Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

Golfman64 wrote: »
    But can we play golf?

Only if you use tee cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Jizique

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    "I don't know how we will survive as a country"

Pull yourself together. Many greater disasters have befallen the world throughout history. Each time we rebuild. The tools and resources are even moreso in place these days for a swift recovery.

The hysteria is something else.

We are running budget deficits of €20bn; people can’t afford mortgages or rent, and many expect a free gaff; our successful economy is based in inward investment and is driven by a high % of foreign firms and workers, who are now basically trapped here; who knows what might happen our corporate tax rate when SF take over, as they will - the left are delighted the economy is destroyed; retail is finished, dead as is anything to do with tourism - will take 5 years to recover, at best; and we have Brexit coming down the track, which will have an impact, even if some deal is cobbled together.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Hopefully they do open up

I think there'll be too much pressure on government to not have some movement on 1st December

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

GazzaL wrote: »
    We'll save Christmas you guys. I mean, Johnny may have lost his business, Mary may have lost her job, Paddy may have decided to go for a walk in a river, and Eileen may have decided to burn the house down with herself locked inside, but it'll be Christmas.

What a depressing post but seriously what are our options? We're all paying now for a failed health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Quite honestly after what they said tonight and the will to jump back to phase 3 I can see the 1st of December being a deadline for them regardless, the opening of retail etc for Christmas. I don't like getting political but it'll come down to that

Yes, it certainly seems that way. When questioned by a journalist at the press conference as to what level will the Government want the Country to return to on December 1st, MM stated Level 3.

• Advertisement

Turns out HSE is now treating workplaces like schools. Few positives where I work but nobody seems to be classified as a close contact despite sharing the same room.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

GazzaL wrote: »
    We'll save Christmas you guys. I mean, Johnny may have lost his business, Mary may have lost her job, Paddy may have decided to go for a walk in a river, and Eileen may have decided to burn the house down with herself locked inside, but it'll be Christmas.

That sounds like an average Christmas in my house.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    100%

NPHET never likely to release the country for Christmas

Very unrealistic

Please note that R can fall very quickly indeed, and predictive models with various assumptions can only estimate it from historical data. It most real world situations it generally does not correlate to the daily cases. Consider for example a thought experiment in which each member of the population self isolates at a moment in time. The R number has instantly dropped to zero. Even though there will still be cases in the following days and weeks, they are the consequences of R before the isolation event. It is this effect that is sought in a relatively strong restrictive programme as the one being implemented on Wednesday. R reaching 0.5 for six weeks within the time frame outlines is possible. My personal feeling is that it will not quite be achieved, but will be close to it. Probably sufficiently for a relaxation for the Christmas period, and an unlocking more in the line of that enacted in other European countries in the spring rather than the slower one seen in the Republic.

I don’t think it’s safe at all to run in the dark with no street lights in the countryside in the Winter.

Why not, plenty of light from a good head torch and a high viz on you, you're grand. Same as having to walk to the nearest village to get to the bus for work and home again in the winter months when I used to work in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭jams100

What a depressing post but seriously what are our options? We're all paying now for a failed health service.

Maybe actually enforce level 3? Build pre fab units around the worst hospitals (limerick, cuh etc.) Force people to quarantine when coming back from other countries or contract the virus in ireland with hefty fines if your not at your address. Make sure people don't go to work if they have symptoms by making sure a sick pay scheme is in place in all settings for the next 6-12 months, integrate restrictions with NI, however hard or challenging that maybe.

There u go some suggestions, but guess what, by mid January we'll be back where we are now with meehole telling us we're in this together, together my hole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Why not, plenty of light from a good head torch and a high viz on you, you're grand. Same as having to walk to the nearest village to get to the bus for work and home again in the winter months when I used to work in Dublin city centre.

Blind bends. Cars doing 100kph around said bends. Road too narrow for 2 cars to pass without wiping out pedestrian. Country roads around me are unusable in the daytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm a data analyst at a healthcare company. Technically, I'm more qualified to give analysis than that guy

Very true. However on my search I did find an advisory group to NPHET who provide statistics and models to them. They work in UCD & Mathematics is their speciality.

https://www.ucd.ie/research/covid19response/news/irishepidemiologicalmodellingadvisorygrouptonphet/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Well all we really learnt today is that as a nation we don't know when midnight on Wednesday actually begins!

I was always taught in school, that midnight was the start of the 24 hour day i.e. midnight Wednesday would be a minute after 11:59pm on Tuesday. Apparently not anymore!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Turns out HSE is now treating workplaces like schools. Few positives where I work but nobody seems to be classified as a close contact despite sharing the same room.

I think the tracing system is dead.
    No way of tracing every contact now.

Once cases go down over the next few weeks, I think the tracing system will come back, and that is how to keep infections under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

Summer2020 wrote: »
    Can’t stand this mc donkey clown

It must be exhilarating to have a whole country as an open air laboratory .
    Must feel like seismologists during live eruptions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Well all we'd really learnt today is that as a nation we don't know when midnight on Wednesday actually begins!

I was always thought in school, that midnight was the start of the 24 hour day i.e. midnight Wednesday would be a minute after 11:59pm on Tuesday. Apparently not anymore!

Me too!

So it takes effect on Thursday then?

jams100 wrote: »
    Maybe actually enforce level 3? Build pre fab units around the worst hospitals (limerick, cuh etc.) Force people to quarantine when coming back from other countries or contract the virus in ireland with hefty fines if your not at your address. Make sure people don't go to work if they have symptoms by making sure a sick pay scheme is in place in all settings for the next 6-12 months, integrate restrictions with NI, however hard or challenging that maybe.

There u go some suggestions, but guess what, by mid January we'll be back where we are now with meehole telling us we're in this together, together my hole!

You're absolutely right we need all what you mentioned. But our government failed us on that. Will they learn before the next lockdown though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

So Irish people are restricted to 5km but anyone can come into the country? And are they then restricted? This is baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Well all we really learnt today is that as a nation we don't know when midnight on Wednesday actually begins!

I was always taught in school, that midnight was the start of the 24 hour day i.e. midnight Wednesday would be a minute after 11:59pm on Tuesday. Apparently not anymore!

That’s why you ALWAYS describe it as 23:59 on Wednesday, for the sake of immediate clarity.

Or pick a time like 1:00am to start. Midnight always potentially confuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Is there any talk about the green list anymore............or is that idea consigned to the dustbin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

These f**kers think they are Jeff Goldblum in Independence Day. Giving it the large one and jizzing themselves over impending doom. And us plebs are the folks on top of that building welcoming the aliens.

I missed the discussion on this. Is it midnight Tuesday night or is it midnight on Wednesday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Jizique wrote: »
    We are running budget deficits of €20bn; people can’t afford mortgages or rent, and many expect a free gaff; our successful economy is based in inward investment and is driven by a high % of foreign firms and workers, who are now basically trapped here; who knows what might happen our corporate tax rate when SF take over, as they will - the left are delighted the economy is destroyed; retail is finished, dead as is anything to do with tourism - will take 5 years to recover, at best; and we have Brexit coming down the track, which will have an impact, even if some deal is cobbled together.

Lot of clues to your real agenda in this post.

Antares35 wrote: »
    So Irish people are restricted to 5km but anyone can come into the country? And are they then restricted? This is baffling.

I'm trying to find info on this. As far as I can tell people from the US can still fly here without an issue. Only difference for them is the frequency of flights and the state of the country when they get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

440Hertz wrote: »
    That’s why you ALWAYS describe it as 23:59 on Wednesday, for the sake of immediate clarity.
    or 11.59pm:D

Multipass wrote: »
    Blind bends. Cars doing 100kph around said bends. Road too narrow for 2 cars to pass without wiping out pedestrian. Country roads around me are unusable in the daytime.

Do they not have ditches around your way to stand on if needs be?

I know it's more dangerous in Winter than spring or summer, especially if people don't wear the proper gear, but most pedestrian fatalities occur on urban roads where there is street lighting and most of those in rural settings the pedestrian had been drinking.

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/rsa-shocking-data-behind-horror-of-so-many-lives-lost-on-our-roads-37377469.html

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CinderKone

I’ve been over from the uk and meant to return Sunday but will now leave Wednesday morning. (No symptoms, self isolated & 14 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Don't worry we can all tune in on Christmas morning for Tony to laugh in our faces while he has his gold plated pension for the rest of his life while thousands of vulnerable and working poor families scrape and get told how lucky they are to get the pup payment

Tony has his own difficulties which I wouldn't wish on anyone. He won't be laughing at anyone, he is going through a terrible time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

So what’s the plan anyway?

We lock down for 4 to 6 weeks, get the curve flattened, clap ourselves on the back and go out and get riddled with coronavirus again in 3 months time, having done absolutely nothing to prevent a relapse ?

I want to see concrete plans, not some wishy-washy nonsense imagining there’ll be full solution to this in a few months. Realism is needed ASAP

• Advertisement

440Hertz wrote: »
    So what’s the plan anyway?

We lock down for 4 to 6 weeks, get the curve flattened, clap ourselves on the back and go out and get riddled with coronavirus again in 3 months time, having done absolutely nothing to prevent a relapse ?

Yep, that's exactly it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement