Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »
    And that was for years, this ''inconvenience'' will only last until the vaccines are up and running.
    Same with the college student whingeing about the lack of social interaction.... get a life eh.
    This present scenario isn't going to last long

That's what we said when the kids were sent home in March for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes, yes many of us sat in damp cold classrooms with leaky roofs and mouse holes in the floor.
    But life has moved on folks, I wouldn’t do it now and I’m just saying it’s tough going for students and teachers. Nobody wants the schools closed.

As for it being a brief inconvenience, this has spanned across the two academic years of current LC students and is continuing to have a large impact on their lives, if it affects their LC grades it has a direct impact going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭straight

_Brian wrote: »
    Windows open for ventilation. All windows open in all classrooms across the school. It’s like expecting people to sit day after day in a hay shed and concentrate for hours on end.

No it isn't. Heating is on full blast. There wasn't much heating when I was going to school

straight wrote: »
    I'd some laugh at them on newstalk the other day. "Teachers are working 14 hours a day at the moment and their under stress since april". I was rodding a few drains at the time and I nearly got swept away in the river with the height of laughter. Teachers lack of work ethic and resilience are a very bad example for our children.
    Not all teachers are like this, yes as in all jobs there are those who take the piss, but there are also those who can't do enough for their pupils.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Not all teachers are like this, yes as in all jobs there are those who take the piss, but there are also those who can't do enough for their pupils.

The view of some here on teachers here is like the view on farmers in other forums. Same with the intricacies of the respective unions/associations.

• Advertisement

Ya, he was a union spokesperson. I think they probably do more harm than good alot the time.

The irony is by need it will be allot of at risk groups getting it first any problems will quickly show.

For example front line workers, can it be made compulsory, and then if it is and someone has a bad reaction is there serious liability issues.

Our youngest go the flu shot yesterday. We’d never have considered it otherwise but times that are in it it’s higher take up that covers those that can’t or won’t get it.

My mother is interested in getting the covid vaccine but my sister is asking her to hold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The FAI are a Farmer's Union.

Danzy wrote: »

No they're the football association of ireland.

Other than a small number all the teachers I’m aware of have a great attitude and work ethic. Pleasant to deal with and genuinely interested in their jobs and helping students.

Every industry has its wasters, god knows farming has its fair share and possibly a few spares.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note; I've moved a few recent posts on vaccines to the Corona virus thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058059952&page=166

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Other than a small number all the teachers I’m aware of have a great attitude and work ethic. Pleasant to deal with and genuinely interested in their jobs and helping students.

Every industry has its wasters, god knows farming has its fair share and possibly a few spares.

Our teachers are very nice too and helpful and mad for the kids. They dress up for Halloween, xmas, etc. And they don't beat the children like the old days which is always a plus. It's the work ethic thing that I don't like. My teacher had a second job when I was in school and he loved talking about it and he was passionate about it. On the other hand I was dropping off my children one morning and their teacher was eating a bowl of cereal in the yard as the kids went in. She'd have got a ball in the face if it was back in my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

straight wrote: »
    No they're the football association of ireland.

Lol, that is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yes, yes many of us sat in damp cold classrooms with leaky roofs and mouse holes in the floor.
    But life has moved on folks, I wouldn’t do it now and I’m just saying it’s tough going for students and teachers. Nobody wants the schools closed.

As for it being a brief inconvenience, this has spanned across the two academic years of current LC students and is continuing to have a large impact on their lives, if it affects their LC grades it has a direct impact going forward.

People have done their LC and degree at every age, just because they can't do it at 17 isn't the end of the world, Most LC students last year seemed to have got on a lot better than expected. I've always said here that this'll have to rattle through the population of the world but now it seems that vaccine will be on track sooner, there's a fortune being spent on everyone, for one sector to be looking for special attention seems pointless...... apart from IFA of course.
    A neighbour telling me this morning that he got €10000 in the post seems to contradict my argument

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Danzy wrote: »

You could be closer to the truth than you intended.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

This is what I'd be thinking too.
    I've a young lad of an age to be thinking about his career path. Teaching is there for him if he wants to give it a go . It's there for everyone in fact.
    My own dealings with teachers locally are almost exclusively good. I know several involved with school football for e.g. who, as we speak ,come in for 7am Monday morning for training, after school Wednesday and Friday.
    A few give grinds foc to lads involved too.

Teaching is there for anyone that wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Were there cheques in the post issued in the last few days? Had 3 different farmers into me last night and this morning paying their bills for work done.

This is what I'd be thinking too.
    I've a young lad of an age to be thinking about his career path. Teaching is there for him if he wants to give it a go . It's there for everyone in fact.
    My own dealings with teachers locally are almost exclusively good. I know several involved with school football for e.g. who, as we speak ,come in for 7am Monday morning for training, after school Wednesday and Friday.
    A few give grinds foc to lads involved too.

Teaching is there for anyone that wants it.

My eldest is heading to teaching. She’s been very inspired by all the great teachers she’s interacting with. She’s been teaching swimming for a few years and loves it, really misses it at the moment.

My eldest is heading to teaching. She’s been very inspired by all the great teachers she’s interacting with. She’s been teaching swimming for a few years and loves it, really misses it at the moment.

Daughter was thinking of teaching, only thing putting her off is dealing with the parents

Daughter was thinking of teaching, only thing putting her off is dealing with the parents

Yes, what she’s found is that the pleasant parents way outweigh the difficult ones.

I considered teaching myself and one of my teachers was pushing me towards it, but my patience wouldn’t have been sufficient to keep at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Were there cheques in the post issued in the last few days? Had 3 different farmers into me last night and this morning paying their bills for work done.

Bit of Sheep Welfare scheme paid, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Water John wrote: »
    You could be closer to the truth than you intended.

Yea, they got €150m for their members in the last 6 mths ....scandalous

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Bit of Sheep Welfare scheme paid, I believe.

And beef finisher scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

The concern I have
    Lots take up training to become teachers but how many get full time positions

Have a cow repeating today
    Calved in June and I decided to hold off to calve next autumn
    Bulling every 3 weeks, AI’d 3 weeks tomorrow, but in heat from lastnight
    Is there some reason that the cycle should change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Have a cow repeating today
    Calved in June and I decided to hold off to calve next autumn
    Bulling every 3 weeks, AI’d 3 weeks tomorrow, but in heat from lastnight
    Is there some reason that the cycle should change

As in she came in heat at 20 days? 19-21 days is normal, won't be the same every time.

As in she came in heat at 20 days? 19-21 days is normal, won't be the same every time.
    Thanks good to know
    Generally a repeat is 12 or 21 days here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Thanks good to know
    Generally a repeat is 12 or 21 days here

The repeat can be anytime around 21 days but you'd want to be watching them for a few days before and after to avoid getting caught out. Any time a cow started repeating at 8-12 days or more irregular cycles I never had much luck with A.I. but that's just my experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'm looking for two new 650 R16 tyres and 5 stud rims for a trailer. Any place locally wants around €140 each, is that fairly competitive or would there be better value to be got?

• Advertisement

I'm looking for two new 650 R16 tyres and 5 stud rims for a trailer. Any place locally wants around €140 each, is that fairly competitive or would there be better value to be got?

Make sure the tyres are 10 ply minimum

Advertisement