Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies meeting boardsies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

FourFourFM wrote: »
    The term “boardsies” is so cringe

I dunno, I kinda like it tbh. Gives a sense of community...ish. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I know of 2 couples who met at beers. Not too sure how many boardlets are running around.

Boards babies? Jaysus, wouldn’t you be mortified finding out your parents “met” on here?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Necro wrote: »
    I dunno, I kinda like it tbh. Gives a sense of community...ish. :D

Like a family :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Was the Brown Wedding not a Boards wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I been to two boards meetups. Enjoyable times.

I would class a lot of posters from various forums as friends. I was chatting with one last year about a holiday I was thinking of doing to Tallinn. He had location on his bucket list too. We ended up there around the same time with a couple of overlapping days. We met up for a while over there. That must be the furthest people have travelled to meet up :D

I have met a couple of posters unknowingly too. I was chatting with a random person at a running event before. I noticed a poster had mentioned an anecdote from that convo on thread here. I know a couple of work colleagues have accounts here too. Recognised them from things they said. Forgotten their boards handle since. Feels a bit like reading someone's diary if you know them & lurk through their posts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There was a tradition in the beer guts forum that you had to bring s can of condensed milk as proof that you were part of the gang when going to their beers for the first time

Think they brought it in when a newbie inadvertently joined a group of swingers out for beers rather than the beer guts mob who were having beers in the same pub

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Stheno wrote: »
    There was a tradition in the beer guts forum that you had to bring s can of condensed milk as proof that you were part of the gang when going to their beers for the first time

Think they brought it in when a newbie inadvertently joined a group of swingers out for beers rather than the beer guts mob who were having beers in the same pub

:pac: That was there at my first few meet ups too, I remember wondering what the frick was going on with someone bringing condensed milk to a pub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

:pac: That was there at my first few meet ups too, I remember wondering what the frick was going on with someone bringing condensed milk to a pub :D

I'd assume they were pulling my leg if they said it to me in advance of a meetup.

Just like sky-hooks & glass hammers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah it was a bit strange alright:D

Depending on how many new people were at the beers you ended up with a pile of tins of condensed milk

Depending on how many new people were at the beers you ended up with a pile of tins of condensed milk

:D That's gas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭HBC08

Allegedly a category mod took an upskirt photo of another boardsie. Or something like that. It's part of the 'dark history of Boards we aren't allowed talk about'.

Whoah!
    Wasn't expecting that,i was thinking along the lines of somebody assumed someone else's gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Wasn't there also something about the name on the table or the book G reference? Like a transport company or something.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

greenttc wrote: »
    Wasnt there are boards wedding at some stage and possibly even some boards babies? or am I imagining memories again....

Quite a lot of Boards weddings. In addition to chopperbyrne meeting his wife at the epic Night of a 1000 Corsets, there were at least another four weddings from the BGRH forum alone.
    I know of 2 couples who met at beers. Not too sure how many boardlets are running around.

I know of a good few Boardlets at this stage.

Actually we had that from the very first BGRH beers because none of us knew each other in RL. Still didn't help the guy who ended up with the swingers though. :D
    Wasn't there also something about the name on the table or the book G reference? Like a transport company or something.

Brian Garry Road Haulage (BGRH ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Zaph wrote: »
    Quite a lot of Boards weddings. In addition to chopperbyrne meeting his wife at the epic Night of a 1000 Corsets, there were at least another four weddings from the BGRH forum alone.

I know of a good few Boardlets at this stage.

Actually we had that from the very first BGRH beers because none of us knew each other in RL. Still didn't help the guy who ended up with the swingers though. :D

Brian Garry Road Haulage (BGRH ;))

That's the one, that is a long time ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

All this talk of dating. Aren't we 95% neckbeards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Speak for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Went to a few beers many years ago, all lovely people. Met up with others as mates, still mates years on. Dated a couple too so I guess I got the token boards shag in too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

FourFourFM wrote: »
    The term “boardsies” is so cringe

Its the URL for the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Its the URL for the site.

Now Ye're Cringin'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Been to many beers, had relations with many people, met some really decent people, a couple of dipsticks and made some good friends. The social element of the site peaked about 7 or 8 years ago imo. There were some epic beers had on the back of TGC, one had probably 50 or 60 people at it. I think alot of people ended up settling down / getting sense, became friends IRL so pints were taken off site and with the proliferation of Facebook and smartphones the need for the social element of the site largely has dwindled. Pity really as some really good times were had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Been to many beers, had relations with many people, met some really decent people, a couple of dipsticks and made some good friends. The social element of the site peaked about 7 or 8 years ago imo. There were some epic beers had on the back of TGC, one had probably 50 or 60 people at it. I think alot of people ended up settling down / getting sense, became friends IRL so pints were taken off site and with the proliferation of Facebook and smartphones the need for the social element of the site largely has dwindled. Pity really as some really good times were had.

Those tGC ones were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Lynn Door

I attended one about maybe 10 years ago. Fun times were had and a gagging order followed. When is the next one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I like the idea of it, but I'm not sure if it's something I'd do myself.

Maybe over time if I 'got to know' certain posters a bit better, I might be up for a meet up. But a free for all meet up, I think i wouldn't be interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

One of my friends is on boards. Neither of us knew each other posted here till last year till I mentioned a topic being discussed and he just goes.. “ohh yeah, you are Strumms right !?” How the fûck he could have copped it.... I think he is mostly a reader, he mightn’t appreciate the term ‘lurker’ but I can’t remember whatever username he told me he uses, didn’t ring a bell anyway.

We have threatened to join the next meetup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I attended one meet up, a few years back. No offence, but there were too many creeps and weirdos for my liking. Well, I say 'attended' - I sat outside the venue subtly masturbating in my car while watching all the creeps and weirdos arriving. That was enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Parentalunit

Only met one boardsie in RL and only found out he was a boardsie by accident. I was at a client's site and looked behind me and saw a guy on boards and could see his username in the top right. I recognised the username immediately as he's a very prolific poster and he looked exactly like I imagined. I didn't say anything to him.

It's nice to be able to put a face to a username, it's one of the few things Twitter has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That's lovely. You must have been so grateful to them :)

Oh I was and they all got royally and well fed... Just heartwarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

You should never meet your heroes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

That could have happened at any gathering or occasion. I've been to a number of beers and meet ups. Every one of them was positive and some were very memorable :)

In the last 3 months?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

cj maxx wrote: »
    You should never meet your heroes

I agree when people meet me, I go from hero to like god status, its unbelievable, many a mortal can't take the admiration, but I fu¢king love. After that then the gifts come.
    Fu¢k yeah meet me if im your hero

Advertisement