Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best & the worst crisps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I cannot, for the life of me, understand people's love of Manhattan. They are flavourless (the C&O anyway, never had any of the others).

And at the same time, people complaining about Walker's? The Sensations Thai Sweet Chilli are definitely the best crisp.

dotsman wrote: »
    I cannot, for the life of me, understand people's love of Manhattan. They are flavourless (the C&O anyway, never had any of the others).

And at the same time, people complaining about Walker's? The Sensations Thai Sweet Chilli are definitely the best crisp.

Whether you like the flavour or not, nobody could rightly describe Manhattan C&O as flavourless. I’ve never had a bag that wasn’t seriously strong compared to most other brands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I do love the Irish crisps but I do feel like the Brits have us beat on that one. Taytos and Hunky Dory's are wonderful but they can't compete with the likes of Piper, Tyrrells and Kettle. I like my crisps and don't think I've ever had a bad pack that wasn't stale.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭budgie412

Keoghs crinkle cut sea salt and balsamic vinegar, and Walkers Max jalapeno cheese. Nearly always polish off a sharing pack of these in 1 go every time

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Keoghs cheese & onion.

As close to crisp perfection as possible. :pac:

Worst? Pringles is down there in my book - dusty and the flavors are sub-par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

KP Mini Chips are amazing which is weird as I don't like regular S&V stuff.

Chipsticks. Sensational stuff.

Lot of crap about, but hard to say what's worst if I don't like something, I don't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seabrooks Crisps are the best you can buy just yum. Everything else is just horrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Peanuts

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

What are your favourite crisps and what are the ones you think are overrated or just plain awful? The most delicious crisps right now are Burts Vintage Cheddar and Spring Onion flavour, they leave Tayto Cheese & Onion in the shade. An honourable mention for Golden Wonder Sausage and Tomato flavour crisps - they're delicious.

The worst crisps I've ever tasted were Keogh's Truffle flavour crisps, awful flavour.
    I bought myself a bag of truffle flavoured crisps in Lidl/Aldi a couple of years ago.
    The fetid stench that punched me in the face on opening the bag was just indescribable. It was unnatural, like an alien's fart.

Into the bin. Never again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Best - it's hard to beat Tayto or Hunky Dorys cheese and onion really. Keogh's C&O were incredible when they first appeared, but I'm convinced they changed something about them as they just aren't anywhere near as good any more.

Worst - sour cream and onion anything. Who the fcuk decided that was a flavour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Where can you get these (apart from things they used to call "pubs"), have never had them before.

https://manhattan.ie/product/crisps-cheese-onion-best-cheese-onions-crisps-world/

Nom Nom...

Seriously delicious

dotsman wrote: »

LOL.

Maybe you had a dose of covid when you were eating the Manhattan as they are strong on flavor.

As for walkers sensations - advertising standards should go after them for false advertising.

Or maybe different people have different tastes :D

Anyone for marmite crisps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

WTF ?!?!

Walkers or Lays ready salted are the business. The proof they are popular is that most shops who sell them are almost always sold out.

Could be that they are one of the largest companies in the world? Tayto beat them hands down. Lays/Walkers are reconstituted muck same as Pringles.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

Zaph wrote: »
    Keogh's C&O were incredible when they first appeared, but I'm convinced they changed something about them as they just aren't anywhere near as good any more.

Same thing happened to Tayto Cheese & Onion. In the last few years they've completely changed the recipe. Where the Tayto C&O of 10 years ago were more full bodied and extremely moreish, the crisps that exist now are brittle and not so savoury. The flavouring is also completely different. Tayto C&O and King C&O are the same crisps, only in different packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

NSAman wrote: »
    Could be that they are one of the largest companies in the world? Tayto beat them hands down. Lays/Walkers are reconstituted muck same as Pringles.

You know being the first one is not always best.

When the iPhone one came out a lot of people waited until the iPhone X came out and it was worth the wait.

You cannot beat an auld Pringle - I’m awful parshalled to the sour cream and onion

Whenever I am going up to Dublin on the train I like nothing better than a tube of sour cream and onion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

Tesco Finest Barbecue Beef Crisps 150G are the best I have had in a long time for flavour. Tayto was never the same after the Germans bought it fully in 2015, still nice but hit and miss. I'll be trying the rest of Tesco's finest to see if they live up to the bbq beef.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Best - old snax

Worst - new snax

Catch the criminal !

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dynomutt

Where can you get these (apart from things they used to call "pubs"), have never had them before.

I often see them in SuperValu. However, they always seem to be placed on the bottom shelf out of clear sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Banshee Bones are god tier, I’ve become hooked on them since they came back.

The worst by far are those ones you get in Lidl with like 50 packs in a bag, Snackbrite or something. A microsecond of something that very vaguely tastes of the flavour it claims to be, then nothing but a bland 3rd rate crisp to chew on.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Sam Spuds Smokey bacon flavour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

GreeBo wrote: »
    "lays" basically fake crisps and the worst thing about being on holidays.

The best thing you mean. Love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

O donnels cheese and onion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Sorolla wrote: »
    You cannot beat an auld Pringle - I’m awful parshalled to the sour cream and onion

Whenever I am going up to Dublin on the train I like nothing better than a tube of sour cream and onion

You might like them but I have to tell you: THEY ARE NOT CRISPS!! They are some kind of American reconstituted potato-based snack.

As far as "the best" is concerned, I'm surprised that people are proposing so many options. By far the best crisp is O'Donnells cheese and onion. Delicious and addictive. When they are on special offer for €2 (big pack), fill your trolley!!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Best: O'Donnells Cheese and Onion, Hunky Dory Buffalo.

Worst: Original Hoola Hoops. A cult classic, but they're awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Thai sweet chilli...walkers are good, m and s or o Donnell's all yum.

I don't like those really synthetic puffed up corn snacks like burger bites etc at all

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Gimme a pack or space invaders above all else any day of the week.

Nik naks a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Same thing happened to Tayto Cheese & Onion. In the last few years they've completely changed the recipe. Where the Tayto C&O of 10 years ago were more full bodied and extremely moreish, the crisps that exist now are brittle and not so savoury. The flavouring is also completely different. Tayto C&O and King C&O are the same crisps, only in different packaging.

I'm pretty sure I read the old boss of largo salt that the difference between tayto and king is that the ratio of cheese.to onion flavour is reversed in king relative to tayto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

The two old reliables Tayto and King Cheese and Onion are the go to option a lot of the time. The only two to put in a crisp sandwich for me.

I do like Bacon Fries, Manhattan Cheese and Onion and Frisps Cheese and Onion. Disco's C&O and Prawn Cocktail are good stuff, also.

Some of those Cheese Puff's are tasty little buggers, too.

Golden Wonder and Sam Spudz smokey bacon were top notch back in the day.

How people eat salt and vinegar crisps i don't understand as they are possibly the worst flavour i've ever tasted. Rotten to the core.

Overall though crisps are a fantastic treat. I ike them a little too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Love too many crisps to have a favourite, but the worst is anything sour cream & onion flavoured.
    Or cheesy popcorn.
    Both are like smelly football team sock flavoured crisps

• Advertisement

Pringles are a potato based snack with a ridiculous fat content of 38%

Yep, 78g of that 200g tub is lard.

Advertisement