Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best & the worst crisps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Slideways

Soft prawn cocktails ones. Looked like little flowers. Loved them as a kid.

Skips?
    theteal wrote: »
    Be thankful you're not stuck living over here (UK). Bloody Walkers everywhere -sweet chili Sensations are good, the standard crisps are muck. Gimme a packet of King or Tayto any day. . .actually it's getting to that time of the year when we order in a big box for xmas :D
    Try living in Aus. They have the worst “chips” going.

What I would do for a bag of Buffalo flavoured Hunky Dory’s..

My health has definitely improved off the lack of decent crisps though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Corn snacks and reconstituted potato starch snacks are the worst crisps as they are not in fact crisps.

My brother and I are currently looking at a business plan to launch a range of high-quality corn snacks to address the numerous complaints that corn based products like Monster Munch, Chickatees, Meanies are no longer as tasty as they once were, or have a very different mouthfeel than they used to have. One of the worst things to happen to corn snacks was moving from using deep fat fryers to using 'air fryers' to cook the product. A disaster for corn-snack connoisseurs.

A pickled onion flavoured corn-snack that actually tastes strongly of onion will be the launch product, but I've a personal interest in seeing a return of a hot-dog flavoured snack to replace these:

?width=375&version=2585335

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭tscul32

My brother and I are currently looking at a business plan to launch a range of high-quality corn snacks to address the numerous complaints that corn based products like Monster Munch, Chickatees, Meanies are no longer as tasty as they once were, or have a very different mouthfeel than they used to have. One of the worst things to happen to corn snacks was moving from using deep fat fryers to using 'air fryers' to cook the product. A disaster for corn-snack connoisseurs.

A pickled onion flavoured corn-snack that actually tastes strongly of onion will be the launch product, but I've a personal interest in seeing a return of a hot-dog flavoured snack to replace these:

I could never remember the name of them. I used to love them as a kid. Crunchos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Slideways wrote: »
    Skips?

Try living in Aus. They have the worst “chips” going.

What I would do for a bag of Buffalo flavoured Hunky Dory’s..

My health has definitely improved off the lack of decent crisps though

Actually I'd be similar, I eat shag all crisps these days. I'm like a kid a xmas when I'm back home though. . . . .I'd probably give a nut for a packet of Waffles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Where can I get these? I've never seen them
    Super Value or Tesco...
    Big bags not six pack. Try them, you wont regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

Facts:
    Manhattan are nice but too salty to consume without a beer. Tayto are the best Cheese and Onion Crisps in the world. Perfect ratio of oil/thickness/salt.

Spicy Rings a big let down.
    Meanies are Sublime.
    Spain worst country in world for Crisps. Lays are appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

McCoys do a fine crisp as well. Really chunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Absolutely loved crunchos as a kid^.
    Got a packet of nik naks recently trying to relive the memory of these. Hadn't a patch on crunchos.
    Still ate the whole bag though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

tried doritos flaming hot tangy cheese last night and after eating maybe a quarter of the bag i needed a pint of milk and my mouth was still on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

markc91 wrote: »
    tried doritos flaming hot tangy cheese last night and after eating maybe a quarter of the bag i needed a pint of milk and my mouth was still on fire!

I ate a full bag in one sitting and I was sweating afterwards like I was at the gym. Usually 'hot' crisps/snacks are fine, but they are genuinely scorching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

AllForIt wrote: »
    My favourite crisps used to be Sam Spudz crinkled smokey bacon flavour. Whatever happened to that brand? McCoys version not as good imo.

These were genuinely the greatest crisps ever made. No smokey bacon flavour crisps since have even come close to how insanely good they were.

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Super Value or Tesco...
    Big bags not six pack. Try them, you wont regret it.

I'm going to go to supervalu tonight. It's actually pathetic how excited I am about this.

seeing a return of a hot-dog flavoured snack to replace these:

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Shout out to Salt & Vinegar Discos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

markc91 wrote: »

foul so they are

Shout out to Salt & Vinegar Discos.

They pack a punch in the vinegar department. Powerful but nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Best crip:

f51c73b619e82c137990b7aa9666dd76--low-life-snoop-dogg.jpg

Worst crip:

ca1qd24x4zdx.jpg

Anyone ever eat Wheat crunchies? Do they even count as crisps? They're pretty bad.

My favourite crisps are chunky ridge ones of the "mc coys" variety (maybe most people are similar?). My favourite are Walkers max peri peri, flame grilled steak and paprika, although these are rare to find and usually only found in cheap pound shops, like the much maligned wheat crunchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It was only when I moved to England that I appreciated Tayto and Hunky Dory.

The Walkers over here are pure ****e.

It was only when I moved to England that I appreciated Tayto and Hunky Dory.

The Walkers over here are pure ****e.

Same here. You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

I could never justify ordering a box of crisps to be delivered off the internet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Same here. You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

I could never justify ordering a box of crisps to be delivered off the internet though.

Tayto do a subscription service!

https://taytocrisps.ie/product/crisp-box-subscription/

(edit: It's Ireland only)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I have always loved Tayto. Other Irish branded Crisps are nice too like Keogh's and similar ones. Hunky dorys are nice. Walkers are grand if stuck and no other brand available. King are nice and the supermarkets own brands are grand as alternatives. I used to like pringles but gone off them. The only thing i'd be fussy with is the flavour. Cheese/onion or sour cream be my go too ones. I'm not a fan of salt and vinegar ones. I like Doritos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I've been quietly impressed with the consistency of Hunky Dorys S+V during the lockdowns.
    A welcome change to the varying quality of the Tayto's of this world, and the less said about the overly crumbly King yokes the better.
    Walkers Max Jalapeño Cheese ain't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

If these were those super hard corn snacks I'm thinking of they were the absolute king. There's nothing like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Icaras wrote: »
    Monster munch are poor compared to what they were like before. As someone said waffles don't get enough love.

Yeah, both as regards flavor and texture, monster munch, they are just crap now. Whoever had the idea and approved the change should be drowned in spaghetti. There is no comparison in the bite, texture and flavor. They taste cheap.

Waffles are great, haven’t had a packet in a while, might need to pick up a six pack next week in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

KP Mini Chips all the way :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Guinness crisps from Lidl were horrible. As for the best id go with McDonnell's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Keogh’s Cheese & Onion are really good.

I know it’s probably heresy to say this, but ... I’m gone off Tayto.

The worst ones are those America brands that taste 100% fake.

Generally I can’t stand corn based fluffy snacks, although used to be partial to old school Monster Munch.

Also find all crinkle cut crisps disappointing.

Weirdly, I like French style “naturel” plain crisps, if they’re good quality (not Lays!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

King be much nicer than tayto in my opinion... seem to actually get more too in a packet but that could just be an illusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

megaten wrote: »
    If these were those super hard corn snacks I'm thinking of they were the absolute king. There's nothing like them.

They were. A dentist once asked me if I grinded my teeth at night because there was damage to them. I explained I just ate a lot of Crunchos when I was younger.

Advertisement