Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best & the worst crisps?

Options
12346»

Comments

I recently bought a bag of Torres Selecta caviar flavor crisps because they look super Notionsy. Saving them for the family to try over Christmas.

Anyone else tried them? Fully expecting them to be absolutely disgusting, then again I am an uncultured food-philistine. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Strumms wrote: »
    King be much nicer than tayto in my opinion... seem to actually get more too in a packet but that could just be an illusion.

I disagree King are thicker but they always seem a bit soggy in my opinion whereas Tayto have more of a cruchier texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

frisps weren't bad

furiousox wrote: »
    Manhattan cheese & onion.
    The crack cocaine of crisps.

cheese-onion-crisps-buy-online-150g-manhattan-crisps-265x265_c.jpg

Can someone confirm for me are these as good as King Pub crisps (which I assume are no longer available? )
    King pub are the best I’ve ever tasted but haven’t had them in about 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mrsgiller

Where can you get these (apart from things they used to call "pubs"), have never had them before.

My local Centra sells them, my absolute favourite and King a close second.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    These were genuinely the greatest crisps ever made. No smokey bacon flavour crisps since have even come close to how insanely good they were.

Captain Crisps weren’t bad either- I lost my Captain Crisps button badge some years ago- devastated

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Monster Munch crisps that were out years ago were the nicest ones I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Can someone confirm for me are these as good as King Pub crisps (which I assume are no longer available? )

Good call. Weren't those bad boys in a bluey/purple packet? Where have they gone? Manhattan are similiar but not as nice imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Have a growing and intense love for Lidl's own Sweet Chilli and Sour Cream.

2nd place goes to O'Donnells Ballmaloe Relish and Cheddar Cheese, haven't seen them recently have they been discontinued?

Worst has to be any Walkers, always disappointing, tastewise and portion wise.

Good call. Weren't those bad boys in a bluey/purple packet? Where have they gone? Manhattan are similiar but not as nice imo.

In the immortal words of Pink Floyd, I don’t know I was really drunk at the time :D

I thought they were a gold sort of colour

Walter2016 (who’s banned :P ) and rubadub (not banned :D )seems to have answered my query but won’t know for sure unless I buy a box
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057668023&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Darksoul

Best: Smith's Bacon Fries , they were a godsend in the pubs years ago.

Worst: Walkers crisps in general they are too oily for my taste.

In the immortal words of Pink Floyd, I don’t know I was really drunk at the time :D

I thought they were a gold sort of colour

Walter2016 (who’s banned :P ) and rubadub (not banned :D )seems to have answered my query but won’t know for sure unless I buy a box
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057668023&page=2

I was sober and a young lad when i remember munching on them. Could be 30 years ago. Around that time frame. I definately remember a bluey navy colour. Although i've drank a lot since then so maybe they were gold after all :)

Darksoul wrote: »
    Best: Smith's Bacon Fries , they were a godsend in the pubs years ago.

Worst: Walkers crisps in general they are too oily for my taste.

Dealz (Irish bricks and mortar shop) sell these a lot along with scampi fries multi packs - great value

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭White Clover

Walkers Sensations Thai Sweet Chilli are fabulous. They also had a Mature cheddar and red onion chutney flavour that were gorgeous. Don't see them for sale anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I was sober and a young lad when i remember munching on them. Could be 30 years ago. Around that time frame. I definately remember a bluey navy colour. Although i've drank a lot since then so maybe they were gold after all :)

I think they are still sold in NI but not sure tbh

There’s one up in NI called Tavern that are very similar to them.

Dealz (Irish bricks and mortar shop) sell these a lot along with scampi fries multi packs - great value

Yea only 2e for 6 pack when they're 1e for a solitary packet in other shops. 3 bacon fries and 3 scampi. Too easy too polish them off in jigtime. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I would say no. King Luxury and Pub crisps have never been bettered. The Manhattan's are nice, but very salty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Iceland do a sea salt and white wine vinegar own brand that cause instant white lips. 11/10 would recommend.

I know they are American tat but the Flamin' Hot Cheetos in the spiral cut are the closest thing to old school Monster Munch I've tasted in years.

Tayto Ripples paired with a Wispa is a longstanding treat for me, ever since secondary school. Divine.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

King Pub crisps were OK, but they never came close to Tayto Pub crisps. They were really special.

14192780_1776975775875058_7168353290536032397_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=Gf8_0v-s9ZoAX-Zerul&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=8f499b67223735e4d94574c5cf77d2ac&oe=5FBD97F3

Captain Crisps weren’t bad either- I lost my Captain Crisps button badge some years ago- devastated

Yeah, was a big fan of Captain Crisps myself. I remember saving up empty packs to send off for a Captain Crisps poster. You had to eat something close to your own body weight in crisps to get enough packets, and tbh the poster turned out to be a bit sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lidl have a brand of paprika flavour at the moment, quite good. I also like their popcorn crisps. Light on the carbs.

Advertisement