Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best & the worst crisps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,762 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seabrooks for the win Honestly if ye people have not tried them you should. The only reason they are not in every shop in the country is because they are far superior to all other crisps and no one should buy anything else after trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

O'donnell the ones with the ballymaloue relish. Oh my god just tell my taste buds to commit Hari kari cause it just won't ever be topped.

And doritos hot spicy

Meanies too

I am so so sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

God tier: Meanies (any of you potato only crisps purists can shove a barbed nettle up yer hole)

Worst: Perri crisps any flavor . I don't see them around anymore but they were the blandest stuff ever. Back in the day a multipack of them were always accompanied by a 3L bottle of country spring. Poverty snacks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

beerguts wrote: »
    God tier: Meanies (any of you potato only crisps purists can shove a barbed nettle up yer hole)

Worst: Perri crisps any flavor . I don't see them around anymore but they were the blandest stuff ever. Back in the day a multipack of them were always accompanied by a 3L bottle of country spring. Poverty snacks

Perri made up for it with their cheese popcorn though, sadly discontinued :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Homelander

Ah, a bit like all alcohol is good to an alcoholic, all crisps are good. Some better than others, but I really can't say I've encountered a "bad" crisp.

Best though - Pringles are up there, along with Doritos, especially the Chili heatwave or flaming hot cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Darc19 wrote: »
    Pringles are a potato based snack with a ridiculous fat content of 38%

Yeah but Pringles and Doritos are still much nicer than Tayto or King crisps

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Could never get into eating doritos (or any tortilla chip) by themselves. Lovely with dips and what not, but find them far to dry to eat them like a bag of regular crisps.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 34,659 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Short memories in here, this was literally resolved last year in the Ultimate Crisp Tournament;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2058009658

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Greyfox wrote: »
    Yeah but Pringles and Doritos are still much nicer than Tayto or King crisps
    The best flavour Pringles were the Extra Texas BBQ Pringles, because they were evil and would burn the mouth off you. They had to be from the Extra range, though. The texture of the actual crisps was still rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm partial to a bag of hunky dory's or O'Donnels.

O'Donnels have the advantage of being gluten free, my daughter is coeliac and a surprising number of crisps contain wheat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Keoghs crinkle cut range or Hunky Dory Buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Keoghs cheese & onion.

As close to crisp perfection as possible. :pac:

Worst? Pringles is down there in my book - dusty and the flavors are sub-par.

Pringles are sh1t. They are like the chicken nuggets of the crisp world. It's like they create some kind of potato slurry and then fashion oval slices out of it and cock the crisps that way. The texture is revolting. At least all the crisps mentioned in the thread, good or not so good, are genuine slices of potato.

Anyway I'd kill right now for 2 packs of Tayto cheese and onion and a can of ice cold Club Orange to wash them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Lidl's hand cooked crisps, lightly salted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Me reading this thread:

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Pringles are sh1t. They are like the chicken nuggets of the crisp world. It's like they create some kind of potato slurry and then fashion oval slices out of it and cock the crisps that way. The texture is revolting. At least all the crisps mentioned in the thread, good or not so good, are genuine slices of potato.

Anyway I'd kill right now for 2 packs of Tayto cheese and onion and a can of ice cold Club Orange to wash them down.

I’m not a big crisp eater at all , but Tayo cheese and onion are shyte!
    Sorry if that’s dissing a national treasure but they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

Soft prawn cocktails ones. Looked like little flowers. Loved them as a kid.

'Skips' Is the name you're looking for btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

cj maxx wrote: »
    I’m not a big crisp eater at all , but Tayo cheese and onion are shyte!
    Sorry if that’s dissing a national treasure but they are

:eek: Mods?

Nothing better than the taste of a bag of cheese and onion taytos from the pub 2 pints in

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

Bikers, waffles and the Tesco brand Onion Rings (big pack only) in a three way tie for GOAT

Walkers are the ultimate poverty crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Tayto Cheese and Onion are the very best but O'Donnells Cheese and Onion along with Aldi own brand Cheese and Onion are a close second.

Golden Wonder anything along with Walkers anything are rank and bottom pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

furiousox wrote: »
    Manhattan cheese & onion.
    The crack cocaine of crisps.

cheese-onion-crisps-buy-online-150g-manhattan-crisps-265x265_c.jpg

Probably because of the MSG!

https://www.planetcandy.ie/manhattan-cheese-and-onion-crisps-48-x-35g

"Potatoes, Rapeseed Oil, Cheese and Onion Flavour (Onion Powder, Vegetarian Whey Powder (Milk), Dextrose, Salt, Salt Substitute: Potassium Chloride; Flavour Enhancers: Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium 5' Ribonucleotide; Vegetarian Cheese Powder (Milk), Yeast Extract, Yeast Powder, Flavouring, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid; Colour: Annatto)"

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    Probably because of the MSG!

https://www.planetcandy.ie/manhattan-cheese-and-onion-crisps-48-x-35g

"Potatoes, Rapeseed Oil, Cheese and Onion Flavour (Onion Powder, Vegetarian Whey Powder (Milk), Dextrose, Salt, Salt Substitute: Potassium Chloride; Flavour Enhancers: Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium 5' Ribonucleotide; Vegetarian Cheese Powder (Milk), Yeast Extract, Yeast Powder, Flavouring, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid; Colour: Annatto)"

Probably is. It improves everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Kilboor wrote: »
    :eek: Mods?

Nothing better than the taste of a bag of cheese and onion taytos from the pub 2 pints in

My point exactly. With a few pints anything tastes nice, but sober nah. tatyo crisps are so thin they’re just a bag of crumbs. Loved in Ireland because they were the only ones available for years . The RTÉ of the crisp world

What's the latest on MSG, is it still a carcinogen? Where is it on the NPHET scale of terror?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

enda1 wrote: »
    What's the latest on MSG, is it still a carcinogen? Where is it on the NPHET scale of terror?

covid19 > msg so it's OK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Minichips salt & vinegar...unreal. Also a fan of Hunky Dory's followed by King/Tayto. All these 'gourmet' crisps are just a way to charge more money..no thanks.

Minichips salt & vinegar...unreal. Also a fan of Hunky Dory's followed by King/Tayto. All these 'gourmet' crisps are just a way to charge more money..no thanks.

A lot of them are too thick and risk to cut your pallet which is no craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

There is some notions in this thread, the answer is Tayto cheese and onion or nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Keoghs crinkle cut range or Hunky Dory Buffalo

I'm a big fan of Keogh's but find their crinkle cut crisps a bit too salty. O'Donnell are nipping on their heels though, had their hickory flavoured ones a few weeks back, delicious.

I do love the Irish crisps but I do feel like the Brits have us beat on that one. Taytos and Hunky Dory's are wonderful but they can't compete with the likes of Piper, Tyrrells and Kettle. I like my crisps and don't think I've ever had a bad pack that wasn't stale.

They're American

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Not a fan of Walkers but...
    Jalapeno & cheese. An acquired taste but my God i am hooked. Nice bit of heat off them too!

Wouldn't insult my taste buds by eating any of their other offerings though.

Advertisement