Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

3DataModem wrote: »
    Arrived today.

That's an incredible piece.
    Not my bag, but it is an aspirational watch, no doubt.

Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

3DataModem wrote: »
    Arrived today.

Milgauss is totally deadly, well wear.

Edit - just noticed its a Z-Blue, doubly deadly. More photos please try get that dial for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

options: Tudor Black Bay 58 blue or Explorer 114270. Any opinions welcome. (I should really get them both, shouldn't I?)

It would have to be the Tudor from me too. I don't know exactly what it about it, but I find the Explorer a little unexciting and "safe".

• Registered Users Posts: 65,063 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    I don't know exactly what it about it, but I find the Explorer a little unexciting and "safe".

That's exactly what I was looking for in my first Rolex, it being very much understated. A classic. Then when I got it, I wanted more bling :p:o

unkel wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was looking for in my first Rolex, it being very much understated. A classic. Then when I got it, I wanted more bling :p:o

Its like drugs, you start out on the light stuff. The stuff nobody else notices....then a few years later you are living on the streets, no teeth and injecting heroine in between your toes.

The explorer is a gateway watch. If I had to choose it would be the Rolex every time. The tudor is a excellent watch, but if you want a Rolex then it wont scratch that itch and BB58 are not holding value like they did in the past. I think they are really in two different brackets. The Tudor is the king of the discount divers...the rolex
    is entry into the next level.

I find explorers a little to bland also, I think a Milgauss is a better watch in the segment or push the budget to a pre ceramic sub. I would have said explorer II but they are 12 grand now I hear :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kop-end

kop-end wrote: »
    Orient Mako II kind of day .....
    ��

550999.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

This is a bit shaky. I'm watching too much Instagram I think.

http://i.imgur.com/Aj3h0Sq.mp4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

IMG-20210422-175415.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    It would have to be the Tudor from me too. I don't know exactly what it about it, but I find the Explorer a little unexciting and "safe".

I agree, but I've usually got one eye on sale-ability if I get something and then don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Apologies to Wibbs, I know he had asked for some more details about a few of the electronic watches I had picked up a while back when I last posted my Seiko electronic watch, however with college and work, I just didn't have the time for much Boards recently.

I said I'd share this one with ye today, it's a Citizen Cosmotron from April 1972. The dial is best described as a sunburst grey which ranges from black to a light grey or light brown depending on how the light catches it.

Interestingly, both the day and date are changed by pushing in on the crown at 3 o'clock (hold the watch up straight and push to change the date, upside down for day) and the button at 8 o'clock when pressed brings the second hand to the 57 second point on the dial if pressed after 30 seconds and back to 12 is pressed before the 30 seconds mark (I believe this was to attempt to get an accurate time adjustment in line with radio announcements in the days gone by).

Finally, theres the handy battery hatch on the rear that can be opened with a coin in order to facilitate replacement (a handy little feature). A lovely little watch that I think all in cost me the guts of €70 on yahoo auctions (a dangerous rabbit hole to go down!).

tdTzexi.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Cassius99 wrote: »

Interestingly, both the day and date are changed by pushing in on the crown at 3 o'clock (hold the watch up straight and push to change the date, upside down for day) and the button at 8 o'clock when pressed brings the second hand to the 57 second point on the dial if pressed after 30 seconds and back to 12 is pressed before the 30 seconds mark (I believe this was to attempt to get an accurate time adjustment in line with radio announcements in the days gone by).

That sounds stupidly complicated ... and I love it. Any video's of how you do it? Struggling to picture it.

RMDrive wrote: »
    That sounds stupidly complicated ... and I love it. Any video's of how you do it? Struggling to picture it.

It does sound daft and a bit complicated, but theres a certain simplicity to it too...until you forget which one is which and have to scroll through 31 days! Heres a video from youtube of the day/date change in action...

https://youtu.be/Gu5sRke09Ss

And of the seconds hand action.

https://youtu.be/S04_XRaCjaI

I actually made a mistake in the first post, the seconds hand always returns to 12 (except on another more worn out example I possess).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

A lunchtime walk in the sun earlier today.

cB51gusl.jpeg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When the electronic and later quartz came along the brands often added all sorts of little "complications" like your Citizen. Resetting to 12 when pulling the crown to set was a common enough one, though not common at all in purely mechanical movements(there was a 60's Longines handwinder that did it). Push button day and date changes, incrementally moving the seconds hand forward was another and independent hour setting hands for timezone changes was common enough. A lot of these features were mechanical in nature too. Which begs the question why the brands hadn't implemented similar in their every day mechanical movements. I suspect they didn't for two reasons: 1) the early quartz/electronic watches were the most expensive in the range so this allowed for more investment in such features and 2) the vast majority of company's mechanical movements were based on calibres that had been around for decades. Innovation behind the dial was minimal. About the biggest change in mechanical movements since the 30's was the introduction of high beat movements for greater accuracy. The automatic chronograph was the other. That's about it. The battery powered stuff was a new slate to work on.

Speaking of batteries and high beat movements Girard Perregaux were pioneers of both.

551114.jpg
    Girard Perregaux 9444 from 1973.

Separate to the rest of the Swiss industry(save for Longines) they had gone their own way with the new quartz technology and with the help of JLC for the mechanical bits developed their own. One quite different to the Swiss Beta 21 quartz family. For a start it had a stepping motor rather than a tuning fork driving the hands and the stepping motor was a beauty and superior to those that followed. It can drive much larger hands for a start. Grand Seiko's current quartz movement requires two motors to drive the normal sized hands(quartz movements have much lower torque than mechanical so hands had to be made lighter). The seconds hand hits the indices precisely too. The other advantage is that the GP movements had no delicate exposed coil. They built it with ordinary watchmakers in mind, so much easier to service. They then used teflon bearings instead of jewels. No oiling or maintenance required, but people wanted "jewels" and associated them with "luxury" in movements, quartz or no, so that didn't last long.

GP also came up with and set their quartz frequency to 32768 Hz which is what 99% of quartz movements have since set as the standard, because it gave the best trade off between accuracy and power consumption(up to that point 7000 and 9000Hz was the usual).

They advertised annual battery changes which was better than the competition. They also entered the watches into observatory chronometer testing(much higher criteria than COSC) which they won easily.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

IMG-20210423-181831.jpg

It failed me sell it.

-"Íosfaidh mé fhéin é", arsa an chircín bheag rua :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭This is it

In love with the Milgauss, beautiful.

This is it wrote: »
    In love with the Milgauss, beautiful.

Lads pop in here, stick up a Z-blue milgauss and vanish...thats not on. I need dozen of photos to sate my appetites.

I am besotted by the milgauss, I think its great and appreciate it polarising, but what a great watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Fitz II wrote: »
    Lads pop in here, stick up a Z-blue milgauss and vanish...thats not on. I need dozen of photos to sate my appetites.

I am besotted by the milgauss, I think its great and appreciate it polarising, but what a great watch.

You gotta leave them wanting more..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

This thread is worse than any gambling website. Getting some awful notions and need to be slapped around the face a few times before I remortgage the house and end up divorced....but at least I'll have a great watch I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Right, Saturday, let’s be havin’ ya...

551194.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭893bet

Life is pretty good at the moment. Hard not to enjoy a lazy Saturday morning. Nice coffee. Nice watch. Sun is shining.

(Do not mistake this post as to me being happy with my watch collection....that is a state that cannot be reached)

2-B1131-DE-86-F0-41-EE-9-C82-0-CE184256545.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

This week, I'ave been mostly wearing...

IMG-20210423-132840.jpg
    IMG-20210423-132844.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,886 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Lovely watch that globe master

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Seikos in the sun

These are on thick leather straps, Kudu, and steer. From a guy called Toshi based in Exeter UK. I wonder how he's doing post brexit.

551208.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

893bet wrote: »
    Life is pretty good at the moment. Hard not to enjoy a lazy Saturday morning. Nice coffee. Nice watch. Sun is shining.

(Do not mistake this post as to me being happy with my watch collection....that is a state that cannot be reached)

I really hope that's your foot in the bottom of the picture......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

551211.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

551214.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

athlone573 wrote: »
    Seikos in the sun

If that SKX ever begins to bore you, drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Ah Wibbs, is that a MacBook in the background. You’ve just dashed the vision I had of you in my head. I presumed that you posted here on some kind of steam powered Heath Robinson machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Cassius99 wrote: »
    If that SKX ever begins to bore you, drop me a PM.

Thanks for the offer but I'm ok for now (unless of course you can source a PS5 :p)

Advertisement