad indictment of were we stand today. And unfortunately its probably true.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure you were at a TGC beers myself and a few other boardsies gate crashed in Messrs/Sweetmans :D long time ago now.

Yep. Flew in from London and stayed with someone from the site as well. Was a lot of fun.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Yep. Flew in from London and stayed with someone from the site as well. Was a lot of fun.

I was at that one as well!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The only people left I want to meet are SFP & Frosty Morning Diamond, in the same bed, in the nip, with lots of seedless raspberry jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The only people left I want to meet are SFP & Frosty Morning Diamond, in the same bed, in the nip, with lots of seedless raspberry jam.

won't be seedless for long

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I was at that one as well!

And meself.

GDPR / Closed accounts really screwed the pooch.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

You had loads of chances!! :pac:

I met a number of boards users from here last year. Great nights out. Forum Games crew had many a fun night aswell. All welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Kimbot wrote: »
    Oh I realise ;) :P

You were always my special Cyborg Valkyrie, Kimster. :D:cool::cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Folks, I've posted about this in another thread and warnings have already been issued - can we please stop with the not so subtle digs towards other posters.

It's not on, and while some may get their kicks and thanks out of it, we are going to have to clamp down much much harder on this as it is starting to permeate into every single thread in the forum.

So let me be clear - if you think someone is using multiple accounts, by all means PM a forum mod, or report a post.

Do not discuss it on thread.

Do not have stupid childish digs at other posters - these will be dealt with more harshly going forward. Take it to PM for your kicks, or off-site, whatever - it's not happening here.

Let's not have petty running battles ruining every thread and mods having to repeatedly issue mod warnings on this subject, try and get along and AVOID each other if you have some sort of issue with another poster.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

I suppose any meet ups this year is with Zoom. Might be idea, yes?

Advertisement