Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies meeting boardsies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I've only met one 'Boardsie' in real life. It was a former moderator of this forum who sent me a message looking for advice on what to do in Frankfurt. I very generously offered to become their guide for the day, and even brought them to a restaurant that was probably slightly outside their budget range considering the hotel they were staying in.

I have this image of Boards beers that would turn me right off ever attending one. Two types of men: dweebish looking sorts with patchy facial hair and enormous 'metalhead' sorts wearing combat trousers. Lots of Playstation wallets with a velcro fastener, t-shirts with slogans, and vaping pens the size of a small shoebox. The air heavy with cheap aftershave and odours from their damp runners. The conversations mostly about other people not in attendance, atheism, computer games, and lame references to coke and hookers. Lots of uncomfortable silence with the occasional guffaw or cynical scoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

I'm fine, stop stalking me you crazy bitch!

Actually, no i have never knowingly met another boardsie.:D

I never stalk anyone here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

I would love to meet a few from here one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

I've met a few I've killed a few there can be only one

Disregard the points above if you would like to meet...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Met my wife at a boards beers. Night of 1000 Corsets it was. Don't forget your can of Carnation Condensed Milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Used to be lots of boards beers back in the day, half my college was on it, it was how we communicated before unlimited mobile plans were the norm and we could text each other to arrange a night out..

Don’t know if I’d do it now, love the anonymity of it, always did, not that I have a particularly controversial opinion on anything but still..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Yea I’ve met a few boardies and we all lived to tell the tale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Met up with a good few, dated one or two and inadvertently caused a marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Met a few. Never went to a beers but wouldn’t be keen. Didn’t a previous poster have a negative experience with a creep at one and it was handled badly? That wouldn’t exactly encourage you to go.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Met a few. Never went to a beers but wouldn’t be keen. Didn’t a previous poster have a negative experience with a creep at one and it was handled badly? That wouldn’t exactly encourage you to go.

That could have happened at any gathering or occasion. I've been to a number of beers and meet ups. Every one of them was positive and some were very memorable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Went out with one for the guts of two years, did the hand-fasting at another's wedding and have been to numerous beers over the years, including an AH one last year (I think? My sense of time has been fubared by this year).

The edgelord idiots tend not to go to the beers for obvious reasons. I've always had a great time at them. The creep incident people keep referring to is notorious at this stage but I'd like to think it would be dealt with differently now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I am on on board's over 20 years so I have been to loads from soccer to to car meet-up to.. I went to a Xmas Beers once and had no stalker problem all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I've met a few mostly through buying and selling stuff and stay in touch with some of them from time to time, there are a few local folks in and around the village that are members but it's like Fight Club rules when it comes to the locals.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm going to ask what everybody who doesn't know wants to know.....

What was the creep incident?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I don't know and don't care tbh.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Know lots, met some at beers or through different forum meet ups and a lot through my work and now have a few good friends from here. Very nice and quite mixed bunch in real life I've always found

HBC08 wrote: »
    I'm going to ask what everybody who doesn't know wants to know.....

What was the creep incident?!

Allegedly a category mod took an upskirt photo of another boardsie. Or something like that. It's part of the 'dark history of Boards we aren't allowed talk about'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Allegedly a category mod took an upskirt photo of another boardsie. Or something like that. It's part of the 'dark history of Boards we aren't allowed talk about'.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Was it even upskirt? I thought he filmed her legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If you rewind the clock about 10 years there was a vibrant enough culture of meet ups and beers: most people I met were quite normal. But the average age of everyone on the site is 10 years further along and there's less of a meet up and get smashed kind of outlook now, even before all this recent shyte.

Though I wasn't a regular poster in AH or the likes back then. Being around AH and CA has really brought home the high proportion of absolute weirdos on the site - but most of the likes of these wouldn't come within an asses roar of a meet up or actual social contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Yeah, I've met a good few people on this at beers, running events and selling stuff.

The strangest incident was at a beers and RTDH was there and he had a video camera strapped to his chest recording us all.

Boards scandal, I love it!

giphy.gif

It was a risky move on my part alright.
    If I disappear you know I have been "taken care of".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Only once, and Thats only because I worked out from their username who it must be [and I didn't say it to them, either]
    Oh, and a couple of times when swapping plants or the like of that.

Got to admit, the members of the Sexuality forum do pique my interest.

Also, are the Fashion and Appearance folks as slim and elegant as they sound?
    And are the Christmas Forum people as cosy as Posy?

In short, I'd love to.

When the PostCovid era dawns, let's have the father and mother of all meetups, and wear our usernames with pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Wasnt there are boards wedding at some stage and possibly even some boards babies? or am I imagining memories again....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Boards scandal, I love it!

Mod:

Move along now, nothing to see here...

Seriously though folks can we stick to the topic of the thread. No need to derail it.

Cheers.

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Move along now, nothing to see here...

Seriously though folks can we stick to the topic of the thread. No need to derail it.

Cheers.

I apologise if I was out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

greenttc wrote: »
    Wasnt there are boards wedding at some stage and possibly even some boards babies? or am I imagining memories again....

I know of 2 couples who met at beers. Not too sure how many boardlets are running around.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I apologise if I was out of line.

No no, it's just better if we stick to the fun stuff rather than posting about the other incident is all. :)

On topic...

Been to 4(?) meet-ups with Forum Gamers myself, all thoroughly enjoyable nights and great people to meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The term “boardsies” is so cringe

Advertisement