Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop falls foul of the Traveller lobby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ttoppcat wrote: »
    Tbh I can't be arsed...i know from previous experience on this topic that I'm wasting my time. It would take hours to go through and quote and argue with each point. I will say though that if you replaced the word Traveller with Black Men (who as you know are also disproportionately represented in prisons in america) in this thread, there would rightly be uproar at the generalised sweeping and hate filled comments that have appeared here. I feel sorry for any Traveller reading this and would hope they know that not all settled people feel this way.

the african american analogy - comparison falls down in many areas but that doesnt stop many gormlessly trotting it out

Slideways wrote: »
    The difference between black people (both African American and Australian aboriginals as I live in Aus) is that vast swathes of them work and contribute to society, get elected and live peaceful lives even if they have a higher percentage convicted/social welfare claimants etc.

How many travellers do you PERSONALLY know who have jobs etc. I’ve been around them for years, even have a phone number for one in my phone who I used to buy tools from as a mechanic in Ireland but they just don’t align themselves with society. The cost v benefit ratio is off the charts

african americans are paradigms of virtue , civic responsibility , educational achievement and public service compared to travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

@whiskeygalore...my point was not that they are directly comparable to African Americans (although they do share similar experiences in things like internalised oppression and dealings with police) My point was the language and tone being used by some posters would rightly be considered discriminatory or even hate speech if it was being directed towards Black people or another minority group. Scumbags, wouldn't live near them, rats, blight on society, incestuous" etc

@slideways I work in the community sector so actually know too many to count that are in employment.
    I'm not denying there is high unemployment or high crime rate amongst the population. My argument is that many on this thread are using language and generalisations that as I stated before are now rightly deemed unacceptable when it comes to other minority groups.

@whiskeygalore...my point was not that they are directly comparable to African Americans (although they do share similar experiences in things like internalised oppression and dealings with police) My point was the language and tone being used by some posters would rightly be considered discriminatory or even hate speech if it was being directed towards Black people or another minority group. Scumbags, wouldn't live near them, rats, blight on society, incestuous" etc

@slideways I work in the community sector so actually know too many to count that are in employment.
    I'm not denying there is high unemployment or high crime rate amongst the population. My argument is that many on this thread are using language and generalisations that as I stated before are now rightly deemed unacceptable when it comes to other minority groups.

you want to focus on eliminating home truth telling about a minority , thats stock n trade PC policy

who cares if the reality on the ground remains the same , the lie is much warmer , learn to love the lie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The level of ignorance in this thread is sickening and thoroughly depressing.

Ignorance means a lack of knowledge and experience.

The views on this thread are based on experience and first hand knowledge.

You can call it intolerance and hatred but it’s not ignorant.

Now you can ask the question as to why somebody is unable to tolerate the behaviour and cultural approach of travellers but that’s another question, and you can ask why people continue to hate travellers?

Personally I’ve no hatred for travellers, some of their approach to life is backward and actually seriously detrimental to their health and some of their approach to life is commendable but you won’t ever see me hiring a traveller to do work for me because their lack of education, formal training, compliance with regulations and reputation is not as good as others.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    you want to focus on eliminating home truth telling about a minority , thats stock n trade PC policy

who cares if the reality on the ground remains the same , the lie is much warmer , learn to love the lie

What are you on about? PC policy, what kind of rubbish is that? I've already stated that I am fully aware of the issues within the community and have no problem facing reality. You however seem to be unable to accept the reality that discrimination and hostility on the part of the settled community (as is very much evidenced on this thread) is a contributing factor to the marginalisation of Travellers in Irish society.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/just-9-of-settled-people-would-want-a-traveller-marrying-into-family-1.3244131

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-have-negative-view-of-travellers-survey-finds-1.4334274

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/workplace-survey-shows-traveller-discrimination-1.1184316

What are you on about? PC policy, what kind of rubbish is that? I've already stated that I am fully aware of the issues within the community and have no problem facing reality. You however seem to be unable to accept the reality that discrimination and hostility on the part of the settled community (as is very much evidenced on this thread) is a contributing factor to the marginalisation of Travellers in Irish society.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/just-9-of-settled-people-would-want-a-traveller-marrying-into-family-1.3244131

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-have-negative-view-of-travellers-survey-finds-1.4334274

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/workplace-survey-shows-traveller-discrimination-1.1184316

i dont accept it because its a lie

all of the attitudes towards travellers stems from the fact that the traveller way of life is utterly dysfunctional and destructive

i and many other people are also hostile towards members of the kinehan gang , hostility and aversion is often grounded in sound reason

all of the change of attitude required are on the travellers side , currently they bring nothing whatsoever to the table in terms of a social contract bar some entitled grievance culture which the left enthusiastically support and often make a living off

its a big fat lie , the entire narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

pgj2015 wrote: »
    And her main focus is hate speech, not trying to get travellers educated and away from getting married at 16 and a life on social welfare.

Thats it, anyone advocating for travellers is only ever advocating to silence people calling out their toxic culture, they want to give them immunity from criticism

Ignorance means a lack of knowledge and experience.

The views on this thread are based on experience and first hand knowledge.

You can call it intolerance and hatred but it’s not ignorant.

Now you can ask the question as to why somebody is unable to tolerate the behaviour and cultural approach of travellers but that’s another question, and you can ask why people continue to hate travellers?

Personally I’ve no hatred for travellers, some of their approach to life is backward and actually seriously detrimental to their health and some of their approach to life is commendable but you won’t ever see me hiring a traveller to do work for me because their lack of education, formal training, compliance with regulations and reputation is not as good as others.

Ignorance can also be "discourteous or rude". I was using the word in this sense mainly but also in terms of being uneducated or ill informed.

If you publicly stated I won't ever hire a black man because of xyz you would rightly be accused of racism. Yet you feel free to say it about Travellers. This is the issue I am trying to highlight

Thats it, anyone advocating for travellers is only ever advocating to silence people calling out their toxic culture, they want to give them immunity from criticism

they are a sacred cow of the progressive left

therefore they must not be expected to behave to the same standards as everyone else , its incredibly divisive and incredibly bigoted towards travellers but thats the PC creed for you

• Advertisement

i dont accept it because its a lie

all of the attitudes towards travellers stems from the fact that the traveller way of life is utterly dysfunctional and destructive

i and many other people are also hostile towards members of the kinehan gang , hostility and aversion is often grounded in sound reason

all of the change of attitude required are on the travellers side , currently they bring nothing whatsoever to the table in terms of a social contract bar some entitled grievance culture which the left enthusiastically support and often make a living off

its a big fat lie , the entire narrative

But do you have hostility and aversion to the whole community of the liberties based on the actions of the Kinehans and their ilk?

Larry2010 wrote: »
    I would be a bit nervous of hiring a traveller because of their track record. Why would I risk it?

And therein lies the problem. People give out about Travelers not working....yet people openly state they won't hire them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

we have one, count them, one, Traveller in the Senate.

How many Traveller senators do you think we should have? Five? Ten?

Seanad consists of 60 senators. Travellers are 0.7% of the population. You think they should be over represented?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

And therein lies the problem. People give out about Travelers not working....yet people openly state they won't hire them!!

Or they could start their own businesses, hire their own and pay taxes and prove that they can be legitimate. If there was a traveller lad with a leaving cert and a few years work experience id imagine some would take a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

My OH stole a dog off travellers when she was 10, crawled under the caravan and untied the dog, the dog lived happily for 12 years with her, it's only in Tipp that travellers get robbed.

But do you have hostility and aversion to the whole community of the liberties based on the actions of the Kinehans and their ilk?

No intrinsic culture exists in the liberties

Travellers are a criminal sub culture similar to the cosa nostra in terms of not involving police and abiding by an honour culture

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I remember when I was going to school I was the only raver in the whole town, at 15 I got rediculed,told raver's were gay, the bastard's used to make beeping sounds in my presence.
    Told I dressed like a clown.

No it's not funny, stop laughing .

Anyhow I'm thinking of getting validation now by going back to my past and digging it all up, take on the system for the hurt's and unresolved trauma issues.

Raver's had feelings too,and the bastard's all hung out with me, actually looking back I went from the only raver in a month to myself and my friends getting the bus to Galway buying Joe bloggs and SPX runner's, a real treat was heading into Limerick City and lining up outside the Shop called RAVE, they had all the gear.
    The odd friend shopped in modesty.an uber cool second hand shop off the Foxes Bow I think.

Anyhow if you want to be insulted by others opinions away with you, I'm sure travellers don't trust settled people either and I wouldn't blame them .
    And visa versa,one of the best looking woman I read to was a traveler, back in the early 00's she was absolutely stunning looking.
    She couldn't read around 23 year's old.
    I read her the horoscope, then I had to read 6 more lol

They were probably gypsys.

Talking about Des Bishop, he's a complicated man.
    Finds relationships hard, has a lot of hurt pain and confusion from his pastHit the booze quite heavy in his earlier year's.
    Recovering addict's and alcoholics have a lack of filters sometimes and sometimes say things that are considered stupid,to some they have a sick sense of humour.
    But I get them.

It's unfortunate he's in the limelight now over something he said, I say fck you to anyone who can't let things go and like partake in ruining someone's life over something they said off the cuff.

Boards is gone to **** anyhow.
    Grown adults in here following other poster's waiting for them to slip up and get them carded.

Oh some of ye have experienced it,the same gouls that are virtue signaling all over board's.
    Lurking around other people's post's,I have one ghoul and the decrepit wentch is always on my case.

Anyhow fck it, ban me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How many Traveller senators do you think we should have? Five? Ten?

Seanad consists of 60 senators. Travellers are 0.7% of the population. You think they should be over represented?

Whoosh.

That's you, missing the point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

My OH stole a dog off travellers when she was 10, crawled under the caravan and untied the dog, the dog lived happily for 12 years with her, it's only in Tipp that travellers get robbed.

12 happy years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The travellers wouldnt have ever seen anything like it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Nobody stole travellers land, nobody kidnapped travellers and forced them to work as slaves.

I wouldn't pull on the slavery thread if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Travellers? Slaves?

Have a look at news reports about slaves being kept on UK sites in appalling conditions by these absolute rotten scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah the closest travellers have come to slavery is in the role of master.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Noel considers himself Irish.

With his Union Jack guitar ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Granadino wrote: »
    With his Union Jack guitar ...

Annoys the fook out of me in England. You meet some lad or lassy on hearing me goes "Oh I'm Irish" in this heavy English accent.

Dig a little deeper it turns out Granny was from Clare or whereever the fook and your wan standing in front of me is no more Irish than the Beefeaters.

"No. You are not Irish. Your grandmother was Irish. Not you. Big difference"...:mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Incel In The Membrane

Annoys the fook out of me in England. You meet some lad or lassy on hearing me goes "Oh I'm Irish" in this heavy English accent.

Dig a little deeper it turns out Granny was from Clare or whereever the fook and your wan standing in front of me is no more Irish than the Beefeaters.

"No. You are not Irish. Your grandmother was Irish. Not you. Big difference"...:mad:

It might annoy you but if someone is born abroad to an Irish parent then they are automatically an Irish citizen. If they are born abroad to an Irish grandparent they have to have their birth registered with the state. After that they become a citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It might annoy you but if someone is born abroad to an Irish parent then they are automatically an Irish citizen. If they are born abroad to an Irish grandparent they have to have their birth registered with the state. After that they become a citizen.

Only if they are good at the auld soccer stuff

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Only if they are good at the auld soccer stuff

Ha yeah. But my point remains, people like Noel Gallagher are as Irish as you and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I appreciate the technical aspects of being technically Irish or entitled to Irish citizenship. But when you have someone stand in front of claiming to be Irish but were not born here, never lived here or even set foot in the country it is tedious. No you are English. Yes you have Irish relations etc but you are English. Your grandmother was Irish but are not.

If I was entitled to say a US passport due to relations I sure as hell would not go around saying I was American.

Being Irish is more than a passport. IMO.

• Advertisement

I appreciate the technical aspects of being technically Irish or entitled to Irish citizenship. But when you have someone stand in front of claiming to be Irish but were not born here, never lived here or even set foot in the country it is tedious. No you are English. Yes you have Irish relations etc but you are English. Your grandmother was Irish but are not.

Being Irish is more than a passport. IMO.

I agree with you. I hope we don't give voting rights to people abroad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement