Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm looking for two new 650 R16 tyres and 5 stud rims for a trailer. Any place locally wants around €140 each, is that fairly competitive or would there be better value to be got?

Surely including rims and fitted that’s not bad at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The repeat can be anytime around 21 days but you'd want to be watching them for a few days before and after to avoid getting caught out. Any time a cow started repeating at 8-12 days or more irregular cycles I never had much luck with A.I. but that's just my experience.

The only time a 12 day heat would be acceptable is the first to second oestrus after calving. Other times she's liable to be cystic so it's not a true heat. It could also be a situation where a mistake has been made recognizing/recording heats.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭148multi

I'm looking for two new 650 R16 tyres and 5 stud rims for a trailer. Any place locally wants around €140 each, is that fairly competitive or would there be better value to be got?

R16 for trailers seem to be a rare size now. Are the tyres priced c rated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭148multi

Have a cow repeating today
    Calved in June and I decided to hold off to calve next autumn
    Bulling every 3 weeks, AI’d 3 weeks tomorrow, but in heat from lastnight
    Is there some reason that the cycle should change

As others have said 19 - 21 normal, I've always found anytime 17 days or under not a great for conception.

Be great if some neighbours would mind their own business. Spotted one climbing out over my fence, she saw me before I saw her, walked directly away carrying something in a bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Haven't priced locally, but that seems mad dear compared to on-line.
    https://www.tyreleader.ie/car-tyres/riken/cargo/6.5r16c-108-107l-508625?utm_source=compare&utm_medium=google-shopping&utm_campaign=tyre&gclid=CjwKCAiA7939BRBMEiwA-hX5JxIKh8KN0rL78iuowo5aEFnOJ-mYycbZxUpwuMS08y-I_Ld2u4CIdhoC1rQQAvD_BwE

That's the traditional "landrover" size.
    I'll be in Cassidays tomorrow, and I'll ask if I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Be great if some neighbours would mind their own business. Spotted one climbing out over my fence, she saw me before I saw her, walked directly away carrying something in a bag.

Could it be a leg of lamb?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

whelan2 wrote: »
    Daughter was thinking of teaching, only thing putting her off is dealing with the parents

I had an opportunity to take on a role in my local school but stuck to where I was 30 miles away. Was second guessing myself but went to the pub and was targeted by a father over a soccer decision and was very glad of my decision.

As for this crack on the radio about teachers, it is not countrywide and I reckon it’s a bit of deflection from other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The concern I have
    Lots take up training to become teachers but how many get full time positions

Was also reading on another forum of the lack of secondary school places for first years. Some people have tried 6 schools and all are full up for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

If they got rid of that stupid transition year it would free up space for students that can't get in. Five years is plenty for them to spend in Secondary school.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Haven't priced locally, but that seems mad dear compared to on-line.
    https://www.tyreleader.ie/car-tyres/riken/cargo/6.5r16c-108-107l-508625?utm_source=compare&utm_medium=google-shopping&utm_campaign=tyre&gclid=CjwKCAiA7939BRBMEiwA-hX5JxIKh8KN0rL78iuowo5aEFnOJ-mYycbZxUpwuMS08y-I_Ld2u4CIdhoC1rQQAvD_BwE

That's the traditional "landrover" size.
    I'll be in Cassidays tomorrow, and I'll ask if I remember

That tyre is basically €90, then add a rim, then pay for fitting the tyre.

Then your maybe bringing your business to a local lad who might take you out of a bind when you’ve a flat.

I’m all for buying online but if it’s close to local prices I’ll buy local.

I give near all my business to a local lad. Good lad. Two years ago my mam rang me at work that she was stuck out and her car wouldn’t start. I ran him, he shut the garage for 30mimutes and went off and sorted her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

tanko wrote: »
    If they got rid of that stupid transition year it would free up space for students that can't get in. Five years is plenty for them to spend in Secondary school.

I would have had that opinion too until my daughter did ty last year. I think she was very lucky as her school put alot of effort into it. Even though covid cut it short. She also got her part time job out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Anyone who watches YouTube may be interested in this channel.
    Irish family who moved to France 15 years ago, to farm.

https://youtu.be/UXWKEbP7A50

I would have had that opinion too until my daughter did ty last year. I think she was very lucky as her school put alot of effort into it. Even though covid cut it short. She also got her part time job out of it

Eldest did it two years ago and got allot out of it. In addition it’s another year older doing LC and going to college and that bit of maturity is useful.

Chap at work his daughter is getting over Covid for second time, had it during first wave also. She works in a nursing home.

No real problems first time but she was very sick second time round and recovery is slow, very fatigued all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I haven't heard much of the radio discussion about the teachers as I haven't been on the road much lately cause most of the cattle are housed and I'm busy feeding/bedding etc.
    I always reckoned that you would want to have your head examined to choose nursing or teaching/montessori etc as a career especially in this country.

I'd rather pick stones, snig turpnips, pick cabbage on a Winter's morning, pull my fingernails off, skip out 2 ton of feed from a broken diet feeder than teach or nurse.

Thankfully some people choose that vocation but unfortunately I think some diverted into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

I think mine are used to the cold and dont feel it :)

Ours wear their coats, don't hear any complaints

Jeez, did you not go after her and ask her why she was on your property and what explanation did she have ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

straight wrote: »
    No they're the football association of ireland.

So are the IFA...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭straight

Ours wear their coats, don't hear any complaints

Sure children never feel the cold. It's the teachers that are cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Base price wrote: »
    I haven't heard much of the radio discussion about the teachers as I haven't been on the road much lately cause most of the cattle are housed and I'm busy feeding/bedding etc.
    I always reckoned that you would want to have your head examined to choose nursing or teaching/montessori etc as a career especially in this country.

I'd rather pick stones, snig turpnips, pick cabbage on a Winter's morning, pull my fingernails off, skip out 2 ton of feed from a broken diet feeder than teach or nurse.

Thankfully some people choose that vocation but unfortunately I think some diverted into it.

Ha you forgot picking circular wire crates of brussels sprouts on a frosty morning .. :) probably as painful as getting your nails pulled. One of the worst jobs ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Michael J Fox on LLS, supposed to be one of the nicest guys.

Water John wrote: »
    Michael J Fox on LLS, supposed to be one of the nicest guys.

How was he? Got his first book must buy his latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He was in good form, takes a little while to tune into his speaking rythm.
    Worth having a listen to.
    New book 'No time like the future'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭green daries

Grueller wrote: »
    It's amazing what a bit of contact can do. Last Thursday evening I phoned a lad that I used to hurl with. This lad is 13 years older than I am so early fifties. He was on the verge of retiring for the few years I hurled with him but we hurled together midfield and struck up a good friendship.
    His parents both passed in the last two years and he never married so is living alone since and farming for a living so I just said I'd give him a shout as I hadn't seen him since the second lockdown started. We had a good chat for about an hour. This evening the phone rang and we chatted away for 20 minutes or so before he went silent for a second and thanked me for last weeks call. He told me hadn't heard from a soul in a fortnight and didn't realise how low he had been until he heard from someone. I was humbled by his honesty. I know that we are not meant to have visitors but I invited him round for the supper and a few drinks this Saturday evening. I think that the isolation is more danger to him than Covid is to either of us to be fair.
    Fair play gruller something everyone should probably just ask themselves is there someone who might need a chat

Base price wrote: »

You hit the nail on the head.
    People need to do what they are natural doing, force yourself to do something and you will never enjoy it or be good at it

_Brian wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head.
    People need to do what they are natural doing, force yourself to do something and you will never enjoy it or be good at it
    Finance rules the roost and unfortunately that's what makes the world go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Gillespy

_Brian wrote: »
    Chap at work his daughter is getting over Covid for second time, had it during first wave also. She works in a nursing home.

No real problems first time but she was very sick second time round and recovery is slow, very fatigued all the time.

False positive the first time? Great anecdote however, someone who has been all over covid since the start knows someones reinfected. What are the odds?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

148multi wrote: »
    R16 for trailers seem to be a rare size now. Are the tyres priced c rated

I thought R16 would have been a common enough trailer tyre but perhaps your right. What's C rated mean?

• Advertisement

Gillespy wrote: »
    False positive the first time? Great anecdote however, someone who has been all over covid since the start knows someones reinfected. What are the odds?

First time round she and both parents were positive,, now she and sisters are positive. I don’t see any reason why you’d say she was false positive first time. First time would be lng enough ago that they would have no protection from antibodies.

Advertisement