Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am a fussy enough car owner and cannot find any quality issues with my Model 3 RWD (March 22). As good as any modern car. But love the efficiency and simplicity.

The car itself is not for everyone understandably, if it suits go for it. Only complaint I have is the price drop...😁

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Zero MIC build quality issues, fairly widely accepted now. Problem before was Freemont which was a retrofit and too small with compromised work flows.

Texax/Berlin/Shanghai all green sites so fit for purpose from the ground up

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Build quality on the MIC cars are on par with early 2000s BMW when they were a premium brand.

I didn’t get chocolate, flowers and wine on collection, but I did pick up a great car. The door trim had a tiny scratch on it which Tesla Ranger replaced at my workplace. Drivers window squeaked when wet….again sorted a week after reported while I was at work.

my only gripe really with the design is actually not the car, but the wheels. They beg for kerb rash. Need to be extra careful.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Is it possible to see the consumption per driver profile on 3/Y?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

There's a news story about yet more price adjustments. Is this Ireland or just the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I like my Dec. 2022 MIC Model 3 a lot, but I really don't think it's built nearly as well as my 2008 BMW 318D. The materials used in the Model 3 cabin don't feel as good quality or durable.

With a one exception (the front passenger door grip, which oddly started breaking apart/melting) and despite my sloppiness, the BMW interior is almost as new after 305,000km. The black plastic leather (or vegan leather as Tesla calls it) has held up to all kinds of abuse, sharp car seat iso fix edges, pens and markers from young kids, etc. A bottle of alcohol based disinfectant once spilled over the rear seats leaving what looked like a big stain. Even that went after after a few days. I know not everyone has the same luck with BMW build quality but my once long-term ownership experience has been good.

Time will tell but I would be very surprised if my Tesla Model 3 holds up as well. I might be imagining things but after 2 months/2000km, I feel I am seeing some wear lines on the edges of the front seats (standard black interior). It somehow feels fragile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

My inclination was to think that the Model 3 is a very good car to own.

Just wanted to see if owners on here think that holds up especially on a new one. Rather then me getting overly enthusiastic about it as an EV enthusiast.

Family member drove one and liked it so all is good from that prospective.

• Advertisement

I think it’s very subjective.

My wife doesn’t like them and I’ve missed out on some very good deals in buying one for her. She has at least moved to a PHEV so better than the diesel that went before it.

She will drive my Tesla no problem. She drove them all (MS and M3) but maintains that she wouldn’t like one for her self. She likes her BMW.

Once you get beyond the subjective items, looks, minimal interior, interior space, tech and UI etc then it’s cost. And cost will drive a lot of people to Tesla.

I’ve been driving EV’s since 2012. I’ve had Renault, Nissan, i3, Tesla.

Is a tesla the best EV, no. Is it the worse, no. It’s the best at some things and worse at others.

The big thing is that it is the most scrutinized car in the world. If a light bulb fails, you will be sure to hear about it in the media and the haters.

It’s very much like the apple V android debate.

I really like other EV’s but could I swap out of my M3P taking account of the efficiency, tech and performance, probably not without spending €80k on an i4 and even that has its flaws that I wouldn’t swap from an M3 to.

Post edited by Gumbo on

If you want to jump on the EV bandwagon either the Tesla Model 3 or Y (if in your price bracket) is by far best value out there at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I have one 3 years and zero issues, definitely my favourite car that's been in my house, or that I've driven by a long shot.

New ones now are 20k cheaper than similar alternatives either EV or ICE making it a bit of a no brainer, that's before you add in the integrated charging network.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

Does the M3P still put a smile on your face? I wonder if there's much of a real world difference between a M3LR with acceleration boost compared to a M3P

Great stuff.

And thanks to everyone who replied to my question.

Very helpful.

It does, every day. It’s my 3rd Performance Tesla after having 2 Model S’s before it.

Everyday driving there’s not a lot of difference. The older M3P is also slightly faster at the top end than the refreshed Model. The LR with AB is a very very capable car. The P just has a slightly more violent power delivery.

nowadays, I’d be happy with either and it’s why I’ve ordered a LR MY. And I’d say I’ll add AB soon afterwards if I can give up the M3P. Depends on cost to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Skipper12

Morning All,

I am about to make the move to EV for the first time (moving from a 2017 diesel A6 S Line)

The Model 3 seems top of the list for me at present, possibly 2020/2021 version.

I have scrolled through the pages which have been a great help in terms of feedback from owners of Model 3's (or from people that would know a lot more that I would about them 😚).

However, what should I be looking for in terms of 2020/2021 Model 3' specifications? Are there main differences that would be deal breakers from people's experience?

I see the heat pump is mentioned a couple of times and RWD versions being superior with range. Are these the two main things to look for?

Is the 2021 superior to 2020 for any reason apart from a newer registration plate?

I haven't got range anxiety as they may call it but would be interested in a real world experience of driving from Dublin to Cork as an example. I'd normally stop off at Monasterevin or Fermoy anyway for a coffee/lunch but wondering how long I would be charging for?

This thread has been really useful so far and any feedback on the above is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Another question.

In Irish winter conditions how does the LFP battery handle non Tesla chargers - ie ESB, Ionity and Easygo rapids.

Obviously with superchargers you can precondition the car before getting to supercharger.

But you sometimes see reports of slower charging with LFP in winter if no pre conditioning.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭innrain

You can precondition at non-Tesla if they are reliable enough. From what I remember you can precondition at all Ionity in Ireland, at the ESB hub and some other ESB chargers. Fox example Lucan was on the list. If you have one in mind ask and I'll check in the car.

• Advertisement

I may be wrong but 211 saw the introduction of Made in China (MIC) SR+ as it was called at the time. LFP was introduced late 212 or even 221 with the new Ryzen chip slightly slower motor and the new name RWD. There are overlaps with some models sharing features from both (for example LFP and faster motor). Pretty fuzzy now when I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The 2020 verison will have the smaller battery which performs better in winter, faster performance motor, no heat pump, still has lumbar support in passenger seat.

Dublin to Cork possible without stopping in summer and could be done at 110-115 kmh in winter. A 5min stop at one of the 8 chargers in Ballacolla would get you there no probs. Monasterevin would be too close for optimal charging speed, Cashel or Fermoy would be better.

A regular trip I'd do is out to the far end of west Cork from Dublin and can do one stop in Cashel, or one stop in Mahon Point in the summer for ~25/30mins, assuming driving at speed limit all the way.

Have a look at abetterrouteplanner (app or website)

You can select the different model years and see what the difference is for different routes.

Have one 3 years, zero issues and very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭wassie

I often precondition for other chargers also by simply selecting a supercharger thats beyond where Im headed, but on a roughly similar route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Whenever I have selected an ESB charger, the battery starts precondition

Stay Free

Yes but it stops afterwards not reaching the optimum temperature.(depends how far you drive from the navigation) It is better than nothing but not full scale. I have scan myTesla and I can see the battery temp which has to be around 50 Celsius and if I don't drive to the charger I'm navigating to, the heating stops resuting in lower charging speeds. Now I speak of 170kW instead of 250KW so not that bad :). I once used the supercharger without preconditioning and it started at 80kW and left when it got to 150kW. It will be nice to have a precondition button something like "set finish precond at 08:00". But Tesla knows best :)

I had a look in the car and it seems most of the ESB chargers are there now. Nothing from easygo though.

Was going to post this in the Model 3 thread but bound to get lost with all the posts on upcoming deliveries.

Whilst decent enough I find the 3 RWD audio lacking in depth and bass so wondering what have others gone for.

There is the Hansshow harness that will utilise the disabled speakers in the Model 3, but from memory this will improve spatial sound and not depth of sound

2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+ Audio Upgrade|SR+ Speaker Activation|Hansshow (hautopart.com)

Looks pretty straightforward but wondering has anyone here done it and for the 2022 RWD is it 4 or 6 extra speakers that will come into play...

Then there's the proper job from a crowd in the UK but prices crazy

Tesla Audio Upgrades | Model 3 Model S Model X | CEN Automotive (carelectronicsnottingham.co.uk)

Is there anywhere in Dublin doing active sub installs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭wassie

Then there's the proper job from a crowd in the UK but prices crazy

You're not wrong....thats bonkers, but theres obviously a market.

• Last but no means least is the CEN Audiophile Packs. If you like audio as much as we do and you don't want to compromise when it comes to audio quality, a full digital audio system is for you and prices start from £6799.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Does anyone have experience with HP with Finance Ireland? I applied for it through the Tesla website on Thursday, but haven't heard anything since. I thought they would have contacted me by now to submit some account statements and payslip etc.

I didn't get any confirmation with an application number so I don't even really know what to call them with. How long does it typically take to hear from them?

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Advertisement